What do you think about the NBA/NFL players who kneel when our national Anthem i

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (112 posts)
  1. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years ago

What do you think about the NBA/NFL players who kneel when our national Anthem is played?

Is it to show their disdain for the lawmen of our country when they enforce our laws? Or their disrespect for our country?
    Are they teaching our children to disobey our country’s laws, teaching them there should be no consequence for breaking these laws?
    Were these players taught the same thing, were they taught to disrespect this country that allowed them to make mega-bucks to play instead of work, and now pass on that disrespect to our children?

2. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Shyron,  You know dear friend, this question needs to be discussed, despite how much emotion it stirs up on either side.  You are so correct to describe this as a form of blatant, public display.  Apparently it is so terribly important to certain people to make their statements, one way or another for all the world to see. 
    Thus, it should be expected that the "public" will react, express opinions of either agreement, opposition or in some cases, pure disgust.  I can be counted within that last group.
    This has been going on for some time now, been all over the news and opinions fly everywhere.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure of the original intention, reason or explanation for this behavior of "kneeling during our National Anthem."  (It's a non-verbal statement, of course, but precisely what is their statement?)
    You ask your readers what we think of this.  Personally, I view it as similar to some of what we've seen in the past, such as Flag-burning, protests and massive objection or refusal to comply with laws/American traditions.  I feel none of these actions result in positive response nor acceptance~~in fact, quite the contrary.  Frankly, they could be viewed by many as similar to the tantrums of children.
    In this case, perhaps they should be dealt with as "children."  Give them "time out," make them stand in a corner and take from them the things they value most, until they can see the error of their ways and behave like responsible, rational adults.

Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Paula, you said this so much better than I ever could.  I watch the games and see the blatant disrespect for the song that represents our country and I am sickened by it.
      Blessings my friend.

2. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion they are disrespecting our country, me and all who have given of themselves to protect their rights to play the games they play and get paid the ridiculous amounts of money they get. They are nothing but spoiled brats that feel they hav

3. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Surely it is their right to express themselves in this way? And surely you don't fight for only SOME rights, but all of them?

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why was Paula's answer....VOTED DOWN?!

5. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Grace, Up/Down Voting is a total sham.(I'm no longer hidden, as U can C) Any troll or jacka$$ can go from hub 2 hub, hitting Up or down w/o reading or commenting, just 4 fun or stupidity. Team needs 2 do away w/ the feature entirely! It's bogus.

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image68
      wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh Paula! You are absolutely wonderful. 6 days ago you commented on a Hub by Lamar Jones that covered this topic. You then thanked Lamar and then agreed with a racist commentator. Now you claim U don't understand why they protest.UR wonderful indeed.

7. fpherj48 profile image60

Ronnie, Yes, I AM wonderful Thank U. I told Lamar his words R beautiful.They R. I am PRO-Vets & I shared my opinion w/ Mike as such.U calling Mike a RACIST? I'm flattered U follow my every move.That makes U a stalker! Sorry hon, I'm spoken 4!smile

8. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I sure wish I could find a reasonable interview or article delineating what some are saying are the grounds and issues by/of one of the players protesting, from this season. I wonder of showing disrespect for no reason is protesting.

3. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 6 years ago

I'm sorry people, but I don't feel the way the previous people who  replied feel. As the saying goes, you don't know a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes.  Although I respect your comments.  The kneeling is not about money or patriotism. 

It is about the injustice of black people as they are treated by law enforcement and the justice system.  We have all seen and heard how police officers have gotten off  because of the senseless killings of black people.  They have gone through months of grand jury investigations to be set free when all the evidence points to their guilt.   

The kneeling has broken no laws.  In fact, the constitution provides for protest,  They are getting the country to realize that black lives do matter and this injustice is plaguing the whole country.

Trump is not acting presidential by playing to his base and saying these SOB players should be fired.  More than likely, he is using this as a distraction to take focus off of his ongoing Russian investigation and North Korea.

