What denomination are you? Tell me one interesting fact that very few may know.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

What denomination are you?  Tell me one interesting fact that very few may know.

I know with Christianity there are many denominations (i.e. episcopalian, a.m.e., baptist, church of God, etc., etc.) But please don't limit this to Christianity - this is just a search for knowledge about religion and faith in general.

2. Theophanes profile image91
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

I'm a non-denominational pantheist - that is someone who believes in an energy that connects all things in the universe but is not a personalized God like you see in Christianity. Pantheist can also mean someone who believes in multiple gods but I think that is an older use for the word.

ReneeDC1979posted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks Theophanes - hmmm pantheism - i think i've heard of it- will have to research more.  Thanks for stopping by and keep hubbing!

3. TNT Husky profile image63
    TNT Huskyposted 11 years ago

I don't actually adhere to religion very much. Rather, I strive to improve myself through observation of my past and present experiences. I find peace in this manner, and i find it allowing me to learn from many things, religion included

Thank you TNT Husky.  I can say one of my favorite college courses was the Philosophy of Religion where we learned about different religions and faiths based on the ideas and theories of many philosophers.  It was very interesting.  Keep hubbing!

4. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

I am a Gnostic - the same religious beliefs that Jesus had.
    Did you know that after J.C. was executed by the Roman Government, for rebelling against them, they then in turn banned Gnosticism as heretic, and then created the Roman Catholic church that was then dubbed "Christianity". 
    This was done because the people of the time were outraged that J.C. was murdered,  by the government, and they (the government) saw an opportunity to created the illusion of ''christianity''.
    They then created their own 'version' of a bible, then mandated it to be the only "holy book" recognized by the R.C. church - all this was done for the sole purpose of having total control over the people.
    And so the government was then redeemed by those very same people for killing their messiah.
    Odd, that even 2000+ years later the governments still maintain that control over the people and promote and cultivate the fears, and the misgivings, of the churches to do so.

Thanks for stopping by d.william - why do you say Christianity is an illusion?  Just curious.  And what made you choose Gnosticism, if it was a choice?

2. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gnosis:belief in spirituality as part of man's makeup-not associated with any specific religion. illusions R  false"truths" designed 2 deceive 4 the wrong purpose. religions R based on fairytale stories,mysticism+superstition. God is not a religion

3. Randy M. profile image73
      Randy M.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gnosticism is a big category with a lot of diversity.  What strain of it appeals to you?  Just curious.

4. d.william profile image74

RM: certainly no organized versions, simply as stated above. We don't need a middleman 2 commune with our spirits, or pave a way 2 any heaven. Good is in our nature by choice.As bad is rejected by that same choice. Love always trumps hate

5. Randy M. profile image73
      Randy M.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

William - I find the inner journey aspects of the Gnostic writings appealing.  That is liberating crack in the hard crust of traditional Christianity.  But it calls for sustained personal effort to realize the fruits of this path -centering prayer.

6. d.william profile image74

RM: sustained personal effort? not so much. i have been practicing for over 50 years & it is never an effort. Inner peace & love R easy 2 maintain. All inspiration comes from the universe not other humans laden with frailties & hidden age

5. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

I was raised Pentecostal, but after carefully, and critically, examining the claims of religions, I prefer reality over superstition.  And being black, that has not been easy.  It should come as no surprise that atheists are very uncommon in the black community.

http://aahumanism.net/

I am not sure I follow getitrite - how does your race affect your decision to follow or not follow a religion??

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a black atheist.  Most  black people are extremely religious.  Of course that had no bearing on my decision to become an atheist or not, but it's when I assert my beliefs that  the community levels all kinds of accusations & threats against

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image60

Oh I see - well how do you assert your beliefs?  I'm always curious -other than this type of forum- how religion -non religion, etc come up in conversations?

4. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the bible belt, I could rarely have a conversation with a black person where God wasn't thrown in.  Anyone who is slightly observant can see this.  It became so annoying that I started asserting my oppositions.

6. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Living, thinking, breathing, human being, probably no interesting facts that very few others know.

Thanks for playing Mick S - keep hubbing!

7. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I am a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  We believe that the Bible is the inerrant and inspired Word of God.  We also believe that the Pastor of our church has a Divine Call to be in that position so he is not am employee of the church and cannot be removed unless he chooses to go, or commits some kind of immoral (or criminal) act that would cause him to be de-frocked.

Thank you duffsmom.  So he is not an employee of the church, but he is getting paid correct?  Is he held to a higher standard than every other member of the church?

