What are some of your saddest movies or scenes in a movie?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

What are some of your saddest movies or scenes in a movie?

Warning contains spoilers.

Any movie where Jesus gets crucified

When Anty the ant gets killed in Honey I shrunk the kids

When ET died

When Professor Snape gets killed

When Aslan gets killed in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

When Peterson gets killed in the Green Berets and his adopted son (I think his name is Ham Chuck) is looking for him

When Willie finally gets free in Free Willie-this is not really sad but this scene always gets me

2. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 9 years ago

Lois, I am a movie goer-  One of the 4 things I love to do...the other three  being writing, reading numerous books and sitting in the Barnes & Noble CafĂ© at the Towne Square Mall for about 6 hours straight, working on my book.
    I will just name a few movies off the top of my head and promise to leave out spoilers:
    Just saw the movie Fury recently with Brad Pitt...it was riveting, tragic and very emotional.  I WEPT and WEPT. SAD.
    The Fault In Our Stars: I read the book and saw the movie the next day...I SOBBED through that one. VERY SAD.
    I have not seen the movie Unbroken, but I weep through the previews.  I am going to see it this week.
    I had many weeping moments with the Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit Trilogy...tears running down my face. Very sad emotional scenes.
    Titanic:  Of course I wept toward the end when Kate Winslet lost Leonardo DiCaprio in the water. 
    These are just a few that come to mind, but I am a very emotional person and I know there are many, many more movies I have seen that wipe me out.  I have seen all the movies you mention above which were SO, SO sad!
    PS: I cry reading books too.  I love it when people break up and get back together in movies...I am always rooting for that.  If I think of any more, I will probably try to add a note...but I don't think the hubs will let me.  What a great question!  Blessings, a late Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!
    PS: August Osage County...I felt to be very sad because the family was so dysfunctional and filled with emotion.  The acting was superb.

1. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're very expressive, Sparklea, and your style flows easily. You're probably easy to get on with, too. I note that you are writing a book, but that's partly it. Your strength lies in your character, I'd say. Sorry. Not checking on you. Much peace.

2. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

manatita44 your comments are so kind, and thank you from my heart.  My favorite number in the whole world is 44!  God bless, glad to see 44 in your user name  Sparklea smile

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
      LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Spark I probably see you at B & N when I go there and not realize it.  I commute to Corning to work so I don't get a chance to get out much.  My daughter's boyfriend works at the bakery at Sams

3. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 9 years ago

When the boy played by Haley Joel Osment in the movie 'Pay It Forward' dies. It also gets me when the crowd shows up at his house that night. That whole movie gets to me.

Never saw that but it reminds me of the movie Simon Birch another tear-jerker

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I think one of the most profound was the little girl in the red coat in Schindler's list - that whole movie was gut wrenching, but that scene in particular with the contrast of the red coat against the black and white film still lingers with me to this day and I watched that movie 20 years ago.

I never saw Schindler's List but should add that to my list.

5. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

Crouching Tiger, Sleeping Dragon ended in a very sad way. It was a most beautiful film. Gladiator was incredibly moving at the end. Spartacus, also.

Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren in El Cid .. that's all for now. Happy New Year!

1. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I saw Gladiator and Spartacus...the endings did me in.

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Sparklea.
      They were extremely touching. Some Chinese movies, especially the episodes on the computer, are very much like this. Even better, perhaps! Lots to do, I know. Peace.

6. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

The thing that has extracted the most tears from me, BAR NONE, is the second half of Clannad ~After Story~. I have seen so many movies, so many TV shows, read so many books, and played so many video games, but NONE OF THEM have even come close to generating as much raw emotion as Clannad ~After Story~ has. Not even close. Old Yeller? Schindler's List? The opening of Up? Toy Story 3? Bridge to Terabithia? Grave of the Fireflies? Great movies, to be sure, but...there's no comparison. It's not even close. It's like comparing your house to the Burj Khalifa, it's that big a gap.

7. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years ago

Well it is an old one but the saddest for me was Splendor in the Grass. I can almost cry at lots but that one pulled the tears from my eyes; I had no control over them.

8. aesta1 profile image89
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

What really brought me to tears watching a movie was Kramer vs. Kramer with Ted (Dustin Hoffman) and Joanna (Merryl Streep). Joanna left Ted with Billy to find herself only to come back and claim custody which the court awarded her, being the Mother. The scene of Ted and Billy at their last breakfast, the same one he cooked on their first morning of being just the two of them, just broke me.

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 9 years ago

Another movie is The Champ with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper-1939.  Never did see the remake from the 1980s.

10. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

When Marley (the dog) dies in Marley and Me.  The ending in All Dogs Go To Heaven.  The killing of Aslan in the Liaon The Witch and The Wardrobe.  When the Gorilla's all get killed by poachers because the coutries leader needs the money (not Jane Goodall, but another movies I cannot think of the name of it right now). The Boy In The Striped Pajamas.  That is just what I can think of from the top of my head.

11. victoria1800 profile image72
    victoria1800posted 9 years ago

The movie that made me cry was Green Mile when John Coffee was executed for a crime he didn't commit, such a sad storyline. 

Another film that I found very emotional was Warrior with Tom Hardy. The scene where the Son is hugging his Dad who is reliving his time in the war was extremely sad. As was the ending of the film when the two brothers are fighting in a tournament and end up in tears and hugging.

12. profile image0
    Miran Shuletaposted 9 years ago

Toy Story 3, when Andy gives his toys away

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)