Whatever Happened to Integrity?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (35 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I'm so saddened to see the lack of integrity in honor around us and so much of it is accepted.  Celebrities lie to the public, break contracts, and mislead their fans.  (e.i.  Favre who kept telling everyone time and again that he was really retired and then changed his mind despite how it might effect others.) People around us tell lies to our faces and then expect us to be ok with it.  Why do we accept it?

1. queenbe profile image60
      queenbeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think society has become complacent to the world and turns a blind eye to what is going on in Hollywood and in society in general. They figure it doesn't involve them so why worry or do anything about it. Integrty has gone by the wayside and it is sickening to see. One day they will get woke up when something bites them in their life and not until.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with a lot of what has been expressed here and yet I don't see it so much as sad as pathetic. Celebrities, Wall St, CEO's, religious leaders, business owners all lie to get ahead.
      Nothing is ever going to change that. hmm

It is harder to trust people and parents have a huge responsibility to teach their children not only values but street smarts. 

We change what we can change. smile

2. Luciendasky profile image61
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

I wish I knew... I often wonder the same thing.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Why do you think it was any different before?

1. RGraf profile image88
      RGrafposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to give you that.  Hadn't looked at it like that.  It saddens me when I cannot take other people at their word and have to anticipate lies and such.  I think that the only thing that has changed publicly is that we don't expect others to have integrity.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think those are unrealistic expectations. smile Very few people ever had total integrity. Most of us have some. Very few don't have any. I don't think it is anything to be sad about, yet it is definitely something to account for smile

1. ledefensetech profile image67
          ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How much a person values integrity is an individual decision.  It does seem that more and more people value integrity much less than other values.  The question is why?

My personal opinion is that it is due to the lack of emphasis on Judeo-Christian concepts of right and wrong and the whole idea of penance.  Of course that could have something to do with being brought up Catholic.  Even I have more than a few problems with the definition of "sin" as the Church describes it.  Perhaps I should say it's the emphasis on moral relativity that drives our current attitudes on the value of integrity.

1. Misha profile image63

IDK LDT. I am always or almost always on time. If I am running late, I do my best to let this known to the other party.

But I don't know right from wrong, especially in Judeo-Christian denomination.

I just like being on time. smile

1. Aya Katz profile image84
              Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I'm with you on that one!

2. ledefensetech profile image67

Heh, that's why I added that bit about moral relativism.  Aya's example is pretty much talks about that phenomenon.  However wrongly religious texts are interpreted by the faithful, the foundation of religion is about morality.  De-emphasizing religion has done wonders in breaking down inhumane practices, but has also allowed inhumane practices to flourish.  In addition to the minor stuff that wears at the fabric of society until only a semblance of civilization is left.

2. Aya Katz profile image84
            Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ledefensetech, okay, now I think we may be getting to the bottom of our different take on things. When you were talking about how people have "free will" to violate "natural law", you sounded as if it were a religious issue. People have free will to violates "God's law" precisely because it is not natural. They don't have free will to violate gravity.

4. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Public Education?  Dr. Spock?  There's plenty of reasons that we don't hold people to their word anymore.  It has to do with us.  Because we see someone else get away with being dishonest we tend to think that the same holds true for the rest of us.  If we don't hold people responsible for being honest, we can't be held responsible for being dishonest.

5. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Honor is important in a society where there are grave consequences for dishonorable behavior. If there are no consequences, the dishonorable thrive.

That's why turning the other cheek and practicing knee-jerk forgiveness is not the best strategy.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  Where there is no meaningful penalty, the path of least resistance is the one that people take. Culturally there is clearly no penalty for lack of integrity, and religion is ineffectual in imparting even plausible faith-based penalties on any large scale anymore (all of them, I'm not pointing fingers).

Toss in equivocation about "right and wrong" and the abuse of rhetoric (think Plato's Gorgias), and voila, we have a culture of douchebagedness.

