Does anyone here admittedly watch American Idol?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (47 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

If so, I would like to engage in a discussion about this unhealthy addiction of mine.
    I predicted the who the Top 5 would be Seven weeks ago and I'm basking in it, but I'm also concerned for myself.  To understand this type of absurdity must not be healthy at all.

1. desert blondie profile image57
      desert blondieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey, when you're originally from Oklahoma, people don't even think to NOT tell people they're addicted. Especially after Carrie Underwood's win!  So, WATCH AWAY, at least this seems more honest than the other reality shows I hear about, that I don't watch. There have been popular "star search" shows since Arthur Godfrey--anyone out there know who this is?-- had his talent searches. We're all watching the countdown!

DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yay Carrie Underwood!     Ugh.

Yay Taylor Hicks!   Double Ugh.  I mean Ugh Ugh!

Constant Walker, I'm not possitive but I think they might have that out on DVD!

2. Constant Walker profile image59
      Constant Walkerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love to watch the audition shows - the first four or so. They're hilarious! The worse the "singer," the funnier it is. I wish they would sell DVDs of all the terrible auditioners. They'd make a fortune.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm going to get called out for saying this, but the guys at the HubPages office (at least on my floor) are pretty into it... Things sometimes get a little tense over the debates wink

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Where are the offices located?

and do you guys need a DJ on staff to do quality inspections on Entertainment sites?   I love hubbing so much, I wish it could be a career.  Put in a good word and I'll do dances for you live!  The wife's a nurse and will travel. wink

and tell the debaters to check out my hub will ya?

3. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 16 years ago

I got addicted to American Idol Season 5 - didn't miss a single episode.  That was the season with Taylor Hicks, Chris Daughtry, Elliot Yamin, and Katharine McPhee, wasn't it?  I rooted for Taylor and Elliot since the auditions. smile

Tried to do the same last season but I just couldn't find the same "enthusiasm" for the new batch.  The only one I liked was Chris Richardson but then he got voted out.  Stopped watching after that.  And if American Idol Season 6 had been a hub, it would've been flagged for being "overly promotional". tongue

Didn't even try to watch the current season.  I lost that lovin' feelin'.  Hehe. big_smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 16 years ago

I'm done for this year, the last person I really cared about left last night. I don't think I'll be watching it next year, it's become more about a teen popularity contest than a singing contest...

5. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 16 years ago

I don't watch it without admitting it either, though this has more to do with my massive humiliation squick than my superior taste in television. tongue

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  Great response

I don't think the people who DO watch it, would openly admit it anyway.

6. MrMarmalade profile image69
    MrMarmaladeposted 15 years ago

Never watch it.
    Did a couple sessions on Australian Idol. One was good the other bad.
    A young lady won and we have not heard of since.
    I think they realized the young lady was a failure.
    Have never watched since.

7. Astralbex profile image59
    Astralbexposted 15 years ago

Yep I watch, it plus the UK one.

Kelly Clarkson was great, and I'm so pleased Taylor Hicks got to win, I didn't get to see lasts years for some reason. We have the programmes screened in the UK after you get to see it.
    We have lots of shows like this over here and I do catch the beginings fleetingly but once the choosen 12 or whatever are picked for the live shows I never miss them.
    I've not heard of any of the winner since except Kelly Clarkson, as she exported well.

Have you heard of our last years winner Leona Lewis, she was fantastic.

8. Angela Harris profile image68
    Angela Harrisposted 15 years ago

Not American Idol, but I have publicly admitted on Hubpages forums that I am an avid fan of Desperate Housewives. Pretty much the same embarrassment level.

1. desert blondie profile image57
      desert blondieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There you go! I missed the entire first year of Desp.Hou. and then, with all the hoopla about it, wished I knew what all the talk was about. BUT, never wanted to bother that  much. So, I'll take the American Idol, you take the Wisteria Lane ladies. big_smile

9. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 15 years ago

I heard David Cook's rendition of "Always Be My Baby" a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to stop it from playing over and over in my head since then.  Very catchy. smile

Now I'm curious about the other songs David Cook performed on American Idol.  I'm itching to hear them. tongue

10. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

Not sure why anyone would be embarrassed to admit watching American Idol. If I like the competition, I watch it, if I don't I find something else. This year, I happen to like it, namely because of David Archuleta. In my opnion, to be so young and have this much talent is nothing to be ashamed of.

