Would you let a friend with a drug problem live with you to prevent him from bei

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Thundermama profile image91
    Thundermamaposted 11 years ago

Would you let a friend with a drug problem live with you to prevent him from being homeless?

I am faced with a dilemma, do I help a friend and open my home while he is in crisis, knowing he has a criminal record and drug problem or turn a blind eye to the situation, knowing he might end up on the streets?

2. xanzacow profile image60
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

Do not invite him into your home. This will inevitably end your friendship and result in hurt feelings when you notice items missing from your home and you end up with no money in your pocket. Offer to help in other ways such as meals once in a while or introduce a rehab program.

3. Elderberry Arts profile image92
    Elderberry Artsposted 11 years ago

No, I don't think I would but I would go out of my way to help then find help and support while being there for them as much as I could.

4. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

I don't think you can turn a blind eye if your friend needs real help. I would develop a strategy and agree it with your friend and one or two other close people. You'll probably need this guarantee if you're not to become isolated in your caring. Agree with your friend that:

1. they can use your home only at night i.e you have a bed for them to sleep in.
    2. restrict day time hours to 1-2 for a meal say or a drink and a chat.
    3. the first sign of trouble (stealing, vandalism, abuse) and they are out!!!

you'll need to be extra strong for the strategy to work. I hope you have close support too. It's always a challenge with those on drugs, who one minute are your best friend and the next your enemy.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

chef-de-jour, you nailed this one. I would add one thing, that the person commit to treatment--immediately. But personally, I've let alcholics stay at my house and it just aids and abets their cause--staying drunk. And heroin addicts--they'll steal.

5. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Not if he has a drug problem. If he ends up on the streets, that is his own fault. He dug his own grave and now he must lay in it. If he doesn't learn from the situation, then he deserves to be on the streets.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

If I had my own young children living in my home I wouldn't be able to invite the person to stay with me.  If I lived alone I might consider it on a very, very, short-term basis; but I wouldn't be comfortable with it for a number of reasons,

I understand that some people make the foolish choice to use drugs when they're young, and then things get out of control.  I think about the fact that someone is someone else's grown son or daughter who got in too deep, and I hate to imagine someone's son or daughter living on the streets.  On the other hand, I ask myself if I'd like to see one my own kids taking in someone with that particular problem, and I'd be really worried about them for a number of reasons if they did.

It's not an easy question to answer, but I suppose - provided I didn't have my own kids living with me - I might consider taking the person in for a very short time, and aiming to see if I could help him/her find somewhere else to stay (and letting him/her know those were the terms up front) and/or get treatment and other help from someone other than me.

Something to think about, too, is whether the person has a drug problem with something like his own prescription medications or other legal stuff, or whether his problem is with out-and-out illegal drugs that he isn't going to be buying at the local CVS.

If criminal background, criminal "pals", and illegal drugs were involved I think I'd have to put my friend in touch with whoever I could come up who might be able to provide him some help and hope they could help him.  Really, when it comes down to it, friends and/or family members aren't really equipped/qualified to help someone with that kind of problem.  I couldn't entirely "turn a blind eye", though.  I'd have to keep paying attention to where he was, whether he had been in touch with anyone who could offer temporary shelter and/or help, etc.  It is possible to stay in touch, let someone know he's got someone who cares, and yet limit how much he is allowed to become a major part of one's day-to-day life.

You used the phrase, "open my home".  I don't really think people who have children are ever wise to "open their home".  Homes provide a certain type of security, shelter, and shielding from some of what goes on outside the family and some of the people outside the family.  When all is said and done, I think people's first responsibility to preserve what home can offer to their own children.  Anyone else has to come second.   hmm

7. Beata Stasak profile image77
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

From my counselling experience, you will best help your friend if you give him/her information about the residential treatment services in your area. By providing him or her an easy access to your home you just help to feed his or her adiction. Sometimes it is the best for the drug addicts to reach that critical point when they realize they can't continue they way they do, when they are ready, there are many professional services they can contact to guide them through the hurdles to get and stay clean...good luck to your friend, it is a very hard road but worth travelling....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)