Thanks, that was the point I was aiming at.  I have to admit I'm embarrassingly deficient when it comes to the classics.  I'll have to give the Gorgias a read.  Know of any good editions for beginners?

Any of the Penguin editions should be fine, they're usually pretty decent translations.

Great, thanks. 

@MM, as long as it's legible that should be fine.  From what I understand it's a great Greek tradition to read the classics along with some ouzo.  Like the Greeks need a reason for ouzo anyway.  lol

6. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I prefer to look at the good.  I think that integrity is a beneficial quality to have.  There will always be weak people who rely on the strength of others to make them feel complete.  I rely on my own inner strength, and my own understanding to make decisions.  I believe that there is still a lot of integrity out there.  Integrity is silent, whereas, ignorance is loud.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I try to find the good in everything.

I have a story.  The other day my husband was on a forum for unemployed people.  One person made that comment that when he applies for a job, he takes the job posting (description) pastes it to his resume & then turns it white...so when the company scans it & looks for keywords, his resume gets pulled up faster because all the keywords are in the posting & on his resume.  My husband told me about it & said what ever happened to integrity?

7. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

RGraf, I think it has changed a little lately in the US. It's a cultural issue, and the culture is in flux.

Take punctuality, for instance. I once expressed disappointment that someone was late for an appointment. She didn't apologize for being late. Instead, she said: "Why can't you just understand that sometimes I will be late. I'd understand if you were late."

But that's just the problem. If we expect people to be late, we're all going to be late, and the time lag will get longer and longer... There are only twenty-four hours in a day.

It's only when we are willing not to be so understanding that any sort of standard can be maintained.

8. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Perhaps the difference is the way everything is reported these days.  From Youtube, TMZ and the interent as a whole, we see a lot more of everyone from celebrities to politicisns, so the more we see, the more we don't like.

Perhaps it seemed better because we only saw what they wanted us to see?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

The thing is, those without integrity get all the attention. There are a lot more people who do live with integrity, you just don't hear about them very often.

1. bgpappa profile image78
      bgpappaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fair Point UW

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Very cool topic.
    UW -- I think you hit the nail on the head with the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Immorality gets a lot more attention than quietly following the rules and one's conscience.

The thing is, as long as there are human beings, there will be scammers, cheats, liars and thieves. Always have been, always will be. It is as much part of human nature as being kind, loving and altruistic. And always, always seems to attract more attention. Always.

Not saying it's right. It just is.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Shades, did you go trough spiritual transformation? You look like a mirror image of yourself. lol

I went through something, but I was drinking and not sure what it was.  I have this strange smell in my clothes now though.

1. Misha profile image63

I wonder what this smell is about yikes

12. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

"douchebaggedness"?  I always thought it was "douchebaggery".  I was at a party once, and I had one too many vodka-crans. I told a guy he was the poster boy for douchebaggery.  I know it was mean, but this guy had it coming.

Well, perhaps douchebaggery is the activity from which the state of douchebaggedness comes.

And, if the guy had it coming, then perhaps that served as an instance of the penalty of which we were previously pointing out the lack thereof.  You've contributed to the maintenance of goodness in a douchebagifying world.  We all salute you.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh!  Thank you.  I really will remember that.  I conjugate "douchebag" in my spare time. lol

13. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I don't think people break promises or their word on purpose all the time. Favre said he would retire, but its hard when you love something so much and the opportunity (and $) is there. You might think you can stop (or retire from) something, but circumstances change.

There are different cases of dishonesty. Breaking a promise you made to yourself or your fans is one thing, scamming people out of money is another.

14. Mighty Mom profile image78

LDT -- Shadesbreath is a generous guy. I'm sure he'd be happy to lend you his copy, but he spilled beer on it during his recent transformation big_smile.

15. Mighty Mom profile image78

LOL, LDT. So true. Not to mention Metaxa!
    I've heard the Greeks also share their ouzo with their sheep. This helps the sheep to enjoy the Greek classics also.

http://www.downsouthsouthdowns.com/readingsheep.jpg

16. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)