Everyone on this show is following a dream. Much the same as us writers who publish online, right? It takes a lot of courage to do what they do and I admire them for it. As for the people who watch it, these will be the same people who buy their albums so why wouldn't they?

Carrie Underwood has been an awsome success since the show and I am one of her fans. But of course, I like country music, as well as many other forms of music. Just because one person doesn't like her doesn't mean others don't. That is obvious by her album sales, I would think.

Everyone's tastes are different whether it is in music, food, movies, etc., etc. That doesn't mean they have no taste. It just means that their taste is different. There are millions who love to watch Survivor, Big Brother and all sorts of other shows that I had rather be drowned in a toilet bowl than watch LOL. It simply means we like different things.

As for having an addiction to anything on t.v., the closest I come to that would be anything to do with forensics. The rare occassions that I watch much t.v., I am usually watching Investigation Discovery channel where they deal with real cases but I like the CSI's and such as well. Most of my time is spent on the computer working or writing. That is just my favorite thing to do. I don't think that makes anyone who is addicted to any one t.v. show any different, just different tastes.

Bonnie

11. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

it's funny that I started this thread because I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn't even intentional, i just can't care how they'll interpret Broadway songs or Neil Diamond when it has nothing to do with being talented. 

Regarding your post BONNIE, it's just mt opinion but i think you are dead wrong.  There is a difference between good taste and bad taste. 

U WROTE:  Everyone's tastes are different whether it is in music, food, movies, etc., etc. That doesn't mean they have no taste. It just means that their taste is different.

IN FOOD...YES perhaps someone can't control what messages their tongue is giving to their brain but the other ones you mentioned are simply not true.  TASTE is not fictional!

No matter how many cliches we think of to excuse people for bad taste, it's still a cliche. 

If you enjoy Adam Sandler movies fine...but don't try telling me that you don't have bad taste over someone who watches Philip Seymour Hoffman's movies. 

If you like Jeff Foxworthy you 'might be a redneck' but you definitely have bad taste. PERIOD.

Same thing with my beloved Hip-Hop!  It turned to total crap. 

If your telling me you like the BS that passes for music on MTV nowadays as opposed to the mid-90s..you an idiot, I'm sorry. 

KID ROCK?   omg he should be shot in the head in the name of National Intelligence.

TASTE IS NOT FICTIONAL! 

This is exactly why we call things like american Idol a GUILTY PLEASURE. Get It?  We feel a lil' guilty for liking something so stupid.  JUST because i decided that I like it doesn't mean it still isn't stupid.  We just accept that sometimes we like stupid things. 

I consider myself to have GREAT TASTE but I also indulge in alot of stupid culture. 

They can exist seperately.  Just don't take it personal. 

What if you have bad taste in music but great taste in wine or people?  You still have your own dignity about things YOU KNOW ABOUT.

GREAT EXAMPLE:  I love john grisham novels. read every one of them.  but i'm not writing a hub about it because it is not something I'm proud of.  It's like saying yeah I read but nothing that'll make me think to much. 

I'm not trying to hurt feelings, just educate.
    Peace,
    The DJ

12. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

Education is based on facts. What you are saying is that anyone who likes anything that you don't has bad taste and there is a big difference. Again, it is a matter of opinion on what is good and what is bad taste. I don't expect the whole world to share my likes and dislikes. We are all different and that is what makes the world interesting.

Bonnie

Why do I feel you didn't read a word I wrote?

I went out of my way NOT to say that. 

My taste does not just = good.  I like bad things too.  ugh.  Forget it.

Oh well, enjoy bliss!

13. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

If you like Jeff Foxworthy you 'might be a redneck' but you definitely have bad taste. PERIOD.

