Why are there so many churches?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (46 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Why are there so many churches?

In a neighboring city there is a population of 9000 and there are 126 churches. Isn't this excessive and a waste of money(for the rents and building costs)? What's the point in having so many.

2. Efficient Admin profile image83
    Efficient Adminposted 10 years ago

I am guessing it's because a lot of new churches spring up because there is a dislike towards "organized" religion so they go and start their own churches.  I don't know this for a fact but it is a guess.

Some new preachers say they feel "called" to plant a church. In my town there are 900+ churches and there are a lot of new start up churches that meet in local school gymnasiums until they can afford their own building.  I am thinking that depending on the demographic there are still many people who need and/or like to have a spiritual aspect to their lives.

3. Dantex460 profile image61
    Dantex460posted 10 years ago

I agree, hospitals in their place would make for better use.

1. johnsonrallen profile image89
      johnsonrallenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So they need 126 hospitals in the town?

2. Dantex460 profile image61
      Dantex460posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Library's, schools, orphanages pretty much anything is a better use of space.

3. johnsonrallen profile image89

I'm assuming the town has those. Those are all taxpayer funded though, a church is not. I think I get your angle and what you're trying to say, but churches provide much relief you can't find elsewhere.

4. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

jr-- and the vast majority provide a lot of false teachings you cant get anywhere else too.   there are too many of those little kingdoms everywhere.

5. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

These "churches" want to  relieve you of the money in your wallet after they preach the traditions of man from the pulpit.

6. johnsonrallen profile image89

Why does it seem everyone keeps assuming every church is an evil, greedy organization? It can be said of some but not all. What should we do, sit at home and read our Bible alone? Not serve? Not give our time? Not fellowship?

7. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

John, I think some of the issue is the buildings. If people chose to meet in conference rooms, fields with tents, or other similar type locations could you imagine how much more money could go to serving the community and helping those in need?

8. johnsonrallen profile image89

My church initially met in a movie theater but a building was donated by a member (the owner of Sweetwater Sound). We have addiction counseling, orphanage in Mexico, prostitute rescue and free dentistry to Kurds in Iraq. Many are the same and own

9. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's great but not the norm. On average 4000 churches open in the usa each year. That's 80 per state!! 7000 close each year, and statistically their buildings do not get reused as churches. This equals wasted money.

10. johnsonrallen profile image89

It's certainly ridiculous. Some criticize churches in general, which is not fair. While I don't agree w/ all the churches popping up, it's not taxpayer dollars. If people want to pay for a new church it's their money to spend as they see fit.

4. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 10 years ago

Let us look at it from a different perspective; church is family, meaning that church functions well when it functions like a family unit. Of the population of 9000, I would like to think that there are far more families existing there than compared to a church. If we said, having so many families living in different houses, each paying their own bills and doing what they choose is a sheer waste of resources, then may be we can say that about the church.

However, if we refused to think of the church as an institution that simply depends on its people to support their leaders and projects, we might appreciate the fact that, having different churches is actually more effective in terms of functioning and caring. Several small churches where members are close to one another, know one another and are like family to each other is better than on one monstrosity of a church where only the oldest can find their way and the new feel completely lost.

While I have pondered and criticized the idea of having far too many churches, instead of just a few, I have recently moved from those politics to get to a place where, it must be acceptable to have that many churches. 129 for a population of 9000 sounds extravagant, but for Christian witness, if these Christians find in themselves to cooperate once in a while, it is a good thing, overall.

5. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

I could see it being a waste of money if people were not attending. My guess is this isn't the case though. Often new churches are built in order to fit the growing number of members who want to attend. I know the church I attend now has 2 new buildings to accommodate the members who were not only driving a far distance , but also because space was becoming very limited. This is only a guess though considering I dont know anything about those 126 churches. If they are mostly empty every Sunday , then I agree its a waste of money. I'm also guessing though that if that's the case they wont last long. They kind of depend on members to help pay for rent and things to keep the church going.

6. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Because churches have followers. They are not easily swayed and follow their religions closely. It's the reason for life, a status circle, and the answer to the emptiness all we feel. To be honest, the side effects of religion usually have positive benefits on our health and the health of others. Actually, for that population it doesn't sound so bad.

7. johnsonrallen profile image89
    johnsonrallenposted 10 years ago

I think most people don't want to be a part of a mega-church anyway. People in general want to be in a close-knit group and feel part of something special and wanted. Also, growth can be a huge factor as well. I've been going to the same church for 2 years now. Last summer there were 450 people on average each Sunday. Last week we had nearly 750- and keep in mind that was still summer vacation. There actually is a need for more churches when you consider growth like this.

8. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Obviously there are many sinners that need those local churches to administer to them.  Therefore, many doors are opened for those sinners to gain an audience with Jesus who gave his life so that their sins would be forgiven.  The followers of the Lord are administering to those in need.
    Mathew 9: 12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

1. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus May have meant that everyone was a natural conduit to God/you dont need God or Jesus or a church/to gain an audience with God/all you need is your own desire to enrichment/a want to better yourself/to become the one GOD knew you could become

2. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

RNMSN, you are correct, I do not need a church. However, some sinners need a physical crutch in order to gain such an audience. They desire a hallowed portal to the enrichment. Without the physical many sinners are lost in the bellows of immoral.

3. celafoe profile image55

Rnmsn--- you do not need a church but you DO NEED JESUS to get to God.
      1 Tim 2:5-7   For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

9. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 10 years ago

becase no one really knows/no one really has all the aswers /But everyone thinks they do
    you do realize that God probably was the ultimate rebel who thought organized religion sucked big di-k?

1. celafoe profile image55

are we supposed to be impressed with your nastiness?  its  Not something we should see in the Christian section

10. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 10 years ago

C'mon folks what world do you guys live in, Hello anybody home? What runs this world?

Money baby, and churches are a tax exempt business, pure and simple. They don't have to show a profit and can pay themselves any salary they so choose.

The best thing about it is they get your money and don't really have to provide any service for it and its all tax free, its a business and one of the oldest scams in the books and people keeping falling for it over and over again.

Why do you suppose the Vatican is the richest corporation in the world? They own the banks, they lend the money, they even own many countries and they just keep getting richer while giving nothing to the poor.

Suckers!

1. johnsonrallen profile image89

This is certainly the case with some. I think many mega churches are cesspools of greed. However, most actual churches are living week by week, behind with the bills much like ordinary people.

2. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Or the appearance is perpetrated as such so that folks will give more, which church will receive more the glamorous one or the one that has the appearance of need, its a con game with no rules, don't be naive!

3. johnsonrallen profile image89

Again, I said many churches operate that way, but certainly not all. A church should disclose budget info to members. I've been on staff with several churches, seen bank acct info, etc to know how things run behind the scenes.

4. somethgblue profile image72

Good for you, my point of course is, that the reason for so many churches is that it can be an easy way to create/sustain a way of life without having to offer much in return.

Faith based initiatives do not require a physical return for money given!

5. johnsonrallen profile image89

Fair enough. Key words there are "can be." However, don't blame someone for being naïve or a sucker because they are actually a part of a church. That kind of sweeping generalization is as bad as saying all Muslims are terrorists.

6. celafoe profile image55

well  ALL MUS SLIMES ARE TERRORISTS.   there is no question.  and mst other people other thanbond slave Christians will also be when  they start to take over-- that or die.  anyone truly converted wiil read bible and see the "church"  errors & fl

7. johnsonrallen profile image89

Well, I'm sure somethgblue and I can agree on one thing here...

8. somethgblue profile image72

Not all churches are cons just as not all cops are bad but we live in a society where money rules and when the pickings are easy ethics and morals go down the drain. It is mostly due to education and breakdown of the American family, follow the money

9. johnsonrallen profile image89

Yes, I can agree with that. While I have cops in my family, I see (just like preachers) the power go to the heads of those who hold it and a steady decline happens over time. Sad but true.

10. somethgblue profile image72

I'm sure we agree on many topics but it is difficult to relay info in short comments, so one generalizes, which can ruffle feathers. I keep an open mind on all subjects but base knowledge on experience in the hopes of creating wisdom.

11. johnsonrallen profile image89

I know how it works and believe me-I can disagree with someone today and be totally in your corner tomorrow. I suppose that's part of being grown up. No time for grudges here.

12. Wakerra profile image72
      Wakerraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Saying that all muslims are slime and terrorists, is like saying all Christians are hypocrites.  Its a false statement and, while on the topic of Christianity, a very UN-Christian like thing to say.  Judge Not.

13. celafoe profile image55

wakerra-- it is not un Christian. you need to read what the satanic koran commands of ALL muslims.   as a Christian is to follow the bible a muslim is to follow the evil koran.  ALL muslims are to kill ALL non muslimes.  or they They will be killed.