How patriotic is Trump? He went to a military school, because his parents said he was too unruly.  He never served in the military because he was supposed to have bone spurs in his heels during the draft for Vietnam.  After he was deferred, the bone spurs went away.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"After he was deferred, the bone spurs went away." What a wonderful miracle healing (LOL).  If so, fine, but I find it hard to believe.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Thanks Mike for your opinion, but I don't see it as black lives matter more than any other.  I see this as men who are disrespecting the song that stands for what my country stands for.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

SS, I have never heard anyone, even people in the BLM movement suggest that black lives matter more than any other. In fact, black lives have always mattered less to mainstream whites. The song glorifies the killing of blacks. Is that what U stand 4?

4. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Mike. To Ms. Shenko. No one says black lives matter more than anyone's. Opposing sides say that lie. The point is "black lives matter" is said because many treat them as if they don't.

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Mike, you are right kneeling has broken no law, BUT it did/does  break the rules of the NFL.
      How patriotic is trump? I would say about as patriotic as an atheist is religious.
      I do appreciate you and thank you for the comments.
      Blessings my friend

6. SABoardman profile image60
      SABoardmanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more, this is NOT about law enforcement this is about the idiot in chief at this point in time. He is doing this out of rage that he wasn't allowed to buy the Bills in 2012 or 2013 I don't remember which year. The nfl didn't want him

4. whonunuwho profile image52
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

It is both disrespectful and a terrible act that promotes discord in our country where there are already many deliberate attempts to stir racial hatred. It is a way to take control as a country is so divided. It has been going on before our very eyes for many years and we are mesmerized and blind to what is going on. It is past time to stand up and make protests for the right reasons. Our country is still great and we have much to be grateful for here. Those participants who do this should be made to sit-out a game since they don't want to be a part of our country's long-standing salute to the flag and National Anthem.

1. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Those football players probably wouldn't even be on that field playing if it wasn't for that American flag and the National Anthem.

Whonu, you are right this is great anyone who does not want to honor or Anthem/Flag should be made to stay in the locker room and if the still persist to protest during the Anther/Pledge of Allegiance should be fined and sit out a game each time.

3. Johnny James A profile image58
      Johnny James Aposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The U.S. had both the Flag and National Anthem when the NFL still barred blacks from the NFL. Therefore, the flag and anthem have nothing to do with these players being on the field. Also, the Pledge of Allegiance is for the "Flag":  NOT then Anthem

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Greg, thank you for answering this question, you are probably right and they get paid for playing their games, no work involved.

5. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

The genocide of over 100 million Indigenous, the 400 year enslavement of African and Indigenous people, the theft of an entire continent, the refusal to make reparations. racist posts on Hubpages.Gee, maybe those things stir racial hatred too!

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Ronnie...I am able 2 respect UR opinions & I do try 2 tolerate UR intense anger & bitterness...BUT, that ugly chip on UR shoulder is beyond immense & very OLD, WORN & TIRED. How do U function in such bleak darkness & self-pity? Tr

7. gmwilliams profile image85

He's right in his premise.  Why vote this intelligent answer DOWN?!

8. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

I function because my ancestors are with me. They have not abandoned me, as I honor them and rebuke the progeny of evil. I am not only sexy, but I am the essence of Love. People are angry and bitter about a flag. I speak against murder and genocide.

9. fpherj48 profile image60

No one voted Ronnie's answer down. I'm trying 2 tell U, Grace, crazy trolls run through the Q&A section, clicking "thumbs" at random.I've written HP Team twice about this problem now. Maybe 1 day they'll take some corrective action.

10. Alternative Prime profile image57
      Alternative Primeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TROLLz Constantly "Vote Down" my Comments which is actually a TRIBUTE to how much he/she/they FEAR the TRUTH ~

11. gmwilliams profile image85

@Paula, I wasn't talking about Ronnie's answer.  I was talking about whonunuwho's answer which was eloquent.   Ronnie's answer is the same old insane diatribe against America.   Whonunuwho's answer was once hidden.   Now, my answer was voted down!

12. fpherj48 profile image60

OH...I see, Grace.  But in any event.....I rest my case about the THUMB trolls.  No matter what, there always has to be those few bored & clueless clowns who live to prove just how problematic they can be w/o being shot on sight!....

13. Ericdierker profile image46

I wonder what the reasonable time period for carrying hate is. Like Croatia and Iraq -- generations and generations. Like for English for the Revolution we should hate them and protest against them. Like radical Islam?

