Do U describe Urself as "Type A"/active & assertive, OR "Type B"/ laid-back, cal

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (50 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Do U describe Urself as "Type A"/active & assertive, OR "Type B"/ laid-back, calm/cool & steady?

Are you somewhere in between & what TYPE would that be?

2. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12903999_f260.jpg

I am definitely Type A. Always have been, apparently always will be. I don't pussyfoot around with life in general. I live it.
    Sorry that this offends some people, but I have to say that y'all have the same pants to get happy in that you have to get mad in. Your choice.
    (Photo is of Bob - my other half) :-)

fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Type A's should not offend anyone. They R the go-to folks when U want something done yesterday! Bob gave me a scare! I thought I accidently added the pic!!  No doubt Ur other half is ALSO Type A! LOL

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I am usually type B. However, there are times when type A will slip out when I really have a challenge that needs attention right away.

What would be in between? A laid -back observer who will assert self when necessary.

Very good Phyllis! The "in between" U just described  is mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent~ aka Superman!!   LOL  Perfect!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cool ! You are spot on with Clark Kent. That is funny.  I like 'perfect'.  LOL

4. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I am kinda' changed from yesterday. By that I mean I no longer am in the workplace other than at my desk here at home. And, then it is not centered on traditional business being aimed at writing. That is more pleasure than profession. This is meant as a preface for next.

Curious I took a 10 question online assessment. My score was 5/10, so they indicate that as Type B.?.? But, for this question I would say I am a mix. The lean toward 'B' I think that is my 'natural' social personality. In contrast I am still goal orientated and take the actions needed for those.

That I think is because I was conditioned to become 'A' due to career and the bulk of that in a corporate life. The first 12 years was trade skill contrast manufacturing orientated and I was more laid back. The later 30 was management and leadership, so more goal centered and steps to achieve those. So, here we have the nature vs. nurture argument . . . giggle + giggle . . . I kinda' hope those remain buds on this continuing journey.

Sounds like a tune I've often heard & also accepted for myself.  I was a definite A type the first half of my adult life.  Now I am much more of a B Type, who never forgets the A Type will always remain within!

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

That's a tough question - I tend to be a pretty easy going person in my day to day life, I'm fairly introverted (but not shy, I'll tell people what I think) and I'd rather be at peace with people than make enemies.  I try to learn and keep an open mind.  That being said, I am also passionate, determined and not afraid to say what I think, particularly if someone is being stupid or mean spirited without a good reason lol.  I'd say I'm probably more towards the assertive side honestly - While I am very diplomatic for the most part; I don't take crap from people.  Some are surprised by that because I am small and soft-spoken, but they learn quickly not to push my buttons.   I like to get things done. I am very self-taught and prefer to learn how to do things for myself.  That being said, I am also very empathetic with others, tend to stick up for the underdogs and I try to actively be compassionate with others - I think empathy, like intellect, can be grown with practice and consistency.  wow, what do I call that blend? I don't know.. lol

WOW!! IMO this is getting "spooky." U could have easily been describing me to  a TEE!  What can this "blend" be called?  GREAT Q. Let me suggest "Type PB" for Perfect Balance. (w/ a teeny pat on the back) LOL.

6. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

I am type A, always will be. I was born a type A, and this sometimes gets me into situations I don't even realize I'm in until it's too late. I never had any problem with it when I was in broadcasting because type A is the kind of person they want for an employee. However, when I took a state government job, it sometimes is a problem because the agency where I work now seems to want type B sheeple. Even the top promotions go to the people who are type A in type B clothing, and believe me, those are the ones you watch out for (dangling participle intended).

MzB...I can relate to & appreciate Type A personalities, having been so in my child rearing days.I still am by nature, but literally focus & concentrate on being "B" 4 many reasons. FYI, I'd have guessed U 2 B a "B" type...Thanks 4 UR comment

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, Paula, I had 3 boy cousins, all older than I, on the farm, and I had to be a type A to keep up with them. We wrestled, fought, played baseball, and they teased and tickled me unmercifully. But I loved them like brothers.

3. fpherj48 profile image60

That makes a lot of sense & no doubt UR Type developed out of necessity. I still get a feel from you as a "laid-back" sort of woman...maybe U R more than U realize!  Can we see us as others see us? Another good question to ask!

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My nature is to be courteous and kind to everyone unless they give me a reason not to be, but I'm not sure a person with thyroid problems (mine was removed) can ever be a type B.

5. fpherj48 profile image60

I agree you have a point there, MzB.  Have U written about ur thyroid issues & removal?  It would be interesting & educational to readers!

6. Michael-Milec profile image59
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just as  you are following your heart in all you do, finding yourself " born a type A", makes me better to understand the motivational power greater then Michael, within me. Make a great day.

7. Michael-Milec profile image59
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

Not only myself, but my family  and everyone who knows me describes me as " A ". When I was young - younger , I have deprived myself of sleep in order to accomplish/ know more. At age of fifteen I began a self-supporting  living away from home... Now after  eight decades my son have supplied me  with a Fitbit to keep me under control . . . ( Really!?)

