Which do you rely on most for christian study, the Bible or other christian lite

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image52
    graceinusposted 11 years ago

Which do you rely on most for christian study, the Bible or other christian literature?

I rely solely on the bible for my study. In my opinion much of the christian literature tend to be unreliable and to lean towards  set doctrines that can be wrong. So which do you rely on most?

2. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i used to depend on the priest who preached in sunday mass but not anymore since i got married. Now, I depend on my daily prayers which i remembered when my teacher who was a nun, taught us about christianity.

1. profile image52
      graceinusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

peachpurple- It's my hope you will lean towards reading the bible to get a much greater understanding  and closer better relationship with God and our lord Jesus Christ. Thatnks for your answer

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

From those comic book tracts by Jack Chick which I find at the local bus station. They're so informative, accurate, and filled with love.

1. profile image52

Thanks for your answer

4. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I rely on prayer. I rely on the God Who is three in one. Whether I use the Bible, or read other sources, or simply listen, I rely on the Holy Spirit who Christ sent down on Pentecost after his Resurrection, (Acts 2) the still, small voice (1 Kings 19:11-13) within myself and each of us, as my source of interpretation and understanding.

And when I am deeply troubled, I pray and speak to Christ Jesus, listen to his words, and do as he says. That way, my house is built on a foundation of rock. (Matthew 7:24)

Daily,  I pray to Our Father (Jesus' father, yours and mine), as he taught us to. (Luke 11:1-3)

All reading, even of the Bible, involves interpretation. Therefore, best to let the One who Knows guide us in that interpretation.

1. profile image52

Sid- Many thanks for your answer.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sid, just checking in with a strange question. Outside of the Bible, Who declared it as such?

5. agapsikap profile image60
    agapsikapposted 11 years ago

On the Faith and strong Belief which I have to our Lord Almighty.

1. profile image52

agapsikap- Thank you for your answer.

6. SamuelGMiller profile image61
    SamuelGMillerposted 11 years ago

The Bible by far! Nothing can build you and mold you like the living and breathing Word of God.   I also like to read Francis Chan, David Platt, and James Macdonald, John Piper, and John Macarthur.   I have learned much from these pastors/authors. God has given them a great gift of teaching.

1. profile image52

SamuelGMiller- I'm very glad you read the bible as much as you do. The people you mentioned are not known to me so I am not aware of the work. Thanks for your answer.

2. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like all of those authors. Francis Chan has a gift for being compassionately blunt. No sugar coating, no embellishing, just a matter-of-fact take-it-or-leave it this is what the Bible says, but I love you and God loves you even if you disagree.

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I rely on the Bible and the Holy Spirit for most of my study.

But I do a great deal of comparative religion, too. Truth is truth. By looking at the viewpoints of other world views I sometimes spot things in the Bible I never saw before. It helps to keep cobwebs from forming in my own ego.

For instance, I likely would never have discovered reincarnation in the Bible if I had not studied other works (both East and West). I might never have discovered the Kabbalah's "Tree of Life" in Genesis. And I might never have understood enough of the Bible to discover a biblical timeline compatible with those of science.

I might never have seen the miracles I've experienced if it had not been for my studies in Scientology. Sacrilege? Only those who are still caught in the clutches of evil (ego) would dare judge. How I get closer to God is my own business -- between me and the Heavenly Father.

But I'm writing a book on my adventures. I hope it inspires everyone to the fullness of spirit. I invite you all to the campaign to accelerate its development:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-b … /x/2790782

I've read many doctrines. Some of them I've learned from.

But I've learned that the only rift between science and religion is in the minds and egos of individuals. Both science and religion aim at discovering answers to the things created by God. In fact, there is a great deal of agreement between them. Only dogma gets in the way. And God's truth is more important than bruised egos.

1. profile image52

lone77star- whatever few christian literature I might read is always cheched with scripture. I don't assume any christian literature is correct. And I avoid literature that forces doctrine on others. I stick with subject covered in the bible. Thanks.

8. Ronald Bachner profile image68
    Ronald Bachnerposted 11 years ago

I rely on the Bible but supplement with other materials such as a concordance and other materials.  If you are unsure or unclear then prayer is necessary. You must prove all things.

1. profile image52

Ronald Bachner- I like your answer. Thank you.

9. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

The bible exclusively, several translations,  esp the interlinear and some other direct word for word  translation materials, and the Holy Spirit who will lead us into all truth.   Cant trust any man, for example the most popular commentary. Matthew Henry is a primary source of most of  the lies taught by the churches of men.  And ALL the bible translations are tilted toward the translators beliefs.  You even have to be careful with Strongs and pay no attention to the kjv usage of words.

1. profile image52

celafoe- I know exactly what you mean. And agree. Many thanks for your answer

2. profile image0
      ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ever tried Biblos.com? It's about the best someone who is not an expert on ancient languages can come to reading the texts in the original language. You can pick a verse and break it down into all possible definitions of every single word.

10. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

Mostly the Bible but I have found other literature to be worthy of reading though.

1. profile image52

lesliebyars- many thanks for your answer

11. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Bible. Why would you focus on Christian literature? Some of the Christian authors have good books. But the Bible should be your main focus.

1. profile image52

lburmaster- The bible is my main source of christian study. What (very)  little christian literature I might read is alway checked through srcipture. Many thanks for your answer.

