What would the world be like if people didn't believe in heaven?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

What would the world be like if people didn't believe in heaven?

Hundreds of people have gathered in New York's Central Park to create a giant Peace Sign in commemoration of John Lennon whose 75th birthday would have been on Friday, Oct. 9th.  The song "Imagine" contains the lyrics:  "Imagine there's no heaven...". If people the world over really did not believe in heaven, or in other words, in life after death, how would that change human interactions?  What would the world be like? What would your individual life be like? Does a belief in heaven prevent us from being better stewards of earth or hold us back from achieving at a more rapid pace?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12682125_f260.jpg

2. Edward J. Palumbo profile image83
    Edward J. Palumboposted 8 years ago

I have seen patients, friends and others who faced terminal disease and the reality of their own death and their reactions varied, of course, but those who had a belief system that assured them of a hereafter were comforted by that belief. Those who felt that this life is the only consciousness they would experience viewed their end with a different concern, often bordering on panic, or they tried to resign themselves to the void of nonexistence. I pondered that, and felt badly for those who believe there is no afterlife. I think the believe in a heaven or hell, reward or punishment, a nearness or isolation from the Supreme Being, tends to adjust one's moral compass and encourage a better arrangement of priorities. Those who passed on with a strong faith in another plane of existence after this one seemed to do so more peacefully and optimistically. The contrast was noteworthy, and made a lasting impression on me.

Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

a very thoughtful comment, Edward.  For the non-believer, there is less contentment and solace for sure.  For me personally, the thought of existence after death scares me more than the tought of non-existence.  I might change my mind later on wink !!

2. RLWalker LM profile image60
      RLWalker LMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I cannot imagine anything more terrifying than death.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I believe that part of the world would suffer, but the rest of the world would be better off if people didn't believe in a hereafter.

Reactions would vary. Some people would turn to a life of crime if they thought there were no repercussions. Some people would despair and find solace in drugs and alcohol. Some people, like my father who didn't believe in an afterlife, would work hard to become a good honest citizen while on this earth. I wonder what my Dad really thought about this being the only life he would lead with no eternity. He lived to be 78, and perhaps his belief, or lack of, was what led him to drink too much. Outwardly, he was accepting of his "fate".

We see movies and TV shows about wealthy persons who want to live forever on this earth. They try to buy longevity by genetic manipulation and usually end up losing their lives prematurely because of their disbelief and greed. If they believed in a heaven, they would probably want to go there instead of live forever here.

On the other hand, if Muslim extremists like ISIS had no heaven to believe in, perhaps they wouldn't have a motive to wage war and terrorism on everyone who does not think the way they do. The world could be a better place if these people didn't believe in heaven.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Some people would turn to a life of crime if they thought there were no repercussions."  Heaven is about the "afterlife"
      We'd still have laws, prisons, and the death penalty. smile

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86

MizBejabbers,  Thanks for your comment!  I'm only 7 1/2 years away from where your dad was (not that I'm counting), but I think fatalism CAN "draw one to drink".  I don't think morality would change, however, because of what dashing has stated.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think we all agree. GMW said basically what I said. She just put it more eloquently. I think morality comes from the soul, and that we would still be what we are regardless of no heaven.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image86

MizBejabbers, I think this group is a "mutual admiration society" here on hubpages.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12682951_f260.jpg

I believe more people would try harder to be happier (now).
    They may also be incline to try to stay healthier and live longer.
    However I also suspect more people would be terrified of dying.
    It's their belief in heaven or a better place that gives them and their loved ones some measure of solace and hope that death is simply a transition. This is especially true of those lost as victims of crime.
    People believe they will be reunited with all their loved ones who preceded them in death including their deceased pets.
    When John Lennon says "Imagine no heaven above or hell below" he is alluding to us having one less thing to fight about!
    Many folks believe (religion) is often used as a "divisive tool" around the world which prevents us from "living as one".

Dashing, I agree. I think the shift in focus would make wars less inevitable and the treasuring of life more intense. However, we might need a whole new group psychologists helping people w the terrible pain of loss,especially the loss of a child.

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12185240_f260.jpg

It would make many people become more proactive in their lives.  They would realize that this life is IT and they will make the most of their lives.  They would become the best possible persons physically, mentally, psychologically, and socioeconomically.   They would realize that their duty is to make the world a more positive place to be, live, and to interact.  They would become more powerful, realizing that their power is within themselves.  They would adopt the philosophy of ownership and really take responsibility and be accountable in their lives.

For other people, such a belief would be carte blanche to do as they please to others.  They would devolve into the lowest common denominator possible.  They would rationalize committing egregious acts, believing that if there was no heaven nor afterlife, they could do to others as they please with no consequences.  In their purview, they can be as evil and wicked as they want to for such acts would be inconsequential to say the least. 

Some people would be immobilized, even psychically paralyzed at such a thought.  They maintain that they will have nothing to hope for.  They will be utterly defeated, even lost.  They contend that if this world is all there is, all hope is gone and they might as well be resigned to this fate.

