Has your city, town or state had an Ebola scare?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Has your city, town or state had an Ebola scare?

Yesterday, in the city in which I work, there was an Ebola scare and not sure if they have determined it is the real thing or malaria or something else.  In another city, there was another scare the other day.  Do you think there are going to be a lot of "scares" as opposed to the real deal?  From my understanding, in order to contract the Ebola virus, one must come into contact with a person who recently traveled to the countries that have an outbreak.  The woman just walked into an eye center with a shawl around here.  She did not get back to the eye examining room.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11905883_f260.jpg

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years ago

Ohio is already being visited by the CDC Detectives Division right now.

In the capital of Columbus, a woman called 911 this week, lying to say she had just returned from West Africa and exposure to Ebola. She wanted faster EMT service, but will likely be charged with a crime or three.

Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Patty, Oh, me, that is certainly not good.  Yes, she should be charged!!!  I am afraid due to people's ignorance on this, there is going to be a lot of "scares" ... or just flat-out doing wrong such as did this woman.  Thank you for answering.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The law is dealing with her right now. Sat., Gov Kasich & OH Dept. of Health wrote tighter protocols for handling Ebola from limiting/monitoring ppl ingress to OH from W Afr, to treatment & containment. 0 cases & some ppl are monitored da

3. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thank you so much, Patty, for the added information and insight. Appreciate you!  I am glad the law is dealing with her right now.

3. quildon profile image72
    quildonposted 9 years ago

I heard of one person being screened at a hospital in Miami, not far from where I work, but it appears it was just a rumor. Some people make fun of something as serious as this, so that when someone really needs help they may not get it. I hope and pray we don't have a serious outbreak here in the US.

Hi quildon,  I know, that is what I am afraid of, and surely people should realize what harm they are causing by the careless and dumb actions relating to something so serious.  Yes, praying!!!  Thank you for answering.

4. ChristinS profile image37
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I think there is panic and a lot of media sensationalism.  Despite being contagious, Ebola is extremely difficult to catch.  You have to be in direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected individual.  It doesn't spread easily like a cold or flu, so I think most of these "scares" are going to turn out to be precisely that - scares. smile.  It has been speculated and reported that the two nurses who contracted it in Texas did not have proper safety gear initially when treating their patient.  They likely did not have just a brief contact, but repeated contact with this person which increased their odds of infection.  I think there is a lot of panic, and everyone is going to think everyone potentially has Ebola.

Hi ChristinS, you summed it up perfectly that there is just a lot of panic when there does not have to be unless one has just traveled from such a country to possibly be infected.  Great insight you have shared.  Thank you so much!

5. tobusiness profile image80
    tobusinessposted 9 years ago

So far, touch wood, we're alright. I believe there was one case in the UK, now recovered. Let's hope the virus is slowing down.  Apparently, malaria kills far more people in Africa than Ebola, and the condition is preventable.

Hi Jo (tobusiness), I am so glad and, yes, let's hope it is truly slowing down.  That is what they were saying at the news conference in my city about them testing for malaria and other things to rule them out.  That is sad, when it is preventable.

6. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 9 years ago

Good question, Faith.  There is too much media over-dramatization here.  We’re more concerned with the potential spread in African countries.  This in turn places other countries at higher risk, such as the US.  In WA, the lack of proper sanitation, their desperate need for trained healthcare personnel ,PPE, beds, etc. is growing, which only causes it to spread more quickly.  A general lack of education in terms of how this virus is contracted is adding to the epidemic.  This problem will be compounded with a spread to neighboring countries.  I think the world needs to get more involved and provide assistance in terms of financial aid and supplies to those areas.

1. qeyler profile image62
      qeylerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In Jamaica we've been having the Chikungunya epidemic.  As the Gov. can't do a think about this virus, (it's like Dengue) we know that if Ebola comes here, we are all going to die.  If you haven't guessed, there is no real health care here.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thanks, Genna.  Yes, for sure, too much media and over-dramatization are the perfect words to describe it here.  Yes, a lack of education so as to not spread panic when there is no reason to panic.  Yes, that is how we can help, exactly! Great answer

7. kj force profile image60
    kj forceposted 9 years ago

Great question Faith Reaper..There have been no reports as yet in our state...
    Ebola can feel like the flu or other illnesses. Symptoms show up 2 to 21 days after infection and usually include: High fever ,headache
    joint and muscle aches, sore throat, weakness,stomach pain and lack of appetite. As the disease gets worse, it causes bleeding inside the body, as well as from the eyes, ears, and nose.  Some people will vomit or cough up blood, have bloody diarrhea, and get a rash. The first reported case of Ebola was in 1976, and got the name from the village ( where it started ) near the Ebola River. It can only be " contracted " by direct contact with the bodily fluids of the person with the virus, so states the CDC...Problem being with the symptoms appearing 2-21 days after infection, the virus goes undetected, so many may fall prey before any symptoms start. That's the Scary part !!
    Keeping your immune system strong, hygiene a priority and taking responsibility for your health and loved ones is probably the only preventative method.
    However, there will probably be many " scares and false alarms " before this virus is ever contained . Hopefully this does not become the " black plague " of yesterday....Keep safe everyone.
    Look forward to reading other comments...

