How would you interpret the use of angles in this image?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

How would you interpret the use of angles in this image?

It's not a trick question.  There is no right or wrong answer.  Not all of us are experts in photography, nor should we be to perceive and make interpretations.  Of course, there is a  reason photographers use angles and there is a specific meaning, but the idea is that the viewer would understand without explanations, hence the power of an image.  Any response is welcome.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7589267_f260.jpg

2. epigramman profile image59
    epigrammanposted 11 years ago

...well from this 'angle' the lady in the profile photo looks simply stunning .
    lake erie time 7:43pm

..oh you mean the picture below ..... well that was me today walking along the lakeshore road with the cold windchill coming off the lake - minus the white dress, the yellow shoes and the shopping bag.
    My interpretation of this photograph?
    It looks like a cover for a Pink Floyd album.
    Or a shot taken by a member of the Paparazzi Ants trying to maintain the balance of the camera and take a picture at the same time.
    Love the distortion of the compostion though.  No matter what way you move the frame of this picture - something else looks off kilter and not in alignment with everything else.  Boggles my eyes of perception.

1. RNMSN profile image61
      RNMSNposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you always know just what to say smile I agree too

3. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

Quite simply, I think the creator of this image wished to convey a sense of the 'world' being off kilter. Builds tension, and is slightly disturbing.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

The slanted angle of the horizon and buildings contrasts with the vertical angle of the woman creates an eye-catching effect. Normally I try to keep the horizon straight and the people and buildings at 90 degrees, but angling the horizon can work if not overdone.

5. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

Very clever... and well done too. I would say all the photographer was trying to do is bring attention to his work... creating within the viewer a desire to REALLY look at when is happening there.

It is romantic to think he was showing the world as off kilter... or showing his lady friend got it right in a mixed up world.. I would doubt the photographer had those ideas when he took the shot... he may have developed the idea after viewing.... but his main objective in my eyes was to get attention and do something unique... he was 118% successful at doing that -- so Bravo

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Loved your detail - 118, not 125 or 115...!  I would assume that the photographer knew what he was doing.  Angles are such basics.  But I love the answers so far - those come from TRUE writers!

6. leroy64 profile image64
    leroy64posted 11 years ago

Given the orientation of the woman to the edge of the image, I would say that the photographer is playing with the perception of gravity.  The woman appears to be standing straight and the world around her is not obeying gravity, visually. Normally we associate the bottom of a picture with down.  The picture takes on a more abstract and geometric quality that would have been hidden if the photo was normal.

7. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 11 years ago

The positive use of parallax error brings a healthy dose of imagination to the image. It is really intriguing how the perspective created by the architecture draws the eyes down the line of the buildings to intersect with the light post and then the structures in the background. The lovely model at center becomes less the key subject for me, leaving the elements surrounding her of real visual importance. I really enjoy this type of artwork, making the mind find the art within the presentation truly brings an elevated appreciation for the viewer. Wonderful light and shadow work here; making an all but perfect exposure. This image details just how critical it is for a photographer to "see" the light, while still managing to create top-notch subject matter. Wildly enjoyable!
    Thank you for sharing this work.
    Cheers!

8. Nellieanna profile image68
    Nellieannaposted 11 years ago

Since the lady is vertical in the actual frame of the photo and her feet, ankles & legs are slightly 'turned' to accommodate the apparent angle of the 'ground' on which she appears to be standing, my impression is that the location is set up to  create the illusion of its being at an unnatural angle, much as photos of people walking up walls are set up by having the 'walls' actually horizontal and people are just strolling along across them as they would the floor.  Simply showing the photo as if the walls are vertical seems that the people are walking up them. 

Her shadow's angle and size is an interesting anomaly, possibly the most clever - or the most careless - element in the presentation.

There are so many motivations for photo-tampering these days, it would be a wild guess to try to anticipate what this one is, other than an attempt to create a puzzling illusion, which it obviously accomplishes!  haha.

Nellieanna, the best thing about art is that you don't have to know what artist wanted to say.  What you see is what you get.  You have the complete freedom of interpretation.  I like how people view this image, it's enticing!

2. Nellieanna profile image68
      Nellieannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course; - the artist and each viewer is individually involved in the creation of art.  I like all the  various interpretations, too!  As you say - they're the value and fun of it.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
      Tusitala Tomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now, if the background had been a space shot with an astronaut it would barely have raised a comment.  Good topic for our Hubpages question 'answerers.'

9. Doc Snow profile image87
    Doc Snowposted 11 years ago

Well, it seems the subject is upright, while her environment is slanted far off the vertical.  There's a 'wrongness,' but it is in the environment, not the individual.  She is estranged from the environment in which she finds herself, but it is not her 'fault'--her perspective is the true one.  (Or at least the photographer's!)

10. DON DUKE,1VOICE profile image61
    DON DUKE,1VOICEposted 11 years ago

The one who took this picture know how to work the camera. Cool.

11. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I actually find the shot rather gimmicky, and so, not very interesting. Whether is was simply done ty having the woman lean, then turning the camera at an angle, or using Photoshop, it just feels like a trick. The only reason the woman looks "upright" is because the camera is turned.

I sense the idea is trying to convey - upright woman, twisted world - but it doesn't work for me.

If you took this picture, or whoever did, please do not be offended. I can be way too picky for my own good, sometimes.

I did not take this image.  The idea behind the question was to ask how a specific image is perceived rather than a general question what is the meaning of using angles in photography.  That is all.

2. SidKemp profile image86
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad. The diversity of responses is very interesting, and I'm glad not to cause offense.

12. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

Been there...been drinkin' that...time to sleep it off...

13. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

If she is leaning like that without any assistance,  she must have supernaturally strong core and leg muscles.

14. Critical Thinker1 profile image58
    Critical Thinker1posted 11 years ago

I see the photographer playing with line, a key element in any work of art. As others have pointed out we are used to perceiving images oriented vertically or horizontally, but many of the images we think of as having a horizon are actually using diagonal lines to draw our attention of a point on the surface (canvas, paper, etc.). For example, a painting of boat on the sea may use the mast pointing towards the upper right corner and the peak of a mountain pointed to the upper left. The eye is naturally drawn to the point where the two lines intersect - life on land and life on the sea, stable and turbulent.

In the case of this photograph the diagonal lines intersect at the woman's center (waist/hip) and the edge of the sidewalk and the street lamp. This image could be read as a as comment on how people (or women, or this woman) are at odds with the city street or that she is resisting being tied down or that she is anchored to the city street. kallini2010 I agree that the beauty of art is that there are unlimited ways to interpret it, there are no wrong answers. Thanks for starting this discussion, it is always interesting to hear how different people perceive the same image.

15. windygreen profile image60
    windygreenposted 11 years ago

This image says to me  :

The World is Crooked !!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)