Are Women the weaker sex?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Stickypony profile image67
    Stickyponyposted 11 years ago

Are Women the weaker sex?

This is something that a teacher told me for many years and still suprises me. Is this something people really think?

2. jennshealthstore profile image80
    jennshealthstoreposted 11 years ago

I do not think so. A woman can be strong and a woman can be weak. A man can be strong, a man can be weak. And really sometimes we need weakness in order to achieve strength. How can we know what strength really is if we are never weak.

3. Sue B. profile image92
    Sue B.posted 11 years ago

I find it interesting when we attempt to generalize a whole group of people.  Labeling a gender as strong or weak is generalizing half the population!  There are strong men and women and there are weak men and women.  People are diverse and vary greatly.  Gender contributes to who we are but not as much as I think we give it credit for.  We are dynamic beings.  If we are weak, there is more than our gender to blame and if we are strong, there is much more than our gender to credit.

4. jlpark profile image78
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Did the teacher happen to be male? I don't wish to generalise, but women don't tend to say such things. 

I am in agreeance with everyone else - gender isn't an indication of strength or weakness. Character is.

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very well said.

5. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Of course not. We women are quite strong, in many cases stronger than men in a variety of areas. I agree with JennsHealthStore. In my opinion there is no stronger or weaker sex, I've seen very strong people of both sexes whether they survive life threatening situations, abuse, financial failure, naysayers, etc. Those who believe there is a weaker sex may feel inferior themselves and could be trying to take billiions of people along for the ride with them.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Almighty doesn't just feel women are the weaker sex...He knows it and I seriously doubt He suffers from an inferiority complex or wants to mislead billions of people.

2. Express10 profile image85

I can respect it, but I totally disagree with your opinion. As you said, you see "weak minded men and strong willed women." Wrong choice of words perhaps?

3. profile image0

No. It just means that many men have given up their God-given authority and have become subservient. Instead of leading...they are following after women like trained little lap dogs. Being a strong-willed or stiff-necked woman is not a good thing.

4. Express10 profile image85

I think that being a strong-willed or stiff-necked man or woman is not a good thing. But, the great book's words can be used to bolster anyone's opinion. That does not prove there is a weaker sex, strength is easily seen in either and both.

5. profile image0

Forgive me Express 10...if I have to choose between your biased, self serving opinion and the Almighty's word...He wins and you lose...hands down. Sorry.

6. Express10 profile image85

The one who is quite biased and stiff necked appears to be you. I said nothing to you, simply answered a question and you commented. If you disagree, do so respectfully. Go off and actually learn from your Bible!

7. jlpark profile image78
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CJ - I agree with Express. Respectfully disagreeing will get you and your God further than being disrespectful.  No one is disrespecting you, why must you disrespect them??  I don't mean agree with them...I mean disagree with respect.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I don't believe that weakness is gender specific. Before the Women's Movement in the 1960-70s, women deferred to men on most issues except domestic ones. In some parts of the world this is still true today because of religious beliefs and cultural practices. Generally, women tend to be more sensitive/emotional and men more physical/aggressive because of our hormones, but this shifts with age. I even wonder if these tendencies are inherent or learned!  Character is more a factor in determining weakness than gender since motivation fuels strength. Physical attributes vary w/ each individual also.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

Men are weaker, because they only treat with people that they think they can dominate. Women are not weak. They are just insecure.

8. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

This question is too general.  Depending on your view of women, you may say yes.  Depending on your past relationships you may say yes.  I think some women are weaker than men, physical and mentally.  But, there are alot of other factors including self esteem, culture, upbringing, etc.

1. profile image0

Renee: Just so you know...the greatest person I had ever known was my grandmother. She had a rock-solid character and she had a powerful walk with the Almighty. Anyone who walks that closely with God is going to be strong, regardless of their gender.

9. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

Women are the weaker sex.  That is what I think.  When I want to get rid of fat I exercise and build muscle.  I become stronger.  Most of the women I know actually weaken themselves when they try to lose fat.  They eat less food so they have less energy.  A lot of women think muscle is bad.  Men like to be strong and women like to be weak.

Of course not all men want to be strong and not all women want to be weak but women are usually weaker than men because they don't do anything to make themselves stronger.  Generally when men want better bodies they exercise and become stronger.  When women want a better body they go on diets that are bad for their health.

Being weaker is mostly a choice.  Not only do a lot of women chose to be weak but they choose to have children with big strong men.  As a result men have a slight advantage because of their genetics.