2. duffsmom profile image59
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he is paid.  He is expected to be there for his members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. My husband was a Lutheran pastor before his retirement and I can honestly say sometimes 24/7 isn't enough for some people. Higher standards, yes absolutely.

8. Randy M. profile image73
    Randy M.posted 11 years ago

Raised in the United Methodist Church and still believe in many things, not all things promulgated by this strain of Christianity.  My curiosity and healing journey led me to discover truths within Taoism and Buddhism, and towards a path of personal knowledge versus second hand knowledge of spiritual truths.  We all have to figure this out for ourselves, or not, the choice to do so is in each of our paths.  Some prefer delusion, others awakening.

9. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

I'm a Humanist Agnostic.  Basically put (by a friend of mine) - I don't know how we got here, but I don't really care either. Which is true for me.

However, what this does is give me the freedom to learn about other religions without the veil of my own 'faith' clouding what I learn and see.  What I mean by this is that those of 'faith' may not consciously realise it but there is a piece of them that when viewing something that is different to theirs may think "hmmm, thats not like my religion." - I just think "Hmmm, thats interesting"

I don't mean offense at all by this - I feel that people find what religion works for them and stick with it - because it works for them, and have no issue with that.
    And I accept that by having no faith - it may be a veil all in itself!

10. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I am a human being, and I will not put a label on myself that maakes me a part of any sub-group smaller than the human family. Division of the human family is one of the sources of violence, war, and ethnic hatred. No, thank you!

That said, I am a Buddhist minister and a Christian minister. These are expressions of my spiritual practice of following Wisdom and Love and sharing them. I focus, however, on praying, meditating, and living as wise ones have always done.

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful, Sid. Division and separateness is a function of ego, the source of all evil.

11. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 10 years ago

There are no name that represent Christians but Christianity. The denominations that you have named are call Religions, which are separated from the Christian faith.
    Read 2 Tim 4 v 3, 4..... and they shall turn away their ears from the truth ,and be turn unto fables.
    If you study history you will see that each religion have its own founder.None of which was establish by Christ nor the Apostles.
    They were call Christians and nothing else. ACTS 11 V 261.... Peter 4 v 16
    Not Baptist,Catholic,A.M.E nor any other made-up-title of self agenda.

1. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even the name "Christians" was a name given by other people, and not by God. During Jesus' lifetime, and in the period of Acts, Jesus and his followers called themselves "Jews."

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see 2 Timothy differently -I think as a whole we have-gotten away from teaching about God and His word-2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

3. Apostle Jack profile image61
      Apostle Jackposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@SidKemp The name Christian was and is taken from Christ as those that followed Him and live by God's teachings  through His spirit to our spirits.
      Eternal Life and to be spiritually born again is a gift to those that do so.

12. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I have studied many religions throughout my life. I currently consider myself a non-denominational Christian.

My maternal grandfather was a Southern Baptist minister. My father was a non-denominational minister.

I have studied Christianity, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism) and Christianity, again.

I have experienced many miracles in my life, one of them even like that of Moses parting the sea.

I see Truth in many religions, but rarely in the interpretations of man. Too often the ideas of mortal man muddy the Truth and mangle it until it is unrecognizable.

I sincerely believe that most Christians do not truly know what it means to "follow Christ." Some do, but most don't. I also sincerely believe that Gautama Siddhartha Buddha followed Christ in the purest sense of the word.

So many fundamentalists help to create divisions in our world by their limiting, lazy and arrogant interpretations of the Bible. That's sad. They think they are right and that's not a humble attitude. They have stopped looking for Truth, thinking that their shallow interpretation is all they need. They stand in judgment of others and I fear that they will not make it and will become surprised when they discover this.

Despite experiencing dozens of miracles, I still don't know if I'll make it. I hunger to, but I'm not yet worthy. I still have too much ego. I have been outside of my physical body, so I know with a rock solid certainty that I am a child of God and not a Homo sapiens body.

And I have discovered many a hidden wisdom in the Bible, yet I remain humble so that I may discover more.

I'm hoping to finish a book on my research. I'm preparing a crowd funding campaign at IndieGoGo.com to support this effort. I've already posted a video on YouTube about the campaign (which starts Friday).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Nv8Mgh0z8

"The Bible's Hidden Wisdom, God's Reason for Noah's Flood"

ReneeDC1979posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great response lonestar77.  I agree with what you said.  I think it is important to study other religions and denominations in order to have a conversation on a deeper level. As they say 'knowledge is power.' Thanks for stopping by and keep hubbing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)