This is YOUR opinion, not proven fact. I AM from the south, I AM a redneck (and proud of it) and I DO love Jeff Foxworthy. Yet I believe that I have good taste as much as you believe that you do.

To insinuate that you are allowed to have good taste but like what some percieve to be stupid stuff, yet anyone who likes a certain MTV music is an idiot? Show me the proven facts on this educational statement, please. As I said, it is a matter of opinion. I may not like your type of music but that doesn't mean that either one of us have bad taste in music. We just have different OPINIONS.

Bonnie

14. DJ Funktual profile image77

Nope your right!

People who like the Milli Vanilli and Bob Dylan are exactly the same. 

People who watch Wifeswap and Judge Judy are equal to people who watch Jeopardy.

There's no bit of proven fact to dispute an argument like that.

The lowest common denominator is a fictional term too, I guess.  It was never created to generalize the ignorant public.  There's absolutely no proof anywhere that this dumbing down of our country is actually going on.  Yet look at our president.  Oh wait..you prob'ly voted for him too. sorry.

So your saying you watch, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" too.  Wow.

You are a very sweet hubber and I don't think i should continue this subject...
    Enjoy American Idol!   
    Respond if you like because I'm giving you the last word.  I won't be back.
    Hopefully others reading this will see my point more clearly.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wife Swap can be funny, Judge Judy is usually too over the top, but Jeopardy is a great program.  Many intellectual people go on this program and do very well.  I love quiz shows because they encourage people to read, research, and know a great deal about a topic.  Jeopardy is the best!

15. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

DJ,

I'm not sure why you are getting so upset and leaving just because I challenged the fact that your idea of good taste may not be the same as others. You are the one who started the thread, not me. You are quoting some pretty ugly names for those who don't agree with your likes and dislikes and I simply stated that it is YOUR opinion.

According to Wikipedia, taste, in the general sense is the same as preference. Is preference not based on each individuals likes or dislikes?

How would you like it if people called you an idiot because of the music you like? I don't like MTV myself but there may be other readers that do. You stated you weren't trying to hurt anyone's feelings and in the same breath you are name calling.

We are apparently from different areas and we prefer different things. I just don't understand why that has to be a problem. You can walk away from this if you'd like because I simply agree to disagree on this matter. You are the one who started the topic.

Bonnie

16. DJ Funktual profile image77

I'm not bailing on you at all Bonnie I just thought we were splitting hairs and I don't think you addressed any of the points I made.

The only reason I got upset is completely MY fault and I'm hoping you can shed some light on it.  When you say the words 'proud to be a redneck' ~~ I don't think a lot of people from where I'm from understand WHAT this phrase means at all.

Now before i state this I'm putting the disclaimer that I'm not saying this about you specifically...okay. 

To us....'proud to be a redneck' means proud to be ignorant. 
    and it means......proud to be a part of the racist culture of the south.

NYers may be tough, but if there's one thing we FEAR it's 4 good ole boys in a big truck with a Confederate Flag on it.  It symbolizes hatred TO US.  KKK stuff.  People who would NEVER EVER EVER vote for Obama no matter what he ever said or did. 

I'm not sure if you realize this but 15% of America thinks Obama is a Muslim.  Where do YOU think the people who believe this stuff are from?  A place that is proud to be ignorant?

I'm just asking really. 

I'm not sure what it means to you but I'm sure if you shed a little light on it, I'll learn something and we can go forward. 

Honestly, when I look at your avatar and the two of you look so happy, I don't wanna say a bad thing to you without thinking.  I wish I was having this convo with someone I didn't like.  Ya know what I mean?  Maybe it's better this way and my silly ass just doesn't realize it.

Follow up Q about taste..

I think this is a fairer example.

CARRIE UNDERWOOD ~  very gifted.
    BUCKY COVINGTON ~ not so much.

the quality of performer is just BETTER!  There I said it.

I would never laugh at someone who owned Carrie's album but if you can consume (read: BUY) crap that is placed before you like the one-dimensional BUCKY then I'm sorry because you got some listening issues. 

