Have we lost the ability to negotiate and compromise in the political arena?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image73
    pagesvoiceposted 7 years ago

Have we lost the ability to negotiate and compromise in the political arena?

We seem to have a tendency to vilify and demonize those with opposing political views or affiliations. There is a nastiness afloat unlike anything before. Social media and special interest groups flood us constantly with information meant to incite and inflame our emotions. It is now either my way or the highway regarding political issues. Regardless what you may think of Ted Kennedy, the fact remains, he was a master negotiator who freely worked deals across party lines. Radicalism, whether it is right or left needs to tone down. Do you agree?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

Dennis, with all due respect, when was the last time that congress negotiated or compromised? imo, Ted Kennedy was not a negotiator he was a manipulator. What is your definition of Radicalism?
    I do however agree with your basic premise. imo, the news media is fueling this incitement to get viewers.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Ted Kennedy was not a negotiator he was a manipulator."  Potaato - Potahto.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kathleen, Is that supposed to be a comment, or a failed spelling bee?

3. Cre8tor profile image94
      Cre8torposted 7 years agoin reply to this

She's right though.

4. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dan...How is she right and why do you agree? Do you not know that blanket statements without any explanation are useless in debates? In any event, we have a seemingly 'kindly' author in pages who is guilty of omission....

5. Cre8tor profile image94
      Cre8torposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was agreeing, not debating. However, negotiation & manipulation go hand in hand if you're a good negotiator that is. Deceit is a connotation not requirement of manipulation. Condescension doesn't help a debate either unless you only seek to deb

6. pagesvoice profile image73
      pagesvoiceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Yves...I'm not guilty of omission. You see, like you during the Oscars, I have a life outside of Hubpages. I am glad to see you participating. I find it amusing that you claim to be a relationship expert and you endorse a known sexual predator.

7. profile image0

Luckily for me, my heart is clear and my mind is calm. As your stated, "There is a nastiness afloat unlike anything before.
      pages, Thank you for giving us yet another example of your "nastiness."

8. pagesvoice profile image73

Yves - Unlike a fantasy world of alternative facts, the truth of the matter is actual facts can be extremely nasty.  I'm sorry if you are having difficulty in accepting this.

9. profile image0

I do not have difficulty accepting facts, pages. Not sure how you came up with that fallacy. Must be a Leftist thing. Anyway, did you not vote for the predator Clinton and his wife, whose list of corrupt activities are too numerous to print here?

3. Dean Traylor profile image94
    Dean Traylorposted 7 years ago

I believe we're increasingly losing that ability. There are several reasons for it.
    For starters, we live in the age of hyper-partisanship. People have taken sides and are not willing to hear the other side. The problem is that most of the people on this site are not the type to compromise. They're in attack mode.
    Secondly, fake news and  the plethora of ideological views in the media outlets have manipulated the way people think about politics. Most of these outlets (in particular AM talk radio) take sides and the consumers of these outlets fall for it hook, line, and sinker, despite evidence that can contradict some of the rhetoric from this media outlet (sorry for being too general on that, hopefully you understand where I'm getting with this).
    Finally, I believe that the political arena on this site is being dominated by those that have no clue how to debate. They believe that to win an argument is to scream, yell, belittle and attack anyone with opposing views. Even when you politely point out that  they were using information from a fake site or had misinterpreted something, they want to call you all kinds of colorful names. I can't really say that all we have to do is calm down and start listening to others' arguments. In truth these people need to start reading things beyond their own core beliefs or learn to experience or empathize with others with different point of views.
    I hope something like that will happen. However, I'm becoming very pessimistic that that will ever happen.

1. Misfit Chick profile image75
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like to think that these chaotic worldwide situations are happening to cause the growth of civilization: simple people are learning how to share & concerned people are learning how to deal with ignored extremism. Life lessons often hurt like he

4. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

You mean, like when you said,

“Those on the right just don't know how to handle democrats who fight dirty like they do.”

“The Supreme Liar in Chief is the Russian buddy who is currently in the White House.”

You might want to take your own advice.

1. Misfit Chick profile image75
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

First quote is so true, LoL! Trump & Co. have been celebrating repeal of PC & you are seeing results. I would NEVER have called peeps a direct name like T-fool or T-dork b4; but untrue 'leeberal' accusations of MODERATES incites equal jerkdom

5. profile image52
    Sherrod Dixwellposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately we have as people have been so politically fueled and are now almost permanently polarized between radial right wing and the liberal left. Our tolerance as a society as gone from slim to now none at all. Without the ability to compromise in the political arena with institutions such as Congress, we have gotten nothing done for the people for the longest amount of time. We need to come together as on universal national community, peacefully debate the issues, and compromise on what we can do about it without getting heated and without being sensitive to the issues we have at hand.

6. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13432991_f260.jpg

Having grown up in a Christian right-wing home, things have always been like this - no compromise, no bipartisan policies, etc. The Internet is just a spotlight; and we are ALL learning how to deal with things like fake news & hateful troll comments that are so aggressive behind their webmasks.

And, we are learning how politicians manipulate the media on both sides - with the past 8 years of GOP cultivating HATE among their base being this election resulting in Trump.

