Why did God make the world in 7 days?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (48 posts)
  1. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 11 years ago

Why did God make the world in 7 days?

Why 7 days?  Why not in 1 or 3?  I'm interested in your responses, thank you.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7744285_f260.jpg

2. glynch1 profile image67
    glynch1posted 11 years ago

First, God did not make the universe in seven days; He made it in six and rested on the seventh. Second, no one knows why He chose six days, but by that choice He set the standard for how man should regulate his life (work six days; rest one day).

3. RichardSpeaks profile image77
    RichardSpeaksposted 11 years ago

He didn't. He made it in six. On the seventh, he rested. And on the eighth, he started to regret what he'd done. (Scripturally based, by the way.)

1. glynch1 profile image67
      glynch1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to know that Scripture that says He regretted making the universe on the eighth day.

2. RichardSpeaks profile image77
      RichardSpeaksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was during the time of Noah. He said that he regretted having ever made man and that it was time to destroy everything. At that time, the earth was the center of the cosmos. Destroy that, and all is gone. 8th day was tongue in cheek.

3. Ozmar Evans profile image59
      Ozmar Evansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He never regretted, he gave us an agency to choose. It will be decided for us on Judgement Day!

4. JMcFarland profile image68
    JMcFarlandposted 11 years ago

What makes you think that god created the world in any number of days - or at all for that matter?

1. RichardSpeaks profile image77

I don't. But that wasn't the question. I'm just relating the story as written. I don't happen to believe in a god. I accept a deliberate universe, but that doesn't default to a 'god.' Don't you think? :-)

2. JMcFarland profile image68
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was asking the OP

My apologies, JMcFarland.

4. JMcFarland profile image68

no apologies necessary, Richard :-)

5. renegadetory profile image60
      renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not looking debate whether or not God created the world with this thread, that can be for another thread in which I will be happy to debate.

6. JMcFarland profile image68

that's fine, but when you ask why god created the world in 7 days, you leave the door open or people like me who say that he didn't create it at all.  Just sayin'.

7. renegadetory profile image60

I realize that I am not be the best at wording questions.... this is only the 3rd or 4th I think I've asked on here...

8. glynch1 profile image67

Given the choice between believing that everything came into being by time and chance, and believing that an omnipotent Creator spoke it into existence, I choose to side with the Genesis account. So many other reasons exist to refute atheism.

9. JMcFarland profile image68

you understand that atheism has nothing to do with evolution, which also has nothing to do with the origins of life, right?

10. glynch1 profile image67

Please explain your position.

11. JMcFarland profile image68

What is there to explain?  Atheism is a lack of a belief in a god.  It has nothing to do with how life began or whether or not evolution is true.    Even if evolution was proven false, it would not affect my atheism.

12. profile image0
      Etta33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@renegadetory...I think you asked the question very well...just look at the debate you have sparked. smile

13. RichardSpeaks profile image77

How about this... Creation remains a mystery. Big Bang, God, poof--whatever the case may be, we may well never know for certain. It's not agnosticism; rather, it's acceptance. I do not know. Of that I am certain. Most scientists, too, if honest.

5. profile image0
    Etta33posted 11 years ago

He created this second earth age in 6 of His days. On the 7th, He rested. 6 stands for mankind in Biblical numerics and 7 for spiritual completeness. Those "days" are actually milleniums. One of God's days is as a thousand years to us and a thousand years to us is one of God's days. II Peter 3:8 documents this. This is why no one has ever lived through one of God's days. He told Adam and Eve that if they partook of the forbidden fruit then in the same day they would die but we know that Adam lived to be 930 years (Genesis 5:5) If this wasn't true, then God's word would be a lie and we know it isn't. So God created this second earth age in 6,000 years to us and 6 days to Him.

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beautifully reasoned, but it may be even far richer than either of us imagine. With humility we may yet find more answers that will soothe our souls.

2. renegadetory profile image60

It's true that a day can can be a thousand years in some instances, but when adam was created God had established the 24 hour day.

If one is going to use scripture, then recognize this: God made the sun and moon AFTER the first day. What gave light to the first day? And saying God himself does not count. In other words, it's a fairy tale turned into literal history by fundies.

4. lone77star profile image71

@renegadetory where do you get your interpretation? How do you know God had established the 24 hour day, and how do you know which uses of "day" refer to the 24-hour variety?

2 Corinthians 3:6

Don't pretend to know, before you learn

5. profile image0
      Etta33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that when God established the 24 hour day, He established OUR 24 hour day, not His. The millennium in the end is spoken of as the Lord's day. I believe that 2 Peter 3:8 is correct. Our 24 hrs. is His 1,000 years.

6. renegadetory profile image60

In the book of Genesis the Hebrew word yôm was used for the word 'day' combined with numbers 'first' day, 'second' day, etc., along with the words 'evening and morning' the first time the word was used to define yôm as one night/day cycle or 24 hrs.

7. lone77star profile image71

And yet we have the greater and lesser lights (sun and moon) to divide the day and night created on "Day 4."

This tells me that we are looking only at the "letter" and not "spirit" if we take Genesis 1 to mean six 24-hour days.

