Is it disrespectful for the Championship Team not to make the White House visit?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 6 years ago

Is it disrespectful for the Championship Team not to make the White House visit?

The NBA Champion Golden State Warriors unanimously voted as a team not to make a White House visit to the President after beating the Cleveland Cavaliers, as did Tom Brady and many of the Superbowl Champion Patriots. Do you see this as disrespect?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13577513_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Yes, I see it as disrespect. But I'm not bothered because I like to imagine the POTUS and everyone else at the White House has more important things to be doing than hosting adults who play athletic games real well.

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And are way overpaid.

2. Alternative Prime profile image58
      Alternative Primeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

lol ~ Yup, Pseudo-President Donald "Milhouse" Trump does indeed have more "IMPORTANT" things 2 do like Maniacally "TWEETING" himself & others STRAIGHT into Prison ~ The U.S. Presidency has been Rendered IRRELEVANT by Donald john ~ GO Warriors

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So perfect a Hollywood supporting another Hollywood type (NBA). I just love it. It is so hip to be anti-Trump.

3. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

No. I think if the team decides not to visit the White House, it's fine. Sports teams are businesses that have to protect their brands. Deciding not to associate their brand with a certain politician or party is a wise move.

Certainly our current President understands the concept of protecting the brand, and would understand this business decision, unless he is a hopeless egomaniac who needs the constant parade of adulation from winning sports teams.

Do you mean like our last one did? Just saying.

2. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Clearly, sports teams did not see the association with "our last one" as something that would tarnish their brand. Just saying...

Lisa your point is well taken. Those who seem to hate POTUS are those that kind of embrace the "gang" style notion in pro sports. 20 year olds' who buy 200 dollar basketball shoes and 100$ T-shirts.
      But where are the greats like Kobe in these matters

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
      wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Greg, It always amazes me how the flag waving patriots who champion free speech always cry foul when that speech doesn't fit their narrative. The days of Ozzie & Harriet are over. And they ain't comin' back.

5. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nice try at a dog whistle, Eric, but I'd hardly call Tom Brady someone who embraces that notion. As I said: there's no financial updside to associating a sports team brand with the current POTUS. Gangsta? Hardly.

6. Ericdierker profile image45

Aye Lisa, patriotism as you point out seldom has a profit margin. Warmongering maybe. Hating maybe. But common respect is not what you teach your children if you only want them to become rich and famous like the Kardashians. I get it.

7. jrk1121 profile image52
      jrk1121posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I would have thought the whole taking a knee fiasco would have taught sports teams, in general, to stay as far away from politics as possible.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 6 years ago

I think it is reflective of our society now. It might seem rude but nowadays Joe stock clerk who never even got his GED and is minimally literate can go on line and know more than the president. This last generation or so just think that POTUS' are dumb and they are smart.
    We have dummied down so much.
    We have to respect people for their opinions now even if they are based on gossip and without effort to form them responsibly - because everyone deserves our respect except our leaders in the greatest democracy ever known. It is bizarre.
    So no I do not think it disrespectful - but believe me if NBA fans are as lame about politics as the players -- you could lose a lot of fans by going.

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

The greatest democracy ever known is that which existed here prior to the European Invasion of 1492. You do not know this because you have accepted the lies that have been seeded throughout a system based on the false notion of white supremacy.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie maybe your Native American nation. But out my way the tribes were not democratic at all. A matriarchal ownership and a council that ruled hard. Chiefs were not voted in. Either inheritance or victory over the other. Counting Coup.

5. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 6 years ago

I think it disrespectful not to accept an invitation to the WH. However, Coach Steve Kerr told Monte Poole with NBCSportsBayArea back in November that if Trump were elected, and if the Warriors won the championship, he would not accept a White House invitation to visit.  As of yet no invitation was extended. Guess, they won't have to worry about turning it down.

I actually am with President Trump on this one, why extend an invite to a team   that have already made their feelings clear. Just my opinion, but I appreciate the fact that Trump's "don't let the door hit you" wonderful... Maybe next year the winners will be from a state that has a bit more manners.

If it was the coaches choice it is very wrong to stop the whole team from going. It should be up to the individual players, if they are man enough to show their feelings. It isn't likely that the whole team feels the same as the coach. But, then agai

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Donald Trump has been presiding over the killing of Syrian civilians since he took office. Now, would you consider the killing of your entire family to be a notch above "bad manners"? I certainly would.Trump, and his motley crew belong in prison.

3. gregas profile image82

Ronnie, you should be in prison for treason.

4. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ronnie wrenchBiscuit Obama turned his back on 500,000 Syrians It's called genocide. Fact. You should actually do some research before you spout off your hate. This is why dem's lost, and will not see the WH again on in a very long time.

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Genocide of Christians NOW seems like secondary to genocide of others 100 years ago. I have never seen a Jew hate all Germans like Ronnie hates all Americans. It is just bizarre. Ronnie please point toward love and not hate.

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

I did not refer to the American people as criminals.You are creating a strawman or U didn't read my post. Some  say that willful ignorance makes one an accessory to a crime, but I made no such allegation. U don't like free speech or the the truth.

7. gregas profile image82

What you say is YOUR TRUTH according to YOUR BELIEFS.

8. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Greg,The United States gov. has been killing innocents  in the M.East 4 over 20 years. Make me out a liar if you can. Tens of thousands of dead bodies say otherwise. Sharon, Obama was just another puppet. I don't subscribe 2 evil, but only freedom.

9. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie you are so consumed with hate and imprisoned by it that you cannot decipher real freedom. Freedom is not of the physical bondage but of that thing that binds each one of to to each other. A hand out to you would be spit upon.

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

No, I am consumed with the truth. I am not bound by tyrants. I know perfectly well what freedom is. You are afraid of freedom, because what you have become accustomed to cannot exist in the free world.

11. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh so now I get it. The idea is like one of those Christians who know the truth but the rest of us are fools. Kind of like the Jihadists that kill gays.
      Just another day and another group to hate. Ho hum. Raymond Billygoats is herding the other way

12. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

No, not the "rest" Eric. U don't represent the people who have educated themselves about the status quo. In fact U are quickly becoming a minority. Our numbers are growing by the day.I am the future.

13. Ericdierker profile image45

Hey Ronnie what do you think about the 6th in Georgia? Folks are going your way in revolt.Looks to me like they are still rebelling against your way of looking at things.32 state's legislature Republican? Yelling does not change the statistics.

14. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Over $50 million has been spent on that ridiculous farce. And what do the people get for their money? Another frigid puppet to help perpetuate the oligarchy. It's hard to blame the politicians when ignorant people keep  believing their vote matters.

15. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie we are in agreement here. I sent a mail off to someone who directed much of that money being sent there.
      I told her, that the day is coming when the candidate with that dough builds two libraries and wins by example.Press will cover it.

16. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Who knows Eric? Maybe next week we'll be hanging out together, drinking a beer, and comparing notes on the bar maid.

17. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sharon, Great comments. Unfortunately, the Real USA doesn't reach sea to shining sea anymore. There is nothing Golden in California, unless you are the tax man. smile

18. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie, sorry I missed your comment.We would have to be off the res. They are still a "dry" place. Have no doubt that I agree with you on the unjust treatment of The Din'e. But to me, Native Americans are not a group. Your nation is different.

wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years ago

No, it is not disrespectful at all. It would be disrespctful of the American people if they did go. Just like the great Colin Kaepernick, and the great Muhammad Ali before him, they are standing against tyranny. Many people are starting to awaken and realize that the true terrorists,the true enemy of the American people, and the citizens of the world, are the criminals who have hijacked a democratic republic in defiance of the U.S. Constitution.

1. Ericdierker profile image45

You always amaze me Ronnie how you can hate so much and yet still have energy to write. You are a credit.

2. Sharlee01 profile image81

T. won due to people "Awakening" to the fact that we need change. He and you apparently feel that any and all that voted for him are criminals? I have never broke a law, I am well educated and take offence at your glib insult. Time for you to wake up

Ronnie it appears that you hate me because of my skin. What my parents and grandparents may have done to people you have never met.I am not bad because of what happened to ancestors you never met, or Syrians in the mix of hating Christians and killin

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric,telling lies comes natural 4U. I haven't claimed to hate anyone, and all you are doing is creating a strawman. I am also a white man as well as Indigenous, so how could I hate U 4 your skin? U hate the truth. Get over it.

5. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie you have spoken hate. I do not condone hate. You insist that white people are bad. And that America is bad. Own it like a real American or be a coward. My Navajo people laugh at your wanta be BS.You speak nothing of oneness with earth.

UR the one who insists on telling lies. America is not synonymous with "white people". All Europeans are not thieves. All Europeans are not war mongers. U insult the white man by suggesting a stand against evil is a stand against the white race.

7. Ericdierker profile image45

Ronnie point well taken. You are correct. When I was growing up they slammed all "indians" as one group. Pima, Piute, Haualapai, Navajo, Hopi. We can no more label all Caucasians than we can label all of the natives.Same with NBA.

8. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Eric, the difference is that the NBA is a totality, and their teams represent their values. The NBA like all professional sports have rules, and regulations imposed on all the teams and players.

7. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12740494_f260.jpg

I think it is more than disrespectful, it is UnAmerican and it doesn't meet the requirements of being called a Champion. It also reflects on the NBA which is a professional sports organization. There is nothing professional about what the GSW did, especially when they made up their mind before Trump was even elected president. That proves that they don't really care what kind of a job he does as president.

I don't follow any sports, so I really don't care about them. If  I did care, I would never go to any game played by these kind of pseudo Americans.

What exactly is their message, what are they trying to say? I doubt if they know, and how important can it be for the country and the people. Perhaps sports teams should be conferenced by Red or Blue. Those rooting for America to win, and those hoping that America will fail.

California is filled with the latter. And lets hope that America never becomes a California.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81

bradmasterOCcal   Thank God there is lots of miles between the coasts, and great people with wonderful innate common sense. This is why we have the protection of the electoral college. We will be heard, and change is coming like a freight train.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Sharon, unfortunately, I grew up in NYC and live in CA. The only thing I would change about the EC is the all or nothing, to a pop split.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

America failed when  it enslaved the African for 400 years. America failed when it committed genocide against my people and stole an entire continent. The only change  coming is an end to an evil empire, and all of those who support perpetual war.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

Sharlee that is a fine comment. People nowadays just are blind about state's rights. Even the notion of a national "popular" vote is moronic. Really? We want a popular person? The EC is critical. They did not figure that out by accident.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)