Evangelical Christians BELIEVE if they compromise, God will judge this entire country & strike it down with righteous vengence (cuz his 'do away with the law & sin' speech thru J's supposed death & resurrection means nothing).

When your entire mindset runs on fear - you get nothing but fear in return. You reap what you sow & out of the heart the mouth speaks. Its no wonder why so many thrive on fake news & conspiracy theories.

Relax, I realize that there are MANY atheist liberals in Trump's camp. But, you hijacked the conservative party so you will be lumped in with them. Besides, the spitefulness some of you are so proud of isn't any better.

The American people practically had to force the Republicans to work on the Affordable Care Act with the Obama Administration - and they have obviously resented it every day, since - even though some of their contributions made it better. If they actually had a DESIRE to make it better, yet - they could. But, most GOP believe that policy to be an outright 'sin'.

In fact, ANY policy that is meant to unite the country as a whole is considered to be suspicious because it suggests a move toward a 'one world govenment'. And since a one-world government is a foundation of their beloved apocalypse - it is something that needs to be feared & fought against because no one fears death more than a Christian, LoL!

Its bizzare that they are SO SCARED & fight against this stuff as if they could really alter whatever plans the Almighty might actually have for us. Oh that's right, they consider themselves to be doing 'the work of God' on his behalf - like he would need it.

God managed to create this entire world without your partisan input; and he created every variation on diversities that you can think of - and yet, SOME of you are insisting that the US should become 'just your' version of the Kingdom of God on Earth - when the Kingdom is already HERE still being molded since the 1st day humans began inhabiting this planet.

1. pagesvoice profile image73

Pat Robertson and Franklin Graham have the audacity to claim Trump is the chosen one to keep Israel safe from destruction. Oy vey.

7. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

Yes. And look no further than the posts on HP's Answers and Forums.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yes. its, "I demand proof of russia hacking, I demand proof! but, "where'd you hear that obama ordered a tap on trump towers?"...oh, a right wing talk radio host .....DERP

8. Mrinmoy2017 profile image52
    Mrinmoy2017posted 7 years ago

The question is contemporary not only for American soil but also in world politics. Finding independent media is very hard now-a-days, because most of the leading media houses are occupied by the big corporates. They sale the news as a commodity, and no social responsibility they care for.

Any right-wing party use the media even social media too, and always try to hallucinate among the poor and less educated people, who are not able to analyse the right-wrong things due to short term gain.

The same symptom we the indians have been witnessing since few years. The dangerous thing is the right-wing forces do not spare Nobel laureate and attacked him, 'hard work is better than Harvard'.

Their non-sequitur conclusion, makes pathognomy and divide the working class globally.

If we minutely follow, we will not find any concrete precept and that is the predicament of present politics.

9. Ken Burgess profile image77
    Ken Burgessposted 7 years ago

There is a break down of civility and compromise in D.C. politics these days because the politicians stopped serving the best interests of the people about 25 years ago.

The problem they have now, is that they are desperate to convince America that it is the opposition's fault... the majority of these old cronies are Democrats (Pelosi and Waters) though some Republicans are just as bad (McCain, Graham)... they will do and say anything to divert Americans from the truth that they have been selling out to Corporate, Bank, even foreign nations.

We could go down a line of all the Disasters they have gifted us... Deregulation, Glass and Steagall repealed in 1999, NAFTA, CAFTA, 2008 Bank Bailouts, ACA...

Plenty has been passed in Congress the last 25 years... most of which has made the majority of Americans poorer and underemployed, it has made wages stagnate, has allowed tens of millions of immigrants and refugees to enter and put a heavy burden on our social supports, which hastens the growth of the national debt.

We are ten years removed from a recession.... Trump has promised many changes that need to occur... trade agreements, infrastructure, the ACA... no matter what side of the aisle you are as an American... we all can agree changes need to be made for the betterment of all.

But the politicians don't care... they are too busy continuing to make our lives harder, and our futures dimmer because of all their squabbling and obstructionism, this stems from Congress... they were a pain in the but for Bush, for Obama, and now contemptably so for Trump.

The worst of all this... is we used to have this big build up... of arguing and fighting, that would END after an election, for a while, until we started nearing the next election... not now... the bitterness in Congress is worse than anything seen in a generation... and both sides are now starting to rally and fight one another on the streets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8znjXnaRPw

The above is a link to news about the fights breaking out at various rallies across the nation yesterday.

Something is really amiss, and I don't trust the media to tell us what it is... you have a better chance finding out what is going on in America these days from a foreign media news source, than from one produced in America.

10. lifelovemystery profile image77
    lifelovemysteryposted 7 years ago

There is a lack of respect and decency that I have never witnessed in this country. An elderly man was sprayed with mace at Berkeley University by a fellow citizen. He wasn't sprayed by police. He was sprayed because he was wearing a red baseball cap with the words, 'Make America Great Again'. This man was showing his support for our fairly elected President.

What gives a citizen the right to attack someone for wearing a hat?

This behavior is beyond despicable.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, there was a cop who pushed an 87 yr old woman down and maced her friend, and they were anti trump. if you recall at trump rally's, violence was encouraged. BY trump! fish rots from the head....too late to fix it now. they want it they got it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)