What are some things to like or appreciate about winter?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

What are some things to like or appreciate about winter?

I hate winter but am trying to write a positive hub about it.

2. JT Walters profile image72
    JT Waltersposted 10 years ago

Snuggling up and having a nice warm cup of apple cider.

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

It's a chance to catch up on indoor projects, a chance to get some extra rest, and its a chance to practice a new art or craft skill.  We can plan a trip to a place that never has winter, we can learn a winter sport or enjoy simple walks in winter weather, and we can do winter photography.  Planning for spring gardens, summer projects, and outdoor arts or crafts for enhancing outdoor spaces would pass a good bit of time.  Good luck on your hub!

1. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Victoria, I'm with you all the way on this one.  And like you and many of others here in the Northeast, are sick & tired of winter. This has been a particularly snowy winter with an abnormal amount of frigid days to go along with the snow.

4. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 10 years ago

Consider those facets of winter that you say you hate. Think about them. You likely can spin them into positive aspects and create a well-featured Hub.

Victoria Lynnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I actually did that! thanks! :-)

5. profile image53
    DennyMinnposted 10 years ago

The Winter season allows us enjoy beautiful snow-covered landscape and Inspires our morale.

Actually, I have no morale in the winter. No motivation. Depression . . . . I wish I liked cold and snow. :-(

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

I like to appreciate when it is short or when it is over.

Amen! That's what I appreciate about winter!

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I appreciate the breath-taking visuals of winter. It's so pretty to look at . . . from indoors. But seriously, I really don't mind it as long as it doesn't come in repeated droves like it is now, where we have to shovel several times a season.

I just hate the cold. I'm always miserable and sleepy. :-(

8. Rebecca Furtado profile image61
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 10 years ago

Well it makes people slow down, in the midwest at least. We had two snow days for work last month. It was time for a lot of people to spend some unstructured time with their spouses and kids.

If I slow down, all I want to do is sleep. Sleep until winter is over!

9. Hugh Morrison profile image76
    Hugh Morrisonposted 10 years ago

Long walks across frozen fields, with the red sun low on the horizon.
    Country pubs with open fires as the snow pours down outside.
    Warm cosy sitting rooms, with a cat curled up on your lap.
    Building snowmen and having snowball fights.
    Christmas.
    Red wine, chorizo, stews and all kinds of wintry food.
    The chance to catch up with good books and films.

10. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

Victoria, since you are a northener you may not know this, but if it were not for winter there would not be any apples, peaches, apricots, or many of the other fruit that grows so well in the U.S.
    Yes, we would still have bananas.
    There are always bananas.

A northerner? ha! Actually, I'm a southerner, not deep south, but mid, I guess, in Arkansas, USA.  Yes, I know that stuff about winter, but I still hate it. I do like bananas, though. :-)

11. Amanda108 profile image86
    Amanda108posted 10 years ago

The first snowfall, the holidays that take place during winter, the feeling of being warm inside when it's cold outside (like sitting by a fire or snuggling under blankets while the wind howls around the house), skiing, snowboarding, snowball fights, ice fests, sledding.

I actually wrote a hub about this last year: http://amanda108.hubpages.com/hub/10-Re … ove-Winter

I ended up writing a hub about it, too, but it was a struggle! Give me warm or hot weather any day!

12. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Sitting by the fire snuggling with my sweetie. I love the smell of fireplaces burning throughout my neighborhood.  I love to hear the crackle of the fire.  I love the cold days that are sunny.  I love a brisk walk taking in the brisk air deep into my lungs.  I love hot chocolate.  I love my nice warm pajamas (not sexy at all ..lol).  I love turning on my electric blanket ahead of time and getting into a nice warm bed, especially when my blanket heats up the area at the bottom, so my toes are nice and toasty.  I love giving Eskimo kisses to my grandchildren to warm up their noses and mine. I love big cozy sweaters and extra warm fuzzy socks.  I love the stillness outside on an extremely cold day.  I love getting a couple of snow days off from work, as I live in the deep south and we are not prepared when snow and ice hit and stay on the ground for three days, as it did this year.  So, I loved that time when we could not leave our house for three days ... for a change!

13. paramarora profile image81
    paramaroraposted 10 years ago

Winters are really nice here in New Delhi India. I love mornings of Winters. I visit the garden where bit of fog, nice fragrance of plant, people doing yoga, beautiful green grass gives me fresh thoughts every day to write on different aspects of life.

14. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 10 years ago

The first snow fall always makes my heart sing.  I also love walking in the woods just to listen to the silence and breathe in the chill.  Of course, having a cup of hot chocolate while watching the wintry weather is always wonderful.  The winter holidays are the best!

I wish I appreciated it. I dread it and can't wait until it's over. I hate the cold, so I can't get out and walk, even. Hot chocolate is good!

15. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

First travel becomes a true adventure. We pack for a nights stay somewhere, emergency  gear and off we go so fun! I also love how it brings people together, causes sleep overs, and people checking on each other it just brings people together. Second I love watching out the window and being inside cozy and warm, play hookie from work and watch a movies. Third, this is the time of the years I head out to do Gods work, the homeless so need rescue items. We give out hats, gloves scarves, meals act.

It's also a very dangerous time of year. Cold, ice. I'd rather do God's work in the warm weather. LOL. Nice answer, though!

16. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12106328_f260.jpg

The majestic beauty of this wonderful season.  Winter is a season of stark contrasts.  It is also a no frills season.  Everything is laid bare and raw.  It is a winter of coolness, even iciness. 

It is also an invigorating season.  There is nothing like winter to make one physically, emotionally, and mentally hardy.   The coldness and crispness of winter is such a beauty enhancer.  The cold air does myriad wonders for the face, acting as a natural astringent.  Winter can be the excuse to indulge in more rigorous activities to burn even more calories so one can guiltlessly indulge in more decadent desserts.

It is also a time to retreat into the warmth of home.  There is nothing like being nestled in a warm, sumptuous bed with a rich, hot chocolate drink on a cold winter's night with either a good book or watching a good movie, preferably a scary one.   It is also a time to really catch up on things one wants to do, perhaps to rest up, and/or simply just do nothing for a bit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)