Can we fight, perhaps as a soldier or otherwise, yet still love our enemies? If

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 6 years ago

Can we fight, perhaps as a soldier or otherwise, yet still love our enemies? If yes, why?

2. shanmarie profile image69
    shanmarieposted 6 years ago

Interesting question with both ethical and philosophical elements. It does seem to be somewhat of an oxymoron, but I believe it is possible. The why of the question is a bit difficult to answer though. The closest example I can think of at the moment is to compare it to siblings fighting. Or ongoing serious family disputes. Often people are still loved, yet kept at a distance for whatever reason. There are aspects of those situations that can be applied to other larger, less personal situations. Such as war. Sometimes living ones enemy does not mean leaving oneself defenseless or open to attack.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image55
    The0NatureBoyposted 6 years ago

Since the concept is written "there is a time and season for all things" I would say yes.

My reasoning is we have to experience all attributes known to man, if we have not experienced being in war and showing love we have missed the middle path of love and war. 

During European War 2 (usually called WW 2) one Christmas Eve a set of soldiers began singing "Silent Night" at midnight and the other group heard it and both enemies took time out from frighting to celebrate the arrival of Christmas was told to me by someone who was in it. That is why I say yes.

manatita44posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ans wasn't that beautiful! They recognised their common humanity. Nice!

2. shanmarie profile image69
      shanmarieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have heard this story ,too, and always found it to be rather hopeful.

4. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 6 years ago

Wise one. You are repeating, in a beautiful way, the words of my last Hub. Wisdom with compassion. I will answer the why, for you, just not yet. ha ha. How are you my Dear Shannon. Is all ok? Stay well.

1. shanmarie profile image69

Haven't read yours at hub yet, so interesting you say that.I am fine, thanks for asking. Hope you are as well.

5. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

I believe that is true. I had heard the story Elijah told in his comment. In addition, there are tales of compassion shown the "enemy" during the Civil War, but of course in this war, relative sometimes fought against relative. We are evolving as souls in this time, and our souls have the capacity for loving our soul brothers although they may be on the other side of the war. Remember, most of these wars are declared by our leaders and not by the common people.

1. shanmarie profile image69

Good point about the civil war.

2. manatita44 profile image72

Thanks Miz.

Glad you identified with the compassion aspect.

6. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 6 years ago

I think one kind of needs to go backwards at first. The Art of War and The Republic are good sources on this. And of course the Bible has the phrase of “a time for war and a time for peace” (sometimes written hate) in the New Testament and a noble idea to render unto Caesar that which is Caesars which clearly would include fighting for the state and that point is heartily made in the Republic.
    If there is a man about to kill an infant child and mother. If I can I will kill him first. That is just a flat out fact. Now as a Christian I must take it further to my neighbor which would clearly extend to my nation. No I am not speaking of clearly out of bounds conflicts like the Vietnam War. And certainly we no longer conquer and colonize as some sort of manifest destiny.
    Then we visit the other area. There is a point in reaching our best soul state then we must be taught by a warrior and become one. There are conflicts that we must somehow defeat or literally become one with. This of course is a spiritual journey. Here as in the Art of being a warrior the goal is never the brutality but to win with grace. But at some point along the way you come to see our physical as nearly insignificant. And then a further place where mind is replaced by a simple awareness. The point here is that in some plane the human body that is destroyed in war is basically inconsequential, yours or another. Holding on to the flesh truly may not be a good thing, but sacrificing it for your neighbor/nation would be a great act of love. Of course we know that Jesus died on the cross but not before telling us that to give your life for another is the greatest love.
    It would seem to me that at this time war against ISIS is better than not stopping them. So I love so I only send my son to fight? Well that sure is not loving. The alternative is. So not only can we, but we must.

Wart is not a choice you make, it is one made for you by a higher calling.

A lot here, Bro. A strong answer with some very salient points. Do I take it that you are supporting the call to fight but with Love? Thanks for your contribution.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes I certainly believe that.

3. Debangee Mandal profile image67
      Debangee Mandalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Has really got valid points.Good answer.

7. Debangee Mandal profile image67
    Debangee Mandalposted 6 years ago

It is said that enemies should have highest position in your mind.It is not humanly possible to love enemies but we should at least pretend to love them. Enemies should be loved not to just win over them but to make sure that they are not aware of the fact that we know that he or she is doing enmity. If enemies come to know that we are aware and we try to openly fight with them , they are going to take some other route of action which might turn to be more severe . It is with love and tactics that we should decipher the mind of the enemy and then deal with them accordingly.

Hence it is a diplomatic way of dealing with enemies.
    Thanks for the wonderful question.

Hi Debangee.
      Your mind, enemies mind ... the mind is a culprit in Yoga philosophy... spirituality. It divides, separate, chops things up. it sees only 'me' and 'mine;'analyses, does not sing the song of oneness. Love is the language of the Heart.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Love comes from soul, hate comes from lower mind. It is possible to love your enemy's soul but dislike him on the lower-mind level. A country can't become true friends with a former enemy unless their higher collective souls love each other.

3. manatita44 profile image72

Interesting way of looking at it. Thanks Miz.

4. Debangee Mandal profile image67
      Debangee Mandalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, 'Mind'and 'Soul' sometimes turn out to be big culprits. They defy us in such a way that we become confused and act wrongly. But in the ultimate war, love wins over hatred. Something which cannot be done by hatred can be achieved by love.

5. manatita44 profile image72

Debangee,

Nice thoughts about Love.It conquers all.The Soul is immortal; a divine spark of God and our true Self. The physical sheath will pass away, as will the mind and everything else. The Soul itself is always pure, eternal ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)