To all logically minded people out there, what makes some people have an unreali

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

To all logically minded people out there, what makes some people have an unrealistic premise

that money is not important to living a decent life and that people can be happy without money when societal evidence contradicts such a fallacious premise?  It is poor people who commit the most crimes because they do not have the educational avenues and opportunities to achieve a better socioeconomic life legally so they resort to illegal means.  Also many poor parents push their children into nefarious activities in order to live decently.  Social programs aiding the poor absorb much of our tax dollars. So anyone who states that poor people are happy have faulty logic.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12305940_f260.jpg

2. cobrien profile image61
    cobrienposted 8 years ago

People who say money is not important to having a decent life have different perspectives then you. What do you mean by "money"? Wealth? What do others mean by "money"?
    Poor people are unhappy and often turn to crime because they don't have the money to pay their bills. Wealthy people are often unhappy because money cannot build or support healthy relationships. The happiest people I have known had just enough to pay their bills with a little left over and enough in the bank for emergencies. Many were in debt and none were wealthy.
    To say that the poor don't have the opportunities necessary to get out of poverty lacks support. The government is more than happy to help impoverished people with funding for a college education.
    I currently live in poverty. I moved my family to another state with a lower cost of living, so now, although I often borrow from Peter to pay Paul, my rent is paid and my utilities are on, and I am happier than I have ever been. Furthermore, I receive government loans and grants and am a full time online student at Columbia Southern University where I am earning my BS in Psychology. I actually plan to teach GED and can do that with any Bachelors degree. My loans will be paid back at $75 a month, which is a drop in the bucket when you have a degree and make more money, so not wanting to acquire student loans is just an excuse. Also, I receive the balance of my loans and grants, and it helps a lot towards bills.
    The lack of opportunities that you noted come from lack of knowledge. I am older now, but if I was made aware of the resources open to me years ago, I would be so much farther in my career right now.
    That is my whole reason for wanting to teach GED. People who didn't graduate from high school usually come from lower socio-economic levels or have other personal issues and I look forward to showing them the opportunities available to them.
    The reason social programs are not working is because they don't address all the issues. I am unable to work due to illness and a need to care for my 22 year old autistic and schizo-affective son. Yet, I've been denied public assistance because I am a student and don't work at least part-time. I could probably get SSI, but it takes at least two years to get approved and I will have my degree by then. I also have a young friend in Florida who has a baby and she receives state assistance. She is anxious to return to work, but needs child care assistance and the waiting list is 18 months

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As I have said, money is important.  If you were wealthy, you wouldn't have to depend upon the government.  You would be self-sufficient.  Being poor is a curse and an aberration, believe it or not.  Being wealthy means independence &  freedom.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

I just don't understand the need people have to determine what makes another "happy".  Happiness is a choice.  According to this logic, people all over the world must be entirely miserable and never experience joy and I don't buy it.   I think you are mistaking "comfort" for happiness.  Are wealthier people more comfortable - yes.  Are they more "happy" - that depends on the choices they make, the people they surround themselves with and their disposition and outlook on life.  I'd wager there are many miserable misers out there who hoard wealth because they feel it is a measure of their "worth" - doesn't sound very happy to me.  I'm also convinced there are poor people who feel desperate and unhappy and they choose to remain that way rather than free themselves - plenty of joy and misery to go around to all people.  In the end, we are all having a human experience.  Every human being will experience the heights of bliss and depths of despair at some point - it's called life and money has nothing to do with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)