How do you make moral decisions?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

How do you make moral decisions?

In those situation where there is no such thing as a simple gut-instinct obvious 'right' thing to do... how do you decide how to act?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7728986_f260.jpg

2. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Weigh the pros and cons of each decision. Ask yourself which can you live with, what are you willing to sacrifice, what can you tolerate. I know this is all cliche but the answer lies somewhere within knowing how well your conscience can find a way to remain intact with whatever decision you choose. In other words, do what you can stand.

Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How do you weigh up the pros and cons? how do you ascribe value?

2. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hard to answer without knowing the issue. Hard to place value on advantages and disadvantages of a decision that is very individual. Only you can decide if pros and cons cause sacrifice or benefits to you or someone else. Many layers.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hello Dan,
           I think if you have been instilled with a good moral fiber then you will act accordingly. For me, I am also convicted by God to do the right things. I am in no way implying that I am perfect, I am far from it, as are all human beings. We will slip up. The big question is will we feel badly for what has been done and correct it from happening again, or for some who seem to have no conscience repeat the same behavior over and over. I think we should learn from our mistakes and take them as a life lesson.

Hi there - thanks for dropping by smile I think that's not actually a bad approach. Do what you won't feel guilty about afterwards... of course this doesn't win in the old no-win situation of course... what then?

2. Charlu profile image77
      Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey JThomp and Dan  I think that you know, it's not just the gut it's literally just knowing the difference of right and wrong. Then there's the old "Do unto others"  Truth be told paying it forward once and/or forgiveness would be change us all smile))

4. alancaster149 profile image75
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Gut feeling. There has to be something within you that tells you 'this is right'. You've got two options, 1 You sit on your hands and let somebody else sink or swim with it and when they fail say, 'I thought so'. Or 2. You can follow your instinct. It can take you down, in flames, or it can buoy you up and you beam in the limelight of your (not someone else's) success!
    Your success can take the moral high ground, and you might slip closely between conflicting ideas. I'm not saying here that the end justifies the means, but you mustn't let yourself get bogged down by pure idealism - 'here be dragons' is no longer a road sign to beware of meeting. They're just civil servants with bad breath!

What if gut feeling takes you the wrong way? Righteous anger can make people make snap decisions...

5. phoenixelliot profile image59
    phoenixelliotposted 11 years ago

I put my motives to the test. Are my motives pure, are they aligned with the greatest good of all involved? I believe the right choice becomes pretty obvious if I am being honest with myself, and judging the situation dispassionately. This isn't always easy, and at times i find myself toeing the line a little bit.

This is a Kantian style choice and I have to say these ones always appealed to me more than Utilitarian ideals. Motive and intention are good things to go on. Even if the result is bad - it was right to do in some way if your intentions were pure.

2. phoenixelliot profile image59
      phoenixelliotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think so as well. I believe that if my intentions are pure, and I make the right choice and make it intelligently with tact and consideration my conscience is clear. I have created no negative Karma and have been compassionate to myself and others.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Although each circumstance is different, for the most part the answer lies in what the effect will be on others.

I like that answer wilderness. Very simple and very interesting at the same time... what sense would it make to worry about moral decision if there was no "other" to affect?

2. phoenixelliot profile image59

Compassion is a great virtue.

7. CrescentSkies profile image64
    CrescentSkiesposted 11 years ago

I just do whatever feels right. I really don't care if something's written down as wrong in a law book or some text, if it doesn't feel wrong to me I have no problems doing it if I can't get in trouble for it.

Do you think there is a natural moral "good and bad" then? That  this "gut feeling" is the same for everyone?

2. CrescentSkies profile image64
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there are some similarities but just as many differences. For instance, I think drug addicts should be used as experimental subjects for lab testing. They're already killing themselves, might as well use them for something.

3. Dan Barfield profile image73

Having been there in a minor way myself I have to say that's a bit of an objectionable remark... however good humored. Drug addicts are normal people who have lost thei way a bit. Don't judge others till you've walked a mile in their shoes my friend.

4. phoenixelliot profile image59

I have to admit for a moment I was, as a recovering addict, pretty offended by that remark, but I realize you may not be well informed on the subject of addiction. Please feel free to read the hubs I have written on recovery. Enlighten yourself.

5. CrescentSkies profile image64
      CrescentSkiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You may have recovered from your addiction but that doesn't absolve you of your crime. In my eyes since you knowingly fed money into criminal organizations you share responsibility for the murders they commit. I don't think it's unfair either.

6. Dan Barfield profile image73

Interesting... I actually have a lot to say on this subject and it's far too big to discuss in these word-limited comment boxes. I take your point  to some extent... but in the end I disagree. A hub shall be forthcoming...

8. lilmissmontana profile image79
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

I typically weigh out the pros and cons of each decision.

Recently, I had a very difficult decision to make. What would you do in this situation?

My VERY good friend has recently decided to start working out with me. She is quite a bit overweight, at five foot she weighs nearly 200 pounds. She pushed for one day and she was sore and out of breath, understandably. When we met the next day she gave up halfway through each set of reps. Within a couple days she wasn't doing half of the workout.

Let me remind you, I AM NOT A PERSONAL TRAINER! She brought it to my attention that she hadn't lost any weight. She also goes out to the bars and drink quite a bit of beer.

How, as a friend, do you tell someone they have to push harder to get results? How can I explain that her food and drink habits are only negatively impacting her weight loss goal?

Eventually, I decided not to say anything at all and let her do what she wants. It's her choice and if working out makes her feel good, then it's not my place to tell her how to do it. Is this an acceptable way to handle this situation in your eyes?

In the end it is everyone's own responsibility to take care of their body. In that situation I would maybe give them some literature or a documentary on the subject. It's easy to be patronising without realising it so I'd signpost them to an expert.

2. lilmissmontana profile image79
      lilmissmontanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really want to help her and see her be healthy, but, like you said, that isn't my job.  I don't want her to feel like I'm insulting her, because I think when she pushes herself she is great and working super hard. I wish I could explain it to her.

3. Dan Barfield profile image73

The only advice I could give would be to make encouraging comments when she's trying, but don't when she isn't. Consistent rewards for positive behavior and nothing for negative behavior. You never need to criticize her - she'll do that for herself.

4. lilmissmontana profile image79

Thank you for that big of advice. That makes a lot of sense. It's not my place and I understand that now. Damn being a overbearing friend!

5. Dan Barfield profile image73

There's nothing overbearing about your demeanor at all! Your concern for your friend is obvious - and you are only looking for ways to help her because you care. Your actions are commendable.

6. lilmissmontana profile image79

Thank you! She is practically my family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)