14. Alternative Prime profile image57

Shyron ~ This is your question and I respect that, but I would suggest that U "MODERATE" Violent Language / Over-Tones that seem 2 imply certain persons should be "SHOT on Sight" 4 simply Engaging in ONLINE Participation. Just a Suggestion

15. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Whonu, Thank you and Bless you for your answer.

5. cvanthul profile image90
    cvanthulposted 6 years ago

While I respect the players' rights to protest for something they feel strongly about - police violence and inequality - I feel there are much better ways to make a difference. Many of these players grew up in impoverished neighborhoods. With their own resources and those available to them, they have an opportunity to make a huge difference in the lives of thousands of children. Only a fraction do. Kneeling in protest without taking advantage of all of their resources to make the changes they want is tantamount to saying, "Here's a problem but don't ask me to get my hands dirty fixing it." They will get their sound bites and stir up the country, but not for the very thing they protest against. If they want to kneel, fine, but in the off-season and bye weeks go back to the old neighborhoods, mentor kids, sit down with police and city officials to hash out resolutions, teach kids to expect better from themselves so they can escape poverty. Let those actions be the ones that are emulated. Those are the ones that truly make a difference.

Cristina, thanks for your opinion.  Yes this is a good idea, especially if they do not want to pledge allegiance to our country
      a country that is giving them so much.
      Blessings my friend

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Cristina.

Here you have presented nothing but a strawman. The truth is you don't know exactly who is doing what and where. But you paint a great narrative for racists.

4. cvanthul profile image90
      cvanthulposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do tell, Ronnie. Do you consider me a person of no substance or integrity, or do you consider my proposal and stance on the issue an attempt to sidestep the issue? Be careful of judging people when you know nothing about them.

My comment is based on your own words. You commented that  "only a fraction" of the protesting players make an effort to help when the cameras aren't running. You created a false narrative that appeals to the uneducated racist mentality.

6. cvanthul profile image90

Actually, "Only a fraction do." No mention of cameras or race in that statement. I'll take that one back as it appears roughly 80% of ALL athletes contribute in some way though their foundations average less than 65 cents on the $ in actual donations

7. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Many of the players, not a fraction, contribute not only to their communities but others in need. Many have set up their own foundations, donate food, toys, furniture, etc. to those in need and help foodbanks as well.

8. cvanthul profile image90

I did correct myself, H C. The statistics on how much money their foundations give is not very good, however.

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Cris, whatever integrity you lack or possess notwithstanding, I understand that U lack a deeper measure of empathy. The issue is not poverty but "murder". Innocent civilians R being murdered by cops. But U would greatly improve under my tutelage.

10. Ericdierker profile image46

Yes Ronnie you are correct to a point. Black on black crime is atrocious. We need to work on that. Drive by's killing baby's is horrendous and is about 10 times higher than cop on any civilian deaths. Crime on blacks is horrible.

11. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, You are parroting a racist myth. Black people don't kill black people at any higher rate than whites kill whites.  In fact black on black crime has actually decreased in recent years.

12. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

That's right, RW: Inter'l BusinessNews and USNewsWorldReports; 9/29/16, FBI figures show 2001 to the end of 2015, white-on-white homicides outnumbered black-on-black, except 2005-2007. Beginning 2015, both types of homicides increased, w-on-w higher.

13. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

PI, Thank You! Eric's rhetoric is based on gang related violence in the inner cities. I grew up in the country. The black people I knew were farmers or worked in local factories. They didn't kill each other, nor did they live in poverty.

14. Ericdierker profile image46

Patti you know that that is based on numbers not racial percentage correlation. But if my community and home are reflective at all, it is probably mute as mixed race now seems almost the norm. Me too RW.

15. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

By 2016, 89% blacks killed by blacks and 84% whites killed by whites, not significantly different at about 5%, but number of b-b and w-w are statistically significantly different: 17% difference, more w-w (BLS, FBI, NIH data).

6. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13147924_f260.jpg

These NBA/NFL players are exhibited immature, if not disrespectful behavior.  America is the greatest country in the world.  There are opportunities in America which aren't present in many places in the world.  The American flag, believe it or not, is a symbol of freedom & democracy for Americans & others in the world.   Soldiers have fought & died for the American flag!

