If you were wrong, would you admit it?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image80
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

If you were wrong, would you admit it?

In discussions on HP or in life if you wish - if you were wrong, particularly in a discussion where you and another normally disagree. Would you admit it and apologise or go on with the facade? If you were the person apologised to - would you lord it over them or merely acknowledge and leave it? Remember this is if it was with someone with whom you generally disagree quite vehemently

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 9 years ago

If someone came up with an explanation that would blast my ideas and beliefs out of the water, I'd admit I was wrong. The only thing I'd have to apologize for is if I said nasty things to that person during conversations. There's no reason to apologize for simply being wrong. If the other person came to me and apologized and told me they were wrong, I accept that apology and let it go at that.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My answer exactly!

2. jlpark profile image80
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And if a simple piece of research could prove you wrong? Rather than a 'blast my ideas out of the water'?
      I find it interesting that an apology isn't ness but then go on to say you accept one for the same reason. Just commenting, not judging.

3. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Yes, I would. I think it takes courage to admit that you were wrong, especially if it's to someone who you have disagreements with on a regular basis. I think being able to admit your own faults is a really good quality, so if someone apologized to me I would actually think quite a bit more of them than I did before (and also why I do my best to do it myself).

I think that when it comes to a lot of the debates on here, there isn't a universal right or wrong, and I don't think that anyone should apologize for their beliefs. But they can certainly admit they were wrong for the way they expressed them if they were out of line or hurt someone's feelings. Debate should be about sharing ideas and having discussions, not making people feel bad. So if I overstep the line, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong for doing so.

Thanks for your answer. By apology I meant 'I was wrong, my apologies' type thing but this interpretation has garnered more thought so I'm happy!

4. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Yes. How else does one progress in life?

True true. However, not everyone seems to think as you do when actually in conversation!

5. Link10103 profile image61
    Link10103posted 9 years ago

If someone can actually point out/show me how I am wrong, rather than just tell me I am wrong without even trying to prove it, I wouldnt have much of a choice to admit it. Its not like it is a hurtful blow to my pride to do so anyway, since I dont usually claim I am 100% right about anything unless I literally just did some research beforehand.

I just about always embrace the possibility that I am wrong whenever discussing something.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a mark of maturity to recognize and accept that you don't know every answer. This is how reasonable people think. Religious fundamentalists "answer" every difficult answer with unprovable claims. This way, they think they are never proven wrong.

2. jlpark profile image80

Thats true Link. But if you realised you were, even with certain hubbers, would you admit to it, or wait till they proved it..?

3. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I probably wouldnt realize I was wrong, since I dont normally take a positive or negative stance on something Im not even sure of.
      I would like to think that I would though.

4. jlpark profile image80

thats probably true for a lot of us I feel. thanks for sharing

6. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Absolutely!

I've done this countless times. I still have an ego, but I don't let it reign over me.

Ego is the enemy, but we can't resist it to get rid of it. We have to grow it and correct it as it grows. That's my current understanding and it makes a lot of sense. I've learned this from authentic Kabbalah (not the New Age, Madonna, Hollywood junk), the same people who wrote the Bible in code over 2000 years ago.

Finding out that I'm wrong is part of learning. I welcome it.

When I took creative writing in college, many years ago, I welcomed the criticism of other students, realizing that I was there to learn and that everything they said was more opportunity to accomplish that goal.

I have studied and excelled at the sciences. I have a bachelors degree in computer information technology summa cum laude. I've been a software engineer, learning over 20 programming languages. And I've been a Hollywood artist with screen credit.

I have also experienced dozens of miracles and now understand the mechanics of creation. If I had never admitted I was wrong, I never would have been able to move beyond my earlier limited understanding to greater knowledge.

Life is too much fun to live in a security blanket.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)