If you could only see one thing in Paris, what would you want to see?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (54 posts)
  1. mbwalz profile image84
    mbwalzposted 11 years ago

If you could only see one thing in Paris, what would you want to see?

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image63
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

The beauty girls in the city as their charm is a great topic among the fashion conscious people across the globe.

mbwalzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm amazed at how nicely dressed both the men and women are there. American men could sure learn something!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

The treasures in the Louvre museum. and Notre Dame Cathedral second/

The Louvre is lovely, especially if you can get there off season and avoid the crowds. I love Notre Dame, but love the archeological dig under it more.

4. juneaukid profile image72
    juneaukidposted 11 years ago

I'd go to Shakespeare and Company Bookstore which is a replica the the original Shakespeare and Company managed by Sylvia Beech where the grand bunch of writers like Hemingway, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Ford Maddox Ford, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein and others hung out.

That's a fun place. When I lived there and was homesick, I'd hang out and read books there.

5. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

This is an incredibly hard question - Paris is so choc full.  So, I would go to Cafe De Flore and spend the day at a table where they serve great food and wine, people watching and enjoying the sights of San Germaine

You are so right. I don't even like to go for shorter than a week. My favorite thing to do is to just "hang out" like the Parisians. I lived not too far from the café in 87, but could not afford the café there!

6. john000 profile image92
    john000posted 11 years ago

There is no way I could go to Paris without visiting the Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial outside of Paris.

I believe that before one can appreciate the art, architecture, food, and civility of France, and in particular Paris, one needs to understand why Paris survives. How wonderful that such a culture can contribute to the world, but that culture must be viewed first from the standpoint of history. Then it is appropriately appreciated.

At Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial 1541 American military who died liberating France in World War 1 and WWII are buried. At the World War I St. Mihiel American Cemetery and Memorial in France, 4153 American military died defending, for the most part, Paris.

I won't go on because I know that by now there are those saying, "What a party pooper!" Let's hear about something splendidly French. Sorry, I am not sure anything French would still be around if it were not for massive amounts of American blood enriching the French soil. The numbers of American dead on French property is amazing.

I do not feel that most people appreciate the cost American families have paid trying to take back French real estate.

So before you are bedazzled by the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre, spend a moment contemplating how valuable those places really are. If you would like to understand the commitment the U.S. has made to civilization, check out http://www.debv.com/memoaa.htm. The beauty that is Paris will be even more meaningful.

1. AMFredenburg profile image72
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My father marched into Paris and through the Arc d' Triomphe. His company stayed at Versailles while they were there, then marched on to liberate sections of France and Belgium before finding himself in the Battle of the Bulge. I respect your choice.

2. john000 profile image92
      john000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I say, God bless your father. Luxembourg, Belgium, and France are beautiful countries. Soon there will be few Parisians left who understand why they are so beautiful.

3. mbwalz profile image84

I've never been to that during my many visits to Paris and environs. I'll put it on my list for next time thank you! Many also forget that France bankrupted itself to finance our Revolution. It's pretty well known we would not have won without them.

7. AMFredenburg profile image72
    AMFredenburgposted 11 years ago

I'd love to see the Louvre and all its artwork.

It's beautiful. I do prefer many of the smaller, less well known museums. But the Louvre is a definite must-see!

8. Sunshine625 profile image85
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Johnny Depp....I heard he lives there and owns a couple of homes.

Good answer. I looked for him last summer (much to my 12 yr old's embarrassment) but didn't see him.

9. ihopper profile image61
    ihopperposted 11 years ago

I would really love to go to Notre Dame! smile

It's really amazing! The Rose Windows are really magical!

10. Jlbowden profile image86
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

Definitely the Louvre museum, just for the treasures of varied art that it holds, for all to behold.

That is a huge museum with amazing art. I prefer the smaller ones, but it sure tops a lot of people's list!

11. Ray Laskowitz profile image60
    Ray Laskowitzposted 11 years ago

The places I usually go in The  Latin Quarter.

It's so lively and fun there. So much to see and do and places to just kick back and enjoy!

12. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7874383_f260.jpg

For moi; it would be the Louvre Museum. Such treasures, such history and such stories all showcased in such a beautiful setting. Keep in mind, the walk from the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower and/or Notre Dame Cathedral is spectacular and full of beauty...