The American flag is to be respected & revered.  Yes, the NBA/NFL players are disrespecting America on the verge of blasphemy.  If America wasn't a great country, why do millions of refugees & immigrants come to America?  Because it is a land of immerse opportunity when one can reinvent oneself particularly socioeconomically & educationally.

It is amazing how entertainers & athletes who make millions complain about so-called injustice of America.  They strategized, organized, & worked smart to achieve their goals.  The problem is that many people want it easy & when they face difficulties, blame America instead of themselves.  Well, if they don't like America & what is symbolizes, they should.......simply.....LEAVE!

1. Alternative Prime profile image57

lol ~ "BLASPHEMY"?? NFL & NBA?? Really?? ~ Then U must think Trump the Un-hinged Russian Puppet of a  "National DISGRACE" is Satan, he "Insults, DEGRADEs & Disparages" the USA almost every day ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSxwR9kCbZ0

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Aiyana Jones (black) was murdered by a cop while sleeping on her grandmothers couch. Tamiir Rice (black) was murdered by a cop 4 playing with a toy gun. Samantha Ramsey (white) was murdered by cop because she was at a party. But U cry about a symbol?

3. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just out of curiosity, which opportunities does America have that aren't available anywhere else? The chance to be berated on twitter by the president, maybe?

Anyway, just b/c something is great doesn't mean no improvements are needed.

4. gmwilliams profile image85

Why was this intelligent answer.......VOTED DOWN?!  This is beyond ridiculous.   Do those who RESPECT/REVERE the America flag get such VITRIOLIC disdain?!  What has America come to?

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Thank you gmw, for your opinion.

Thank you again AP, trump is a total disgrace.

6. Ericdierker profile image46

Ronnie you should list the %1000 per cent more Blacks killed by blacks every day.
      And you should probably include the known very high percentages of Alcoholism and Spousal abuse by Native Americans.
      Or do they get a pass due to Great great grandpa?

7. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, In other words U have no rational argument. The issue is police brutality. If you can't stay on topic get off the thread and go over to StormFront. As far as I know you don't have to wear a sheet in order to join.

Ronnie please keep up. You say that is what it is about. What does one single player protester publicly say what it is about? Just one from this season Ronnie -- otherwise it is all about you as usual. No one said what you say.

9. Alternative Prime profile image57

This "NFL Thing" is just a RUSE by Trump 2 DIVERT from his "Corporate WELFARE Tax Cut" Scam ~ Eric ALWAYs Neglects 2 mention that the VAST Majority of VIOLENT Crimes in the USA are commited by CHRISTIANs with papers or a derivative thereof

You act all cool while just tonight we will have 4 black on black murders in your hood. That is disgusting and on you AP. You talk tough but twenty miles away black boys die. You are a killer by neglect.

11. Alternative Prime profile image57

As usual, you're WRONG Eric ~ The VIOLENT Tone is set by OUR Soon 2 B REMOVED Pseudo-Pres who actually signed a bill so the Mentally ILL can Buy GUNz ~ The FAKE Trump Pseudo-Admin has FOSTERED a HISTORICAL UpTick in TERRORISM / Violence

12. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, Over 50 innocent people were just murdered in Las Vegas by a White Euro-American Terrorist. Since this was a Country Music concert, I assume most of the victims are white. This type of white on white violence doesn't fit your racist narrative.

13. Alternative Prime profile image57

Ronnie, those don't count 2 CONervatives with "Selective Memory" ~ Eric is usually Incorrect but I'm glad 2 C he made it thru another day just miles from the SO. Border ~ If Mr.Trump is NOT a Russian PUPPET WHY is he SABOTAGING the NFL?

14. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

AP, Hopefully Eric will run for President. He appears to be on the cutting edge of clarity and compassion, with a deeper understanding of the important issues of our time.

7. Larry Fish profile image67
    Larry Fishposted 6 years ago

I have mixed feelings about this question. I was born and raised to respect the flag and the national anthem. It is a symbol of American patriotism. I will stand when I am at an event, at attention, and place my hand over my heart. That is what I will do.

I do understand the ones that kneel during the national Anthem are protesting and I respect the fact that they are doing it peacefully. Many protests lately have been violent and violence is never the answer. I will not condemn the ones kneeling, but I will say I don't agree with it.

