Do you contend that poor people in America are ENTITLED, want others to support

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (35 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Do you contend that poor people in America are ENTITLED, want others to support them, & give them

services which they believe are rights such as housing, food, medical care,  college education,& related services?  Why?  Why not?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13178377_f260.jpg

2. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 6 years ago

I believe some poor people are doing all they can to improve their current situation. This mindset strives to do better and has a very hard time accepting assistance. They were brought up to do it on their own, without relying on others and it would never cross their mind, to look to the Government for help. This group typically believes in a higher power and they're strong in their Faith.

Others in this position, do not attempt to improve their current situation, they do not believe that it is their place to improve their own situation, it is easier to blame others for it. They look to others for help which they expect...more than appreciate.
    Somewhere along the line, they were taught or came to believe that the Government exist to prop them up for life. Sadly, The Gov is their higher power.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ab, the whiners on hp have put your comment in the negative feedback. hp is the like CNN, ready to fold and dedicated to lies. Why should the whiners control the comments. Instead arguing the content of your comment they whine to hp.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Her claim is based on a fantasy, as I am sure no one has ever expressed to her the sentiment she claims. She is simply parroting the rhetoric of white privilege and a suburban mindset that has never experienced hardship above a broken nail.

3. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wrench, you nor anyone else that has a problem with my commentary on this subject, has a clue of my plight or of how I've dealt with it.
      You've assumed the worst of me, based on my appearance and you've pre-judged me.

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

You are mistaken.I have judged U based on your naive commentary,not your appearance. There is nothing honorable about a system that creates poverty.How people deal with said system is irrelevant.It is the system which corrupts, not the individual.

5. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is Truth that some look to God for things to be improved in their lives and it is Truth that some look to Gov for things to be improved in their lives.
      You and anyone that has a problem with that Truth can deny til Red, White or Blue, still true.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13592001_f260.jpg

Not really. Many millionaires and billionaires are self-made in the U.S. There are many "rags to riches" stories.
    Yes, the majority of people working or not would love to win the lottery! Most poor people want an equal opportunity to become "special".
    The vast majority of poor people are children, senior citizens, ill or mentally disabled.
    Rarely do you find a (healthy intelligent person with no children) living in poverty. When you do find them it's usually due to them making bad life decisions.
    With regard to entitlements most people believe if they pay taxes they deserve to get something back whether it's in the form of money or services. There is also a level of expectation a government of the people by the people would have a certain amount of compassion for those who are less fortunate.
    It's also the "Christian thing to do".
    A country that's unable to feed, clothe, and educate it's people is a "third world country".
    If a child is born to lazy drug using irresponsible parents do we punish the child? That's the challenge of ending such programs.
    The U.S. for example gives away billions of dollars in foreign aid every year as well as "forgive loans" that were made to other countries and few people frown. Charity begins at home.
    Companies, farmers, and other groups are "subsidized" by the government which is often called "corporate welfare" and is done without much fanfare.
    You recently posted a question about the less fortunate resenting successful people. Actually I believe working people are far more resentful of those who are poor and receive government assistance. It's as if they're being "rewarded" for making bad choices!
    (And yet none of us would want to swap places with them.)
    So called "entitlements" are nothing more than the government establishing a "floor" with regard to living standards within the country. Sadly some folks are content with living on the floor.

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are very correct in your premise.  There are indeed people who are happy "living" at a barely subsistent level.  They believe that this is normal & inculcate their children accordingly.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Grace, your comment is based on an imaginary stereotype. I doubt if any such person exists. If what you say was true poor people wouldn't play the lottery. Nobody "wants" to be poor except certain people involved in metaphysics or religion.

4. wmac profile image60
    wmacposted 6 years ago

Where is that line which divides meeting the most elementary needs of those who cannot provide for themselves and the folks with simple pleasures who are otherwise able to earn their own support but prefer the liesure of indolence.

I don't know where it is and I've seen no description which fits my view of common sense.  It is a movable line drawn by those who have the political power draw it for the purpose of garnering the votes they need to acquire or sustain that power.

America's inner cities are a glaring example of the abuse of that power.

1. profile image0
      johnmariowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The only way to truly measure a person's ability to provide for themselves is to access that person's medical history. However, a person's medical history cannot be accessed without the written consent of that person.

5. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

I find that most people who have the attitude that poor Americans are entitled, and only looking for a handout, have never actually met a poor person, or lived in a poor neighborhood, and don't understand their own privilege.

Growing up, most of us take certain things for granted: that our public schools will give us a basic education; that we'll work for extra money during high school, but not have to contribute to the family's income; that we'll be able to apply to a college somewhere, and get a degree; that we'll eventually get a job that will allow us to be self-supporting, and that comes with health insurance and a retirement plan or 401K.

