Immigration - what should be done about it?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

Immigration - what should be done about it?

What's the best and fairest way to address immigration in the USA?  What would you do?

2. B. Leekley profile image85
    B. Leekleyposted 9 years ago

I would start by studying American immigration laws, regulations, and practices. I know little about them, so I should begin with studying them. I have been remiss not to have done familiarized myself with this information already.

The principles that I would recommend be followed if they are not already: 1. Immigration by a point system. 2. Higher points to keep a family together. 3. Higher points for needed job skills. 4. Hospitality for immigrants and refugees. 5. Those born in the United States are citizens of the United States. 6. Unless there is some reason to deny it, citizenship for those who are now adult who have been raised from childhood as Americans and who apply and pass the citizenship tests.7. No one treated inhumanely. 8. Replacement of the "drug war" with common sense regulation analogous to the regulation of booze and nicotine.

Beyond that, I need more information.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

My policy on almost anything these days is very simple: listen to what the Tea Party is saying and do the exact opposite.

Tea Party rejects amnesty and wants a stronger border? Great, then the way to go is immediate and complete amnesty and dismantling of the border.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 9 years ago

People that are going through the legal immigration process spend lots of money, and spend a lot of time going through the hoops, and the majority of them are denied.
    So allowing illegal aliens that get into the country because they are our neighbors, prevents the legal applicant from getting in because they have quotas. Illegals have no quotas.

Rewarding those people that violate our laws, while punishing those people that respect our laws is wrong.

Getting benefits of citizenship to illegals is wrong, free medical service, education, welfare, driver's licenses.

For the illegal aliens they could have done better with a work program. Mexico and S America is the home country, it is where there families are, and where they send their money made in the US. It is those countries that should take care of them, not the US.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years ago

For some reason it puzzles me why neither political party can solve this problem. Clearly we cannot just leave our borders open with a free invitation especially with the fear of terrorists. Also there is all the talk of these 5 million getting $3000 each for three years. Who and why did someone come up with that? Are they trying to destroy us? So how many more million is this going to bring in to reward them so highly for breaking our laws and not only that but many of the women coming in immediately get on the welfare system (why is that even possible?) and have baby after baby (that we pay to deliver) who are American citizens with all the rights and of course that is why they do it.
    I cannot see why any American would see this as a great and humane thing to do and clearly it will come to no good end. I think it is a nightmare someone needs to solve PDQ instead of throwing money at. The American people have spoken I think but it seems the politicians seem to not be listening. We have homeless and needy (including millions of children) they all seem to want to ignore. They are American; do they not deserve shelter and food before lawbreakers?  Politicians are up to something and we are not blind to it I hope they know.
    I say seal the borders and then send home the crooks and criminals; then start from there but stop the flow!
    I see nothing wrong with legal immigration. It worked for our ancestors! It prevents our country from filling up with criminals!

6. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 9 years ago

Perhaps the first step in solving the problem would be to define the difference between "illegal entry into the U.S." and "illegal  colonization in the U.S." We're long past the point  of a few stragglers entering this country illegally no matter what their excuse. Mexico/South American illegals are colonizing in the U.S. and demanding the same rights as American citizens as if that's their due. They've formed their own organizations, neighborhoods, etc. and squeal like pigs caught in a gate if they're not catered to as they see fit.  If anyone reads the rules established by Mexico for persons seeking citizenship there -- well, the rules are pretty stiff -- AND MEXICO ENFORCES THEM. Perhaps if we just enforced the immigration laws already in place in the U.S. the problem would at least be minimized. As to resolving the problem? As long as there's politicians who feel illegals are the easy path to election -- there'll be no answer at all.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That really is it I believe, too, buying people (votes) with our money and it really does have to stop. One side does it and the other is afraid to stop it; like that is going to help them any.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)