1. Ericdierker profile image46

I agree with this to an extent. But I wonder. I do like the peaceful nature.
      And I will not watch or go to an NFL game until it stops. That is my peaceful protest with my wallet. Actually boycotts are my favorite protests. Solidarity Rocks!

Larry thank you for your patriotism and your comment on this.  I was taught that both the flag and anthem represents all Americans and we should honor both.   
      Blessings my friend

3. Eazyjay 30 profile image60
      Eazyjay 30posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well......you respect the national anthem but other people seem to not being in the same track that's awkward. It's right for you not condemned them as you never know why do they protest as long as they are protesting peacefully then thanks God.

8. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I would like to remind everybody that Blacks are not the only people in this world who have suffered from hatred and prejudice.  I would also like to remind you that NONE of those others every used our flag or our anthem to push their agendas. 

Jews, for example, were almost eradicated in Nazi Germany.  They came to this and other countries with nothing and were hated as much if not more than Blacks.  Did they spit on the flag?  Did they "take a knee" when national anthems were sung? 

No.  They did not.  They didn't march or openly protest, either.  Instead, they worked hard, did without, sacrificed and educated themselves and their young so that they could lift themselves up and become respected and respectful citizens.

From nothing, they recreated themselves into the doctors, lawyers, educators and other useful members of society that help not only themselves, but also their communities and countries.

Yes, many people of color are treated poorly in this country.  Jews still suffer as well, but not nearly as much because of what they've made of themselves.

Let's also remember that many police officers have been murdered on our streets in recent years.  So it is not just Blacks who suffer injustices.

However it IS Blacks who, while "protesting", have managed to divide this country even more than it was before.

I don't like what these football players are doing because of the way they are doing it.  There are many other ways they can find to protest effectively and there are much better ways for them to help their people other than just "bending a knee".

Of course they have the right to protest if they choose to do so, and I will always support their right to do it.  What I will not stand for is to have my flag and my most cherished traditions used so that Blacks or anybody else can push their agendas.

Believe it or not my good friend Jonathan Livingston was a Jew. He charged ahead during one of our protests and was beaten severely by the pigs. My friends forget this inconvenient truth. I slung him over my shoulder and raced to safety.

2. Alternative Prime profile image57

Please B REMINDED that 2 my knowledge, African AMERICANs R the only HUMANs to be DRAGGED from their HOMELAND & Enslaved here in the USA ~ Of EQUAL Atrocity is what happened 2 OUR Native Americans & YES the Holocaust is an UNFORGIVABLE Sin

3. Ericdierker profile image46

Yes AP just start from the start. What white tribe got money and sold the other tribes rather that killing all men and slaving all women?

4. Alternative Prime profile image57

A HISTORY Lesson for U & Mr. Trump ~ OUR European Fore-fathers CORRALLED African Humans , Shackled them 2 ships, Delivered them 2 "Auction Points" in the U.S. where they were SOLD ~ Thereafter, they LOST their FREEDOM, Dignity & LIVEs

5. Ericdierker profile image46

Hey AP look up the Indigenous people's track record pre-revolution time. Look up the genocide and the slavery part. Maybe about half the tribes/Nations were peaceful but they paid the ultimate price.

6. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, you present the argument of an adolescent. Based on your warped logic, all rapists should get a free pass since men have been abusing women forever! Crimes committed by the Indigenous, real or imagined, do not mitigate the evil of Colonialism.

7. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Thank you Sondra, I really appreciate your comment.

9. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

My understanding is the NBA/NFL players are protesting racial injustice, as well as lending their support to Black Lives Matter.

I guess. The narrative seems to be "developing" and/or changing as more people ask "what the hell" is going on with the all the kneeling.

Most football fans just want to watch football. They, including myself, don't quite see the point in having to watch politics played out on the football field. So you don't like racial injustice. Okay, neither do I. So now what? How is kneeling actually helping anybody?

NBA & NFL players make outrageous salaries; they are highly indulged and live excessive lifestyles. I'm glad they make good money. That's great. But what are they doing to help poor black communities? How does kneeling and doing nothing else help anyone? From what I can see, all it seems to do is get Black Lives Matter supporters and the media more riled up than ever. And it is never a good thing when BLM, which advocates for violence, decides to riot, create havoc, and destroy property, which in turn, hurts communities. 