And what could be wrong with that?  the whole show is steeped in, "Vote for me! I'm better than so and so."

I wrote a HUB called The 100 Worst Songs of All-Time and yeah some people got bent about the songs I picked on but it's my most commented on hub.

Then to be fair to those who did prove a lot of points to me about BAD MUSIC
    and so I put out..
    The 100 Worst Songs of All-Time that we secretly love a/k/a Guilty Pleasure Central

Now i hope that doesn't read like spam to you but I think if you see a big list and where I'm coming from there is a 'fine line'~scratch that- 'wide valley' between Rick Springfield and Bruce Springsteen.

The second hub was me being very self-depricating about the stupid songs i can't resist that way people would know that i can take a jab too.   I'm in no way perfect.  IN ANY WAY trust me.  Take a look get back to me about my three Qs

17. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67

First of all, the reason that you don't understand what it means to be proud to be a redneck is because you are stereotyping the word redneck to mean ignorant and racist. Also, the flag is a part of history PERIOD. It doesn't stand for racism. Even many black people down here voiced the same opinion on that. As for the political crap, I don't get involved in those discussions. I feel that is mine (and everyone else's free choice). I am proud to be a redneck because I am simply proud to be from Mississippi. I love the state and if you think that we are all racist, why did Obama win the Mississippi votes? Personally, I have a bi-racial great neice that I am VERY protective of and I could care less what the color of anyone's skin is. If you were actually in the south much you would come to learn that many people have the same views today. Is there still some racism here? Of course there is. Just as there still is in most states, be it in the south, north, west or east. And be it towards black, white, indian or any other race. It is because of people who refuse to see others as equals that cause such stereotyping in the first place.

As for rednecks being ignorant, are you aware of just how many famous authors, singers actors and such have come from Mississippi and other parts of the south? Our culture may be a bit different from yours but it certainly doesn't make anyone ignorant. I am sure if you looked around you, there are plenty of ignorant people pretty much everywhere. I have been to NY and all the other US states before and I can assure you that there are! But I don't think that we can say people are ALL ignorant simply because of the region they are from.

On the issue of taste. The only point I was trying to make is that we all like different things. Where you make a list of 100 worst songs, there will probably be millions of people that would list those same songs on the 100 best. That doesn't mean that their taste are any worse than yours. That is all I was trying to say. I like some of the songs/singers you have mentioned and others I don't. That is just my preference, just as you have your preferences. I just don't understand who exactly sets the standards you present to us that qualify as bad taste, idiots, ignorant and such, that's all.

We disagree. That doesn't mean that we have to dislike each other now. Nobody ever agrees on everything. Heck, if we did, how boring would that be? LOL. Now, I am going to eat so I can get ready for American Idol tonight LMBO. No hard feelings on this end, Dj.

Bonnie

18. DJ Funktual profile image77

none here either. 

there's good and bad everywhere.  I really loved the movie Shut Up & Sing about The Dixie Chicks and it certainly showed both sides of that whole can of worms FROM THE SOUTHERN PERSPECTIVE. 

I'm a big time traveler and I love the fact that I got my copy of The Call of the Wild in BATESVILLE, and we stopped at Jackson on the way to the Big Easy.  Good ole' Interstate 55!   

Agree to disagree is as good as we're gonna get.  I thought everybody hated the music of today.  Except the kids who don't know any better.

19. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Well you know me DJ  I do hate the music of today.  Except of course U2, Moody Blues, Cold Play, and bands like those.  I literally stopped watching MTV and VH1 in 1989 because it stopped playing fun eighties songs, so after that I listened to the Moody Blues tapes my mom had all the time.  Mostly I love anything between the 60's-80's.

20. Susan Ng profile image83

Who decides what music, artists, and TV shows we should listen to and watch in order to qualify as having "good taste"? hmm

THE DJs do.

This argument cracks me up.

So by this logic, if I was a DJ somewhere and the people didn't like what I was playing, I could reply..."Well you're taste is no better than mine, so you just have to listen to what I say."