None of that is true for poor people. They generally live in areas where the schools are substandard, and where the administration doesn't have the resources to reach out to kids who are in trouble, or failing. If a kid fails, and drops out, oh well. Nobody goes looking for them. If a kid has to get minimum wage job to help support the family, well, that's just the way things are. No college. No trade school. Just working at menial jobs, trying to keep body and soul together. Health insurance? There isn't any. Maybe there's an underfunded, overextended clinic in the neighborhood, where you can sit and wait for hours before someone can see you---but, since your boss says get your butt to work or you're fired, and there are 10 people waiting to take that job, you don't go, and don't get healthcare. Savings account? Nope. Most banks want a minimum amount in the account to open one, and want to charge you monthly to keep it open, Can't afford that, so you have to pay the check cashing place instead. And don't even get me started on housing conditions, landlords, and rent, or public housing!

Being poor is not being a little short at the end of the month. Being poor is being one paycheck away from being homeless, all the time. It's making a choice between keeping the heat on in the winter, and having something to eat. It's going without meals, because the diner where you bus tables got closed by the health department, and you're not getting paid, or getting leftover food to take home this week. It's never being able to see a doctor, or get a pair of glasses, or get your aching tooth fixed.

Being poor isn't sitting on your butt, waiting for someone to give you a handout. It's working 80 hours a week, at multiple low wage jobs, and never, ever getting a break, until you die from something a rich person would survive.

1. profile image0

I read that Trump wants to end funding for handicapped children in public schools. Innocent children with dyslexia would suffer simply because their families are poor.

6. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 6 years ago

There is a new class of poor people and they are the Trump supporters who live in the Appalachian hills.  They are the out of work coal miners and steel workers who are waiting for Trump to bring back coal mining jobs and steel working jobs.  They are the new "entitled ones" who think the country owes them their jobs back again.  Little do they realize, those jobs are not coming back for the simple reason, coal is no longer in demand.  It is being replaced with renewable clean energy and technology.

Trump is just leading them on.  But sooner or later, the rubber will hit the road and reality will settle in.

There are plenty of jobs out there, but they require the proper skill sets.  The opportunities are there, the people just need to retrain into jobs that are in demand.  It is difficult if you are sitting in the hills of Kentucky with your Klan of people and your ancestors go back several generations as coal miners and you are just waiting for your jobs to come back, because that is all you know how to do.

To make matters worse, many of them are on drugs in order to cope with their depression.  And to even make matters even more worse, they are the ones who are going to lose their health insurance when Trump care takes over.   

There is 4% unemployment right now.  That means 96% of the people are working.  It is just a matter of re-training the others who are out of work.  Many high-tech jobs today can be done from home via the internet.  You don't even have to commute to work.

1. profile image0

With all do respect, your assumptions about the unemployed are totally unfounded. Unemployment compensation only lasts for so long. Re-Training costs money. Somebody tell me how an autistic person with a 30 second attention span can get retrained.

2. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 6 years agoin reply to this

John: They probably can't. However, there are high functioning autistic's with jobs. The federal and state governments are in a perfect position to know what jobs are available and also to re-train people.  It would help the country

3. gmwilliams profile image85

Peoplepower, +++++++++++.

7. profile image0
    johnmariowposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not. The Republican politicians advocate a myth that everyone is able to overcome problems and achieve high goals. This myth is their security blanket. Admitting that there are people who are not capable makes these Republican politicians uncomfortable.

An entitlement is anything people are entitled to. All working people contributed to Social Security and therefore are entitled to Social Security when they retire.

Those who never had to nurse an elderly member of their family twenty four hours a day have no concept of what life would be like without Medicaid. If Medicaid did not exist, many people would have to give up their careers and stay home to nurse their elderly. That is --- unless they were able to pay in excess of $10000 a month in order to place the their elderly in a nursing home.

With regard to Medicare, those who advocate getting rid of Medicare should take a moment to figure out how much they would need in their IRA in order to live comfortably and pay for private insurance until they are eighty five years old. I think that if Medicare did not exist, the majority of workers would never be able to retire.

In conclusion, I realize that I've summed up the major reasons why I will never vote Republican.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the problem is healthcare, and the fact that since the 1950s we have cured any major diseases. We need separate insurance even with medicare. Also, need dental and vision. Prescriptions shouldn't be separate as that is really healthcare.

8. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Grace.....Through my experiences in life, I have to say that I have seen those individuals who actually DO feel "Entitled,"....clearly, in their way of thinking, someone-anyone-everyone, should feed, clothe, shelter, medicate & literally provide for them.
    These people are few and far between but usually come from 3 & 4 generations of families-on-the-continual-dole.  It's all they've ever known & never broke away or stopped the vicious cycle dead in it's track.  They do believe it's a right and never see beyond it.
    However, "poor" people.....the millions who live at poverty level for decades, despite how they may struggle & strive to survive, while doing their utmost to rise above, should be able to receive some "extras" in terms of basic necessities, food, heat & health care.  These people should not be left to suffer, starve or die of medical neglect, due to negative circumstances beyond their control. Such a situation is unacceptable and we can never allow this to occur in our country of such enormous wealth. It's seriously unthinkable.
    There is a major, notable difference between the 2 examples above. Yet, quite frankly, little is done to improve the status quo for either..nor for the millions in other circumstances such as those mentioned in comments here; the elderly, children, mentally ill, etal.
    If there is ever going to exist a stark change in this, Grace, the work toward getting there will be an astronomical task of all forces joining in a massive plan/movement and the willingness on all sides of this issue to reach the ultimate goal.
    A thoughtful question.  P.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, Grace!  Have a safe & sparkly 4th!