My point is that we should not be stuck in a 50's mentality. It's now 2017. Things have changed for the better for many minorities even though there is still work to be done. Just look at all the black players, senators, lawyers, teachers, businessmen and doctors in America. Not every minority is "underprivileged" because change HAS occurred. We need to move forward and not be stuck in the past.

Anyway, maybe if all these kneeling players and managers were to start doing some significant community work to help all poor people and work with the police, then I am certain that more Americans will then "get the point" of players choosing to kneel.

Otherwise, the whole thing is a waste of time, and frankly, kind of lame.

So, unless they put their time and resources where their "knees" and mouths are, then we're simply witnessing a demonstration that means nothing. If they really wanted to make a difference they could get up off their knees and do something constructive to help those who  actually need help. They have the resources. They can make the time. May as well put it all to good use. Then more of us can take the kneeling thing seriously.

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

I feel that my humanity and understanding of racial injustice has as much to do with my sexiness as  it does with my educational background. Sexually frustrated people are more prone to be racist and lack a general understanding of social issues.

Thank you Yves, I appreciate you comment.
      Blessings my friend

10. Jason Lowery profile image61
    Jason Loweryposted 6 years ago

I think it is total disrespect. There is a place to protest and it is not during the National Anthem. The United states gave them the right to peacefully protest. I don't think that the people protesting really understand that. They are just following someone else that did it and want to get in on the attention that they are putting on this issue. I think they should all be fined and benched for each game they disrespect the flag.I guarantee that they would stop all this madness then. The only people that are really backing them is the sports owners, leagues, managers and etc.. They are also showing kids growing up that love the game of football or basketball, that it is o.k. to not stand for the national anthem and disrespect our country. This is the country that gave them all the education, and gave them all the fame that they are disrespecting. I feel for the other players that are not wanting to side with these people that are standing down and letting the leagues dictate whether they stand or not. Its horrible they don't realize that they are doing nothing but making them think that its o.k to be bullied as well. Stand up for your Flag and Country whether the man beside does or not. They made the decision to sit or not come out during the national anthem, then PLEASE make the decision to stand and not be just one of the guys standing for there team. AMERICA is your team.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

This SHOULD be THE BEST ANSWER! Amen!

"BEST"? Definately NOT ~ THE WORST Influence on Children is NOT Kneeling at a GAME, an ANTHEM which is meaningless under the current Pseudo Presidency, but the Pathetic Excuse in OUR White who is SABOTAGING the NFL, Humanity & ALL Our VALUEs

The Colonial Invaders did not hesitate to put my people in concentration camps and then  forcibly remove them from their homelands to make way 4 white settlement. They stole 20 million acres! Their progeny has the nerve to whine about disrespect.

4. Ericdierker profile image46

Ronnie the problem with that is that Cherokees wiped out rival tribes completely and held survivors as slaves. And then went to far as to buy Black Slaves in Barter. My friends are/were Hopi and Navajo. Ouch what Navajo did to pueblo tribes.

Great white Americans like John Brown fought  against racism. They didn't own slaves either. The guy who wrote the anthem fought "against" the abolition of slavery and was also a slave owner. We need a new song that reflects goodness,not evil.

6. Ericdierker profile image46

Yes Ronnie we need to wipe out all memory of the Sioux and Navajo and Cherokee slave owners for they were evil horrible people like Jefferson. If you go down the rabbit hole of hate you will only find yourself there with those you hate.

7. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Your problem Eric is that you associate racism with patriotism. Jefferson and Key are not representative of decent white Americans of that era. Furthermore, it doesn't matter what the Indigenous did. We aren't singing their songs at football games.

RW move out SW. Winslow vs. Hollbrook, Chinle vs. Gallup. City council meetings and radio have plenty of anthems in Hopi and Navajo. I guarantee you nobody disrespects that. Maybe a Hopi at a Navajo celebration. But those are nations.

9. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, UR making a ridiculous argument for the sake of argument. There is no Hopi or Navajo National Anthem. There aren't statutes all over the U.S.glorifying Indigenous people or Blacks who owned slaves and raped children like Columbus did.

