Should Jodi Arias get the death penalty or life without parole?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. RealityTalk profile image61
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Should Jodi Arias get the death penalty or life without parole?

Jodi Arias has been found guilty of first degree murder and guilty of cruelty in the aggravation phase of her trial for the murder of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander.  The jurors who found her guilty of the first two phases of the trial could not agree on the final phase, which resulted in a hung jury and a mistrial for the final phase of the trial.  Now the State & the victim's family have to decide whether to continue and impanel a new jury.  A new jury would decide whether Arias receives the death penalty or life with or without parole.  If they cannot decide, the death penalty is out.

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

Does the term 'cruel and unusual punishment' mean anything to you? big_smile
    I don't want to have darts thrown at me, so I'll stay away from that but this seems like a catch-22. The death penalty will mean Arias won't have to live with her actions or 'live' a life of punishment, the worst part for her will be in that awaiting the actual execution of the death penalty. Life in prison without the possibility of parole? Her smug attitude and arrogant demeanor would probably make 'life in prison' bearable for her. She strikes me as the type that can make herself home anywhere. She'd probably be 'one of the girls' and even have some admirers, between guards and inmates, just because of the way she is and she'd probably thrive on it. Honestly, I can't say that either option would bring much satisfaction.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 10 years ago

I can't imagine how that would be up to me to decide.  What another Soul "should" or "shouldn't" get as her "just desserts" in quite frankly none of my business.  If it were me she'd terminated, I might well have an opinion on the subject, but as it is, I've got enough going on without "joining the jury" in the Arias case.

RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can appreciate your sentiment.  It is easier for us to say she should be sentenced to death, but to be a juror sentencing her to death or the actual person who gives her the lethal injection is something else.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

No death penalty. I say let her spend the rest of her life in prison suffering for what she has done. The death penalty would be the easy way out. For what she put that man through (basically torture) before she finally took his life is horrendous. Let her suffer everyday of her life in prison. She deserves nothing better.

I hate to admit it, but I agree she should suffer for what she did to Travis.  This woman thinks this whole thing is "The Jodi Show."  She has shown no remorse and she insults Travis' family by claiming herself a victim of abusive at Travis' hand.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

If we insist on having a death penalty then I can't imagine anyone who is more deserving of it. Had this been a man who was convicted of doing this to a woman there would not be much debate about it.
    There has always been a (gender) bias when it comes to punishment for the same types of crime in our justice system.

see my Hub on "Why are men less victims than women."  We are in full agreement on the point you made.

6. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

If the United States would adopt a firm practice of executing convicted murderers, it would result in a reduced murder rate. If a person knew he would likely be executed for killing another, he would probably think harder on the matter.

"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. (Ecclesiastes 8:11)

The trouble is that convicted criminals many times are not given justice, and if they are, long periods of time often elapse.

U.S. Supreme Justices questioned the effectiveness of the death penalty due to just what you said.  Appeal after appeal after appeal & they can survive on death row for a decade & some.

7. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

If I were deciding she would get death and it would be carried out exactly 365 days after the sentencing.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why exactly 365 days? Just curious...

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In California there have been people such as "The Night Stalker" who have been on "death row" for over 20 years! Texas and Florida are probably the quickest states to follow through with executions and it still takes longer than a year.

3. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

it is enough time to have a complete review of all evidence, including anything excluded under the rules of evidence, and 1 appeal. That is all I would grant anyone sentenced to death.

8. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I believe Jodi should get the death penalty. Life for life, especially for the one who committed such a cruel crime on another. Why should our tax dollars support such a person?

It is pretty sad that tax dollars of hard working Americans are paying for her defense & will pay for every appeal she makes hereafter.

2. Abby Campbell profile image74
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, RealityTalk. Some may not believe in the death penalty, and that's fine. We all have our own beliefs. However, non-existence or hell would be my choice for her. We are punishing ourselves (taxes) with keeping her around. hmm

9. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

RT......Having followed this case, closely, from every angle and position, I actually have made a decision, in terms of your question.  The truth is, after becoming so fixated on this enigma, named Jodi Arias, I went into professional expert mode.....pulled out every text book, all reference material, clinical journal and BPD studies, I had at my disposal.
    Ms. Arias, although diagnosed with BPD, as well as a few additional PD's,that serve to exacerbate her core pervasive disorder, is FAR from being a victim of "classic" mental illness.  She is, in fact, in full control of her faculties, however emotionally immature, sexually deviant and void of common sense.
    Her public statement of preferring the Death Penalty as opposed to Life, w/o parole, was simply, yet another LIE, due to her uncontrolled pathology.
    In any event, DESPITE what her "choice," is.....(she, being UNAWARE no one CARES what her choice is).....Jodi adores herself much too intensely, to request the needle.   
    Personally, I do not believe in Capital Punishment.  IMO, it is NOT a punishment.  It is merely a permanent sleep.   This is not what should be done to Jodi Arias, to truly PAY for her unspeakable crime.... the egregious, pre-meditated, cruel slaughter of a human being.  Jodi has earned much worse than eternal sleep.
    Life w/o parole, considering the crime she has been declared guilty of......is an horrendous, long, lonely, painful existence.  She will be stripped of any and all comforts, pleasures, dignities, and interaction with others.  Her every move will be directed, supervised and demanded, 24/7.  Basically, think of a caged animal, with LESS than what is afforded an animal in a zoo.  Prison food, sounds, smells & degradation.....lack of sunlight, fresh air, physical activities.....one hour per day outside of her cage....only 3 showers per week.....day after day after day.....etc.....etc.....A life of HELL.
    THIS, is what Jodi deserves.  Nothing more....nothing less.