Michael...It seems there's no doubt or hesitation 4 you.Definite Type "A".   U've earned the right 2 slow down 2 a "B" now!  Don't  you think?? smile

2. profile image57
      Michael Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Let me reconsider your advise Paula;"B" a second half perhaps . My body is arguing with me every year when celebrating anyversary of my twenty -ninth birthday. Being in transition, taking only smaler projects, shifting more toward reading & writi

8. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 8 years ago

Neither. It really depends on the situation as to whether I am active, assertive, laid back, clam, cool & steady. And precisely because it does, people don't know how to take me.

For instance, in a situation where nothing needs to be corrected, I remain quiet and allow others to take leadership. On the other hand, if I see the propagation of misinformation, I take over.

This confuses people a lot. The pecking order is an interesting thing. People automatically 'peg' you at a particular level. When one is quiet and easy going, they think they can tell you what to do. And I go along with that, because fundamentally I really don't care if it helps someone if I wash up the dishes. It's when they tell me to do something that I disagree with that they suddenly find that I don't take orders from anyone...

Amazing how people confuse co-operation with being weak minded. smile

My own life experiences tell me clearly that those who mistake Kindness as a weakness~~are merely being OUTSMARTED.  Thanks 4 UR interesting response.Type A & B are the basics~there R more as well as combinations. Often difficult to determine.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What other types are there?

3. fpherj48 profile image60

Using the BASICS, Types A&B, speaking from a strictly clinical sense, groups of sub-types are described from an aptitude and behavioral study of individuals. From within Types A & B~ R currently 12 Dx's. most covering behavioral pathology.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I have absolutely no idea what that all meant. Sorry. The bottom line is that I am a mixed type, and just based on my persona, if I don't fit either a type A or a type B, then millions of people the world over, don't fit it either.

5. fpherj48 profile image60

Quite difficult to give lengthy detail here. In the near future I will tackle this topic. Ea. one's CORE personality type is 1 or the other. What U mention is our natural shifts in "behavior & attitude" within day 2 day living. I'll do that hub.

6. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Some years ago I tested for a job. Apparently type A. I was assumed to be highly competitive because I got As for everything. I got As for everything without a stitch of work because I have a high IQ. I'm not competitive.

7. fpherj48 profile image60

Tess. 1 of the most glaring & definitive characteristics of Type A's IS competitiveness as well as genius.This is a GOOD thing.U may not see it,but UR testing proves U project this 2 the world. More intelligent = motivation = Competitiveness.

8. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Paula, I don't compete. If people start competing with me, I stop. I become very distressed. I'm dirt poor because any sort of stress incapacitates me. I do what I do because I'm naturally talented. I wish I had more space here.

9. fpherj48 profile image60

I understand what UR saying. I wonder though if U feel that U often challenge UrSELF. This is a subtle form of competition...within UR own active mind. True, not enough space here 2 get a full point across. STRESS is a huge indicator of Type A's.

10. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Well, I must admit I do try constantly to improve. I work best when relaxed and happy. I don't care what others do. I prefer all people to be equal. I loathe type A personalities. I find type B too weak. ??? I am an INTJ.

9. always exploring profile image76
    always exploringposted 8 years ago

Can I be both? Hee. Some days I'm calm, cool and collected, then I can be laid back or cleaning like a maniac. I think It depends on the weather...

Ruby...U can b the whole alphabet if U want to!! LOL. Type A/Type B concept refers to our BASIC (sort of inherited) personality type. So..nervous, high strung, go-getter OR calm cool swingin on the front porch~~personalities as the REAL U!!

10. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

When it's about temperament I have something of a cat in my nature. I can purr in a total content, meditating, listening to my soft classical music, walking in my favorite park-forest, sitting there on a bench, and resting my eyes on the passing river. Holy-Molly, I really am like a cat, now that I think of it!!!

For in a next scenario you could see me press the gas pedal to the floor of my engine and keep working like a man possessed. As soon as I open my eyes in the morning, my mind is fully alert, and I could start doing a crossword puzzle before that first cat-stretch.

Last night I meditated as usual, and as it is with us meditators, we don't need much sleep. So I woke up shortly after 4 AM and on my way back from the washroom I got an idea for my next hub. So I sat by my laptop and did it while still rubbing the dream off my eyes.
    And then again, as soon as I am done with a task, I sink into my usual state of calm. It usually takes me about 3-5 minutes to fall asleep at night, and sometimes I am so relaxed and calm I think I could sleep on foot like a horse. Most of the time I half-wake up during dreaming and direct the rest of my dream. I trained myself to do my walking version of meditations, producing ecstatic feelings at will.

Those who know me would probably want to add that this cat can also scratch. Not with hate, but just to give a fair warning  -  before he continues purring and purring. Why? Because he can.

