On a first date, what one attribute would rule out a second date?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years ago

On a first date, what one attribute would rule out a second date?

What could your date do that would be a sure sign to you that their would be no point in continuing to pursue a relationship with that person?

2. ThoughtsWriter profile image66
    ThoughtsWriterposted 8 years ago

When someone is impatient, that is a big no-no for me. Yes, people can learn patience, but it usually is at the cruel expense of someone else.

Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone loses patience sometimes, but it would not make a good first impression.

3. DWDavisRSL profile image81
    DWDavisRSLposted 8 years ago

If the person I was out with showed disregard for their personal hygiene, I would definitely not consider a second date.

That would be a real turn off.

4. letstalkabouteduc profile image96
    letstalkabouteducposted 8 years ago

If he talks too much about himself, I would not want a second day. I've had too many folks in my life (including a mother) who LOVE to talk about themselves. I realized that I meant very little to them; I was just an ear. If he's not interested in listening to you on the first date, he won't listen on the second, third, and fourth dates.

You make a very good point. It would be hard to feel a connection with someone  who is not interested in what you have to say.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12678376_f260.jpg

There are countless things!
    When it's all said done if you don't have a similar sense of humor and click when it comes to chemistry and establishing rapport it's unlikely there will be a second date. If first date wasn't "enjoyable" there's no need to go out again!
    Everything else that rules out a second date has to do with a person's behavior or topic of discussion they insist upon having whether it's an interrogation style rapid fire questions they ask, spending too much time talking about their exes, not asking you any questions to get to know what your interests are, excessive drinking, cursing, lateness, not dressed appropriately for the outing, constantly checking cell phone...rude to waiter/waitress, giving a date unsolicited advice.
    A first date should be all about seeing if you have any chemistry and trying to (have fun) as you get to know each other's "likes" and "favorites" when it comes to ways they like to pass their time.
    As I said if anyone walks away from a first date feeling like they didn't have a "good time" they won't be in a hurry to have a "second date".

Chemistry is important. I think you can tell about that in the first few minutes.

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Once I was in dating era for myself at a mature age. There were times it was through encounters both introduced and spontaneous. And, there was a time I used a service for introductions.

The normal social amenities would occur. Then a quick turnoff for me was when I was qualified too quickly. Many times that was a lead in topic even well before casual & formal or short term & long term. In other words the initial conversation after the natural amenities may follow along:

Date: Do you work or are you retired?

Me: I work

In my view it was odd the next lead in question was not what or where regarding work, but it was "Do you have retirement?"

Then I would usually pickup the menu wondering how to end the date.

7. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

Negativity would do it for me. Anyone who constantly criticizes or complains is a real turn off.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sha..I'm with you GF! The first "Woe is me," and I'm outta there!  LOL.The very WORST is men who speak disrespectfully about their EX!!  Actually, even mentioning an ex is BIG red flag!  I feel a headache comin on.  ZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Now here's a real no second...or first date. Anna just popped up next door on the screen here and wants to talk to me. She looks Russian and says hi! are u there?

8. profile image60
    Mills Pposted 8 years ago

If I'm ever in that situation again, I would be uninterested in a second date with a person who can't be bothered with calling me by name. You don't have to use my name in every sentence, but I will lose interest in a woman who thinks and speaks of me only in terms of "he" and "you."

9. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 8 years ago

Manners, manners, manners (lack thereof).  Turning up wearing dirty clothes.  Unkempt appearance. Assuming there is going to be a second date within five minutes of meeting me.  And yes, all of this has happened and no, no second dates for them!

1. profile image0
      Lizam1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh and I just remembered another one - during our first date walk and talk he didn't ask me one question - just kept talking, talking, talking about himself!

10. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Sherry......Really??  You only want ONE?  Sure, go ahead, spoil my fun.
    At my age, with the years of experience I have been BLESSED with (?)....I have a list that.......OH My, do I have a LIST! 

Frankly, it probably wouldn't be worth my time or Mr. X's time to even go out on a date.  Poor guy would probably hit 10 strike outs within the first hour!

Well, if you insist, I'll follow the instructions.  The sure way to rule out a second date for me would DEFINITELY be if he drank a lot!   It would "Good-Night and Good-Bye."

I would love to hear the rest of yout list, as my experience is limited. It might be educational to know how he is drunk. I would never get serious with anyone if I had not seen him angry.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Sherry...My list would take a HUB, maybe a series!LOL- By the time you get to be a greatgrandma & had more than 1 husband & been on HUNDREDS of dates..That "LIST" is in SCROLL Form!  Few warm fuzzies & lots of cold pricklies!

11. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 8 years ago

A red flag if a man stabs at his salad on your first dinner date, ladies.

Really? I would not have thought twice about that.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Sherry,  Pay no attention to our sweet Alastar.  I believe he is simply being funny.  C'mon Alastar, how else can we eat salad?  I'd say it's a red flag if he used a spoon!!   LOL

3. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Watch a guy stab at his salad and you'll see what i mean.

4. fpherj48 profile image60

LOL Alastar...MOST guys won't even eat SALAD.  It must be too "feminine" for the tough guys!!    But, you're right, they DO stab at their food if they can't eat it with their hands!!   LMAO!  Gotta love 'em!

12. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 8 years ago

A date who does not pay attention to conversations is a turn-off for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)