14. Wakerra profile image72
      Wakerraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is not to say all Muslims follow this belief, and I believe that particular "translation" was corrupted.  I have had the opportunity to meet with and speak to Muslim people, they are not slime, nor were they feeling the need to kill me

11. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

certainly esp since probably none of them lead people to Christ, but instead are building their own little kingdoms and bring people to them.
    the sad truth is that people are more concerned with pushing what they believe than knowing the truth.
    Scriptures tell is there is ONLY one true understanding of scripture and we are not to have division and schism because of it.    But instead of getting together and finding the TRUTH they prefer to divide the body into many bodies that end up not being a part of the real body because of their refusal to adhere to the scriptural admonition.
    the primary reason is because some people want to have pre eminance which the bible says not to do.
    I guess the bottom line is some people think more highly of themselves that they ought , which is another un Christian characteristic.
    And scripture also says because they have not a love  for the truth God has sent them a strong delusion and they now believe they are the only ones with truth and go on to deceive others of like mind

12. profile image52
    WATERSTARposted 10 years ago

From, WATERSTAR, This question ,Could Be easily,or Rightfully have Said Why are there so Many Building Of All Diffrent size and shape That People Assemble themself to Give Thanks and praise to the one they called their Maker and GOD, But in reality there is only one true Church, each person by themself is the Church, as it is written from the episcle of paul Writing , ye are the TEMPLE OF GOD, And each person Must Keep Their TEMPLE OR CHURCH CLEAN OR HOLY FOR the GOD THEY Serve His HOLY and every Member Of The Church, which include all True Belivers in JESUS CHRIST, Make up THE TRUE TRUE  Church Which IS ONE BODY THE BODY OF JESUS CHRIST, WHICH IS THE CHURCH, Because their are so many members  and Leaders of So many views and opinions of their own and many not relating to the BIBLE Leaders Of different views Place diffrent Title Name upon a Building and in most cases to express their own views of what they belive to the people they Leed, also people of different Langueges, find it more easier to worship with people that they can easily understand when Praising GOD, as it is WRITTEN ONE LORD ONE FAITH ONE BAPTISM ONE GOD OUER US ALL, MYSTRIES OF MYSTRIES HERE O ISRAEL THE LORD YOUR GOD IS ONE LORD AND BESIDE HIM THERE IS NO OTHER GOD, MYSTRIES OF MYSTRIES in THE GOSPEL OF ST. JOHN CHAPTER 1 TO 20 IN THE BEGINING WAS THE WORD AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD AND THE WORD WAS GOD. and as IT is WRITTEN JESUS OF NAZERETH KING OF THE JEWS, JESUS DIED SO HE COULD PURCHASE, BUY BACK ADAM and PUT ADAM Back to PARADISE IN ADAM ALL DIED BUT WHEN JESUS DIED HE GAVE BACK ADAM BACK HIS LIFE, BUT IN JESUS ALL CAN BE MADE ALIVE,WHEN ANY PERSON ACCEPT JESUS AS THEIR LORD YOU CAN SHED ADAM SIN AND HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST, as it is Written I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE, who is THE TRUE CHURCH,with many members that make up His BODY. BY WATERSTAR:

social programs  are good but the purpose of the church is to Promote and extend the Kingdom of God not a local "church" and unfortunately that is what most do.

13. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

This is a good question. I wonder how many people attend each church regularly. Many times churches spring up out of division (people leaving a church and starting their own) It is too bad that people can not get along and come together on the same belief that Jesus' birth, life, death and resurrection is the foundation of the Christian church and live together the way Jesus wants us too.

14. Wakerra profile image72
    Wakerraposted 10 years ago

What do you need to build a church?  A Bible, someone to preach from it, and enough people to follow you.  There is only one Bible (mostly), so, as you asked, why are there so many churches?  Don't we all (mostly) read from the same Bible?  Does it not read in Ephesians 4:5 "One Lord, one faith, one baptism"?  Christ organized ONE church on the earth, he taught ONE Gospel, but over the course of time, that gospel became corrupt.  It's why the Bible is so contradictory, and why there are so many interpretations, hence, why there are so many churches

15. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

When you take the major religions and the many sect offshoots it explains it pretty clearly

You take 100 people and give them all one book and chances are they all will get something different out of it. Then add in leader and follower personalities and the followers will line up behind those leaders closest to their way of thinking. most religions have this in common.

16. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

peeples.   Blatant truth?   There are as many churches in some areas as there are Pizza Parlors and Fast food Places.....because they are all BUSINESSES.   It is not at all a stretch, to know that 9 of 10 churches were built/established by someone or a group of someones....who were aware of the BONUSES involved in being a "preacher/pastor".....to the flocks of sheep, in search of a place to belong, pray, study and feel protected against the evils of the world.
    Easily supported, tax exempt, community response and respect,  Congregation-paid home, salary, car.......position of power & respect.....Not a bad "career choice" peeples...........Some even make it to the Televangelist Level......a.k.a  "The Millionaire's Club."...........Still wonder why there are so many churches?

you are so correct

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)