LOL !  It doesn't work like this kids.  DJs with BAD taste get replaced!  DJs with good taste don't.  EVERY SONG YOU EVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE CAME TO YOU BECAUSE A DJ somewhere thought it was worth listening to!  (IN A GENERAL SENSE)

What the big deal?  DJs are the shepherds and the public are the sheep.
      With Movies the critics are the shepherds.  With religion it's a pastor.  With Republicans it's Bill O'Reilly or Karl Rove. 

I thought it was obvious.  But like I said, just being the DJ doesn't mean your any good. 
      Good DJs pick the perfect mood for the perfect occasion, whatever it happens to be.

If the people like Grateful Dead...you don't play their only commercial hit "Touch of Grey" because they'll roll their eyes and think..you don't know about the dead so don't even try.

You play Scarlet Begonias or Sugar Magnolia.  I don't know WHY I know what's a better song than others but I do.   

Your Playing a crowd that loves Billy Joel, are you gonna play the beautiful music he made on the piano OR are you an idiot who would play WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE, or UPTOWN GIRL which are both HORRIBLE SONGS and ya know what? 

Billy would tell you that himself that they are horrible.

Do you think he hides under a rock with an inferiority complex cause he wrote a bad song. 
      He once said, he was sort of embarassed when WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE was nominated for a grammy.

So he said to himself.....if I can't write that good anymore, I'll just stop making albums.  He accepted his own limitations as a songwriter.  When he recently toured with Elton John, he was quoting the story between the two that went like this.

ELTON: Billy how come you don't make any albums anymore?
      BILLY: Because I have heard your last few albums.
      BOTH LAUGH HYSTERICAL!

For all I know, you think WE DIDN'T START THE FIRE is absolute genius.
      If so...YOU HAVE BAD TASTE sorry.  Don't believe me? Ask Billy.

Okay I'm ready for your "everyone's entitled to their own opinion" speech but make sure you add having an opinion doesn't mean it's any good. Proof: Paula Abdul.

1. Susan Ng profile image83
        Susan Ngposted 15 years agoin reply to this

DJ's with bad taste get replaced because the PEOPLE don't like what he's playing? big_smile  So it's the people who decide after all? big_smile

DJ Funktual, my sister is a radio station manager (she used to be DJ/newscaster in the same station), and she only puts in their master playlist songs that their target audience wants to listen to.  The musical tastes of a 50-year old and a teenager may differ because they have totally different experiences in life and they see the world differently from their perspective.

I like music that I can relate to.  When the lyrics "connect", I can listen to it over and over again and not get tired of it.  I like to listen to fun songs without much meaning, too, but I usually get sick of the song after a while.

That's how I define "good" music.  Music is good when it speaks to your soul.  And our souls have different languages. smile

21. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Susan I think everyone has their own opinion of what is good and bad.  Honestly, I do not think anyone has a monopoly on good taste, etc.  However, I can see what DJ is talking about and I do think he has a great deal of knowledge about music because of his profession.  I enjoy DJ's opinions because he is so knowledgable, but that does not necessarily mean I would like every song he recommends smile.

22. DJ Funktual profile image77

I'm gonna write a hub about this good taste vs. bad taste nonsense!

23. profile image57
    shoes luvrposted 15 years ago

I actually have watched Idol this season, but it may be my last.
    Can't understand how that dreadlocks Jason kid made it as far as he
    did. I understand there's a group on the internet organized enough to
    try and sabotage the voting results. That is how Sanjaya made it so
    far last season. It seem to be turning into more of a popularity contest
    than a talent contest!

24. myworld2u profile image38
    myworld2uposted 15 years ago

I admittedly watch American Idol !
    Whats so bad about that and I am not even in America !
    I am referring to the current season 7 which I predict DC will win. If you dont know this initial then you are not watching and I am not telling.
    But anything can happen. There are quite a few dramas and shockers in the show already.
    What will I do after AI7 waiting foir AI8. Thats quite a few months of break there.
    Watch "So you think you can dance ?" Nahhh not me "I dont dance"

25. Susan Ng profile image83

What's your definition of good music? smile

26. DJ Funktual profile image77

I don't really have a definition for you, I'm better at giving examples of each.