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha!  You're talking about muscles. What about brains?  Just because you ca lift a ton of bricks - how can you use that to tell me you're stronger when it comes to real life issues.

2. mikejhca profile image93
      mikejhcaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In general men have more control over their emotions and have more will power because they have had more practice.  Women are ruled by their emotions more often.  They are more likely to temporarily become non functional.

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
      ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hear ya.  We are more emotional.  But, showing emotions is not a sign of weakness either.

4. jlpark profile image78

Being strong enough to be willing to express emotions rather than suppress those that aren't anger is the thing that makes women the stronger sex.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As the saying goes, " a woman's work is never done."  We are so adept at juggling and accomplishing tasks that most men don't even notice . I've never met a man who can keep up in this way. In many cases, women lay the groundwork for a man's success.

10. calynbana profile image76
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

Physically it is more common for women to be weaker than men, just as it is with most mammals. Are there exceptions? Of course! But generally women are weaker, I am unlikely to ever win a fair fight with a man. I am just physically incapable. There is that aspect of size and muscle density, men just tend to have both advantages. Women do not build muscle in the same way as men, our bodies work differently. We are built differently.

Are there certain aspects in which women are stronger? Yes, women tend to have a higher pain tolerance. This makes sense given our child bearing capabilities. Women tend to have stronger legs...this is again related to child bearing.

Now if you mean psychologically weaker, then that is a different story. You cannot generalize quite so much, it really depends on each individual.

11. MichaelJohnMele profile image62
    MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years ago

Not at all...woman are by far the stronger sex...men (for the most part anyway) are a bunch of punks...most of us could never go through what woman have to endure without crying like a newborn baby. It takes more than muscles to be strong...just saying.

1. profile image0

Michael...forgive me while I vomit.

2. jlpark profile image78

Cj - no one is being disrespectful about yr opinion. There is no need for that from you either

3. profile image0

Any decent man should take great offense to this comment.

4. Express10 profile image85

I agree with MichaelJohnMele and JLPark's observations.

5. profile image0

Express 10: Of course you agree with those who back your play and echo your sentiments. You have a vested interest in seeing it this way. You have expressed your opinion and although I think it is errant...it is your constitutional right to be wrong.

6. MichaelJohnMele profile image62
      MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@CJ Sledgehammer I'm not saying that all men are weak, or that there aren't strong-willed men out there who could hang with the best of them...but when it comes right down to it, I do believe that women are the stronger sex.

12. profile image56
    NgoReviewForYouposted 11 years ago

No sex is weaker. Men and Women are equal. It just depends who is willing to show their Inner self. Both have the brains to either outsmart the other, muscle isn't required to be stronger just brain. Both Gender can be weak it just depends who uses their brain smarter

1. profile image0

Men and women are equal? Since when? I think comparing men and women are like comparing apples and oranges. Women fail when acting like men and a man is a poor excuse for a woman. Both, when acting like God intended, complement each other perfectly.

2. Stickypony profile image67
      Stickyponyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like god intended? So god created social patterns that changes all the time? Intresting. I find it only natural that we dont act like we did for 100-300 years ago.

3. calynbana profile image76
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You think we act differently?

13. Stickypony profile image67
    Stickyponyposted 11 years ago

Interesting how people respond to this question. My opinion is that it's a bad idea to generalise and say that one sex is better then the other.
    What I do think is intresting is how people think it's possible to even compare male and females like this, saying that either females or males are better then the other.
    I think that shows how much we need to work on getting males and females to come toghter and treat everyone as equales, no matter the sex.

14. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

The Almighty is the author of life and He made man and woman. He specifically said that woman is the weaker sex and He wasn't talking about her ability to do push ups or quantum mechanics.

It was even seen in the Garden of Eden that Satan worked through the woman to get to Adam, because he could not deceive the man.

It was also the woman that believed the lie that she could be like a god. Adam sinned by listening to her counsel thus he allowed her to proceed down the path of self-destruction, very much like what men are doing today.

The Bible is very clear that it was through woman that sin and death entered into the world. And, I don't see where it has let up. Just look around you at all the broken homes, divorces, and abortions. What I see is a bunch of weak-minded men and a bunch of strong-willed women. Nothing has changed in 10,000 years.

It is what it is.

1. jlpark profile image78

Thanks for your comments. Interesting you believe that the world has been around 10,000 years. Given those who believe as you do so fervently in God believe its only 6,000.
      Perhaps you missed a zero or three and u believe in evolution? Smiles

2. calynbana profile image76

In order to believe that the earth is that young one would have to read the Bible uncritically . Micro evolution is observable and true, I don't know any Christians who would argue against this.

