What is your favorite Bible version and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

What is your favorite Bible version and why?

I just asked someone what version of the Bible they studied. They refused to answer but insisted it was not certain versions. I admit, I like them all, I even like some Coptic stuff. I do not dislike any version. But are versions like politics? Do we need to pick one and dislike the others?

2. profile image0
    Hxprofposted 8 years ago

I choose versions that are word for word translations.  Included in this list are English Standard Version, Revised Standard Version and King James.  There are, I believe, a few others....oh yes, and Young's Literal Translation also.  There are versions that I avoid or I use with great caution.  Word for word translation is important because we start to muddle the meaning of scripture when we translate phrase by phrase.

Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer. Recently I have been looking at children's versions which are quite interesting. I find they all lead to my better understanding.

3. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 8 years ago

The version that I was brought up on; King James. I read other versions  too. The New KJV is next and the The New International Version is more today English friendly but they should all mean the same thing.

Mr. Word it is good to hear from you. I find that if I read any version through the eyes of the intention to find God's love they basically all do mean the same thing. But I do like delving into it word by word also.

4. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

I like The New King James Version, and really, any version will do, but The Message is just funny.

Very good. You guys who read it and find it silly make me happy. I always learn so much from you folk. It is said that that crazy guy Jesus loved everybody. Now that is silly. No Way! But I try, sometimes just to see if it can be done. Welcome.

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The reason that The Message is funny is because of the way it was worded.  The content is not laughable, the guy who wrote it was--his writing style.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

It is inappropriate to say the Bible is the worst written book in history. But it may be right. C'mon who says "thou shalt slew"? Try reading some to a 5 year old and putting it in common English. I have to translate English to English for me.

5. always exploring profile image76
    always exploringposted 8 years ago

St. Mathew, verse 28...Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 8 years agoin reply to this

...He said "version."

2. profile image50
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Zel: Why no compassion? You're so mean!  She meant what she said & you understood what she is saying, no matter what "version" she used!

6. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    New International Version (NIV)
    English Standard Version (ESV)

I use these four the most. I have 38 versions on my computer that I access via E-Sword. E-Sword allows word and phrase searches. Dictionaries, commentaries etc.

I don't like the KJV most likely because of the King James Only crowd. I also don't like it because it is written in a 400 year old dead dialect that I don't speak or care to understand. I also don't like it because it causes perfectly good human beings to speak funny when they pray.

7. Carb Diva profile image95
    Carb Divaposted 8 years ago

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. Romans 8:26".

Sometimes life hurts so much, it is impossible to find the words to even utter a prayer. This verse gives me comfort because it assures me that, when I can't find the words, the Holy Spirit feels my pain, hears what is in my heart, and my prayer is heard.

8. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I really cannot say which is my favorite as I cannot remember much of the earlier versions I had as far as helpful or hard to understand. I have only one version of a study Bible today - NIV. I am interested in getting a New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha. But, first I would like to see the print size Ha - Ha :-)

Sharing is I looked at my historical usage, of which transitioned from one version to another. I think during the years I really studied I spent more time with various book commentaries leaving lasting impressions.

The last version I read from front to back was a New Living Translation. It was for a community college class with the Bible as literature. That offered a whole new perspective. Highly recommended if any are interested.

9. Dana Tate profile image82
    Dana Tateposted 8 years ago

Mine is the New King James Version (Oxford bible) It's a study bible and so much easier to read. I do have three different bibles and sometimes I will switch up. I do this because although they say the same thing they use different words and somehow this keeps me interested.

Well Dana you picked my favorite go to Bible if I just can't grab onto a citation someone has given. Right now I am studying out of the 1907 version of the Douay Latin Vulgate translation. It was passed down from my Jesuit schooled father. Fun!

10. profile image50
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

"It doesn't matter what "version" of the Bible one studies IF they have "WAITED" (Acts 1:4) and received HELP from the Holy Spirit who "leads and guides us into ALL TRUTH" understanding is given! 

No matter what "version,"  without guidance from the Holy Spirit one only reads "the letter" (I Corinthians 6:3) forming their own opinion or interpretation creating 33K + denominations in the US!

Everyone should have "WAITED!"

Very nicely said Norine -- But I want to know what Bible version you use. Could you tell me for my further understanding?

2. profile image50

KJV, Copyright 1967 by Oxford University Press, Inc., The Scofield Reference Bible, Copyright 1909, 1917, copyright renewed, 1937, 1945
      The New Scofield Study Bible was previously published as The New Scofield Reference Bible. 
      Helps? No! Only HS!

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Very interesting. I was not that familiar with this version. I think I just may get a copy and the earlier editions seem the best. Thank you for sharing this.

4. profile image50

You're welcome Eric! 
      TRUTH: Matt 6:33 "Seek ye FIRST (WAIT) the kingdom of God "and his righteousness" & ALL these things (understanding too) will be added unto you."

"WAIT" for "HELP" (Holy Spirit for "understanding!")

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Wait is beautiful and something near and dear to those of us getting a little older. 50+ years of understanding scripture gives us something a new convert just cannot get. One has to wait to interpret and waiting takes years and years.

6. profile image50

Eric: The WORD begs to differ!  Did they Acts 2 have to WAIT yrs? NO! Rd Act 1-2! The KEY is "fasting & praying" believing TRUTH, & having FAITH in "rightly divided" WORD!Acts 2:38 "Repent, & be baptized n the name of JESUS Christ..&

7. Ericdierker profile image45

Norine you do not speak. You have not the gift of any tongue. Parroting is wonderful for a newbie Christian such as yourself. But it is not a way to converse with adults. We can all read here. No need to read for us. Boring is what you are.

8. profile image50

Call the WORD "parroting?"  Call being "anointed by Holy Spirit" NEWBIE?" Which apparently HE is to U!  Call WORD "boring?" 
      Watch it!  Getting close, if not, BLASPHEMY!
      II Cor 4:3-7!  Read that since U can read!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)