There's more here

8. renegadetory profile image60

The translation of the Hebrew word according to Strong's concordance is "a space of time defined by an associated term" (figuratively) or literal (as in sunset to sunset), that is the translation and that is the meaning given.

9. lone77star profile image71

And yet Strong's Concordance is not the Word of God, and neither is any mortal interpretation. Learn the difference between the letter and the spirit of His Wisdom. Let go of the crutches of this world, logic and ego

10. renegadetory profile image60

The OT was written in Hebrew, that is a fact.  I do not speak, write or read Hebrew. This is fact.  Therefore I use other books (besides just Strong's) of translation to understand the meaning of the Hebrew words in their context.

11. lone77star profile image71

May peace and the love of God be with you always.

6. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

There is a great deal in Genesis that cannot be taken literally. Some, if not most, is symbolic or metaphorical. For instance, God said that Adam would die on the day he ate of the forbidden fruit, but we have Adam being kicked out of the Garden and living to the ripe old age of 930. If the Garden was a purely spiritual place and both Adam and Eve died spiritually, all of the physical description would merely be metaphor for the fall from spiritual grace.

What if the "days" of Genesis 1 were zero time, outside of the space-time continuum -- and even before it existed? In creation, you start with a template or blueprint -- a thought in the mind of God -- the "Word."

What if God's "day of rest" was the final ingredient which gave, as @Etta33 says, its "completeness" or "perfection?" In that case, we would be living in God's day of rest -- all 13.7 billion years of it.

Seven is a number used to indicate perfection. The sevens in Genesis 4 have been discovered to link to sevens in Genesis 5 for perfecting the biblical timeline, so that now we have one that is compatible with the timelines of science.

And we now also have evidence that the Jewish Kabbalists were instrumental in writing Genesis, because their "Tree of Life" is embedded in two chapters of Genesis.

And with this new timeline, we now know the reason for Noah's Flood, as well as the identity of the culprit who made it necessary.

1. RichardSpeaks profile image77

Or, and I'm guessing here, Genesis might have nothing at all to do with the origins of the universe. Perhaps mystery really is mystery and explanation may be long in coming. I tend to lean in that direction. I don't like the god of the Bible.

2. glynch1 profile image67

Adam died spiritually when he ate the fruit; that spiritual death planted the seed of his physical death some 900-plus years later.
      What do you mean by "the Garden was a purely spiritual place"? I believe the text indicates that the Garden was a real

Glynch1: It seems you may be adding interpretation where none is due. If one takes the Bible literally, Adam did not die spiritually. The passages refer to physical death. He did not die after eating. The serpent told the truth.

4. lone77star profile image71

Glynch1, are you implying that physical death was tied to Genesis 3?

And are you implying that Heaven (a purely spiritual place) is not real? Please!

"the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life"

Don't be distracted by the literal (the letter)

5. glynch1 profile image67

lone star 77,
      The wages of sin is death: spiritual death immediately, and eventually, Adam died physically. That has been the orthodox position since the beginning.
      The Garden of Eden was not heaven. Where did I say that heaven is not real?

6. Ozmar Evans profile image59

The GOD of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, must be feared. Fear is the beginning of Faith. And faith grants wishes..even wishes to know the real TRUTH!

7. Valorie Esquilona profile image60
    Valorie Esquilonaposted 11 years ago

As far as I know, that 7 days--well, that's not even 7 days because Genesis stated that God rested on the 7th day so it's actually 6 days--is not to be taken literally.  Maybe a day during those times was not equivalent to 24 hours just like what we have now.  Maybe that 7 days were really a billion years.  The Bible has lots of secrets and it's really hard to decipher it.

8. Ozmar Evans profile image59
    Ozmar Evansposted 11 years ago

If GOD really did create the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th, why do we have dinosaurs and other gigantic fossils here on earth?

I believe GOD created the world in 6 million years, and rested, awaiting for the time Christ will return...soon.
    You will see that the world is older that men, even older than the oldest fossils ever found.

1. glynch1 profile image67

If you wish to understand more about how dinosaurs fit into the picture, I suggest that you check out the literature at the Creation Research Institute.

2. Ozmar Evans profile image59

Thanks Glynch1, I was only sending my question of creation against the original question.

9. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Because ancient people needed some authoritative-sounding reason for a 7-day week beyond a simple "The moon goes through half a phase in that time."

10. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 11 years ago

Well that is a pretty simple question to answer,
    God made the world in six days and took a day off, to show us how many days a week we are supposed to work, the perfect balance of work and play, then us being foolish humans, invented the 5 day work week and look where that has landed us smile

11. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

We were taught and conditioned that God made the world in six days and rested on the seventh day.  There has also been a lot of conversation in my life time that our definition of time is different than God's definition.  One day to God could be a million years to us, as an example.  We only know what we are taught or conditioned to believe until we choose what type of belief system we will embrace to help us overcome concerns and fears of unknown subjects.

12. pristinetrekking profile image60
    pristinetrekkingposted 11 years ago

He got only 7 days Leave from Company.................ha ha aaaaaaaaaaaa

13. profile image51
    TJ Burgonioposted 11 years ago

I think 7 is a perfect number in the ancient times. And God is perfect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)