Why is it that people insist on taking over someone else's question, or hub, for

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (55 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Why is it that people insist on taking over someone else's question, or hub, for their own soapbox?

Lately I've noticed several questions, and even the occasional hub, where several people answer the question, and one person (not the author either) take over and tell people they are wrong and why, and continue to do this on each answer, and if people defend themselves or the person who answered, they continue to 'preach' (if you will).

To me it seems like it's a "I'm RIGHT and you're wrong, and if you don't listen, I'll tell Daddy." hissy-fit.  Any other thoughts?

2. Gina145 profile image70
    Gina145posted 11 years ago

I can't provide an answer to your question, but I've noticed this and was actually tempted to delete one of my questions because this happened. In the end I left it alone and now I just read any discussion that comes up but don't respond any more.
    If I can earn Adsense money out of other people's arguments, I'll take it, but I don't feel like it's my question any more.

3. Laura Schneider profile image85
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

Maybe it's selfishness, ignorance, or lack of people skills. (I only hope I haven't done this.) Sometimes I imagine it would happen naturally, though, the way a conversation just changes directions and suddenly you're on a different topic altogether.

If I'm guilty, I definitely meant no offense, fellow Hubbers! (I know I've got a big mouth at inappropriate times sometimes. Working on it...)

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

Well it has to do with having a bit too much ego - but what you are really seeing in such cases is someone afraid of being wrong, someone who feels threatened by another's view.

1. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would they bother commenting, in those cases, thereby taking the chance of being "wrong" or "threatened"?

2. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Laura - perhaps don't assume self-awareness. They do not know they are afraid. They only know they have to be right. It's a defensive mechanism, a verbal form of bullying.

Ah! I'm sure you're right. That makes a lot of sense.

4. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True true. Thanks for your answer Wesman

5. LongTimeMother profile image94
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I guess some people just can't help themselves. smile
    I lose interest and move away when that happens.

AS do I on occasion...or when my BP advises me it's time to wander away! Thanks for your answer

6. LaWandaDenise profile image72
    LaWandaDeniseposted 11 years ago

I think it is great when someone else adds a new and interesting perspective on the way different situations are comprehended and perceived. Isn't that what literature all about?  The sharing of information and ideas in an effort to create a deeper understanding of the world, people, and situations around us.  It's all about producing a higher quality of life, humaniity, and environment.

I agree--it seems like there are the positive diversions and the negative diversions on a subject. I like the positive diversions and new perspectives, too.

2. LongTimeMother profile image94
      LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also agree. However if that fresh perspective is not picked up by others, it would be rude to keep pushing it. I tend to think it is better to start a new hub or question.
      I enjoy fresh input from others into my hubs.

3. jlpark profile image79

I also agree.  I disagree with someone coming in and taking it over though, being aggressive towards other commentors who disagree with them..  That was what sparked the question

4. LongTimeMother profile image94

Yes, jlpark. It was a good question. I wonder how many people will see it and make a conscious decision to change their ways. :They may never have noticed how they 'take over' before.
      I think you've done HP a service by raising the issue. smile

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I have noticed this, and it seems that it is their ego that drives them. They just have to be heard and make sure everyone knows there is only one right answer, "Their's."

I agree, but it seems to me that that should be a dominant trait in our species, shouldn't it? Shouldn't people think for themselves and believe in what they say, considering other (even contrary) evidence along the way?

The "ego" arises when we operate from the survival function of the primitive reptilian brain. It cuts off rational and creative functions. Only a world with less fear, created  people willing to be loving and courageous, will change this.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sid... Do you think that is possible?

Thanks JThomp for your answer

8. vrdm profile image79
    vrdmposted 11 years ago

Isn't this human nature?  Even when we were sitting in the mouths of caves around open fires, weren't there always individuals inclined, presumably for socio-evolutionary reasons, to dominate the conversation?

1. LongTimeMother profile image94

You're right, vrdm. But this forum is predominantly for writers. Shouldn't writers be able to choose their words carefully enough to make their point clearly the first time ... with no need to repeat themselves in someone else's hub or question?

