What do you do when you feel like you just can't keep going?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

What do you do when you feel like you just can't keep going?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 9 years ago

I feel that way sometimes. I remind myself that things will get better, and I focus on something tangible that I know is coming up or something that is going to change, even if it's a small thing. I also talk to someone I trust and who can encourage me, like my mom. I've been trying to give myself some positive self-talk, but I haven't quite succeeded at that. But I keep plugging away!

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know you at all, but I feel very proud of you. We have to refill that gas tank somehow. That is the secret, cause tomorrow's coming and sometimes we just don't have enough gas to get there.

Victoria Lynnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Sed-me. I appreciate what you said. Makes me feel good! We have to do what we can to refill, that's for sure.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Eat  a bag of chocolate and then take a nap.

I forgot I have chocolate in the freezer. Thanks for the reminder.

That's a great idea. :-)

4. Snøwman profile image57
    Snøwmanposted 9 years ago

When life gets hard, slow down and focus on the essentials. What are the things that you need physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually. You can see this in trees. When times get tough they don't grow as fast and they spend more of their energy on survival. You can see evidence of this in the growth rings in the trunk. All of us should follow this example.

Good idea. smile

5. profile image0
    Shivani Galaposted 9 years ago

It really depends on which part of my life I feel this- professional, family, friends, studies. What I do can vary but mostly I do one of the following:

* Switch of my gadgets, read a feel good book
    * Watch a movie alone in a theatre, then treat myself to good food!
    * Definitely what LindaSmith1 suggested!!! I may replace chocolate at times with any sort of dessert.
    * Talk to my loved ones, who are non-judgemental, hear me patiently and then say, 'forget all this let's go shopping.'
    * Listen to spiritual music or discourses that sooth my being.
    * Simply sit and try to meditate, even one moment of pure awareness can bring amazing results in your outlook.

Keen to know what do you do when you feel like that?

Those are all very positive answers. Im glad you've found something that helps. Do you feel at this point in your life you've met despair? The kind of hopelessness and pain that doesn't promise any kind of future that makes you want to wake up again?

2. profile image0
      Shivani Galaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not really. I feel rather content with my life in most aspects. Guess having seen the hopeless and dull phase in the past, I know nothing is permanent. Everything will change and am going working towards being OK with both despair and content.

6. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 9 years ago

I pray.  I call my friends.  I call my mom.  I surround myself with people who love me and are happy that I am around.  I do a little shopping, eat some indulgent foods and have a cry.  Things are always better the next day.

I think you're right. I wish ppl who were tempted to commit suicide knew that one thing... that things almost always look better the next day.

7. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

keep going anyway.  In life this happens at times to many of us.  You can give up or fight.  I take a day and rest up, work to regain my perspective by focusing on the amazing things I do have in my life. The next day, I pick up and carry on with new determination.  Life is all about choices.  Be kind to yourself, but do what you need to do.

A lot of determination. Life takes that.

Great answer, ChristinS!

8. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

I watch something ridiculous on YouTube. Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMIjjRfZSE

9. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Me, I take a deep breath and go some more! I make myself follow lists and I am the personality type who doesn't like unfinished lists. Like last night at work, I have a cold, din't feel so great, but I stayed. I had a lot f things I wanted to do today before bed today, but really didn't feel like it. So I made the list I won't stop until all is done. I'm almost done now, actually the list really makes it go faster and keeps me on track.

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11700263_f260.jpg

When I am down,I sometimes think of the Barry Manilow song, "I Write The Songs" and then start to get busy. Of all the songs I have written, the ones I have written during times of sadness, or utter despair appear to be the best, or at least my favorites. The first song that I ever wrote , that I knew was on par with some of the greatest pop songs ever written, was a song I wrote after the death of my Shawnee mother. My experience reveals that happiness is a dangerous drug that commonly leads to mediocrity, and promotes slothfulness. My advice to young songwriters: Don't be a sloth, for he is an ugly creature. Stop smiling, get busy, and realize your dream!

11. liesl5858 profile image85
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

Take a rest, or take a walk and breath some fresh air on the promenade. Look at the beautiful scenery, the sea and the beautiful country side. It helps me breathe sometimes. Luckily, we live near the sea and it is always nice to have a walk by the cliff tops and admire the vast ocean or the land.

I understand how you feel, I have been there before when the more I struggle the harder it gets but if you think of something positive you will get through this. Life is hard, along the way there are hazards we have to pass. I hope you get through it. If you have too much responsibility, try and delegate some to your family.

12. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Some of us are gonna get knocked down and dragged around by life. Maybe for a short time, maybe for years. Some of us will experience short spurts we have to endure, some will face Job like trials that make us wish we were never born. I would imagine that most of us born in first world countries cannot imagine the horrors many in third world countries, but of course, when our hearts are broken, they must be mended.

On my best days, I know to dwell on the word of God and spend a lot of time on my knees in prayer. On my less lucid days, I can only muster a cry to my God for His hand to move on my behalf. Either way, my only hope is in the Lord. Whether my wounds are self inflicted, others inflicted, or from the very pit of hell, I have found this to be true, that God's mercies are new every morning. The problems don't always go away the next day, but when the sun rises, the darkness flees. This is my hope.

Thank you all SO much for contributing. I loved reading your answers.

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Thanks for asking. And for giving your input, too. Maybe we should all write a hub/article about this, in an effort to help others. Thanks again!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)