3. profile image0

If you reread my comment more carefully, you will find that I never made a claim as to how old the earth may be, but it's probably not very old. My statement reflected my best guess on how long humans may have been here, based upon Biblical sources.

4. calynbana profile image76

I want to clarify that my comment was in response to jlpark

5. jlpark profile image78

Exactly and if you believe Genesis, Adam and Eve were created AFTER the creation of Earth. Which is COMMONLY spoken of by Christians as 6000yrs.  I'm agnostic, believe in Evolution so no need to convince me. I'm merely repeating info Christians give.

6. calynbana profile image76

That is not a number a Christian would come up with if they were seriously studying their Bibles. As a Christian I think that it is ridiculous. As I said, I have never heard any Christian propose these things as truth. Generalizing.

7. jlpark profile image78

Calynbana - then you're speaking with more intelligent Christians than I do! (aside from friends!). I just don't think either sex is weaker, nor designed that way by God or... But your response gave me an idea for a question, thanks!

8. profile image0

So, Christina, I would love to hear what you and your "serious" Christian friends have to say about creation with special emphasis on how long humans have been here...Biblically speaking (of course).

Jacqui: You are free to believe whatever you like

9. jlpark profile image78

CJ - As are you.
      I'd like to hear what Calybana has to say to...in a curious way really.

10. profile image0

It will be interesting to see what Christina comes up with, taking into account I have studied the Bible and evolution for over 30 years. One cannot get (much) more serious than that.

11. jlpark profile image78

There is a commenter on my question in regards to whether one can believe in Creation and Micro-Evolution who is both Christian and a scientist - he had some interesting comments on Creation and time of human existence that makes sense to me even!

12. Ratatosk profile image57
      Ratatoskposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said - weak-minded men and strong-willed women - I like this phrase :-)

15. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 years ago

Physically, men are stronger. The average man can carry far more weight for a greater distance. However, emotionally, in many ways women are stronger, and they have a greater tolerance for physical pain.

16. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Such labels all too often are inaccurate and potentially damaging. They also constrict our thinking which can be an insidious thing for Corporate Party media and government to do, even if only unknowingly.

Some societies have women rulers -- matriarchal societies. Many Native American societies were like that, and there are signs that the children of Atlantis may have been matriarchal at one time. And when it came to change to a patriarchal society, the term stayed with the role rather than the gender in possibly two such cultures -- where mothers ruled, so men became the new "mothers."

Georgia (Black Sea, former Soviet republic) is one of them. Today, the word for mother is "deda," while father is "mama." And a similar thing happened in Etruscan (relative to Basque). Both the Romans and the Greeks despised the Etruscans for all the power they gave their women. But wouldn't they have been shocked if they had found out instead, that it was the women who gave the men their power?

17. Ratatosk profile image57
    Ratatoskposted 11 years ago

No, I even think that women are stronger than men, genetically seen. Women have 2 x-chromosomes and men one x and one y. This actually means, spoken in pictures, if one x get sick women have a second one that can do the job. But since men only have this one x the y canĀ“t do what the x normally does.
    This is the reason why women get older and why men are longer sick then women.

Looking at the nature, for example bees and ants are all female. Men are almost specially made just so the females can reproduce. If they have done their job they have to leave and die. Bees worker are all female. Drons are only made in autumn for reproducion.

And if we look at us; our life started as female and we all were female for the very first 3 weeks. First after getting some speciall hormones some of us turned into men.

18. profile image53
    rameschgfposted 11 years ago

WOMEN ARE THE STRONGER GENDER PERSONS-CALLED-WEAKER GENDER PERSONS-BY-WEAKER MIND PERSONS-MORE WOMEN SOULS HAVE BEEN REACHING GOD AND ENTERING INTO VARIOUS TYPES HEAVENS THAN THE MISCALLED-STRONGER GENDER PERSONS SOULS-MEN-AT ANY RELIGIOUS FUNCTION-OF ANY RELIGION-YOU WILL ALWAYS-INVARIABLY-FIND MORE WOMEN PARTICIPATING THERE THAN MEN-MEN ARE MADE OF DESIRE SIDE OF INNER BEING IN THE BODY-HEADSTRONG AND VIOLENT-WOMEN ARE MADE OF THE FEELING SIDE OF THE INNER BEING IN THE BODY-GENTLE AND PATIENT-LEAVING EXCEPTIONS ASIDE-THAT IS THE GENERAL RULE

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)