Ah, thank you RW you made my point. They sing our national anthem, with pride and hand over heart. Real respectful Americans.
      You should STAND with them and honor all of our nations within a nation.

11. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, I did 6 years in the military. I can stand up, sit down, kneel, whatever I please. I've earned my seat at the table. But the majority giving lip service to patriotism have never served. They don't give a damn about veterans. Talk is cheap!

12. Ericdierker profile image46

RW that was just gov. service to you and a paycheck. You never saw combat or even the frontlines. Any fool can peel potatoes. What medal have you won and what rank are you? You are not Iwa Gima or a code talker. I served but do not brag, you do.

13. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Eric, It's funny U didn't know what the recent protests were about, but you know all about my military service during the Vietnam War. I am an American Hero! At least that's what Nancy Grace says.

14. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

Jason, thank you for the comment.

Grace, it is hard for me to choose the best answer, there so many, however that choice is mine to make.
      Thank you for your comments.

11. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
    wba108@yahoo.composted 6 years ago

Most see it as disrespectful, as I do. I think there's better ways to address the issue of racism, real or imagined. Also I don't see the statistic evidence to support their claims of widespread racism.

If they feel the country is as bad as they're making it out to be, why don't they just move?

I sure am glad that I do not live around any visible racism.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

Chinese Proverb: To a blind man nothing is visible!

12. iggy7117 profile image92
    iggy7117posted 6 years ago

This is the result of moral decay, The national anthem was taken out of schools so kids do not learn patriotism. Families eat fast food and family time is not spent at the dinner table, historic statues are torn down under the guise of offense. Foreigners are allowed into this country and want to change it to their beliefs, when they came here because it was better than where they were.

I feel this demonstration should not be allowed at the game, it should be done on their own time and not when people want to relax and watch a game. I am for cancelling football until this stops.

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image68

I agree! Football is way more important than innocent men, women, and children being killed by cops.

FACT ~ We've seen DRASTIC "Moral Decay" in the last 10 months but the NFL Protests R about "Racial Injustice" against humans of color ~ B-4 REMOVED, "Delusional Donald" will inevitably cause irreparabe DAMAGE 2 everything including the NFL

3. profile image48
      T-RexMposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This "demonstration" is unique because instead of actually disrupting things it --what--doesn't delay or interrupt the anthem or game at all--really--that can't be right because I feel so stressed and un-relaxed when I see people kneeling. Really?

13. Tom Lohr profile image94
    Tom Lohrposted 6 years ago

Here's the rub.
    Let's say there is an election coming and you have a sign for candidate X in your yard. Not an issue. Your property and your time.

Now, let's say come Monday morning you grab your sign, toss it in the trunk of your car and drive to work. When you get to your place of employment you take the sign out of the trunk and put it in front of your employer's building. Then you spend your 10 minutes at the morning meeting telling everyone why they should vote for candidate X. Big issue.

That's how I see theses clowns. If they want to protest outside the stadium no problem. Inside the stadium is a problem. Which is why I haven't watched a game since early last season.

Thank you Tom for you comment, I appreciate you.

2. profile image48

Again no disruption, no time delay--in fact YOU can look away!!! Hey that rhymes!
      Not a good analogy sir!

14. Ken Burgess profile image76
    Ken Burgessposted 6 years ago

First to clarify what it is about:
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media. "There are bodies in the street and people getting away with murder."  he said referring to police, and in other statements in support of BLM.   
    This is where it began, the NFL allowed it's 'show' to become hijacked by these political protestors, by extension it supports BLM and disrespecting the flag, regardless of what they say, or how they try to explain it otherwise.  That's why the fans left, and they won't be coming back. 
    You can say... well people have a right to free speech.  They do.  But not in the work place when they are collecting a paycheck, then they have to do what their employer has set down as the rules, or they get fired.
    If the NFL had confronted this behavior at the outset, said firmly no such behavior would be allowed by anyone for any reason, and then suspended that player with a warning that further such acts would result in permanent suspension (like with failed drug tests) this wouldn't have ever become an issue.
    I used to be a pretty big fan of my team, and the NFL at large, I have paid to go to games, bought jerseys and jackets in the past, tuned in all the time to games, even when I had other things to do if it was a 'big game'.
    I don't watch the NFL anymore, this wasn't the only reason, but this was the big final reason that caused my divorce from it, never going back to it.  It made me aware, very aware, that I was supporting making some of the biggest a-holes, rapists, child beaters, in the world millionaires... and I am just not going to be part of that anymore.  Helping make people I would never allow into my house a multi-millionaire, I want no part of it.

https://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/228 … -socks.jpg

1. Reginald Thomas profile image92
      Reginald Thomasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I applaud you sir! Nicely said. I do believe that currently there is an awful lot of backpedaling right now on both sides.