2. bn9900 profile image70
      bn9900posted 11 years agoin reply to this

LTM-That is a good thought, but when you clearly state your position and someone else attacks your character, what do you expect?

3. LongTimeMother profile image94

Hi bn9900. I was responding to vrdm's concept of people trying to dominate a conversation by continuously repeating themselves. If they've made their point and have nothing new to add, I think they should sit back and give readers room to think. smile

Interesting way to look at things - thanks for this.  I see a lot of truth in what you say

9. johnwindbell profile image67
    johnwindbellposted 11 years ago

I love the ones that write a hub about the same subject you did. There will always be dip-shits, get on with your work and just change how you respond to them.

I never thought to look to see if someone else had written on the same topic I wanted to write about before. Is there a rule against that on HP, or something wrong with it? "They" say there's nothing new under the sun. Therefore, it seems inevitable.

I read hubs on the same topic as my own. If they are good, I link to them, & ask for a link back. I almost always get it. Example: I wrote on how to get certified as a Project Management Professional. An engineer from India did the same & we

Not quite what I meant - more that they get into a question, comment on EVERYONE and then can't let it be, MUST be right.  But I agree - just get on with things

10. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I see that many answers have *categorized* people who do this as selfishness, egotism, and even them being dipshits (now that's a word that I haven't heard in a long while!). But no one has been able to answer the question "why?"

There's good reason for that. The people who are doing it probably don't know that they are doing it, and almost certainly don't know why. (Egotistical people are rarely self-aware in that way.) The reason is inside them, and if they don't know, nobody knows.

Have you thought of sending a private email to one saying, "I noticed you took over this hub for your own soapbox. Why did you do it?" If you do ask one, please post the answer - I'd be interested.

I see two elements of this event that might be relevant. First of all, sometimes the Q&A or even the hub comments move off on a tangent that includes two or more people, and brings up really interesting stuff. The structure of Q&A and of hub comments allows this - and that's really cool. Unfortunately, allowing expanded discussions also allows takeovers. So we have to live with the bad to get the good.

Second, some people are running scared and feel a need to be noticed. They may feel a pressure to try anything to get attention (either for emotional reasons, or out of a hope that they will get more page views and more money). In these tight times, such fear reactions are inevitable.

I, for one, haven't seen much of what you are talking about. Feel free to reply with the name of a hub that got hit with a takeover. If it happened on my hub, I would probably not allow the writer's replies to appear as comments.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sid, I agree with you re: the deeper causes of this, if it exists.  As an egotistical person, I don't see it. (Ha!)  But to clarify - as a narcissistic, egotistical, selfish person, I'm VERY self-aware.  (So I disagree with your statement abt us:)

Billie - you are a rara avis - the exception that proves the rule!

3. Windtraveller profile image47
      Windtravellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually it's probably not so much self-awareness that is lacking in such people, but rather the awareness of the other people in the space. Being VERY self-aware leaves little room for others it seems.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sid and Wind, I do like rara avis - it's kind smile  This is what I love about being this age.  I'm too old to change and old enough not to care. My daughter says that sometimes our Achilles Heel  can be our super strength. I'm going with that!

11. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

The person who attempts to take over a hub or a question is similar to the guy I ran into in the grocery store today. They have no conception of personal space. You can feel them almost walking on your heels and you can literally feel their hot breath, as they reach over or around you. In other words, these people are just rude and self centered.

I find political and opinion hubs and questions attract those you have mentioned. After listening, reading or watching the constant drumbeat of pundits, without exploring other points of view, some find they have almost been drawn into a cult of thinking and believing only one way. So, their goal is to convert the nonbelievers. Sometimes I answer them...sometimes I don't...and then there are those rare occasions I simply delete them.

Deleting them sounds best in such cases, I agree. Converting people's thoughts who are set in their ways rarely happens. People were never taught to think for themselves, political extremists are like sheep following their assigned herd, unthinking.

2. pagesvoice profile image73
      pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Laura, I say it all the time...the sheep go baa, baa, baa all they way to the slaughterhouse of narrow minded and rigid thinking.

pagesvoice--I laughed a long time at your comment; I couldn't agree more!

