Holidays. Is this a time to relax or does it make you nervous for being inactive

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image77
    Escobanaposted 10 years ago

Holidays. Is this a time to relax or does it make you nervous for being inactive?

For some people holidays are the time of their life to disconnect themselves from long days of work. For others it's the perfect time to bring their laptop/tablet to the swimming pool, to continue their work because they can't do nothing or they just enjoy their work so much. What are holidays to you and do you need them to disconnect or not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7506784_f260.jpg

2. Mabalani profile image71
    Mabalaniposted 10 years ago

It's nice to get away from your usual surroundings from time to time. Whether its a short city break or a longer holiday on land or near water. And if you live in the British Isles its nice to go anywhere were there will be sunshine for more than three days at a time, although I'd settle for that at the moment. This is summer is marjinally better than last year, simply because we are not suffering from floods.
    For me my state of mind is what determines whether I am able to 'disconnet' or not. Irrespective where I am, if my state of mind is not at peace then I will not be able to manage disconneting from the issue or issues that have caused me to be disquite. Neither sunshine nor luxury will be able to do it. I am ruled by my state of mind. 

The only thing I can think of that a holiday may be able to do it for me, would be to afford me to go walking in some awe inspriring landscape so that I can think my way out of my predicament, that I feel like I'm making some head way towards solving whatever may be ailing me, and in that way it will have been a factor towards recharding one's batteries.

Escobanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess I'm ruled by my state of mind as well. To get away from my usual surroundings always work for me though I travel (too) much this year which almost makes me long for the usual stuff. I'm blessed to be able to travel much though:-) I love it!

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image90
      Gabriel Wilsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you would love Madeira; sunshine and walking is what this island is all about. I like your attitude of state of mind; very true. Go steady smile

3. Escobana profile image77

Madeira is on the bucketlist! First I'll see Capri this year and Sicily I have to revisit as well. I should meet a rich Italian to travel to other gems in this world as well LOL. Know any (rich) Italian around my age? ;-)

3. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

I'm too busy to be inactive. Holidays for me mean extra time to try to catch up on my writing, teaching, housework, yard work. I might visit some, too. I look forward to the extra time for things I need to get done. I wish it weren't that way. I don't really take vacations. I used to take a week off work to do stuff at home. I loved it. I would be too stressed out to take a real vacation (or holiday, as many call it). Too much work with packing and traveling and coming back to a mess. Aw, maybe one day I'll have a real vacation!

Oh Victoria! I definitely see you lying on a towel, surrounded by palmtrees, the fresh breeze of the tropicals and no WIFI:-) Or maybe I should keep you company to keep you busy LOL. Two girls talking about random stuff.

2. Victoria Lynn profile image88
      Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Escobana. Two girls talking about random stuff sounds fun! :-)

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

I feel like I should be relaxing or going on trips like most people I know. Yet I'm just working, going through my reading list fast as lightning, taking discount courses during the summer, and a time to refresh and feel more comfortable. It's a little saddening but a few things are getting done. It just seems slow going.

I think it's a matter of choice. You could try holidays at Ibiza and forget about discount courses. At Ibiza you reconnect with nature, yourself, the sun the sea and the Ibiza magic. Afterwards you come back completely refreshed, ready to rock.

5. Gabriel Wilson profile image90
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 10 years ago

When I lived in England, I regularly had a holiday to recharge my batteries, the need for sunshine and swimming in the sea was a must for me; I always had this as a child growing up in Ireland; many moons ago, when summers were summers.
    These days: holidays are not so important; my weekends are though. I will work through the week but come Saturday afternoon, it's time to switch off till Monday morning. Any work done, is only because it must be so; ordinarily that doesn't happen too often. It's important to recharge and give your brain a break. An overworked body/brain is no good to anyone.
    In answer to your question: no, if I need a holiday, I'll have a holiday no bother about being inactive; I'll work twice as hard with less effort for having a break.

I agree an overworked body/brain is no good to anyone. I can also see your point in recharging during the weekends. If you do so, holidays can be very relaxing because you start your holiday in a fit shape.

6. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
    ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years ago

Ummmmmmmmm, for me holidays are the best time to unwind myself, whenever I feel that that stress is getting the better off me, I love to plunge into vacations, for me they are the times to rejig your tired soul.

I recognize the feeling of plunging into holidays:-) Stress should be a non issue in our lives but unfortunately it isn't. When was your last holiday? Where did you go to?

2. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, it has been ages I feel since my last blissful trip, it was in the mysterious Machu Picchu, really brought goose bumps

3. Escobana profile image77

WOW! That must have been an amazing trip! Hope you'll have a next one soon:-)

4. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
      ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ya, hope so

7. LensMan999 profile image57
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

For me it is the best time I get to spend with my family. It's a time for relaxation too. If we go on working continuously without taking such breaks the life would be very boring. Holidays provide a new freshness to us so that we could do our job much better.

True. Life would be borig without a holiday break once in a while. When I couldn't afford expensive trips, I visited cities nearby and booked a hotel. Even like that you feel you've been 'out' for real. Recharged too.

8. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

I don't see how any woman can manage to be inactive at holidays, but like Christmas I make sure my present buying is done and ready so I can enjoy the season.

That's a great way to start the Christmas holidays. Buying those presents can be very stressful. Having it done and ready makes it possible to enjoy this wonderful season to the max:-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)