Do you identify yourself as a follower or a leader?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Marisaupa profile image74
    Marisaupaposted 11 years ago

Do you identify yourself as a follower or a leader?

Really look deep into yourselves for this answer.  There are individuals who demonstrate leadership skills when in subordinate positions, but for whom applying the same level of leadership traits when they are in an absolute leadership role escapes them.  So too are there people who prefer to remain in secondary roles, only to emerge as the go to person when the chips are down.  Under this paradigm are you really a leader, or a follower?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7911389_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

I would say a leader in most instances. Having said that their are some times where I prefer to be the follower. For me I guess it depends on the situation.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

I would say that I fluctuate much as you've mentioned.  I can 'step up' but often don't.  As a sister-in-law of mine who happened also to be an astrolger told me a quarter of a century back, I tend to be a loner.   That is, although certainly not an introvert, I like to be my own boss and don't particularly like telling others what they should and should not do concerning my own projects and plans.

Nethertheless, I have taken leadership roles, such as when I founded a group to support a pet charity, or when I became president of my Toastmasters club and Area Governor of five Toastmaster clubs.   'Small time' leadership, of course, in the bigger scheme of things.

Yet I see myself doing big things as a speaker, trainer and storyteller, for I am a strong believer in the adage: 'To teach is to love.'   So if standing out front of audiences and doing my things is leadership, then I guess I am a leader.

1. Marisaupa profile image74
      Marisaupaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You articulated your particular example quite well.  I would venture to say that you are in fact a select leader.  Even though you find harmony in doing things on your own, when need be you do not hesitate to assume the role of a leader.

4. MasculistFeminist profile image54
    MasculistFeministposted 11 years ago

Under the paradigm you have described, I am a leader. That probably has a lot to do with my high internal locus of control. When the chips are down I generally just focus on the task and forget worrying about the outcome. I generally use my initiative when I have been in an absolute leadership position and when leading others on occasion in a subordinate role.

Having said all of that, often the best leaders are the ones that know when to follow. Depending on the context, someone else might have a better approach or style than me. Recognising that and encouraging that individual to lead instead, is as much a part of leadership as leading people personally. Scouting for talent and coaching that individual to bring out their leadership qualities, can benefit everyone (including me).

One of the greatest challenges that we face in society is the tendency to conform to group thought. Asch's study on group conformity, certainly validates the herd mentality as a real phenomenon. If only people would think for themselves, we could be living in a much better world. Thinking independently or disagreeing with someone does not automatically have to mean you disrespect that person, it just means you have a different point of view. Is sharing different perspectives not part of learning and making better choices?

5. ohic32 profile image70
    ohic32posted 11 years ago

I am a bit of both. I know I lead well, but quite frankly such a role can be much to carry for someone who most often enjoys her own company or just sitting back and observing others. My personality does contrast itself, because I also tend to be outspoken and get involved in various activities. One thing I know for sure is that I enjoy being a part of a great team, and for me that means a team that is not only active, but also one where people can freely question procedures and make valid inputs.

6. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

I believe we can be a leader when called upon and most of us are usually followers. The situation and circumstance will dictate each of our roles. True, some are better suited for the role of leadership, but when called upon, most folks will stand and be counted. I am usually a leader, yet have been accused of being a follower at various times in my life. We take on roles as we mature and seek jobs that require leadership quite often, if we are more prone to fit this description. Thanks for the question. whonu

7. stanwshura profile image70
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

I am a follower in the conventional sense.  Leadership requires confidence, persuasiveness, vision, perspective, the ability to make hard decisions without enough data, and the fast tongue and/or sense of responsibility to be allowed to stick around, even after failure.  It also requires guts and BROOOOOAD competence.  I don't have it in me to claim all of those qualities.

8. Emmanuel Marosi profile image41
    Emmanuel Marosiposted 11 years ago

I have greater and smarter thinking abilities. I effectively understand what other people want and can fullfuill their needs. I have seen that socializing with a group involves giving out instructions and taking instructions. I therefore identify myself as a LEADER

9. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

I am kinda both but will prefer a secondary role if it is made available.  If someone will lead better than me then I will step aside.

10. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I'm a lone wolf. :-)

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too prefer to hunt alone.

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me also.  But at work, I either was a leader overtly as a supervisor or covertly when I was a subordinate.I DO NOT follow, I tend to go on my own tangent.As a child,I was called hardheaded.No, following is NOT my style.I REFUST to give MY power AWAY.

11. teresapelka profile image80
    teresapelkaposted 11 years ago

I'd be a typical dissident, also as regards your question. I do not believe that people are either leaders or followers. Especially in my field, which is language, one needs to be more context-independent. smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your thinking.

2. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
      Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting

12. BlissfulWriter profile image72
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

I think I am a follower.

13. Hunbbel Meer profile image75
    Hunbbel Meerposted 11 years ago

I have problems following people. I think the main reason of it is that I prefer to perform a task in a way I find suitable and appropriate. Moreover, I am one of those persons who doesn't get satisfied easily.

So, if I may be completely honest, I would identify myself as a leader who implements his own methods and approaches to achieve a target.

14. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years ago

I can handle too many works altogether.Sometimes without knowing the quality of my own leadership I did the better jobs mentoring other.You could say it leadership but for me it is pleasure to tell the people how to do that particular work.It happens when we discuss about the regelious matters,than you find me the key player among them.

15. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 11 years ago

Neither follower nor leader. I'm a loner. When forced to work with others I tend to be a cautious follower. I do not have the charisma I have seen in some people. I have met individuals so loaded with charisma they have followers who will happily follow them over a cliff to their deaths. Hitler had such charisma.

16. profile image64
    in4mativeposted 11 years ago

I very rarely follow. If people like my example they might follow me.

17. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

I love this question. I think I lead, but prefer to lead myself and not others.

18. gags3480 profile image61
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

I prefer to be a leader. It's just start of my career as a CPA & whenever I get a chance to come up & present my skills & knowledge, I do it.

19. conradofontanilla profile image67
    conradofontanillaposted 11 years ago

Myself As A Leader Or As A follower
    There is a continuum of being a leader and a follower in the affairs of the state or a group or a corporation. The extremes maybe being a dictator in one end and blind follower in the other end.

20. conradofontanilla profile image67
    conradofontanillaposted 11 years ago

A leader gets ahead of the pack, or takes consensus, or pushes the pack from behind, or sponsors a visible leader to carry out his agenda. There is a blind follower and a compromiser who can lead. read more

21. Dennis AuBuchon profile image63
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 11 years ago

Being a leader or a follower is a decision each of us as individuals must decide.  I  have been a leader in the past and a follower.  It is important for us to remember and decide whether to be a leader or follower dependant upon specific situations.  We can be leaders by example in what we do personally and as part of the responsibilities for the positions we hold. 

Many times we can be example for others but not realize the impact we have on others around us or those that just see our work ethics and want to be like us.

22. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7914033_f260.jpg

I identify myself as a follower in this perspective; however, I have come to realize that true leaders may indeed be followers who have internalized skills and thus demonstrated expertise that eventually becomes invaluable and seems to jettison them into the limelight because they are invaluable to the success of the process.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)