What would have happened to man if Eve did not commit that sin in the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Daniel Akita profile image60
    Daniel Akitaposted 10 years ago

What would have happened to man if Eve did not commit that sin in the Bible?

One thing that I have been thinking about is Gen. 2:25 and Gen. 3:5, concerning Adam & Eve. These first people created were not ashamed of their nakedness until they committed that sin. In other words, it was after committing that before they were aware of their. So, assuming Eve, did not commit that sin, all of us would have been naked by now, walking along the streets with our nakedness like other animals? There would not have been inventions like the textile industry, & others more... The marriage institution would not have existed.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I think an even better question is "What if Adam had not done the same?"

Daniel Akitaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

3. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 10 years ago

Going by the Bible story, we'd still be living in the Garden of Eden. Unless everyone practiced birth control, it would be somewhat overcrowded.

@ Copper Man thanks, I am even thinking about that. Every man would have rushed into every woman.

2. Daniel Akita profile image60

@ Copper Man thanks..

4. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

Many religious Christians, Jews, and Muslims (people of the Biblical faiths, and we find this story at the beginning of the Bible), take this story as a metaphor. There are many interpretations as to what the first sin was.

A world without sin would be an earthly garden of Eden. All of us would walk and talk with God, as Adam and Eve did. All our needs would be met, and we would not have to work to live. Giving birth would not be painful. And whatever quality of error (the original meaning of the word sin) that has passed down since Adam and Eve would not be in us. The first murder (Cain and Abel) would never have occurred, nor any other breach of the peace.

As for awareness of nakedness, this is a mystery. What kind of self-awareness arose with the "eating of the apple." And, if God put the tree in the garden, then it was there for us to eat at the right time.

Perhaps we - humanity - became self-aware before we were ready. So now that we are, let us mature by loving our brothers and sisters, neighbors, friends, and enemies as ourselves, and restore the Garden God meant for us. Not that we build it. But through his Grace we return to our inheritance - The Garden of Eden, Peace on Earth - when we are ready to live it in peaceably.

5. carolp profile image79
    carolpposted 10 years ago

A man would have eternal life so do woman...live in a paradise.

Thanks, Carolp.

6. Suhail and my dog profile image80
    Suhail and my dogposted 10 years ago

Now I am going to respond in terms of both religion and science.

There would be only Adam and Eve living in the Heavens. Man as we know it (homo sapiens) would not have come into being and populated the earth. There would have been other Hominids though, for example, Neanderthals, who actually started disappearing with the appearance of Homo Sapiens.

Scientifically speaking, there were many Hominids species populating the earth at the time Home Sapiens began to appear. All of them disappeared. Also disappeared were Mega Fauna (Mammoths, Sabre-toothed Tigers, Dirk Cats, Scimitar Cats, Dire Wolf, etc.) as the Home Sapiens moved into their world. Many researchers now posit that Homo Sapiens decimated living beings everywhere they went.

God must be very disappointed with our performance. At least I am 100% sure of that.

Yes, God is disappointed, because the devil contributed his part in the existence of man.

2. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL... you mean the Devil stole some of God's glory?

3. Daniel Akita profile image60

@WalterPoon, yes.

7. relawshe profile image59
    relawsheposted 10 years ago

The institution of marriage would've existed even if A&E had never sinned, because the Lord had made Eve for Adam because "no suitable helper was found" for him, so God made Eve and brought her to Adam, and he said "Whoa, man!"  And thus "woman" was given her name.  Ha ha.  At least that's how I like to think Adam named her when he saw her. 
    But God clearly made one woman for one man, not an animal for a man, or another man for a man, but a woman for a man.  So the institution of marriage existed before A&E sinned. 
    Many other things would've been different if they hadn't sinned, and most of those things have already been said in other comments.  Childbirth would be more pleasurable and not painful, their hard work & farming would produce more than enough food to eat without the struggle and toil that exists now, because of the fall. 
    Perhaps they would've always been naked, and never felt shame, but perhaps not.  Perhaps textiles and clothing would be invented as a special luxury, something they could wear and enjoy wearing, not because they felt ashamed and HAD to wear it, but simply because it was beautiful and they wanted to enjoy wearing it.  Who knows?
    Genesis 3:16-19 is where the Lord tells A&E how much more difficult their lives will be from now on since they disobeyed God.  By reading the list we can assume that, if they hadn't sinned, then the opposite would still be true.  For example, “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life."  So since this was the way it was going to be since they sinned, we can infer that, if they hadn't sinned, it would be the opposite of this; that Adam would work the ground, but it wouldn't be toilsome and difficult, and that the ground would be fertile and produce a great harvest. 
    So we can take what we know from the Bible and infer how particular things would have been different.  Apart from those particular examples?  I guess it's just speculation.