It's a long walk, but lot's to see and enjoy from one end to the other!

2. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not too long, and you are correct amazing scenery...

13. Patsybell profile image81
    Patsybellposted 11 years ago

The Louvre. Because it would take a lot of time and i would be there for days.

It would certainly take a long time to absorb it all! But if you take different sections and stick to just that one for a day, it's better!

14. Tom Vogler profile image78
    Tom Voglerposted 11 years ago

I've been there twice, and both times, Sacre Couer touched me most deeply.  The first time, Pope John Paul II was in Paris that weekend and the whole city was very crowded.  It was a very hot week with poor air quality, but two friends and I found relief up there on Monmartre.  We got there around sunset on a Friday night.  The city was lighting up below us, there was a cool breeze blowing and such a sense of peace, like the chaos of the city below was no longer.

Fast forward four years, and I was there with a different group.  This time it was early morning, perhaps an hour after sunrise. The air was cool and pleasant.   None of the tourists had arrived yet and while we were waiting for others, I was blessed to hear a violin player playing classical music that really moved me almost to tears. 

And if those two experiences aren't reason enough, there are many spiritual, personal reasons why I would visit that place, if I could only visit one place there.

Sacre Couer is amazing. I love the mosaics - it's become my favorite church in Paris. I was fortunate to have that as my view from my little room where I lived for almost a year, many years ago.

15. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

Well ... I have never been to Paris.  Dont know much about it so I have to go with Eiffel Tower smile

It sure is amazing!

16. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

I always like and wish to visit Eiffel Tower. This is one of my favorite places in the world.

I haven't been to the top in many years, but standing under it always takes my breath away. We saw the 14 of July fireworks from the long lawn behind it last summer. Wow!!

17. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Of course the Louvre Museum, but since I have been to Paris twice, I would love to see Notre Dame Cathedral inside. Maybe next time;-)

Both are beautiful for sure. I was hoping to get to Sainte Chapelle last summer but we ended up exploring other parts of the city and so we didn't get there. Next time!

18. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

Only one thing? That  would be the Eiffel Tower.

That's a great choice - just standing under it is an awesome experience!

2. connorj profile image68

I did love to see the Eiffel Tower; however, the crowds are a significant negative issue to overcome and although it is indeed worth seeing, it is not that tall...

3. mbwalz profile image84

Connorj - That's why I prefer the Tour Montparnass. It's less glamorous, but the view is better and hardly any crowds. You look down on the Eiffel Tower!

4. connorj profile image68

Indeed, yes indeed MbWalz; that is why at a much earier date, I believe I said to you, I wish I had been given your insight before my trip to Paris...

19. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

The city from the top of the Eiffel Tower. It's the main sight I didn't view last time!

It's been years since I've been to the top, I prefer the view from Montparnass (I know...) where you look down on the Eiffel Tower. It's also not crowded and air conditioned. But there is nothing like standing under the Eiffel Tower - can't be beat!

20. profile image0
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7876229_f260.jpg

mbwalz,

The Eiffel Tower. Then I'd want to dine at every outdoor cafe I could find.
    Lisa

The cafés are my FAVORITE part of Paris!

21. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

I would go to a concert in Notre Dome.   We heard one there some years ago and it was magnificent.

That must have been really, really amazing - what an experience!

22. Zsuzsi profile image60
    Zsuzsiposted 11 years ago

A Parisian pastry shop but only after visiting the Eiffel tower of course smile

Oh, the pastries! Actually, ALL the food is wonderful. I have some yummy pictures on my blog from last summer!

23. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

Sacre Couer and the area around it.  Just so beautiful if I can trust memories that are 18 years old.  The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles is hard to forget, but that's outside Paris.  If I ever get to go back, I'll just find a sidewalk cafe, drink wine, and let Paris come to me.

Great answer. The beauty is all around and rushing around too much makes you miss the real essence of the city!

24. penlady profile image60
    penladyposted 11 years ago

I'd love to visit the Eiffel Tower. It seems so amazing.

25. healthyfitness profile image72
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

Its a cointoss between the Eiffel Tower and the louvre for me.

26. profile image0
    cbarbarposted 11 years ago

Ever since I started learning to speak French several years ago, I have been fascinated with the entire country. But if I could only see one thing it would be the Notre Dame!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)