Hi kj force, so nice to see you here.  I have missed you around! Yes, it is all so scary, but we need to be mindful how it is contracted before panicking.  Hopefully ... not the next "black plague"!!! For sure, keep safe all.

8. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 9 years ago

We all know that panic has never helped any situation no matter how scary it may be.  If we really stop and think about it, global travel by various means made us vulnerable a long time ago and it was only a matter of time before ebola came our way. 
    Though settlers were blamed for bringing disease to this land, people who were already here had their own disease to share with the rest of the world.  In other words, no group of people are without diseases.
    When some health care agencies and workers in the field routinely ignore the realities of contagions no amount of preparedness or education is going to help protect people.

Hi RTalloni,

Exactly!!! Wow, thank you for the great answer here, which is so on point no doubt.  You have stated pertinent points for all to consider about all these panic scenarios, to create a lot of media hype.  Thank you again!

9. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Hah! I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, and know two people who work at Presby, where the two nurses got sick. And you know what? I'm more worried about all the misinformation being spread in the line at Walmart than I am about Ebola spreading.

All the media hype is ridiculous. Where is all the frenzy about enterovirus, which as killed 7 people since August? Or the flu, which kills hundreds of people every year?

Hi lisavollrath, Yes, that is exactly my point ... the misinformation that is being spread to cause panic when doing such does not in way help matters, but actually makes things worse.  Thank you for your answer, which I do agree with for sure.

10. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

It is only spread through body fluids so I don't think you had anything to worry about.  Ebola is spread through direct contact with contaminated body fluids such as blood, vomit, saliva and faeces. The virus can enter the body via infected droplets through broken skin or mucous membranes such as the eyes, the lining of the nose or the mouth.

Hi Sallybea,  Oh, yes, I understand how it is spread, and my concern is with all the media causing panic with these "scares" when there has not been any reason the person(s) would have Ebola.  Thank you for answering. Have a great Sunday!

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I should have added a couple The fluids that can transfer the virus include blood, saliva, feces, urine, semen, mucus, vomit, sweat, tears and breast milk. The most common entry points on the body are through the mouth, nose, eyes or an open cut or w

3. Faith Reaper profile image84

Thank you so much, Sally, for the added insight as to how fluids can transfer the virus.  I appreciate you.  Blessings

11. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Hi dear friend:  So far so good in Upstate New York!  That being said, I know there are about eight hospitals in our state prepared and ready in the event Ebola raises it ugly head in our area.  I think two of the hospitals are in New York City - four hours from where I live.

Even though I consider myself somewhat of a germ freak (phobic) I refuse to worry about this.  However, as serious as this issue is, I don't think people -including myself -should be foolish either.

For example, I think common sense is very important:
    WASH YOUR HANDS several times a day especially in public.  Be aware of everything you touch, especially shopping cart handles,(many stores have sanitizer wipes when you enter the building) 

Wash your hands after you handle money. 

Carry hand sanitizer with you.   

If you eat out, definitely wash up after and be careful of the salt and pepper shakers!
      I have seen people eating French fries, licking the ketchup off their fingers then grabbing the salt shaker.  Right there is bodily fluid contact if another person grabs the salt shaker.   
    If you are at a party with chips and dips, beware of double dipping...stuff like that. 

I think it is important to live our lives but to be vigilant at the same time.
    My husband and I are going to Myrtle Beach soon -who knows what will be going on with the Ebola issue then? 

To answer your question, yes, I think there will be a lot of scares, for we have no idea what is around us.  Especially those who are employed, using the rest rooms, break rooms, vending machines AND the telephones.
    Above all, I personally believe that trusting in God is so very important during times like this. 
    This is a great question, God bless, I WILL email you soon, when I have a block of time.   Sparklea smile PS: I agree with KJ force that it is important to keep your immune system strong and to especially get a lot of sleep.  I strongly believe in Vitamin C too.  I take it every day.  smile

Hi Dear Sparklea, oh, I, too, am such a germ freak too and wash my hands countless times during the day and take other precautions as you have stated here. Great points to keep ourselves rested and our immune system strong. God bless you and yours...

12. cebutouristspot profile image79
    cebutouristspotposted 9 years ago

All we have is a bunch of media blowing things out of proportion.  Other than that no Ebola scare here.

We do have a chicken pox alert here now

Hello cebutouristspot, yes, the media is blowing everything way out of proportion it seems.  We all must truly understand the manner in which Ebola is contracted, before we fly off in panic without any evidence of anyone being in contact with such!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)