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's the answer... right there! How can you argue with that? Thank you; I couldn't agree more!

2. RealityTalk profile image61

fpherj48, Watching the trial as long and intensely as I did, I kept looking for something ... anything in Jodi Arias that resembled remorse ... instead, I saw a T-SHIRT and I heard lie after lie and heard Jodi, Jodi, Jodi.  She is infuriating.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah, yes, "THE T-SHIRT." How DARE she? True Domestic abuse victims, are TRAPPED. They do NOT "stalk" their abuser, nor move themselves MILES, to live near them, or sneak into their abuser's home. They do NOT go to extremes to be NEAR abuse! HELLO Jodi

10. MPChris profile image66
    MPChrisposted 10 years ago

I love Ghost's opinion on the matter. If no other external factors were apart of it, it really isn't for me to decide. Its between those involved (including now, the Jury).

However, there is a major externality. There are numerous cases/instances where persons were released due to medical evidence before being executed, and at least once where a prisoner was executed after evidence had been discovered contrary.

So long as we execute folks, we will execute some % which are innocent. To me there is no greater miscarriage of justice.

Good point.  Just today on TV there was a man on death row for 18 years who was exonerated by medical evidence.  Our forefathers believed it better 10 guilty go free than one innocent die.

11. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

Honestly, I don't know. What she did was utterly cruel and not only has she shown no remorse, she has tried to take advantage of her fame from media coverage. Worst, she did everything she could to defame her victim. I find this beyond cold and calculated. Despite this, I wasn't on the jury, nor made privy to every bit of testimony in the case, so with all respect to Travis Alexander's memory and his family, I would leave this decision for the jury that is due to be selected.

However, if I happened to be in that state and chosen for that jury, and knew every facet of the case that convicted her, I can't see as I would let her age be a factor in determination. It would be my responsibility to look at the suffering of the victim and those he left behind, much more so than the potential rehabilitation of his killer.  She had her chance to live a good, fulfilled life; he was denied this.

I am curious.  If you were on the jury & you found as the jurors did for phase 1 & 2 of the trial.  Could you have sentenced a pretty young woman to death in phase 3? I think a woman could, but many men cannot not, because she is female &

2. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reality Talk, I can't speak for any man, but for me the matter of looks doesn't even enter the equation. Ted Bundy was an attractive man but that didn't count for squat and it should not count for squat.

3. Abby Campbell profile image74

I agree, Beth! Many male serial killers have been good looking men. Not only Ted Bundy, but Jeffrey Dahmer and Gary Ridgway. Ridgway was even an NFL player. We must look at the crime, not the face.

12. RealityTalk profile image61
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

If anyone is interested in my answer, here is my answer.  I have problems with killing anyone for any reason.  I am a pacifist by nature, but I am admittedly far from perfect.  I have no doubt that given the happening of certain events in my life - if they were to occur - I could find the desire and the will to kill.

If my wife or children were raped or murdered by anyone, I believe I could kill the perpetrator out of hate, revenge and the desire to wipe their existence from the face of this Earth.  It would be especially difficult if I personally had to be the one carrying out the execution, but under these circumstances I would overcome my inclinations for mercy and my hatred of death and violence.

I think what would bother me most about the perpetrator living out his/her life, even if in prison, would be the knowledge that (s)he could still think.  That she could still smile & have happy thoughts.  That (s)he could still think and love and be loved.  That (s)he could visit & interact with family & friends; even if only on a limited basis.  While all the while my wife or child lay buried in the ground; lost to me forever.

These aforementioned thoughts are what come to mind when I think of Jodi Arias and what she has done to Travis Alexander's family.  As well as her lack of remorse.  As well as her cold & callous affront to Travis' family.  And finally, Jodi's using her dastardly deed as a stepping stone to personal fame, financial gain & infamy.  I believe she should get the death penalty for these reasons & more.  And if Travis Alexander was my spouse or child.  As much as I deplore killing.  I would want to be the one to perform the execution.

1. Abby Campbell profile image74

Thanks for sharing!  I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. I feel bad for Travis' family and friends. Jodi will get satisfaction as she has all along if she continues to live. She'll have it easy living for free (on our money), relations with guards, etc

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)