Why is homosexuality such a hotbed issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image64
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years ago

Why is homosexuality such a hotbed issue?

As a Christian I don't believe I have the right to make judgements. I also think it's interesting how we are supposed to be living with love in our hearts as Christ did but so many drag out the old testament when it's serves their purpose. Ham, Noah son explains the plight of African Americans, stoning of accused adulterers, cutting off the hands of a man who caused a woman to miscarry and so many other edicts that we now ignore or are outraged over. I don't understand bigotry and racism or its reasonable place in the universe.

2. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

It’s a hotbed issue because people have no sense of priority of what is important in life. If we spent as much effort working on peace and ending famine and disease we would probably have made this planet a paradise.

Persecuting people and denying them equal rights because of their sexual orientation is as ignorant, judgmental and wrong as it is to persecute people for race, culture, religious belief or the number of other things we can find to hate with.

SEXYLADYDEEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100%. I get so frustrated when I speak to people who claim to be Christians and the spout such prejudice. This election brought the crazy fringe out of their holes and we got to see them for who they truly are.

3. Amy Becherer profile image66
    Amy Bechererposted 11 years ago

I believe fear and misunderstandings foster all hotbed issues in society.  I just watched a PBS World program on the beginning of the AIDS pandemic in San Francisco.  I saw survivors that spoke about the horror and relentless loss as they watched nearly 20,000 of their friends and lovers die from a plague that left them reeling.  They, like the rest of the world knew nothing about the disease that was predominantly destroying the gay community in the beginning.  They were feared and blamed.  Thank God there were nurses, doctors, researchers and the dying patients themselves that worked to find the cause, treatments and methods to avoid transmission.  Although they were dying, most of the patients willingly served as guinea pigs for testing drugs to try to contain, maintain and look towards finding a cure for AIDS.  Today, as a result, many patients live normal lives with normal lifespans with HIV. 

Some people still believe that being gay is a choice.  Research today shows otherwise, with theories that the dominant hormone in utero (be it estrogen or testosterone) during pregnancy, determines sexual orientation. 

I feel that many organized religious organizations stand by the assumption that sexual orientation is a choice, despite medical research stating another theory.  As long as organized religion continues to castigate homosexual relationships as an abomination, there will be those followers that continue to spread a message of fire and brimstone.  They will remain closed to scientific evidence, since the battle between religion and science wages on.  Unfortunately, wars, in the name of religion, have always been part of history and will continue to be part of our future. 

Change is never an easy journey, as history will always remind us.

Well said. But my friends that lived in the village said that Aids was man made and introduced into the gay community using the ruse of vaccination. I don't think the "religious" care about how one is born. Is it more about control?

2. Amy Becherer profile image66
      Amy Bechererposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If control is the issue for the religious, perhaps the Catholic priests should set a good example, then.

4. Alberic O profile image56
    Alberic Oposted 11 years ago

It should not be If people didn't violate other's rights in accordance to our Constitution, we wouldn't have this mess. Despite the fact that we have a million issues to worry about rather than lose lots of sleep just because gays want to marry and receive benefits like any married couple under the law.

5. Dan Barfield profile image72
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

People tend t believe whatever they are indoctrinated into believing as a child unfortunately. If people thought for themselves the world would be a much more tolerant place!

6. By Lori profile image59
    By Loriposted 11 years ago

It's a shame that it is an issue at all. I have noticed that Gays and Lesbians and Transgenders could care less what other people do. They have no trouble with you if you are straight. Why should they ? So why should "we" have trouble with them ? But everyone knows that "straight" people hate,harass and even murder homosexuals. Why can't straight people just live and let live ? Of course many of us do - I'm just pointing something out here. Gays hardly go around harassing straight people.

Do straights see themselves as "non perverts" ?  OK then explain why so many "straights" rape,kill,pedophile and so on. Obviously, many straight people are not exactly Angels. Being straight does not mean perfect above all other people.
    And being homosexual does not equal some kind of "pervert".

God doesn't make any junk. God made Gay people. Being Gay is not a choice, it's a scientific fact that a brain is either or male or female {I am now talking into Transgender territory} By looking down on homosexuals or anyone, you are judging God's creation {obviously I believe in God}.

It's sad that some people look at Gays as a personal insult. But maybe those hateful people are not very spiritually evolved.  As if a person would choose to be Gay, or could choose ? A Gay person has to contend with a lot, {harassment,attitudes,hate,attacks,murder....},it's not a choice, they were "born that way" like straight people are born their way. Why would they "choose" such a life, since they are given such a hard time ?  I'm not saying they should not be proud of themselves.

I wrote this in honor of my favorite Uncle. He was Gay as heck and I adored him. He was funny,sweet,creative and never failed to help any family member who asked for any kind of assistance. He took care of his mother on a day to day basis till the end of her life. He served in the Military. And he's now with God.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really well said!

7. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

Because there is no way to isolate people based on their positions.  There is overlap and impact.

8. lanablackmoor profile image83
    lanablackmoorposted 11 years ago

I ask myself this question a lot. All I've ever wanted was to live a normal, happy, productive life with my one partner, the woman I've known since we were both 13. We pay our taxes, we have stable jobs, we give to charity and volunteer our time for causes we care about. Our "gay lifestyle" involves working, grocery shopping and hanging out at the dog park with our puppy. No hidden agenda here, and yet you'd think we were plotting a world takeover.

I don't even care if others "disagree" with my "lifestyle". If they want to imagine some gay conspiracy theory to get worked into a tizzy about, that's their problem; I have better things to do and more positive matters to fill my mind with. I just care when those people fight against my right to live a normal, equal life with my partner. A life they take for granted by getting divorced and remarried, which is equally taboo and forbidden according to the Scriptures they tout, if not moreso.

It's really quite baffling and disturbing to think that there are so many people who will never even meet me and yet they feel they have a right to deny me the same rights they take for granted. It's encouraging to see that there are others who find the bigotry mystifying as well. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Thank you for your input. We are all one race, the human race. So why we feel a need to divide and "conquer" I will never understand. Why do people think they need to stand on another to be more themselves has always baffled me. U enriched the convo.

9. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I agree with you and it's so nice to hear a Christian stand up for the gay community.  No one deserves to be hated or discriminated against for simply being who they are.  People for centuries have twisted words of various holy books to make them say what they want to hear.  I am not religious, but was raised in a church that was notorious for not practicing the love and tolerance they preached... makes me sad.

Why is it people who claim to live an upright, loving and caring life can so often be judgemental "pricks". Thanks. Dee

10. mattheos profile image71
    mattheosposted 11 years ago

The reason I think it's so touchy is because people are trying to use behavior to define identity. Homosexuality isn't a valid grouping - like African American, Asian, Indian or other ethnic groups. It isn't a skin color or a nationality. It's a behavior.
    Try as they may, no genetic material has ever been assigned to homosexuality - there is no gay gene. Think about this. There are cases where identical twins (exact DNA copies) have grown up, one heterosexual and one homosexual.
    I'm not against homosexuals, just like I'm not against thieves, murderers, or liars. I simply accept God's word that their BEHAVIOR is wrong.

They haven't found a definitive gene yet. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Science and psychology accept that people are born gay. I believe that God doesn't make mistakes. The bible is the foundation of my beliefs & its subject 2 interpretat

2. mattheos profile image71
      mattheosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right, they haven't found one yet....so how can "science" accept that people are born this way? I propose to you that they only accept this because they're HOPING to find something!
      Anyway, why should we be so focused on finding some non-exist

11. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Because there is a lack of willingness to try and understand. People fear what they do not understand, and unfortunately fear breeds hatred in many people, because it's not 'cool' or 'okay' to be scared/fearful, but the emotion of anger is much more readily accepted (anger towards a group = hatred.

Thank you SexyladyDee for this question

Have you noticed that the people who say it's "a choice" aren't those who are homosexual?  You'd think that those of us who are gay would have a better idea on whether we choose this or not, don't you?  And from this lesbian - I certainly didn't - I wouldn't change if I could though.

I'm not saying - come over to the Rainbow side.  That is not necessary to understand LGBT people.  But being willing to ask the right questions, and listen to the answer is necessary.  We, as a legitimate grouping of people, have to listen to the side of "homosexuality is an abomination/nasty/gross/unnatural" all the time.  Listening to it does not make us hateful, religious, or even straight - regardless of what many people think it will do.  Listening to it helps us to understand where the hatred and fear is coming from.

I know a great number of people who are of all faiths who preach what you are speaking of - love, non-judgement, acceptance, and peace.  I am proud to call these people my friends.  It does not mean that they would partake in homosexuality if it were a choice (which it isn't), but that they realise, we are both made in God's image - perfect just as  we are.

I have no issue with anyone's faith.  I believe that if it makes you happy and content and harms none - believe in who you will.  Be it Yeshua, Jesus, the Holy Trinity, Allah, Buddha, The Goddess, etc etc.  I do have an issue when someone's faith makes them feel entitled to deny me and mine rights that every other human citizen of this fine planet are entitled too. I'm not talking about gay marriage - I'm talking about human rights - Uganda has a "Kill the Gays" bill in parliament right now that is very likely going to pass - making it punishable by death to be gay, or even rumoured to be gay.  And unfortunately here and on other forums, there are people who say things that are almost as bad, who claim to be religious and would scorn such things normally had it been for any other reason.

I'm all for education - of both sides.  LGBT in regards to religious beliefs, and religious people and others of what it actually means to be gay. If you're up for it - let me know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)