Is it possible for a Christian and an atheist to be good friends?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image60
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

Is it possible for a Christian and an atheist to be good friends?

Is it possible to have an honest, open friiendship whose beliefs about God are different from your own?  What about evolution?

2. JMcFarland profile image69
    JMcFarlandposted 11 years ago

I'm an atheist who was raised in a christian family and was an active missionary for years.  When I started studying theology, apologetics and hebrew and greek, I realized I could no longer justify my belief in something that had no proof.  To this day, however, I have many many close christian friends.  When we talk about religion, we disagree.  We talk, sometimes for hours.  We debate, we argue, we laugh.  In the end, we're just people.  It's no different than being friends with a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu or Pagan.  Ultimately, religion does not define my friendships.  People do.

dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow!   Were you an atheist while you were an active missionary?

2. JMcFarland profile image69
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Diane - no.  I was in the field from 12-14.  I started to become a skeptic while at Bible college.  I didn't come out as an atheist until the last year or so.

3. dianetrotter profile image60

JMc, what was the tipping point for you?

4. JMcFarland profile image69
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I started to realize that all you needed to know christianity was a morally bankrupt system was the concept of eternal hell - and that no god would willingly send people there for being who they are.  And learning the bible.

3. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Sure. I'm Episcopal, and I have friends who are Unitarian, atheist, and agnostic. We talk openly about ideas all the time.

Evolution isn't a religious issue to me. There is no conflict between it and faith unless one makes the irrational assumption that either materialism or creationism must be the exclusive explanation for the existence of humanity, both of which I consider ideological extremism.

Attikos, I draw the line with the snake handlers!

2. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess I could be a friend to one as long as he didn't bring the snake to dinner.

4. Sapper profile image62
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

I was married to a Mormon for a while, so friends are no problem.

I'm from North Dakota, so basically all of my friends minus a few are religious. It really is only an issue when one side or the other because way too zealous about their beliefs. Sure there are heated debates sometimes, but that's the difference between friends/family and strangers, we get over it and move on.

Thank you Sapper!  For a while? :-)

5. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I certainly think so, as long as both are respectful of each other. I have many friends of different faiths, and that's what makes a friend - enjoying all aspects of what makes that person them.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's called MATURITY.  Anything is possible when PEOPLE are mature.

6. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Yes, even mortal enemies can be friends. You may disagree with, fight against, kill the supporters of....but you can still be friends with someone because that's a fundamental human need and far outweighs any imposed religious rule, catechism, principle, condition.

I believe Jesus Christ had a similar message - he called it love, based on forgiveness. To me this is the same basic idea. No matter what your upbringing, belief system, vocation, situation, friendship is always possible. Didn't he have a prostitute as a follower? Look no further than that.

100%!

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Well I'm atheist and married my best friend, a Christian. It is very possible, however it requires having a lot of respect for each other.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

i have good friends that are christians. my brother is one also . we just keep religion out of the topics we talk about.

Cute!

9. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Sure it is possible because friendship is based on more that our belief system. My husband has several friends who are not believers.  He is who is he, a retired Lutheran pastor and he does not hide anything. They often talk about things but their time is also spent on other hobbies, hunting, shooting, hiking - guy stuff.

And he is always willing to answer questions or discuss faith issues and they often approach him with questions...but he is not overbearing about it.  They simply know that it is a major part of who he is.

10. profile image0
    TrinityCatposted 11 years ago

Yes, it is definitely possible. That is of course, if each remains respectful of their differences.

Thank you for answering TrinityCat!  Happy Thanksgiving!

11. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 11 years ago

I say yes. Particularly if neither one of them knows or cares how the other classifies themselves. When we strip ourselves of those labels, we become more alike than we are different.

12. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

Yes it is. We should not be defined by our religion (or lack thereof). Personalities can match in several other ways and fields outside of religion. Religion might be a boundary that you both agree to not cross over into because of your differences

AMEN, preach to the choir. AGREED in utter totality!

13. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8318435_f260.jpg

Of course, spiritually mature and evolved people can look beyond religious boundaries and respect each other's religious/ethical construct whatever that may be.  People who disrespect others because of differing spiritual/ethical beliefs are spiritually immature and unevolved.  Such people need to become aware and grow up and live in the real world.  ALL is ONE according to God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)