So, we can assume UR answer is that U vacillate from Type A to B as UR day unfolds.Yet by nature, our DNA makes us expressly 1 type or  the other. The switches in behavior R normal 4 all of us. Safe to say, Ur an "A" Type for sure.  Thanks, Val.

2. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In psychology: Type A=Choleric=irritable, Type B=any of following -Sanguine=optimistic, sociable, Melancholic=analytic, quiet, Phlegmatic=calm. I am phlegmatic/sanguine." Irritable" is strange to my nature. I have to kick myself into assertive mode.

11. Besarien profile image75
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

I definitely started out as a type A. I am still active and assertive but am getting more chill. I think by the time I retire I will have graduated to type B.

Besarian..UR ability 2 chill now that U've aged a bit & have life experiences under UR belt is good 4 U  BUT via DNA UR still an A who has adopted B characteristics by choice.This is my story as well. Thanks so much.  Remember to chill..LOL

12. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Hi Paula:
    I would have to say Type A.  I will speak to any stranger when given an opportunity.  I am not afraid to approach a clerk in a store and ask about an item, or ask someone on a street for directions.  I chat with people while riding an elevator.  And try sitting in the waiting room of a veterinary office!  Strangers become immediate friends when talking about their pets!  Or in the aisle of a grocery store buying cans of cat food.  I have shared so much humor and have heard many great stories about peoples' cats! 

When introduced, I smile and greet a person with a solid handshake. 

As a child I was a terrible introvert.  I give God all the credit  for the changes He has made with my personality...it took me 19 years to be introduced to salvation in Jesus Christ.

The other side of the coin is that I hate conflict.  I am an "A" around good things and good people.  When hurt or upset, I hardly every confront the hurtee.  I have found that no answer leaves the other person hearing the last words spoken - their words.

Active? Yes.  Assertive? Yes but only if I can do so in a diplomatic and kind manner. 

I DO confess to writing complaint letters - one to McDonalds(employee rude), one to a drug store (the gal in the photography department was beyond rude), and a doozy letter to a walk in clinic where the resident physician was awful.  Anger makes me an outstanding writer when it comes to complaint letters - off the charts...ALL three letters elicited excellent results: a hand written apology from the employee at McDonalds with a coupon; a phone call from the pharmacy manager - (the gal I complained about still works there and now we know each other by name and she is lovely); and a phone call resulting in a FREE office visit at the walk in clinic - they did not charge me -as well as a very sincere apology.

I am only laid back, calm/cool and steady when reading or watching television.  Aside from that I am a Type A Personality Pogo Stick!!!

Thanks for a great question smile  Sparklea

1. profile image0

I share this quality of making instant friends everywhere I go, talking to clerks, cashiers, folks in elevators  - but still I am so calm and flexible that I can't be a Type A.. I think it's a huge generalization, because we are not that simple.

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Val.. again, as I have tried 2 explain.Personality TYPE is genetic. We R one or the other w/ variations. It is NOT a 'generalization', it is specific DNA.U R "calm & flexible" BCUZ U have trained URself & CONTROL UR natural, genetic tendencie

3. profile image0

Paula -  I got you this time, smart girl. It takes a little longer to us old geezers to figure things out. Remember the forgetful Wolf from Bugs Bunny? I imitate him too much and too often, so I must be becoming like him. Did you say Type A?- LOL!!!

4. fpherj48 profile image60

I often like to have things explained to me several times so I make fewer mistakes.That's part of Type A "perfectionist" syndrome.We all deal with our gifts of DNA that R sometimes a PAIN!  We need 2 work at controlling our "natural tendencies"

5. profile image0

Paula  -  Thinking of myself the way I was as a kid, I still think that my "controlling" went the OPPOSITE way. There was no outgoing bone in me. Introvert, shy, scared of strangers, giving in, calm, phlegmatic. Not a "perfectionist" then - or now.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Hi Sparklea..I want 2 congratulate U 4 UR talent & success w/ writing complaint letters! U go Girl!  I'm proud of U! I'm big on contacting companies too, when I'm dissatisfied w/ products or service.  I also write when I have praise now & the

7. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paula, me too, I send thank you notes to different places also.  Even a thank you after a hospital visit and to doctors' offices.  smile
      We never know how one's day can light up from a simple 'thank you.'

8. Michael-Milec profile image59
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are a gift to humanity, Sparkle. How blessed are the people you are coming in contact with. (I would like to meet you in the aisle of a grocery store , begin loading your cart with bird seeds ! as an inauguration encounter with a courteous friend

9. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Michael Milec The Spirit of God wafts from my computer screen with every note you send me.  I truly love you Michael Milec  - Jesus Christ manifests Himself through every word you have written me.  You emulate wonderful peace.  I LOVE birds too!

13. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

I'd say I'm a little of both. I'm very strong, outspoken, and take the bull by the horns. In that respect, I'm type A. Then A takes a step back and allows B to come in when I get burned out and just need a break from myself. Ha ha.

That's what I call "versatility!!"......Be who & what ya gotta be when ya gotta!
      Because as we know GF....."A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!!"  LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)