Careful with your lyrics theory though because "Helter Skelter" spoke to Charlie Manson's soul and look what happened?

Okay. smile 

I'm curious, who would you consider as your target audience?  Which age group, social status, economic status, or race/ethnicity is your music for? smile

MY TARGET AUDIENCE:  Funktual People!
        My theory is that music wouldn't be the sh!tty mess that it is if two things happened.

# 1  ~  The Funky People Need to be More Intellectual in their approach.
        # 2  ~  The intellectuals need to be much less rigid and more funky.

Funky Intellectual = Funktual

What is funky?  Someone who can be silly and stylin at the time.  Goofiness is more than okay in the funk world. (See Rick James, P-Funk,etc.)

Hip-Hop has lost all funkiness because everybody wants to be a gangsta.  EVERYBODY.

Songs like 'The Humpty Dance' & 'Da Butt' could never even get a chance in todays market.

The women are all treated like whores in Hip-Hop these days as well. 

THUS A MORE INTELLECTUAL APPROACH IS CALLED FOR.

Intellectuals have such a high (or low) opinion of themselves that they never do anything fun.  They don't dance because they know they dance badly.  Well guess what?  That is the beauty of funk!  Your supposed to look silly and funky and groovy.  It means your enjoying yourself to the point of letting go of your inner-critic.  Losing it because you got to.
        Rockers call this getting the Led out.

WHO IS MY TARGET AUDIENCE?

~~~  people with an open mind who are sick of the same old crap that the mass media keeps feeding them.  PEOPLE WHO CRAVE SOMETHING THEY HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED BEFORE. 

luckily for me, the audience is a little more hip/funky at youtube than it is at hubpages. 

Hip-Hop Samples Vol. 1 has 1,124 views and it was only posted on 4/16/08.  Just a month.
        Try getting that many hubbers to care about a subject as obscure but important as Sampling.

1. rmr profile image69
          rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. What's with all the gangsta crap? Rap was good in the beginning, now it's all pretty much the same.
          I may not be funktual, but I have my funktual moments. I put on my ipod, and dance (badly) at work, nail gun in hand, and I don't care who's watching. By the way, DJ, Two of the hubs you asked for are still awaiting your approval...or not.

Huh? where?  I've been out of the loop since my computer crashed.

2. Susan Ng profile image83

I don't know who Charlie Manson is or what happened to him, but I agree that we have to be careful what music we listen to especially when we're young and still emotionally disturbed.  But music as an avenue for emotional release is a form of therapy.  Some people paint, eat, etc. to release negative energy; others listen to music.

When I was a troubled teen in high school, I listened to music with lyrics such as, "The world doesn't care." and "I hate everybody." because that was how I felt at that time.  I couldn't talk to anyone about how I felt and it was kept bottled inside me.  When I screamed out the lyrics to those rock songs (what you would call "whining" songs tongue), it released some of the negative energy that was inside me.  Rock music is how I survived those turbulent years.

So lyrics that connect can also be a great form of therapy. smile

I'll answer this one first.   I should have realized that the whining punk DIDN'T suck after all.  It was just made for girls.  I should have known.  Everything serves a function.  Glad it helped you.

I think you should probably look up Charlie Manson because you sound very very young by NOT KNOWING about the most famous cult murderer in US history.

I'm from the Philippines, DJ Funktual.  We don't study American history here. big_smile

27. Susan Ng profile image83

But I have digressed from the topic, haven't I? tongue  I hear American Idol is now nearing the finals.  Is David Cook still there?  I might watch the final show if David Cook is one of the finalists.  When is it? big_smile

Final is next week between the Legit D. Cook and the Mormon-Puppet Archuleta!

I hope David Cook makes an album soon.  If it sounds anything like his performances tonight (the final show), I'm definitely going to buy it. tongue

Mmm.  Enjoy that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)