12. PlanksandNails profile image79
    PlanksandNailsposted 11 years ago

I rely on the Bible for Christian study. Unfortunately, the modern versions of the Bible that are promoted in the modern "churches" and local book stores are not what I would consider the Word of God, but other "Christian" literature, if even that.

With that said, I do read lots of what is deemed to be Christian literature, but what is is of utmost importance to be able to filter what is being read by weighing and testing it in the right context of God's Word. Additionally, having a reliable version of the Bible is important to be able to deem what someone else has written as true or false.

It should be our goal to strive to understand God's Word via the Holy Spirit and also being accountable and open to other brothers and sisters in Christ for what we teach and write. I have learned a lot of good things from other men and women of God. As humans, we are not infallible, that is why we need the Holy Spirit's discernment in our lives.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. - 1 Corinthians 2:14

1. profile image52

PandN- Great answer. Understanding the context of God's word is of the utmost imprtance. That can only through the study of god's word and revelation through the Holy Spirit. Again many thanks.

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen

13. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

I love to read bible studies and I always use my bible on everything before I determine an answer. I think studies or books by other writers just open up the mind and bring all kind of interests I may not think of otherwise. I think God has lead men to write so why can't we read them? It doesn't take much to know who to read and who not. If we know the bible there is no danger that I can see. Many people tell of things too that has happened to them and how they overcome, etc or how they have been blessed.
    Oliver Green, long dead, wrote books I own on Rev and Daniel and I cannot imagine understanding those book as well as I do without those.
    Kenneth and Gloria Copeland are two more and they have many they recommend I have read. God has gifted these people for a reason and I think it is to help give Christians better understanding of the Word and I thank God for them. Our own bibles of course are to be used right along with them and these people use bible scripture to prove all they say.
    I do sometimes disagree on some points or reserve judgement you might say.

1. BlossomSB profile image79
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jackie, I do so agree. You have explained so well the need for study books to help us with the Bible. Wise writers who know so much more can teach us a lot about the meanings of words and the background, and, of course, we use our own brains as well.

2. PlanksandNails profile image79
      PlanksandNailsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The ministry of Kenneth and Gloria Copeland (Word-Faith Movement) is not the gospel of the NT. Their doctrine is a mongrel system, a blend of mysticism, dualism, and gnosticism that borrows generously from the teachings of the metaphysical cults.

3. profile image52

Jackie Lynnly- I know little or next to nothing regarding Kenneth Copeland or his teachings. And I know nothing of the other names you've mentioned. Am I to assume these people run Megachurches or someking of TV ministry? Thanks

14. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I think the foundation for Christian Study must begin and end with the Holy Bible. Jesus did not write, so what is best is our human endeavor to study what he taught.
    Bibles differ so we must read differing bibles. The context varies throughout books and the authors vary in style so we must study also about the times and history and geography and competing religions of the time. We must get attuned to the politics, health and wealth.
    In order to do that we must read outside the Bible. "Christian Literature" is scary and wonderful at the same time. If we look to it for uplifting spiritual boosts of energy, great! If we look to it to help explain Jesus -- tread carefully. Double check. But other works about the time so that we can learn about the setting or what I like to call the Res Gestae are important but not for learning scripture but rather understanding better what we already know.

My wife and I like to go to see big time pack the house super preachers. And my wife picks up stuff there. It is interesting and fun -- but so is a pro football game. And I like the bands and cheerleaders at both!!

In my bible study classes my students now use really cool bible apps and cross check everything I say in real time. I was explaining that our best interpretation of "comforter" was a long wooden crooked stick used to also whack sheep. Hands went up to challenge. Awesome. Outside Christian reading should be used only as a basis for further discussion with mature Christians.

So Graceinus, all the tools in our arsenal and all our breast plates and jawbones must me used and used with discernment.
    I also read Celafoe, SwordofManicor, Sojourner, you of course and many more here. These are good people on the same path from different places and we can learn from them.

Thank you for this great question and I am sure we will see many good hubs spring herefrom.

1. profile image52

Eric - as always thank you. My concern are for those who are new in their study of the bible. They are the one who fall too easy into the traps of some christian literture that later turn out to be cults. Again Thanks

2. profile image52

Lady Guinevere- You implied in your comment that I am a lier. I WILL NOT PUT UP WITH IT. There is NO arguement with this,. I WILL DELETE ANY and EVERY comment from you if it happens AGAIN.

15. Alexander Mark profile image79
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

The Bible. Most books or other teaching materials do not draw on the Bible for reasoning, and I find them all useless when compared to digging into the Bible for answers. I do use a concordance not only to find context (other verses to support each other) but also to understand the meaning of words that are no longer in use today, and I also use the Webster's dictionary because the old version was based on the Bible so that helps me to understand the Bible. It's all about the Bible and whatever aids we use should be focused on the Bible. Most teaching materials use the Bible as an add-on to help explain concepts that are considered "Christian" and only by returning to the Bible can we gain any true understanding.

1. profile image52

Alexander- Thank you. I'm glad to hear you don't take teaching from others on blind faith. However there are many who do. Those who are new in the study of God's word fall far to easy to false doctrine and churches. Many thanks for your answer.

2. Alexander Mark profile image79
      Alexander Markposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your answer is as gracious as your name, thank you! And I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)