What is it about aging that you appreciate the most?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. rosika profile image76
    rosikaposted 11 years ago

What is it about aging that you appreciate the most?

I have turned 30..really felt nervous about loosing my 20s. There must be good things about aging that you love the most. Please share your experience?

2. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

Being in your 30's is great ! You know what you want more in life & in bed. I am enjoying my life now at 47 except for arthritis setting in my knees after an accident a long time ago/

rosikaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you freecampingaussie for your answer...It is a good feeling to know what I want in life than to feel uncertain which I had felt many times when I was much younger before!

3. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 11 years ago

People automatically think you know more about stuff......and guess what? I certainly pretend I do!

You are funny......but you obviously know more about stuff with your experience...!

4. lupine profile image66
    lupineposted 11 years ago

The best thing about aging is the knowlege, that can only be gained and experienced throughout the aging process. I appreciate that I have aged well... feel and look younger than I am. (I have been told often, especially by those that don't know my age.) Don't  worry about turning 30, you are still young and have much more knowlege to gain.

Thank you for your answer lupine......Gaining knowledge and experience and having control over one's own life is is the best part!

2. lupine profile image66
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As you age, you learn not to let certain things bother and  don't worry about what other people think about your decisions.

5. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 11 years ago

The greatest joy is learning about yourself as the years pass. To be able to see how you were, how you thought and acted, and why you were so. The greatest freedom in life is to know yourself through and through, and then you realize that you've got complete control - and the freedom to "be" yourself without a need for acceptance or rebellion. And this process goes on and on - I'm in my fifties, and I see the lessons I learned in my forties. I'll be looking back on this decade to over ten years and I'll see my present follies more clearly.
    But you're only 30... don't make the mistake of thinking you're old - 50 will come and you'll see just how young you were, and you'll realize that you've still got a long way to go before you are old.
    Nothing really changes the inner-you with age... you just see life more clearly.

Thanks for your insight Moesky.......I can feel what you are saying already when I try to look back at my 20....I will try and make the best of my 30, I hope! ..Thank you again!

2. Abby Campbell profile image73
      Abby Campbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great outlook and advice! I just turned 45, and I can honestly say the same. Heck! When I was 25, I thought I was old.  Now that I'm 20 years older, I am enjoying life so much more.

6. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

I felt the exact same as you when I hit 30... then 35.  But, I have to tell you that 40 was great, and 45 was even better.  I think once you've hit 40, you see things differently in life. You will have gained so much more knowledge over the years in so many areas of your life. You appreciate things so much more, and you have peace where there was no peace as a younger person. I don't know how to explain it, but I still feel like the age I was in my 20s but better. When I look in the mirror, I am proud of the person I've become. I believe that you will feel the same when you are my age (45) as long you have no regrets. Mistakes will be made as we are all human.  Just try to make the best decisions that you can throughout and there shall never be look backs.  wink  Enjoy and happy belated birthday!

Thank you Abby.....I am looking forward to gain more knowledge and experience and have more clarity in life with age!

7. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

Think that you will live up to 100 years ! I mean to say you will be there to see the years 2080. You will feel younger. With every passing day you will feel more intelligent and confident. Try sharing your experiences with the younger generation.

8. BeccaBunnyBoo profile image60
    BeccaBunnyBooposted 11 years ago

Well my dear I turned 40 last year.....and am very in touch with your feelings.
    I think the best for me was being a baby,because I was cute and bald,no complained about my drooling problems,people always wanted to touch me or pinch my cheeks,someone would feed me when I'd cry,even if I was dressed funny-it was okay... I could blame it on my folks  and lack of fashion sense,and I could pretty much pee on myself......and people still thought I was cute.... let's face it..... babies have the life!!
    BBB

9. toshimi profile image61
    toshimiposted 11 years ago

Wisdom and maturity are the first two words that come to mind. We go through different events in our life that give us wisdom and maturity. My beliefs are that you can never appreciate the things in life that you don't go through personally. The joys, the struggles, the pain are personal life experiences that we go through to become who we are. With that comes wisdom and maturity. Now, 2 years before my 40th birthday, I have gone through A WHOLE LOT, to me more than the average person my age should have gone through. I've seen the hardest of "hard times" and wish I could go back and make better decisions, but I am not crying about it because what I went through made me who I am today.

It's natural to feel nervous about leaving your 20s behind! It's okay, don't worry! For me, that was the biggest milestone for me, that number sounded terrible to me for some reason. So picture what your going to feel like when you're getting ready to turn 40! Now, I'm thinking, "What was I thinking being scared to turn 30, now I am about to turn 40." Life goes by so fast and I think that I realize that more the older that I get.

So the words I have for you is, age truly is nothing but a number. Life is what you make of it and it is also extremely short, so never take that for granted and live every day like it's your last. Something that I am working more and more on, the older that I get!

10. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

I concur with Moesky's answer.  A gradual understanding of oneself, how one was, how one is now, and how the changes keep coming as we age. 

Well, this might not be true for all.  There is some truth in the adage, "There's no fool like an old fool."   But this refers to those who do not grow in wisdom as they grow older.   Some stay that way: others - generally people who start off as introverts but gradually develop in confidence and abilities so they get the right balance between intro and extroversion - continue to improve throughout their lives.

I was watching a video only today in which a man in his late sixties made the remark:  "When we're older we not so intimidated by what others 'might' think about us.  We are more ourselves.  We don't try too hide those aspects of ourselves we earlier thought people might disapprove of.  We can voice our opinion and know that we're coming from a lifetime of experience.  This makes us feel very assured around others.    As a man in his mid-seventies, I know this to be true.

So growing older is great - provided you keep the right attitude all the way through those years.

11. Silver Poet profile image70
    Silver Poetposted 11 years ago

The acquisition of experience and wisdom is priceless. The things you've learned can be shared with those who are younger. If I were in the Grand Canyon I'd take the wiser, older trail guide over the younger, less experienced one. The young have a fresh view and vivacious energy, but the mature are like aged wine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)