What crazy way could the world end?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. rgasperson lm profile image80
    rgasperson lmposted 7 years ago

What crazy way could the world end?

In my new book, I need the world to end in the first chapter. I want it to end in a crazy off the wall way. Help please.

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

I'm going to skip the it is all a dream or anything about gods raining down judgement.
    * small black hole created, escapes lab, starts consuming everything
    * massive energy release like gamma waves travels the earth, kills everything alive
    * grey goo of nanotech consuming everything programmed to take
    * genetically engineered organism that does the same
    * some combination of diseases that kills 95% of the population followed by another that exploits a weakness of the genetic immunity of the survivors (like carrying 2 copies of  CCR5-delta32 gene makes you immune to HIV but is rare because it made you vulnerable to the Black Death).
    * parasites like Toxoplasma gondii that are widespread and alter the mind are triggered by something else that makes the people carrying it violent and dangerous; I mention that because around 1/5 of adults have it or exposure to it
    * vaccine against big scare unleashes other threat, though this has been used in other cases
    * geo-engineering to solve one problem causes a worse one, though not Snowpiercer style
    * magnetic pole flipping triggers volcanic activity increase (already occurring) but our efforts to control it make it worse - so you see mass extinction level global dimming and toxic atmospheric releases - this was blamed for mass extinctions 250 million years ago
    * the all knowing all seeing ought to be all powerful AI that people want the singularity to be (there is no God but gosh darn it they want to invent one) decides it doesn't like people; best case scenario, Butlerian Jihad of Dune revolt to destroy thinking machines, worse case, Terminator / Skynet actually unleashes germs and kills everyone, middling case, totalitarian state with deliberate erosion of population numbers AND people's personality/will to maximize compliance. It could decide this after seeing us wreck virtual worlds for fun and kill our own children for our convenience.
    * mass sterility a la Children of Men or pregnancy is fatal (The Testament of Jessie Lamb)

Note, I write a lot of science fiction and horror, so you can see my own ideas in many of my short stories on Hubpages or "Humanity's Edge" anthology on Amazon.

1. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. Agree with the Toxoplasma gondii (already happened in ME)  Muhammound loved cats.

2. alancaster149 profile image76
      alancaster149posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know, Donald Trump gets into the White House and takes off his disguise to reveal George Patton, who presses the override button in the Oval Office to send missiles to Moscow. Putin diverts the missiles to land on the Doomsday site. End of world.

3. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13131200_f260.jpg

Zombie Apocalypse : How to make money in the coming zombie apocalypse by lobotomizing zombies into obedient puppies that are then to be used as slaves working in dangerous jobs without healthcare or litigation.

There were the expected first days of chaos after the rapture but then after some time, the zombies brought unseen benefits to those left behind. The 50% reduction of humans with souls created higher wages for skilled professionals while the zombies slaved in drudgery. This brought the biggest boom in manufacturing back into the United States with a quiet non-unionized slave force that needs no health insurance.

- http://hub.me/aakHL

1. alancaster149 profile image76

We've already had that. They're called 'Santa's little helpers'. There's no elfin safety there in Lapland either. Imagine what happens if Rudolf lands on your roof and skids off. What would Medicare staff write in their case files?

4. nochance profile image87
    nochanceposted 7 years ago

The scariest scenarios are ones that could theoretically happen. The yellowstone supervolcano freaks me out the most. Most of the united states gets covered in ash, ash that hangs in the air and blocks out the sun. Scary stuff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … er-US.html

1. alancaster149 profile image76

Even scarier would be if Ronald MacDonald takes over the world and makes us all eat Halal burgers

5. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 7 years ago

The Vogons could destroy it to make way for an intergalactic bypass...

1. nochance profile image87
      nochanceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think that one's been written already smile

2. rgasperson lm profile image80
      rgasperson lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I don't think I can use that one. Maybe the answer is 42.

3. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It warms my heart that people still read...

4. rgasperson lm profile image80
      rgasperson lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I find people read more than ever today. They read mostly social media, but at least they are reading.

6. skipster61 profile image58
    skipster61posted 7 years ago

I still think that the craziest way the world could end, would be if the somehow the earth stopped spinning. Imagine the havoc.

1. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Imagine the headache...

2. alancaster149 profile image76

Imagine what would happen in the World Series if the players lost their balls?

7. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 7 years ago

All right how about this:
    [In Monty Python style] The Bomb drops, 'mushroom' grows and climbs into the stratosphere, buildings collapse all around like tiers on a wedding cake, the last man types a page into a laptop, comes to the bottom of the page and signs off with 'THE END' and the whole lot gets sucked up into a black hole. When everything's gone we hear a loud burp and the black hole flies off to swallow another inhabited planet. Scene ends and a red stage curtain opens, a gun appears at the top of the screen. Bang! Out pops a flag that unfurls to show the message:
    "And now for something different!"

8. profile image51
    umesh bhattposted 7 years ago

There are two theories i heard of which one i deny big crunch & dark age
    Big crunch can't happen because as bigcrunh process will resume there will be a lot of black holes present around before it succesfully happens and on other side of a black hole will be material of this world which means universe like ours with same law of physics because the place is not antimatter
    other theory is the truth which is related to google years till last proton is seperated

9. letsnameyourbaby profile image61
    letsnameyourbabyposted 6 years ago

Hello!!

well, it's very difficult to predict the exact way. but going by some information I can only say humans size will be reduced to almost 1 feet and at the end, all would be sinking in water all around.

As we all know the earth has 70% water so we all will sink in this.

10. Deborah Minter profile image91
    Deborah Minterposted 6 years ago

Do you want the world to end, or society as we know it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)