Why do you write? Why is it important for artist to make art and for writers to

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Violet Flame profile image65
    Violet Flameposted 11 years ago

Why do you write? Why is it important for artist to make art and for writers to write?

Do you think, we as writers, artists, musicians make a difference to our world?
    I, for one, did not grow up in an environment that encourages and rewards creativity. In my world, it seems far more important to have money and status. In my bid to stay true to myself, I often feel very much alone and unsupported emotionally. Therefore, I often ask myself this question, in order to find my anchor in my decision to be a writer/artist. I will appreciate any imput and insight from you. Thank You xo

2. Wytchewoode profile image60
    Wytchewoodeposted 11 years ago

Violet Flame (lovely name) I would like to think as artists (an all-encompassing collective noun for creatives generally) that the world is somewhat richer for the contribution we make but, at least for me and I think it true of all artists, I don't think the choice is entirely ours. Painters paint, writers write, musicians make a noise because we must. It is something not so much *in* us but *of* us and is an impulse, an irresistable drive; in a way we are possessed, by whatever muse it is that drives us to paint, write, compose or create. I am a writer and I write simply because I must and I cannot envisage my life or my world without that. If others find some pleasure or discovery in what I write, great, but the prime mover is not for public recognition or accolades, or wealth ... although these are not to be refused smile, no, our creativity as artists in whatever medium or media we choose to work springs from a well deep within us that we cannot ignore.

Your second point is valid in that status and wealth have always been highly prized but I would suggest that any labourer is 'worthy of his hire' and as artists we are entitled to receive suitable recompense for our work whether it is a painting, an article, a novel or a symphony. Although our vocation is frequently of its nature a solitary one - we may not work the 9 to 5 in some high rise steel and concrete office surrounded by colleagues - there's no need to feel alone.  Join one of the many online communities or groups to share your work, receive constructive feedback or just chit chat with like-minded souls.

I sincerely trust you will find some centre from which you will grow and develop and that you will flourish and contribute something beautiful to the world. 

My regards

Violet Flameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wytchewoode, you are so right that we don't really have a choice in the matter. It is our nature to create, for writers write, painters to paint and singers to sing. It is part and parcel of who we are and the world is a better place because of it.

3. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 11 years ago

This is a very profound question - don't stop asking it. I find it interesting that people who value status and money above art actually do nothing other than invest their money in it: a nice house designed by an architect (artist), a nice car and other material goods all designed by creative designers (artists), a good meal in a classy restaurant (a top chef is also an artist), a night at the theater or opera or a concert (all artists). Artists don't just make a difference to the world... they ARE the world. And I believe anyone who has the courage to follow their own heart and discover their creative identity has more of an understanding about the nature and wonder of life than most other people. But don't get me wrong - I also believe that all humans are creative beings - communicators and expressionists... they just don't know it.
    Be yourself, express yourself authentically... that is the highest art of all.

Moesky, just read ur "Storytelling can change the world" and its title says it all. It takes courage to be true to ourselves and 2 follow our heart and passion. Without the artists, there will be no worlds, as there will be no story about said worlds

4. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 11 years ago

First of all do creative people make a difference in this world?  Emphatically YES.  Writers, artists, musicians, humanitarians whether recognized or not, leave a lasting legacy. an imprint however small or insignificant has each in its own way a value that will last through the ages. 
    As Christ himself said "a prophet is not without honor, except among his own people..."  Do not be discouraged by those who would devalue you.  They are the unimportant ones.  Rise above such critics they are the worthless of the world.

Thank you Pennypines for your powerful conviction! Indeed everything leaves an imprint, no matter how small. A butterfly flapping its wing is said to be able to cause a cyclone in another part of the world. No story is ever lost.

5. Beth Cassandra profile image60
    Beth Cassandraposted 11 years ago

In my opinion I am an artist and a writer, I like art because I like what I see, Art to me is at Christmas I like to draw my christmas cards, of views I know others will like seeing, usually country scenes of a past few decades or for a bigger picture,
    I paint in oils something I know is beautiful to look at, I do it as much for myself as for others.
    I write, because I like a pen in my hand about life as it is or I would like it to be,about life as I see it, and how it was now and years ago, I write what I believe to be the truth, however good or bad,I could never stop writing ever,, I write because that is what I like to do..and nothing will ever change that....money is never the object, I have enough..... Bess Cassandra.....

let's just say word is in your blood! It sounds like no one will be able to stop you from writing, ever! Good on you Beth, Happy Writing and Making Art xoxo

6. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

The creative people often see things around them that other people miss, they look at the world through highly sensitive, creative lenses and they are often amazed that what they see other people can't or don't even bother to see....their products of art or writing are often the reflection of the world how they see it....sharing their lenses of their special vision with the world....and we are all richer for it:)

that's so true Beata Stasak, we do present to the world forever new, fresh and surprising perspectives...if it won't for the creative writers and artists, the world will be a very boring place indeed!

7. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

Don't be discouraged by people who don't understand your urge to write. They sometimes don't get it only because they don't read. Practice makes perfect no matter what the craft so the better you get the more you want inspiration to keep going. Someone will read it.  Someone will admire your art. And someone will encourage you enough to make a difference in going forward or stopping.  Creative people often like all the arts.  I know I do.

ha ha " they sometimes don't get it only because they don't read"...thank you for making me laugh Diana Lee, there is some truth in that though, lol, yes, only if we touch one person at a time, it is something.

8. yankeeintexas profile image60
    yankeeintexasposted 11 years ago

I find writing to be a wonderful way to organize ones thoughts! I use it to share my faith, teach, and to just be creative. Writing, art, and music are also ways for to leave a legacy for the next generation to see how we viewed the world on our time, and to to give light when times are at their darkest.

Thank you yankeeintexas, yes writing is an invaluable way to share knowledge. Often I feel the urge to pass some hard earned lessons in the hope that someone else in similar situations might benefit....it's the writers' way of doing good deeds ^^

9. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

Like any human activity, I am convinced that different people write for different reasons. In my case, I write for the sheer pleasure of it. Writing mostly fiction, I particularly enjoy the process of creating characters with qualities and (a lot of) flaws, having the power to make them live, love and die at will. I think it is a tremendous, pleasurable power, and the process is harmlees to others, even if a character dies violently or painfully.  If in the end, I have been able to entertain only one reader other than myself, then I consider I have been successful. But if there are many, I'll take that too...

Thank you austinhealy, sounds like you have loads of fun with ur writing! I think the power of imagination is a real gateway into how we can create on a larger scale. There's a theory that says everything we can imagine exist. What a responsibility!

10. Brandon Tart profile image61
    Brandon Tartposted 11 years ago

I think it's a compulsion for me at times, and at others impulsion.  I disagree with the statement that the only way to improve your craft, is by constantly exercising it.  I think contemplation is key there, but as for writing and art, I happen to do both...either compulsively (long periods of art making and writing, or impulsively - struck with a manic need to write, draw, sculpt etc.)

Take me up on this challenge and be objective in your aim.  Listen to the band TOOL.  They make an album once every five years.  Other rock bands crank out albums once every quarter it seems, and their craft suffers from what appears to be their owners (labels) demanding it of them... they are no longer artists, but corporate washouts.  You probably know some examples, so I won't name any of the latter.  But I want to list several TOOL songs for you to listen to in the order I am listing them in from their first album to their most recent.  They own their own label, and they make ART because it inspires others.  I think that when we make art less out of coercion from what we have heard about how to improve, and spend time improving our selves, our art is made from an impulse to share one's development for the edification of others. I am listing the songs with their lyrics so you can see the spiritual growth of the Singer/songwriter, and the band as a whole since I imagine they all have similar philosophical, and spiritual thoughts.  This list is in order from their earliest records to their most recent.  We should take time to reflect on what we write, or what art we make visually because words and images are extremely poignant!  Here is the list as links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izLcXH0Hu8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZjGDYpQACc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h201m8_pkRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhvcqwZdaqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsZbL-Akms

11. vmoulton profile image60
    vmoultonposted 11 years ago

I write to purge. A million collected tidbits of data swarm my head as soon as my eyes greet the sun. I write to feel. After an unsatisfied customer complains, I vomit my anger onto a blank page. I write to grieve. I left my pain behind on a blog post after I lost my baby.

I write to live. When I don’t write, I read to live again.

1. profile image0
      Moeskyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pure poetry!

2. Violet Flame profile image65

That's absolutely beautiful vmoulton, and healthy! That way, nothing get pent up. You cleanse and purge ur energy system everyday through words. I do it everyday with meditation and self massage and every day there's more 2 b released. Happy Writing!

12. tomski18 profile image59
    tomski18posted 11 years ago

I would like to express myself and at the same time sharing of knowledge.

13. oceanuniverse profile image60
    oceanuniverseposted 11 years ago

I write because it is the best way for me to express myself. Really do not talk to people the best way, what I say usually does not come out the way I had hoped. So with writing it lets me be me, to express myself freely and be more open. Plus, so many stories to write, looking all over you can get so many ideas just by looking who is in front of you or sitting right across from you. With writing you can do anything, and as with reading you can travel anywhere you want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)