Do you believe you were here in a previous life?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Do you believe you were here in a previous life?

If so, who or what were you and what did you do?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

No, I do not believe in reincarnation. I believe we are born with one soul and when we pass it goes to one of two places. This is totally our choice as to where our soul will spend eternity.

ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment jThomp42.  My 14 year old nephew wanted to know what people thought.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Renee.

3. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Born with one soul? So many treat their true selves as an "appendage." The child of God, within, was created in the image and likeness of the Father -- at the beginning! Human bodies came much later

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

No, but I believe that the life that is currently controlling this body, once controlled another body which eventually broke down and expired, causing a new life to come into being, to carry on the journey on the great wheel of becoming.

Thank you Mick S - so do you believe one soul has occupied many bodies??

2. lone77star profile image75

Like one driver occupying many cars. The cars are not important, when they fall apart. God only cares for the child of God within.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

yes yes , hey don't I know you from before this life what a smile  .....:-}

Aww thanks a horseback, my smile just got bigger!!!

5. Brinafr3sh profile image78
    Brinafr3shposted 11 years ago

I personally don't believe that I was here in a previous life, our bodies, spirit, and soul only lives once. The Heavenly Father don't recycle humans, although our spirits may make us seem that we have been here before by having "deja vu" clips playing in our minds.

Thank you Brinafr3sh.  I agree with you also - we live once and have the chance to accept God into our life and follow His way.  It's up to us what we do with the gift of "free will."

Interesting, but Jesus talks of reincarnation. Yes, the true self (soul) lives only once (forever), and the body lives only once (finite lifetime). But God created us in His image and likeness at the beginning.

6. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

Actually no, but what do I know, anyway? I do, however, find it interesting to think about. Once I stumbled upon a site where you take a test and it discloses what kind of person you were in a previous life.
    Well, it turns out according to that site, I lived in ancient times and I was a man who tried to bring about positive change in the world. I get the feeling that's what they reveal to everybody; can't imagine them saying 'you were an ignorant slave'.

Thanks Garifalia,
      I believe God creates us once - we get this life to learn, grow and get it right.  When we meet Him He decides where our soul goes - heaven or hell

I'm sure the programming on a website isn't going to have spiritual insights. But I do remember being an ignorant slave on more than one occasion. Once with resentment. The other with apathy. Neither with blessed humility.

7. loveofnight profile image75
    loveofnightposted 11 years ago

I'm not really sure but what I do believe is that the active life force that is housed in this meat suit was here before this body. I don't think that energy goes away but may change form. I guess I see it almost like the energy in a battery, where does it go when the battery is dead......all of this makes since in my head but looses something when I try and explain how I feel/believe...... As I was before my birth so shall I be at death.

thank you for your comment - sicne you believe the energy never goes away from the body - when one is buried - what happens?

What if the children of God were created in His image and likeness, as it says in Genesis?

That would mean that we are inherently not "energy," but spirit -- immortal, non-physical and sources of creation. Ego is our problem

3. loveofnight profile image75
      loveofnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do believe that the energy/spirit leaves the body upon death but what happens next are assumptions of the unknown.

8. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes. I believe in reincarnation and we are reborn to learn the way of enlightenment. Once we can achieve it, we will be living in spirits.

Thank you edhan.  Do you believe those who reach enlightenment live on this earth as spirits or in heaven or another realm?

When I studied Buddhism, I felt that there was a striking resemblance between Enlightenment and Christ's "everlasting life." Both talk of the reawakening of the true self, the child of God, within. This is what Jesus said to Nicodemus

3. edhan profile image38
      edhanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe those who had reached enlightenment are spirits or guardian angels for people like us.

9. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Yes, Renee. Thousands of them.

God created us in His image and likeness in the very beginning. So many, though, completely miss the point that God is not Homo sapiens!

Most of those earlier lives I've only received glimpses, and, like breakfast 3 weeks ago, those glimpses have been forgotten. But I do remember one life about 11,600 years ago. We had suffered a great tragedy and we were uncertain if we would be able to survive the coming winter. Starvation was a very real threat for me and the few hundred refugees under my care.

One day, I walked along the beach until the sand ended. I climbed upon the rocks under a cliff against the coast. Within the rocks stood a pool of sea water, and in the pool remained a cache of hard, green fruit from a poisonous tree above the cliff. The fruit was normally highly alkaline, but that which had collected in the pool had been cured of its toxicity. In fact, it was quite sweet. With this, we were able to keep our people from starving long enough to reestablish our civilization.

I remember one other incident from that lifetime. We were consecrating the ground for the building of a new town. Refugees were still arriving by ship during the ceremony. When the last small ship had been emptied, one man stood separate from the rest on the beach, looking over the landscape. Then I recognized him.

When I remembered this moment in my present life, my eyes erupted with a river of tears unlike any I've ever felt before or since. Not teardrops, but a literal river of tears pouring down my face. The man was my beloved who I had thought had died in our destroyed homeland. You see, in that life, my body was female.

Jesus talks of reincarnation. When he told his disciples that Elijah had indeed returned, but that no one recognized him, they knew he was talking of John the Baptist. He also talked of reincarnation when he said that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. This applies to everyone, including those criminals who apparently die peacefully of old age.

The Bible talks of reincarnation when it says that God hated Esau, but loved Jacob -- in their mother's womb. It talks of reincarnation when, in Numbers 14:18, it says that the sins of the fathers are visited upon the children of the 3rd and 4th generation. Not innocent children, but the original perpetrators paying for their own crimes. The same thing Jesus said about living by the sword.

Thank you for your comment lone77star.  I will make sure I go back and read those specific instances in the Bible.  I love this site -so many different views and you learn so much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)