How to deal with turning 30 anxiety that is overwhelming?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (18 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

How to deal with turning 30 anxiety that is overwhelming?

Rationally I know turning 30 is not old, yet I am suffering from severe anxiety and my birthday is 2 months away. I'm getting the type of anxiety that is making me seriously insecure, unable to look in the mirror, irrational, and a feeling of real sadness. How do I stop this irrational anxiety/fear/depression?

2. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

You need to really grasp that life gets better as it goes on. You're not there yet but women in their 40's and 50's are supposed to be in the best emotional stability of their lives. They are satisfied with their children now out of the house, their careers have been half or more of their life which they are now entirely comfortable in, and they usually know what they want and how to get it out of relationships. Don't worry smile The best is yet to come!

3. wayne barrett profile image72
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

There is an old saying, "youth is wasted on the young" you will understand and come to appreciate that as you age. Just remember, like fine wine, you get better with age. And you will become an even more fantastic writer than you are now.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I think you may have to address the fact that it might not be the turning 30 that is causing the anxiety.  Sometimes our mind's will focus on an event as a cause for anxiety rather than on a deeper issue, or perhaps what turning 30 means. Did a loved relative die at 30, or does 30 represent something bigger than the actual years for you?

30 did not bother me but 31 did.  Why I have no idea.  50 was huge for me and I have to admit that for some strange reason, I actually feel embarrassed when I admit that I am 61.  I think because as a young person I always had some sort of distain for older folks, they were old, or ugly or uncool (whatever my young mind might irrationally think).  And now I am that uncool old person and I feel insecure and very very uncool.

I hope you can find a way to make peace with 30...I think this anxiety will pass because you have so much to offer, it will soon settle down for you.

1. Lor's Stories profile image60
      Lor's Storiesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer. A lot of things happened to me in my thirties.
      My dad died, my grandmother died, my moms only brother died.
      But I think what made me sad was having to have a hysterectomy
      I really had to adjust my mind set about never having children.

5. capon profile image59
    caponposted 11 years ago

Think! In 10 years time you would love to be turning 30. Happy Birthday for June, such a lovely month. Celebrate!

Point 2. I managed to get my self into the British Nation Championships for 10 mile time trial, aged 44! at age 48 I rode my Personal Best for a 10 mile TT. These things didn't happen by accident! Why not set yourself a goal? Tony

6. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

I didn't give this birthday a thought?
    You are still able to have children.
    The job market is geared towards this group.
    Most people get married in their thirties,
    The thirties are a great time to find out who you are as an individual.
    And you still have plenty of time to do all the things you want,
    I just think you are having jitters and I think you need to spend more time with your friends. It's a great time to regroup with friends.
    I had most of my fun in my thirties.
    Done with college, and planning for the future.
    I'm 53 now and I wish I was thirty again.

7. webscripts profile image58
    webscriptsposted 11 years ago

What is the root cause? Are you happy with where you are at your age? I've noticed myself that it is fairly common for those in late 20's (approaching 30) to start becoming anxious. We typically associate 30 with not only being "old" but many also envisioned a different life than what they currently have. House, family etc... and not everyone marches to the same drummer. Is this a concern for you? If it freaks you out to look in the mirror physically (like if you are looking for wrinkles) just keep in mind that aging in natural. No one gets around it. Take care of your health and your skin naturally (even the most trusted creams are not proven to work as effectively as claimed). You can also fight off depression AND keep yourself looking and feeling young with DA DA DUM... exercise!

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Age is just a number. If you think young, you remain young.
    Best is to keep yourself busy, at whatever age you are. Take interest in life and be happy. Talk to someone close to get over your anxiety and depression.
    As we age, we are more mature and things which made us anxious in our early years, do not bother us that much. When you look back, you feel proud of your achievements and how you dealt with the trials and tribulations, at different stages of life. At least I believe so and let me tell you, I am on the wrong side of 50.

9. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 11 years ago

That depends on what turning 30 means to you.  Actually, endurance wise, people peak when they're 40.  Ever notice how most people running extreme marathons are over 40?  You haven't reached your peak yet.

The media often puts down people as they grow older, but that's because when you're older, you're wiser.  It's easy to exploit those who are young and dumb.  But when you reach 50, which is the age people generally acquire wisdom, you can still have talents - and a better idea on how to promote them.

10. LongTimeMother profile image94
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Hey peeples. I got this one covered! lol.

I had exactly the same experience when I was turning 30. Made no sense at all, but for some reason I started freaking out. With the benefit of hindsight, I can actually see what the problem was ... and I can tell you what the solution was for me.

I couldn't see it back then, but it wasn't actually turning 30 that made me anxious, it was leaving my 20s behind. My 20s were so much better than my younger years. I hated being a child and a teenager, but I'd loved being in my 20s. It was the decade when I discovered real happiness. I think subconsciously I was afraid I'd lose all that when I turned 30.

The solution?  About a month or so after my 30th birthday I can recall actually breathing a sigh of relief. Being 30 was no different to being 29.

I'm thinking you're headed in the same direction. Hang in there. This is one of those problems that time actually does heal !!!
    smile

11. profile image49
    jellohelloposted 11 years ago

Usually anxiety over aging is more acute in women who are alone, but glancing at your profile you mention a family.  At least you're not 30 and still looking for a man! The cliches about desperate women approaching 30 without a husband are all too true, so take comfort in that.

12. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I wish I was 30 again but then again I wasn't as well off. 30 is the new 20. 40 is the new 30 if you exercise right. Maybe you have goals that not accomplished yet. Keep striving and it will get there. Do not, Do not in any circumstance get married or knocked up thinking you are going to be too old to have kids. Rushing into that is a big mistake. good luck with everything. 45 is the dreadful years for a health and body changes. I can attest.

13. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 11 years ago

Love yourself. If you love yourself enough, the problem disappears. Numbers belong to the society. Nobody really has an age. All birthdays are an illusion because you only really have one, the day you came in the world. The world has chosen to impose time or the illusion of time. You need not go along with that concept. Just have fun and enjoy your life while you are here. Don't worry about time and be detached from all negative concepts concerning it.

14. carol7777 profile image76
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

I remember turning 30 and I was devastated...Today I wish I was turning 30. You have a long way to go before you are counting wrinkles...Just be glad you are alive.

15. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7864502_f260.jpg

I simply continue to play my childish games like ice hockey and I actually  "change" my age and keep my mental age stable by mental exercises. I just turned 26 for the 2nd time and next year I will be in my prime (i.e. 53 is a prime number). Oh one more thing; a sense of humour either good or in my case, bad may indeed help...

16. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

Different people look at aging differently and their feelings on the matter also change over time.  When I was turning 30, I felt much like you do now.  Now that I'm in my 40's, I feel so happy and confident.  I weigh less than I did at age 30 so I have better energy levels.  People still think I'm 30 because I really took care of my skin and became very food/health conscious. 

What helped me during that time was journaling.  I had private journals and I was able to put all my fears and upset on paper.  I always felt relieved after doing that but it was a process.  It took many months of me journaling before I was really over it.  After I turned 30, I decided to do something special each year for my birthday - something I'd never done before.  So, I still do that... things like zip lining, traveling to a new place, scuba, trying a new food, etc.  This has turned was used to be an anxiety-ridden experience into something fun to look forward to.

17. Jenna Stitt profile image60
    Jenna Stittposted 7 years ago

I am 29, and I will be turning 30 in September of this year. I have a great deal of anxiety about turning 30, but I know I shouldn't. I don't have any one other than my family to celebrate it anyway. Maybe it's more about the anxiety I have about the month because both my father and eldest brother died within two or three weeks of my birthday.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)