If a woman offers to pay half or all on a "first date" when the man asked her ou

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

If a woman offers to pay half or all on a "first date" when the man asked her out is it a sign?

Does it (usually) mean she has no "romantic interest" in him? Are there any ladies who have ever offered to pay half or all for a "first date" because you wanted to remove the "dating aspect" from the equation?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12217753_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 9 years ago

If a woman offers to pay for half, that would throw up some red flags, but I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

Now, if the woman offers to pay for all, I would actually think that she REALLY likes me!

dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Too funny! I guess you won't know if she REALLY likes you until she agrees to go out on a "second date". smile

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm so curious to know why a woman paying half sends up red flags? smile It's so interesting because I just don't think that way I guess. Perhaps I'm strange...

3. dashingscorpio profile image78

Christin S, it's probably related to your other comment: Her paying half is her way of "Keeping a bit of distance." smile
      Men view distance as a chilly reception or she doesn't feel relaxed,  maybe not "into him" from a romantic standpoint.

4. realtalk247 profile image76
      realtalk247posted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL.
      dashingscorpio that's so true

5. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christin, I am from the South, so it is not common here for the woman to offer to pay. Some even stay in the car until the man opens the door for them. We spoil our ladies!

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

My perspective on this is that she may just be showing some independence.  When I started dating again after my divorce I was all about "going dutch" on dates, not because I didn't like the person, but because I wasn't really ready for anything serious and also I didn't want to send the message that I was needing a man to take care of me etc.  I have no problem being an equal partner.  Of course when I met my current husband, that was one of the things he liked about me the most - the fact that I didn't just expect him to pay for everything (even though he was perfectly willing to do that).

Being it's only a "first date" it's interesting you would say: "I wasn't really ready for anything (serious) and also I didn't want to send the message that I was needing a man to take care of me." Is allowing a man to pay for a 1st date serious?

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes men who pay for everything might expect "everything" a little too soon. Keeping a bit of distance means getting to know someone without expectations - doesn't mean "no interest" though, but pacing oneself maybe a better way to put it?

Hopefully any man who asks a woman out on a first date shouldn't "expect" everything but there is nothing wrong with hoping! LOL!
      So you're saying by paying half the bill you're creating "distance" and altering his "expectations". Interesting!

4. Camille Harris profile image87
      Camille Harrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, ChristinS ("Sometimes men who pay for everything might expect "everything" a little too soon.")!

That's generally my thinking when offering to pay half of the bill on a first date. It's unfortunate some people still think this way, but true

5. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Women have desires too. It's not just about what he expects. Some women want to have a little fun too. There is no such thing as too soon for either.

4. realtalk247 profile image76
    realtalk247posted 9 years ago

Interested. I'll take myself out of the equation.

I have know women that do the fake offer to pay for the date.  1/2 of these women do this as a trick. If the man lets you pay, they will pay and never talk to him again. The other 1/2 offer to pay because they want to show interest and are financially stable.

You have the old fashioned and traditional women that are offended if a man would even offer or let a woman pay for the date. 
    BTW taking someone out does not mean she pays the tip. If a woman pays for any part of the date you don't get credit for the date. I'm just being honest.

So if the bill came up to $100 and the (woman voluntarily) offered to pay a $20 tip the man gets no credit for choosing the restaurant and buying her meal? I think there are women who have such a great time they're in the mood to contribute.smile

5. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 9 years ago

I would say the offer to 'go halves' in the expenses of that night out indicates that the woman is indicating her independence and an assertiveness which says, 'treat me as an equal.  I'm not reliant on you.'

That's true. However I've heard a few ladies indicate they pay when they want to create some "romantic distance". The belief is (some men) run a mental tab and figure they're entitled to a "make out" session later. Her paying half says "no way"smile

6. kevin adera profile image60
    kevin aderaposted 9 years ago

quite frankly i think this is just a gesture to project an individual who is independent and responsible, some men might find this a little disturbing and intimidating but ay the end of it all you will be dealing with a lady who is pursuing an almost equitable relationship and not a one-sided thing.

I don't think men find it "disturbing and intimidating" to have women pay for dates. However I do believe some see a woman doing so on a (first date) as a gesture of putting the brakes on any romantic expectations he may have afterwards.

2. kevin adera profile image60
      kevin aderaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

sounds like marking the boundaries

Absolutely! The real test is whether or not she agrees to go out on a (second date) or she turns her head when he attempts to kiss her good-night. No commitment to go out again & a rejected kiss combined with her paying half add up to bye-bye!smile

4. kevin adera profile image60
      kevin aderaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

you know sometimes dealing with women as a man calls "extra vigilance" women sometime tend to send very mild subtle signals that if you are not keen you may fail to add 1+2 to get 3.

5. dashingscorpio profile image78

Very true!
      There is way too much energy put into sending "signals" and attempts  "reading" them between the genders. She could easily say: "I'll go out with you BUT don't expect ANYTHING from me!" Now that's some real honesty! LOL!
      No guessing!

7. profile image0
    Pennyforyourthotsposted 9 years ago

I would say if the woman offers to pay half, it may mean that the date did not go well or as well as expected. She may not even consider it a date. On the other hand, if she offers to pay for all, she is being very generous and the date has gone exceptionally well and/or she is displaying her want to be independent.

Very interesting! That's pretty much what TheBizWhiz said also. Offering to pay half on the "first date" does seem to signal there were no "romantic sparks" and she's not likely to go out with him again. Thanks for your answer.

8. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I've offered to pay half on every date I've been on, so no, it isn't a "lack of interest" thing for me, because I went on to have a few relationships after those first dates... including with my now husband.

It's sort of just in my nature to offer to pay my own way. I don't like presuming that someone is going to pay for me under any circumstances. No date ever did want me to pay and I never pushed it. I can see how pushing it could send the message that I'm not interested. So I do think there's a difference between offering and insisting.

Even then, if a woman insists on paying half and it sends the message that she's not interested, that's not necessarily the message she intended.

You make an excellent point about "intentions". Some women believe if you allow a man to pay for everything he's going to "expect" something later on. That may or may not be true however if a man asks a woman out on a 1st date he should pay.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)