When you read for pleasure, what do you reach for?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (70 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

When you read for pleasure, what do you reach for?

In trying to discover my niche outside of SEO and HP writing, I am reaching out to my beloved HP community.  My question is this:  when you read for pleasure and are not supporting hubbers, what is it you like to read?  Techy stuff?  How-to's? Funny?  Informative?  Fiction?  Life lessons?  Politics?  or (what I'm leaning towards) the lighter/brighter side of life?  Please feel free to be honest and add the category you are drawn towards.

2. dahoglund profile image73
    dahoglundposted 10 years ago

My reading is rather eclectic but I like mystery novels. My speical preference is for what I call clerical mysteries, where the protagonist is a clergy person of some sort. I guess I feel religion and mysteries are closely related-good vs evil and all that.

bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In today's age and even before, that's often the case.  Remember The Thornbirds?

3. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 10 years ago

I read a lot poetry (Billy Collins, Stephen Dunn, Dorianne Laux among others) and really like John LeCarre novels too.

I write poetry and have published a book of my compilations.  Now I'm moving onto stage 2 of my dream and am trying to determine the most lucrative avenue that feeds my creativity at the same time.  Thanx so much for your comment!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

Away from HubPages I go for non-fiction, particularly reference and/or textbooks.  Like a lot of people, I have limited available time to read, so I like to make productive use of it.

On HubPages, since there's obviously no textbooks or reference books, I tend to gravitate toward Hubs that present the writer's ideas/opinions on things.  I suppose that ties in with my thinking that reading time should involve some form of "learning" in that it allows the readers to learn/read the viewpoints/ideas of others.  I also like to learn more about some experiences/situations (positive or negative - doesn't matter) in life that I, personally, have had.

Don't go by my preferences, though.  We're all on an Internet where "everyone" says that "nobody" wants to read the ideas/opinions of writers who "aren't already famous".

Lisa, would you read a weekly feature in the newpaper that was fun and highlighted the bright side of life?  That's what I'm thinking about.  I'm just so tired of reading about the corruption and destruction in this world.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sure I would if I enjoyed the person's writing style in general.   (I've got quite the collection of "pure fluff" with my own writing.  There's something to be said for "fluff" sometimes.   smile  )

3. Lady Wordsmith profile image76
      Lady Wordsmithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, about having little time so wanting it to be productive. However, I read fiction in my spare minutes, which I see as a productive use of my time, learning about different writing styles that I might want to emulate or avoid.

5. Diana Lee profile image77
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

I like to read biographies about famous people and I like fiction directed toward the old days before the world spun out of control with high tech gadgets. Action packed western drama is another favorite of mine.

I'll take that into account.  Thank you, Diana!

6. Pennypines profile image60
    Pennypinesposted 10 years ago

If you want to get to sleep, the best sleeping pill in the world is a trashy novel. I fall asleep quickly and effectively the trashier the missive. 
    If you want enlightenment read a good biography.  However that keeps me awake because I don't want to put it down especially if the subject is a particularly interesting person. 
    So it depends entirely upon your mood at the time.

Pennypines, I like this comment.  Trashy for beddy by time.  Classic!

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ooophhhs, the question is: "When you read for pleasure, what do you reach for?"

Reading for pleasure.... errrrrrrrrrr, maybe I will reach out for my joystick, LOL.

7. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 10 years ago

In reading for pleasure, I like sports, history, travel, and romance fiction.  I recently read the classics of the Bronte sisters and loved them all.

8. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Novels, in hope that they become pocket friends. Characters that seem so real I can turn to them when feeling down. But for educational purposes I usually turn to Boundless.com or purchase a textbook/self-help book from Amazon.com. Boundless is similar to a college textbook, yet not as descriptive and is missing some information. Still you get the basics and it's free. Amazon has tons of books for just a penny and shipping.

Iburmaster, I enjoy novels also.  Textbooks not so much.

9. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

When I read for pleasure, I want something light and predictable.  Maybe a light weight romance, or even a young adult book - which i enjoy because they tend to be easy to predict, and don't have graphic sexual scenes.

Thanx, duffsmom.  Much appreciated!

10. btrbell profile image86
    btrbellposted 10 years ago

I prefer fiction. I am in a book club and read whatever the month's book is and when I have time, I read whatever sounds good to me. I am currently reading a book for my club, an Oprah's book selection and another book that one of my friends just published. Unfortunately, I am not doing any of them justice as I there aren't enough hours in the day!

Randi, I prefer fiction also.  What sort of articles do you read in the paper or in magazines?

2. btrbell profile image86
      btrbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much like "self-help" types. Or, something current like the the kidnapping of those three girls. You?

3. bravewarrior profile image88

I like human interest or useful tips for the home and garden.

11. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

I hardly have time to read for pleasure. Apart from my own websites, I joined HubPages last month and find myself presently torn between one and the other. Still, I try to find time to catch up with local politics and Facebook friends. Apart from that, I browse the web to research on articles I am writing. As you can see from my hubs, my interests are very varied, so it is hard to pinpoint what I read. It could be anything from SEO to how to make social networks work for me, or anything that helps me write a better hub or article. But "funny" is out. My sense of satisfaction comes from creating a well-written hub or article.

Walter, I understand.  I'm much in the same boat as you.  Thanx for taking the time to offer your feedback.

12. Sunshine625 profile image86
    Sunshine625posted 10 years ago

I like to read the daily newspaper. Biographies. Mysteries and thrillers. When I only have time to a quick read I enjoy the tweets on Twitter. I follow many media outlets and celebrity gossip is one of my guilty pleasures:)

Linda, do you read any of the feature writers in the Sentinel?

2. Sunshine625 profile image86
      Sunshine625posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes...Scott Maxwell is my favorite. His Facebook updates are a hoot! smile

I read him too and used to read Beth Kassab, but I haven't seen anything from her in a while.  I'm thinking of approaching the Orlando Sentinel but don't know what niche to present.  That's why I'm asking the question.

4. Sunshine625 profile image86

The three times my articles/stories were in the Sentinel was via the Editorial/Opinion/Insight pages. They requested and I delivered. I got lucky! smile

5. bravewarrior profile image88

Linda, can you shoot me an email?  I'd like to talk more about this.

6. Sunshine625 profile image86

Best answer! Woohoo! Thanks Shauna! smile

7. bravewarrior profile image88

You're welcome, Linda.  Thank you!

13. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 10 years ago

Well, BW, I tend to reach for non-fiction history, preferably something published within the past ten years. My current bedside book, for example, is Daniel Walker Howe's "What Hath God Wrought" on the period 1815--1848 in the U.S., between the end of the War of 1812 and the end of the Mexican-American War.
    For pure, unvarnished escapism, however, I will go for Stephen King's latest.

Jim, I'm a fan of King's also.  My favorite author in that genre is Dean Koontz.  Thanx for your feedback.

14. FlourishAnyway profile image96
    FlourishAnywayposted 10 years ago

Health and psychology, plus investing (but that gets dry).  Almost never fiction because it always seems so predictable.  Absolutely never politics.  Meh.  Too contentious.

I agree with you on the politics.  I hate politics and I'm fed up with all the political crap flying around!

15. Jordan Hake profile image81
    Jordan Hakeposted 10 years ago

I like a good fantasy, like the Lord of the Rings, The Prydain Chronicles, or Narnia.
    Mostly LOTR. smile

Thanx, Jordan.  I think that's a little out of my league as a writer, but we should never underestimate our abilities, right?

16. Anna Haven profile image72
    Anna Havenposted 10 years ago

My pleasure reading is always Paranormal/Fantasy fiction. I love these kind of novels and I find myself completely engrossed.
    Through reading them, I love finding myself in a fully described different world which has been so skillfully created.
    This is the path I ultimately would like my writing to take.
    Good question smile

I think you're well on your way, Anna!

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anna, paranormal fascinates me even more, after I read Tom Hellert's hub, My Out of Body Experience", as well as "PART I WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE.. or at least when I did" a few hours ago. I had an OBE once, and will be writing about it soon.

3. Anna Haven profile image72
      Anna Havenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WalterPoon thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

17. Lady Wordsmith profile image76
    Lady Wordsmithposted 10 years ago

I read mostly fiction in my spare time, and mostly fantasy. I tried to avoid it for quite a long time, imagining that it wasn't worthy literature and that, if I wanted to be well-read, I should read modern literary works and the classics. However, I decided that life is too short to worry about what literature snobs think of my reading habits, and I read fantasy again now, am drawn to it instinctively. I also tried to stay away from writing fantasy, for the same reasons as stated above - I thought that it was beneath the proper aspirations of an author, and tried to write something more high-brow and high-fallutin'! It didn't suit me, so I've gone back to my fantasy writing also. Sometimes, I just think that there's no point in trying to change oneself, when oneself does not want to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - isn't that what 'they' say?

Having said that, if the mood takes me, I'll read about road cycling, or popular science, astrophysics and atheism.  They're my favourite non-fiction topics, and I have something pertaining to each of those topics on my bedside table, for when I'm feeling clever.

Lady, you need to follow your passion.  Writers are avid readers and that often leads to a passion for writing.  You need to speak you passion to readers in order to be read.  Additiionally,you need to wirite your passion in order to be heard.