Grace, Very thoughtful and logical!  I'm wondering about the second group though.  I'm not sure the fear of not going to heaven deters people from evil doing.  I'm wondering if there's simply a "nature PLUS nurture" component in that.  I don't know.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are some devolved people who DON'T care if they hurt others. I think that there is nature + nurture component in that.To digress, there are people who believe in heaven yet do heinous acts,believing that they will be absolved in the end.

6. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

I Appreciate your answer to the question Edward JP. I think that if people would just give the truth a chance , they would be more at peace, they would not be angry and argumentive , if they would just understand
    if you as a person exist , your being as you not impossible , why does God have to be .
    He is much more then we could ever be in that he made humans and provide his spirit to function and breath in us.
    God did not create humans for nothing but wants his creations to be happy , even though some one threw a wrench in the process , the future is still going to produce a paradise and it will be on time.
    This is the message of Good will of our Heavenly Father. 
    All that is seen now will be a thing of the past.
    New World Translation
    Isa 65:17 For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be called to mind, Nor will they come up into the heart.
    Not just heaven will be New but notice it said earth.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, humankind will evolve beyond artificial boundaries and become ONE.  Humankind will become less tribal and egocentric.   Humankind will go beyond religiosity and into spirituality.  After all, humans are spiritual creatures.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Kiss and Tales,  Thank you for your comments.

3. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you gw , and Billie kelpin I appreciate
      good questions and answers that truly show the care and concern of the importance of human life.

7. passionatelearnr profile image85
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

its not belief in after life or heaven that prevents a person from committing a crime,or become  nice, even if a person has that belief.Love of God and fear of his punishment in this worldly life prevents some people from committing a wrong.people won't harm one another so mych if only they believed that God's punishment will come soon.in fact,theres no greater truth than ''what goes comes around''.

passionatelearnr. Thank you for your point of view. However, there are millions upon millions of atheists, agnostics, and other non-traditional believers who lead highly moral and ethical lives. Their behavior is not driven by fear of punishment.

8. Saideep Karanam profile image57
    Saideep Karanamposted 8 years ago

Heaven is a concept, if not true, that binds all our moral values together. It is a self-made concept that instil's in us a fear of wrongdoing. It is this belief that prevents us from adulterating the society. Looking at various cultures all over the world, it is clearly evident that people do believe in some sort of a life after death. They live in the thought that doing good to others will ultimately do good to them, and thus they are 'entitled' to go to heaven. Doing gruesome acts will do no good to you and you end up going to hell. It's just a blindfolded belief and that's how we are taught. Now say there exists no concept like 'heaven' as such. People will definitely lose all the decorum and moral values are are stake. You are honest when you are under some sort of a surveillance but when you are not, you are not always true. The 'heaven' does the job of surveillance here and this henceforth prevents people from all the wrongdoing. You would probably see a place will very little mercy and inhumane sightings would become a common sight. With nearly over 80% of the world trusting God (or some super power as such) the world is such a deceitful place. And imagine if there is nothing that protects our morals the world would be a brutal place. To me, this concept of heaven plays a critical role in my daily schedule and I suppose we gotta trust in it, for the welfare of the mankind.

Saideep Karanam,  Thank you for expressing your viewpoint. To do good for others for an ultimate reward is not the motivation of many people.  Many do good with no expectation of reward, except knowing that they are promoting another's welfare.

9. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

We shall soon see because Atheism is the fastest growing Religion in the United States! The spirit of the Anti-Christ is running rapid in America and as we know, as goes America, so goes the rest of the world!

Let me say, this is not a HATE speech but a warning of the morality decline in the US!  Leviticus 19:17 says "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart; thou shalt surely rebuke thy neighbor, and not allow sin upon him."  Therefore, by telling one TRUTH (according to Scripture), displays loving the sinner, but hating the sin.

If you knew a bridge was out and one was headed for destruction, would you not forewarn him?  The same it is by telling TRUTH from His Word for TRUTH displays LOVE! 

Recent enactment of the Supreme Court's Decision on same-sex marriage is only the beginning of tearing down our social culture and increasing morality decline! It was quite shocking to see the reactions of "Christians" regarding the Decision!  Where was/is their belief in Christ?  They continue to say "I believe," but "IN WHAT?"  It was/is as though they've obtained the attitude of "live and let live" which is against the Word of God (Leviticus 19:17)!

The overall Supreme Court Decision is really not about being gay, but "control!"  Control of schools, churches, the economy, business, the military and it will go on and one until the spirit of the Anti-Christ consumes the world! 

The Decision will destroy the family structure.  We are seeing more and more articles asking if monogamy is really necessary.  Children as young as 5 and 6 years old are being taught in some school systems they can choose their gender rather than by genetics. 

There is currently a $850K fine for 501(c)(3) organizations who do not insure employees for "The morning after" and/or birth control pills which is against the Word of God (Genesis 1:28) and soon we will see such a fine against clergy persons who do not perform same-sex marriages (Matthew 19:4)! 

The spirit of the Anti-Christ is running rapid as "Christians" sat idly by saying "I believe!"  Get Real!

In response to your question "What would the world be like without a Heaven?" - The way the Scriptures predicted (Romans 1:21-32)!
    LORD, Have Mercy on US All!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)