Have you ever completely changed your opinion on something you felt strongly abo

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Have you ever completely changed your opinion on something you felt strongly about?

I have noticed that as I mature, I have completely changed some of my views on things I felt strongly about before. Have you changed any of your views?

2. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

After retirement I took to writing on the web. I thought that I am having capabilities to excel in this field also as I excelled during my job period. Now I am of the opinion that I will have to learn so many techniques. One who thinks that he/she is right may not be right always.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Yes, I find as I get older, my views on many things change.  Some of the things are very big issues and with time and age, I have completely changed my views and gone the other direction.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Hello peeples,
            Yes, I think with age comes more wisdom and tolerance. I have been so guilty of things in the past as far as judging others. Twenty years ago I was an angry, hard headed, thought I knew it all, very bad tempered kid. As I have grown older God has made me see the error of my ways.

Am I perfect? Of course not. I am but clay in the hands of the great potter. I will be a finished product once I leave this world.

5. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

With age comes wisdom, but I think it also comes from turning off the television and getting out into the world as it truly is - not as it is portrayed.  When you shake off the sleep of being chronically "tuned in" to the noise, you can really live and let actual experiences shape your perceptions. 

We limited TV to a couple of hours a week and we only read enough news to stay informed.  In my previous life I was a news junkie and always watching TV etc. I couldn't believe the difference when I disconnected from all that noise and started to actually explore my own inner world and the world around me for that matter.  Reading books and gaining knowledge is a great way to change your opinions and perceptions because it broadens our horizons.

6. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 11 years ago

Yes I certainlly have. I have changed my views on religion and spirituality, and I have switched political parties. In some ways I think the change in spiritual beliefs caused the change in political thinking. It can do that to you, you know.

7. sriramapriya profile image66
    sriramapriyaposted 11 years ago

Its impossible to me change my opinion on something i felt strongly about.

8. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

I have always investigated things thoroughly before making up my mind and cannot honestly think of anything that I have thought strongly about (made up my mind on) that I have had to change.---that is not yet.

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Hi peeples!  I will be sixty next february , I know , I can't even believe it !  Every single issue that we can imagine is loaded with grey matter , nothing is black or white , if you know what I mean . The old saying "there are two sides to very issue " , chances are there are always even  more.!  It is okay to change your mind as long as you aren't being decieving , to yourself .  Compromising  is a virtue ,seeing anothers point of view and allowing it to sway your own view is showing far more intelligence than blindly following a certain view  and to be truely wise we must see into all the differing  oppinions . .........I can tell by your posts  that you have the ability to question most anything ! And  That , is true  intelligence !

10. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

strongly about? No, not really.  I have become a little more tolerant or flexible.

11. Amy Pirozzolo profile image61
    Amy Pirozzoloposted 11 years ago

I haven't changed my opinion on anything I feel strongly about but I have changed my opinion on things I don't feel strongly about...

12. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

Absolutely! There are things that I felt very, very strongly about when I was younger, but to be quite honest...I didn't have a clue. If anything, it has taught me to never say, "never"

13. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Yes and No.  Being open-minded has allowed my opinions and beliefs to be challenged and I find sometimes, others opinions held more water than mine. Maybe I missed something or was misinformed. Sometimes those challenges confirm my opinions and make them even stronger.
         The wisdom I have found that so many speak of, is that many of my opinions weren't actually mine. Many times, my opinion was based on belonging to the majority. Belonging to the "normal" group rather than being labeled a radical. I chose opinions that would present the least amount of conflict for me.
         Also. many of the issues that I have formed opinions of, over the years, have become more acceptable. Meaning, my opinions haven't changed. They just became less important.

14. shaymarie profile image80
    shaymarieposted 11 years ago

When I was younger, I was very conservative, but also very sheltered. Over time as I learned more about the world and met more people, I grew to be more open to new ideas and completely flipped my opinion on a number of issues. At the same time, I understand the conservative mindset and can empathize with both sides readily (and probably more-so than a lot of my peers).

15. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

I have changed my mind on having kids.  I didn't plan on having children but, as luck would have it, they planned on having me.  I'm really so glad that I ended up with kids.  I learned things I never would have learned or understood if I had not had them.  They've taught me to be a better person and, for that, I'm so thankful.

16. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

My, OH, my, peeples......this question should garner some great (and varied) replies.....GOOD one!!
    Many of my views have changed. Some, drastically, others, perhaps only enough to make a positive difference in my life.
    Far too often, holding on, stubbornly and/or irrationally, to a particular view/belief of an issue, causes the most harm, to the person holding on.   An Open mind, is a beautiful thing.  Combine this, with the ability to be flexible (NOT gullible)  and you've given yourself permission to think and act INDEPENDENTLY, use your own brain, common sense and awareness of the world.
    We should never stop asking, "Why," and spreading our wings, to search for answers.  There simply is NOT ONE WAY, FOR ONE REASON, AT ANY GIVEN POINT, FOR ALL.  Narrow mindedness causes more conflict, heartache and destruction, than simply paying attention and LISTENING.  Our multitude of experiences, throughout a lifetime, should make this so very clear and vital to us, don't you think?
    As for one major or particular view I may have hung on to for far too long, before seeing the light?.......I would agree 100% with MizBejabbers....."Religion/Spirituality" and "Political Stands."......and further agree with her comment that the 2 may just go hand-in-hand.......It "evolves" within, needing very little effort. 
    I might add....that in BOTH of these situations, the majority and strongest of those views, are forced-fed from birth.....similar to silent brainwashing.
    One day, at least as it happened for me.....you literally WAKE-UP, and say, "Wait a minute.....I think I may have been lied to....misdirected.....been blinded by a whole lot of empty rhetoric and ridiculously staunch .....ah...."BULL."   Perhaps I should use my OWN gifts, to check this out.
    I believe that "Thinking out-of-the-box,"  means:  Step away from what may not be so RIGHT, after all....turn away from subtle ignorance and into a powerfully personal education.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)