18. profile image52
    abt79posted 10 years ago

When i read for pleasure, I like to reach for a book. I do not always grab the book when i try to reach for it.

Funny!  Are you making fun of my choice of words?

2. profile image52
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Possibly....

Feel free to expound.  I'm open to criticism, although it appears you are not a viable member, judging by your hubscore.  Are you here to criticize and attack those who take this site and our craft seriously?

4. profile image52
      abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, i simply thought it was funny to joke about it.
      I am not trying to negatively criticize you, but maybe you should have been more specific in your question.

5. bravewarrior profile image88

The others seem to know exactly what I was asking.  Writers are dull if they are completely literate all of the time.  Do you not use colloquialisms when you speak or write?

6. Lady Wordsmith profile image76
      Lady Wordsmithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Woah, chill yer beans, bravewarrior. It seemed to me as though abt79 was just making a joke. I don't think any ill will was meant. Your words were more attacking, bravewarrior, when you got personal about a hubscore.

7. bravewarrior profile image88

Lady Wordsmith, you critique is well taken.  That's the problem with email and such.  Without hearing inflections, assumptions are made.  I apologize to you abt79 about your hubscore.  Just another reason our hubscores shouldn't be made public.

19. Aadom23 profile image58
    Aadom23posted 10 years ago

I read all types of books, nonfiction, african american literature, poetry  and more.

That's about how I write, Aadom.  I'm all over the place!

20. Andelion profile image58
    Andelionposted 10 years ago

Nirvana:)!!!!That is the first thing that came up to my mind but that is what basically happens to me when doing the reading for pleasure

I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't read Nirvana.

21. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I like to read history, mythology and information about old or ancient cultures and civilizations. I also enjoy fiction for its "escape" that it provides...the Game of Thrones books are my current infatuation smile

Interesting, MysticMoonlight.  Thanx for the comment.

22. Dan Barfield profile image72
    Dan Barfieldposted 10 years ago

Off the wall fiction - short stories that make you look at things you take for granted in an entirely new light. Neil Gaimon is my favorite author of the moment for tales that achieve this.

Thanx for your response, Dan.  I'm not familiar with Neil Gaimon.  I'll have to look into him.

23. profile image58
    MCF-AStAr4Everposted 10 years ago

Lately, when reading for pleasure, I usually opt for fiction or stories about the lighter/brighter side of life. I also read a lot of poetry for pleasure.
    All reading is a pleasure for me, so it was difficult to decide on a category!

That is odd you say that, MCF.  I like fiction, too.  What's odd is that I have decided to write about the lighter/brighter side of life.  How did you manage to get inside my head?

2. profile image58
      MCF-AStAr4Everposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's magic!---- Best of luck writing about the lighter/brighter side of life!

24. profile image53
    KayRoseRedposted 10 years ago

I read a lot of fantasy books. I like to read them to explore what the is going on in the author's head, to see what is going peeking around in their imagination. Also to explore a new world. A world that can only be see through small black printed words.(sorry if that sounded goofy:))

It didn't sound goofy at all.  You read creative works and leave creative comments, too!

25. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8521892_f260.jpg

I love to read all of Dr. Wayner Dyer's books.  My favorites are Gifts from Eykis, Inspiration, You See When You Believe It.  I also read the book Secrets and Magic.  I love reading history and psychological books.  I have read the Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan.   I also love the Insight Travel Guides series; these books are so informative.  My favorite is the American South and Mexico.

I devour Dr. Russell Burton books on the devil.  I have all of his books dealing with the subject, my favorite one is Prince of Darkness and Mephistofeles.  I have so many books to read for pleasure.  Legions, legions, and LEGIONS.  I have read Dr. Neumann's book The Great Mother, a psychological treatise of the mother psychotype in the human consciousness from the good mother to the devouring mother. 

I also have a collection of books pertaining to World War II-the European theatre, the Jewish Holocaust, and the aftermath of World War II in Europe.  I have a collection of books on Eastern European Jewry and the Eastern European Jewish diaspora in America.  I have books on fashion.   So many, many books I LOVE books!

1. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love books too, so please tell me that is a pic of your library! If it isn't, just lie and say it is!

2. bravewarrior profile image88

You have quite a vast repertoire!

26. profile image0
    Mklow1posted 10 years ago

This is a great question! I usually read the classics because I can't justify reading anything new until I get through the old stuff first. Then I will rotate to a history or biography from maybe Edmund Morris or David McCullough. Then maybe a science book by Steven Hawkins or such, and then something non-fiction by Bill Bryson. My favorite of anything, though, is outdoors. Jack O'Connor, Field and Stream Collection, Tales From Grey, but most of all books from the Peter Capstick Library. I can sit and read one of those for hours!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)