12. LilaDaley profile image73
    LilaDaleyposted 11 years ago

My dad is that way as is my mom.  They have an opinion and no one else can have a differing one.  They cannot believe that anyone else can believe a different way and must fight til you believe the same way you do.  It drives me nuts.  If I have a different view from you I tell you mine and leave it at that.  It is not a big deal if people believe differently than me.  We all have grown up and experienced different things to shape our opinions.  That is what makes a society.

Thank you for your answer.  Interesting that you can have what one would probably term a 'more grown-up' way of viewing the world, than your parents.

13. krillco profile image86
    krillcoposted 11 years ago

Maybe a mix between basic rudeness and the lost art of conversation. Many people seem to make a hobby about taking entrenched positions and feel the need to attack anyone who does not agree with them. There are, I think, people who are addicted to reactivity; they just cannot stop.

14. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

When people ask silly or inappropriate questions and only want to hear responses that agree with their point of view, they must expect to be challenged by other readers with different points of view.  This has nothing to do with ego, fear, or any other negative connotations.  I was told point blank by one hubber who asks many silly questions that they only want to hear from those who are fellow "believers" - if that isn't egotistical i don't know what is. Or perhaps the questioner is fearful that his/her point of view might be in question as being the only true opinion.  So when someone dares to offer a different perspective they are attacked as egotistical, or 'afraid of hearing the truth', or perhaps they (the one asking the question) are afraid that they just might be wrong themselves.
    so, if anyone asks a question, expect to be challenged when those questions are narrow minded, biased, hate filled, or pointless.

Very true - take the risk to ask the question, deal with the answers

15. Brett Winn profile image82
    Brett Winnposted 11 years ago

It couldn't be a lack of common human decency, or manners, could it?

16. bn9900 profile image70
    bn9900posted 11 years ago

I don't think they mean to, There was A Hub recently where I voiced my opinion and this other hubber laid into me and it was a back and forth, we both had strong opinions.  I felt bad, but I couldn't let go, this hubber was literally attacking my character. We both quit after a few days and really it was only like 5 posts each but it was a back and forth.  It really depends on the subject really.

True true, and I seem to rfrequent the same ones they do! Thanks for your answer

17. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

I don't think people do things like that intentionally.  It just all comes from our needs deep within to express ourselves, to have some meaning in this world.  (And there I go confirming your premise with what sounds like preaching (ugh) - sorry

Not what I meant re: preaching - you're all good!.  I know what you mean though - they can't seem to help themselves.  Thanks for your answer Billie

18. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 11 years ago

It seems to me that is why the author posted the question, to get feedback.
    If the author knew the answer, the it is pointless to ask it.

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm enjoying the answers - they give good insight into these people.
      If you meant I knew the answer - nope, it's why I asked.
      If you meant why any asks - that's true, but it's rude to take over a question still

2. ib radmasters profile image60
      ib radmastersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was talking in general, and not you specifically.
      It seems like it should be up to the author to call time out.

Makes sense now! Sorry.

19. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

I think there are people whose egos are so big that firstly they get a kick out of shouting to the world about how dum we all are! Secondly, I agree with you, they think they know it all, when in fact, most people like this haven't enough insight or real intelligence to see they are usually wrong. They also come across as needing to be the center of attention, so hogging a hub or answer, is there way of ensuring that people take notice of them! I don't think it matters that they p------- other folks off. The important thing for them is to get across just how wrong the rest of us dummies are and how right they are in what they say. It's sad really, because in reality they're actually just silly wee people with no manners and usually not much real intelligence.

20. Mike Marks profile image58
    Mike Marksposted 11 years ago

a person's reality can be like a house of cards... if a piece of information doesn't fit into its logic circle, so that every point on the circle says "therefore this next point be true" until the final point says "therefore the first assumption that started this circle be true"... then the house of cards may crumble and the person may fear having no anchor to reality... the more copies of his belief system he makes in other people's heads, with convincing argument  info presentation, the more grounded he may feel at least, the more immortal he may feel at most...

Thinking about the people I'm thinking of - this answer makes the most sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)