@ Relawshe, thanks for your expertise answer. I like the way you answer this question.

2. WalterPoon profile image67

Relawshe, you said "God made Eve and brought her to Adam". I wonder whether God also did the same thing to each of the other animals. It would be interesting to hear God say, "Grasshopper, this is your woman!"

3. relawshe profile image59
      relawsheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@WalterPoon, Ha ha!  That would've been very funny to witness.  I don't think animals care as much about their mates as we humans do though.  smile

8. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Good question... in fact, Genesis was the stumbling block when I first toyed with the idea of becoming a Christian. I was more bogged down by the incredible 6-day Creation story but never did ask the question that you did. You set me thinking... it's an excellent hypothetical question.

So what if men is not clothed. If we look at tribal societies in the tropics, men or women, they are usually naked from the waist down. And we don't even bother to give them a second look. And how about nudist camps? But whether Adam and Eve committed that sin, I believe that men will still cloth themselves in cold climates, since they don't have fur... unless they want to freeze to death.

@ WalterPoon, thanks for this. I did not even think about the climates. I was thinking that God wants us to dominate this earth with our nakedness.

2. relawshe profile image59

@WalterPoon:  great answer!  But here's a question to really make your brain explode:  if A&E hadn't sinned & the earth was changed b/c of it, would there have been winters harsh enough to cause humans to freeze to death? Would weather be dif

3. WalterPoon profile image67

Relawshe, differences in climate is due to the Earth's tilt, said to be caused by collisions with large bodies during the formation of the planets in the solar system. Did God planned for the collisions? Looks like an oversight, LOL.

9. stanwshura profile image71
    stanwshuraposted 10 years ago

I think clothing would have been inevitable - analogous to the car.  Without clothes, we'd be completely exposed, to each other yes, but who cares - no, to the elements!  We'd be trapped inside our homes, far less efficient.

And I've always thought what a coincidence it is that a patriarchal society (and the religious institution!) made the chick the villian.

And this whole idea of all of mankind being punished by a "merciful God" for the actions of one being - I find incredible - no, literally - not credible.

1. relawshe profile image59

He's merciful b/c He could've struck A&E down for their disobedience and would've been in the right for doing so but He didn't.  That's mercy.  He's also just & righteous and completely pure and cannot stand when His beloved kids sin against

10. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 10 years ago

If Eve had not committed the sin in the Bible, then she would not have given it to Adam to eat which was the actual trigger for everything that occurred.

1. WalterPoon profile image67

I thought the Adam and Eve story is just a parable to explain the fall of Man. It is not meant to be understood literally, or am I mistaken?

2. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No you aren't mistaken. My answer was one stated based on the hypothetical idea of if it were real. Answering the question based on how it was written

11. kess profile image60
    kessposted 10 years ago

According to the story, Sin occured because of the eating of the fruit of the tree..

The Eating of the  fruit  itself is not sin.

You see there is a purpose to be accomplished by the eating of the fruit.
    This purpose, must be fulfilled by the knowledge of good and evil, of which sin is an inevitable product.

The purpose is what motivated the eating of the fruit, despite the inevitability of sin.
    So the ones doing the eating did exactly right by it.

If there was no eating of the fruit, there would be no earth as we know it.

Thanks Kess.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)