An atheist myself, I have noticed many angry and disrespectful atheists on foru

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image58
    HundredDollarBillposted 10 years ago

An atheist myself, I have noticed many angry  and disrespectful atheists on forums these days.

Please answer without rudeness and hostility. Thank you

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

There are plenty of rude people to go around. I've seen rude atheists, but I've seen a lot of rude believers also.  Conversely, I know a lot of very kind, nice people here - both believers and non-believers who treat one another with respect.  I choose to associate with the latter. The forums are like a free-for-all here on religious/political topics.

1. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it goes deeper. I have been attacked for my beliefs on hubs having nothing to do with my beliefs. I think we cannot avoid people who express these views. Nor should we allow bullying against others.

2. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very true. I'd moderate comments that resort to that, particularly on non-related topics. I see no reason to allow that because it is just instigating.

3. PoeticFailosophy profile image56
    PoeticFailosophyposted 10 years ago

What is the question?  (I'm asking for a friend.)

1. conradofontanilla profile image66
      conradofontanillaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The question may be:" Should an atheist respect a fellow atheist, an agnostic and a believer?"

4. A Happy Man profile image69
    A Happy Manposted 10 years ago

Good.  As a Christian, I obviously completely disagree with your position.  I also respect your right to believe as you wish.  Would that others come from a similar place, yes?

5. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 10 years ago

I know what you mean. But, atheist or not, there is no reason for rudeness in the forums. I think people should be allowed to believe as they believe. Sure, I'm going to share my beliefs with you, but I'm not going to beat you over the head just because you don't believe as I believe. I have an in-law who is an atheist and she is the meanest "you-know-what" on the planet. I have another in-law who claims she and Jesus are buddies. Yet, she's even meaner than the atheist.

By the way, I'm not an atheist, but I have met a lot of atheists who are the kindest, gentlest people on the planet.

People are people. The labels are merely an attempt to give themselves an identity. Atheist or not, character matters a lot.

6. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

I belong to another group where one of the most important traditions of the group is to place principals before personalities. Most times, the one beating the pulpit the loudest is the one that just don't get the whole concept. They don't realize that when their personality totally outweighs their principals, their principals no longer have credibility and people just shut them down. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. We all get carried away a little when the topic is one that we are very passionate about, such as religion or politics. Usually, the overbearing personality is the first one to resort to personal attacks and at that point have only one goal. The Last Word!

7. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years ago

Mutual respect is certainly the most important tool for continuing discussion.

8. Smireles profile image65
    Smirelesposted 10 years ago

I stay away from the forums because it distresses me to get drawn into the vicious battles that pass for debate from Christians and Atheists, Agnostics, etc. Everyone is entitled to believe as they choose, but when everyone is against everyone it is too stressful for me. I have noticed this tendency here on HubPages but it is also done on other forums too. I do not like it.

9. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

I did not see anyone angry. I see some hubs not finish because they have bad language. Some people do not know. We are not allow to used bad words.

10. Chuck Bluestein profile image62
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

I have seen some rude black people but there are also rude white people. So you will find rude people of any race or religion, although maybe less with Buddhists since they believe in karma. Actually it is not enough to believe in God. For someone to be at peace and be kind all of the time, he needs to know that God exists.

11. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

It is my understanding from engaging these folks - and even observing myself, regrettably, from time to time that it is not the issue at hand that brings on such behavior. We must be clear that what we speak of is not just disrespect but a form of bullying. And a look at that concept brings us to a better understanding. And yes we can look inward to find some answers.
    The person showing the disrespect harbors within themselves the reason for the disrespect. It is not the other person or the victim that causes the problem. Something is just haywire in the bad actor. Anger and fear are the primary causes. And anger and fear are inside jobs. People who are suffering from these two siblings of motivation do not need a platform to ply their trade. The wife who gets beaten does not need to give her husband a reason. The disgusting reasons are all within the husband.
    Next time you see the negative behavior go and look at other writings from the bad actor. I promise you will find anger and fear in most of their writings. Regardless of platform. We must just concede that some people are basically angry at the world. Generally these people are leaners toward bullying. It just spews forth. We have a few contributors  here that are just constantly angry. And some that just have developed a habit of angry speech without courtesy. I can get along with them normally as I get it, that it is not about me but their angst.
    Now as to atheists. The inability to have faith and belief in the unprovable is not a good or bad thing. Just as the ability to have them does not make another any better, just different. We need both mind and "soul" to function. And it stands to reason that some would be more gifted in one than the other. It just is. And it just is that we can choose to nourish one more than the other.
    Now one who chooses the more emotional track is more likely to have more sympathy and empathy. The one who chooses the more logical and scientific track is more likely to not worry about feelings and emotions.
    So what may appear to be disrespect of another is more likely disrespect for feelings and emotions of another. It is not personal. They just nurture a part that is not concerned with warm fuzzies and politeness which wastes their time.
    So if we are atheists or believers we should be patient with those that do not value pleasantness and feelings and emotions. Again it is not disrespect of you but of those notions. Remember there is no rule that says we must be nice.

12. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 10 years ago

You can say THAT twice and mean it!  For real!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)