2. gmwilliams profile image85

Thank you, Paula.  You also!

3. Nyx LM profile image60
      Nyx LMposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a great response. It's well thought out and very respectful.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your comment, Liz.....Peace to you, Paula

5. Misfit Chick profile image77
      Misfit Chickposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Great response. I think things stay stagnant bcuz the way we do things hardly ever improves, while we're all so busy arguing about whether or not anyone is 'entitled' & for what. Can't pull weeds w/o tools & those cost money. We barely mainta

9. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

To use the term, "are entitled" is not the reason those people need support.  Some may not.  Some may be, in the Australian vernacular, "bludgers."  On the other hand, a great many people do need the support of the community at large, that is why they get it.

In a lot of Third World nations there are no social-service and taxes going towards helping people who are in the category you're referring to.  The result?  Not only widespread poverty, but the widespread belief that if most of the world is filled with people indifferent to my plight, I'll ensure I have a big family to look after me when I'm sick or too old to look after myself.   Hence, the world population 'explosion' which, unless checked, will finish humanity as a species.

Are you your brother's keeper?   Your answer that question will determine not only the way you think about others but the way you think about yourself.

"Entitled?"   No one is entitled.   There are no "special" people in this world.  But all are deserving of love and care.   And that's why, despite the pessimism of the Mass Media, the world is becoming a better place.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image68
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Tom, your ans. should win Best, this is exactly what I was trying to say and you said it best.

10. wba108@yahoo.com profile image76
    wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years ago

To be entitled to the goods and services produced by another person is akin to slavery and no such right exists in the Constitution. The rights in the Constitutions are the rights of law abiding citizens to be unmolested by their government and others.

+++++++++++++.

11. rbenjamin profile image76
    rbenjaminposted 6 years ago

Entitled - "Believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."

I wouldn't say food, shelter or access to affordable medical care is really a privilege or special treatment.

12. Jynzly profile image64
    Jynzlyposted 6 years ago

No, I am against mendicancy, this lowered the true values of a human being. Nobody is entitled to take advantage of anybody's fruit of labor. Let them labor themselves to live a decent life. Equality for these type of mentality is deluded and fallacious in its true meaning. Equality is supposed to be equality in potentials though they may differ in nature. Equality means everybody is born with potentials to develop in order to live decently. No two persons are equal in everything, some have sharp intelligence that could instantly notice opportunities for success but many if not majority of people have dull minds that cannot even see what is before their eyes but this is not an excuse for them to grab what they cannot have.

Great answer!!!!

2. Jynzly profile image64
      Jynzlyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Grace.

13. profile image0
    newlifeministriesposted 6 years ago

I have read a lot of the comments below and would like to have the opportunity to answer the question about the "poor" being entitled.

Looking at the history of how this country has viewed the treatment of the less fortunate will help shed a light. As I have read, America instituted poorhouses in the 19th century as a place where people who were ill, homeless or next to homeless and were taken care of by clergy or some appointed person in the community. The poor worked for food or low wages to pay off their debt.

Due to the Social Securities Act,  it eliminated the poorhouses. That power was taken away from the Church and local communities. It created an environment that the less fortunate will no longer have to work to earn their keep.

In the 21st century, the government allowed the welfare system to be passed down from one generation to another and doesn't allow a person to rise out of their ashes to become successful in the workplace without telling that person they can only go so far. While it is true, there are some who work several part time jobs to make ends meet and there are others who may work under the table but at least they are working somewhere. It's not a matter of acquiring the "right" skills, every job has a learning curve of OJT (on the job training) to keep people working.

On a side note, I believe there is a lot of bias toward hiring people to do the right job. Otherwise, companies wouldn't have such a high turnover. Wouldn't you agree?

To finish answering the question, everyone deserves to have fair housing, food and clothes on their back. If we look at the current state of America, what would happen if the welfare system was eliminated all together? Would certain people find themselves back into the poorhouses or would the abled bodies hustle to gainfully find employment? What has changed between then and now?

The attitude of expecting something for nothing is nearly impossible when you visit a third world country or a country who has a dictator as a leader. People shouldn't be penalized for helping the less fortunate whether by money or helping to clothe someone.

At the end of the day, we can debate about it but using welfare as a means of support for one's lifetime is excessive and not the intended use of the system.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)