Ken, thank you for comment, I really appreciate you.

15. Alex Ferris profile image66
    Alex Ferrisposted 6 years ago

I like to think about this. Imagine that you went off to war to protect our country’s rights and after a long tiring war the United States finally won. You and your friends finally get to go home and you are expecting a warm welcome and praise for your efforts. However, when you arrive home you see that there are people that are kneeling during the national anthem. The time that we dedicate to celebrate our country and the soldiers who fought to protect it has become a time to make a statement about a separate issue.
        There is a time and a place for protests, no matter what they are about. You can get a permit to have a parade in a town to gain support, you can stand on curbs handing out flyers, etc. The point is there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different opportunities for protesters to speak their mind that are presented even just on a daily basis. One of those times certainly is not during the singing of the national anthem. The national anthem is a way for us to celebrate our country, all of its accomplishments, and the soldiers who fought to protect it.
    The issue of racial equality is a blaring problem in our society, and it is something that needs to be resolved. Of course, everybody deserves to have equal rights, and the members of that protest have the right to protest for what they believe in. Although, to kneel during the national anthem is simply a sign of disrespect towards our country and our military. If it is an issue of gaining attention, it can be done somewhere else. It is not necessary to stop celebrating our great nation and the men and women who fought for it simply because you want more attention for your protest. As said before, there is a time and a place for protest, and during the national anthem is not one of those times.
    At least, that is my opinion.

1. Reginald Thomas profile image92
      Reginald Thomasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your opinion and agree. Nicely said!

Alex Ferris, thank you so much for your astute answer.  These men? are like kids who want attention and this is their way of getting it, they don't consider the Anthem as their Anthem or the U.S. as their country. IMHO

3. profile image48

I still feel as though they're thinking, it's not illegal, it's at their fingertips every Sunday, or in this case at their knees. They probably feel that this country's leaders have let them down as a people and this is a desperate time for them.

16. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Going through your Qs in order:

1) I think it is shameful and I'm glad to be hearing of more and more people saying they will not watch those games. Those players (and any others who are interested in this topic) should read "Out of America" by Keith RIchburg https://www.amazon.com/Out-America-Blac … 465001882.

2-3) I think we have to be careful not to say that all who kneel are disdainful of all lawmen and disrespectful of our country, though we have to give those possibilities fair consideration since their behavior calls these issues into question.

4) Yes, they are trying to teach children that, but to be fair I cannot say they all realize that is what they are doing. I do not think they have all thought this through like they need to, but at least some may have jumped on a deceitful bandwagon as with some in the black lives matter movement.

5) Yes, and no. This has something to do with the bandwagon thing again, at least in some cases, but when a person is "taught" something, that teaching comes from somewhere, though not always does it come from the same place for each person. No matter what, we are responsible for our responses to what we are taught and we need to ask ourselves if we've gotten all the facts and carefully connected the dots to the consequences of our responses.  Or, have we let ourselves be spoon fed and used by others to further an agenda we actually do not understand as we should before jumping into the fray.

In summary, those involved in this sort of thing need to be taught how to grow up. As unjust as it is, life is full of injustices. Women have known this for eons, and many learn how to work out the right balance for living within the parameters of life in this world. For instance, these choose not to constantly rage about it. They choose to dress modestly, partly so as not to contradict themselves when it's time to speak up in this country that allows them the freedom to do so. There's more, but to move on... Men who haven't yet learned it are beginning to do so in this new climate of accusations resulting in firings, shame, and more. The author of the book mentioned at the beginning has learned about growing up. It may take the collapse of the NFL/NBA, resulting in the loss of their unworthy megabucks to help these people grow up (all of them, not just the kneelers), but that's up to fans. Good for those who say no to supporting them! I hope they won't be fooled by false repentances.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)