What is the number one thing that stops people from pursuing their dreams?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Seek-n-Find profile image71
    Seek-n-Findposted 11 years ago

What is the number one thing that stops people from pursuing their dreams?

So  many people have vision of what life could be.  They have a sense of purpose and passion but then...it never comes to fruition.  Why? What blocks people from living their life's dream?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7730151_f260.jpg

2. coleikerd profile image80
    coleikerdposted 11 years ago

I've heard time and time again from people who have achieved their dreams. They all say that their own mindset, their own false ideas, were their biggest enemy. They had to challenge their beliefs, and change the way they think about what is possible before being successful. This is true for the people who's dream was vast wealth, and for people who wanted love.

Break your own negative patterns of behavior and do the things that will bring you what you want.

3. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 11 years ago

I can't speak for others, but it seems to be one of many things. It's either not enough time, too many other responsibilities, opportunity, and the number one thing? Money. Either you don't have it to begin with, or your venture doesn't create enough of it to support "the dream". Great picture by the way.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just saw a marvelous video on aol that illustrates your idea beautifully.  A young boy with Down's Syndrome runs "Tim's Place," a restuarant his parents were able to help him set up, I assume.  Can't we all on hubpages support each other somehow?

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

Not getting all the facts and details required to succeed. When this happens, there will be lots of mistakes. Also fear stops a lot of people. They don't know who to trust. They also may not have the necessary drive to keep going forward no matter how many mistakes they make. And they may not be able to handle all the uncooperative people that they are bound to run into. The good news is, there are ways to overcome every barrier, whether internal or external.

5. profile image0
    Proud Footposted 11 years ago

A lot of the time people spread themselves too thin in terms of how they set about trying to achieve their dreams. It's all about patience and acceptance, taking one thing after another and when it doesn't go quite right working from that anyway.
    Unfortunately people are often told by their peers that they have no hopes of finding what they wish for but it's a combination of this and the wrong mindset.
    You've just got to believe it will happen and accept it might take longer than anticipated.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I'd guess it could be that the importance of some of the dreams people tend to have when they're kids, or at least just starting out in life, can start to diminish as people encounter things, other people, new dreams based on their new level of maturity move in and kind of make those old dreams seem less important (maybe even not all that important or appealing at all).

People grow, find those things in their life that are far more important to them than achieving their own "life's dream" , and either build new, updated (sometimes even more important, although different) dreams or else just abandon the idea of "a dream" altogether.  What started out as dreams can turn into a case of "Well, that might be nice if I can do it," or "..would have been nice if I could have done it, but isn't something that's all that important to me now anyway, because I have so many people and things in my life that I care about so much more than I ever did that dream I once thought was so important."

More youthful life dreams aside, I'd guess that a sense of responsibility might stop a lot of dream-pursuing.  I really tend to think, though, that people just change as they grow and their life changes.  Circumstances, illness, etc. stops some people.  I don't know if that would Number 1 or not.  Not being willing to make some sacrifices that would be required could be a big one.  That goes back to people's thinking that some dreams aren't worth the sacrifices of other more important things.  Sometimes I think that the less well rounded and whole someone's life is, the more likely it is he'll a) have little to sacrifice if he pursues a dream, and b) see his dream as more important than someone else would see a dream.

7. Relationshipc profile image87
    Relationshipcposted 11 years ago

Fear. They can't push past their fears and go for it. Fear of stepping out of their comfort zone, failing, looking like an idiot, and losing everything. Fear.

8. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

1. Lack of faith that they can achieve their dream.
    2. Lack of knowledge of how to pursue their dream.
    3. Lack of ambition or unwilling to sacrifice to realize their dream.

9. abbykorinnelee profile image51
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

I believe starting having kids and getting married to young puts them off and along the way they lose hope and determination at achieving them and never try

10. howtobeasuccess profile image66
    howtobeasuccessposted 11 years ago

It would be FEAR. It limits the things that you can do in order to achieve your dream. It stops you from doing something that you certainly can when you just put your focus and attention to it. Fear is the one that will made you idle in a certain state that you are comfortable enough, but definitely far away from the dream that you are aiming.

11. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Lack of time. Everything is busy, busy, busy. There is rarely time to get anything done anymore. If you are not doing one thing, you're doing another.

12. Raitu Disong profile image59
    Raitu Disongposted 11 years ago

I think thats because they are afraid, they might fail..

13. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 11 years ago

Some people realize that what they once dreamed of doing or living, isn't actually something they wanted smile

14. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 11 years ago

1. FEAR
    2. Limiting Beliefs
    3. Low self-esteem

15. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7733517_f260.jpg

Quite simply it comes down to attachments. Now attachments can manifest themselves in a myriad of forms and combinations. They could include: my favorite, the attachment to never making a mistake or taking risk if you will, family, security, status quo, temporary discomfort, comfort, financing, time, health, stability, and the most significant issue of all; uncertainty. I believe uncertainty (it could also be considered faith or confidence) is the real culprit...

16. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

Seek-n-Find, I CAN'T believe this.  First you have part of my favorite quote of all time as part of your name and secondly, I was JUST composing a question almost identical to this one to post.  Are we on some psychic connection here?  I DO have to read your hubs. (Time is my errant child right now.)  My question was going to be "What is holding you back from realizing your highest potential? (or something like that).  Fear and laziness is holding me back.  I had an opportunity for a teaching job 5 years ago at a school for the deaf (I was proud that not a word was spoken during my whole interview.  The principal and all the teachers were deaf.)  I CANNOT get myself back into the classroom even though doing so would get us out of deep financial trouble.  I had an experience before we left MN where I was subbing for deaf 8th graders who ADORED their young teacher who was on maternity leave. They wouldn't even look at me, and when deaf kids don't look at you, you can't do a thing.  I was so incrediably traumatized at how ineffective I was during that time, and in fact, all my time teaching, that I simply can't bring myself to go back.  (I know, I'm a psychological wreck.)  I thought my online learning games would be a great business and my writing, but I really need to get a real live physical job.  At 68, after over 30 years of work, I'm spent, kinda lazy and stubborn to do what I have to do to help out our family, probably resentful that I have to, and disappointed that I can't make it any other way than doing what I don't want to do.  My next question will on hubpages will be "How do you discipline yourself to do what you know will help you out of your stinkin' mess?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)