Can the Democrats provide a candidate to challenge Trump in 2020? Who and on wh

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

Can the Democrats provide a candidate to challenge Trump in 2020?  Who and on what basis?

Already the rumors are swirling around about potential candidates for 2020 to run against President Trump.  I personally have heard Hillary (again,) Joe Biden, Bernie (again,) Kamala Harris, and even Michelle Obama (that's just a few off the top of my head.)  What will be the message that a Democrat can deliver to make their case in an America that's currently seeing an economic rebound, a high stock-market, and a general reduction in regulations?  On the counter side, will obstruction on both sides continue to a level which keeps the President from fully implementing his agenda? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13774965_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I'm sure they'll field a candidate. I'm also sure they'll lose, and they should lose. Their only platform is screaming racism, homophobia, xenophobia, islamaphobia (which is the biggest joke in history) at everyone at all times.

It's why they lost in 2016, and they've done absolutely nothing since then. They've got no message but hatred, mostly racist hatred aimed at white people, who they, as racists, view as evil.

RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Someone I know summed it up as a campaign based on "against" - anything the Republicans say or do, they are against.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Which isn't promoting anything. Myself, I'm totally against everything the Democrats want to do. I don't love republicans at all, but I hate democrats. My choice is clear enough.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
      wrenchBiscuitposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Reveres racism?  You are suggesting that a white person is necessarily evil. I don't hate all snakes; only the ones who are poison. If U don't believe all whites R racist and evil, then what makes U angry when someone identifies those who are?

3. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

Perhaps Elizabeth Warren can provide a challenge to Trump. I hear a lot of conservatives say she can't win, but I'm not so sure. She has charisma, even if she is "mean as a snake." Also, Warren has pretty much lead the anti-Trump resistance movement, and she loves a big, dirty fight. She's not afraid of a roll in the mud.

Consequently liberals who are still wailing about Hillary's loss will likely flock to her side, in part because she is a woman, but primarily because she speaks their language. The language of outrage and self righteous indignation.

That being said, I've no doubt she would be a disaster as a President. In the end, I don't believe she can beat Trump.That's the good news.

relying on outrage isn't really saying anything to the voters - I think she's waffled too much over the years to have enough credibilty and then there is the whole American Indian subject, which will certainly cause headaches

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Clinton relied on outrage, and it's not as if she has a clean record. Far from it. But I hope you're right Ralph.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Please , please , please ..............Oh I beg you all , Let it be Nancy Pelosi !

Can you imagine what she will say in another three years? A lot of her speeches today seem incoherent and rambling.

2. Carolyn M Fields profile image86
      Carolyn M Fieldsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If she can still walk and chew gum in 2020 . . .

5. Ken Burgess profile image75
    Ken Burgessposted 6 years ago

Bernie was popular because he ran FOR something more than AGAINST something, other than against Wall St. Corporate power in D.C.

The Democrats need someone who can promise Hope and Change, unite the divided country, bring it together, reach out to the opposite side of the aisle... all things Obama promised, it doesn't matter if he didn't do those things (easy enough to blame the Republicans and say its their fault), it doesn't matter if they were lies from the outset.... the important part is people believed it.

Clinton is toast, she has no chance. Warren is the opposite of someone who could sell 'Hope and Change' her schtick is divisive, she is the 'us against them' candidate if anyone is... it won't sell to the American people outside of the strong liberal havens of NY, CA. VA, etc.

Bidden has some skeletons in his closet that in today's world will not get kept in the closet.  These days of leaks and email exposures would doom him.

I don't know who they will come up with, if I were them, I'd find someone of Hispanic heritage who is personable... the Hispanic vote will be almost as important as white votes in 2020... if the Democrat Party becomes the party of the Hispanic descent, Spanish speaking Americans they can dominate...

If the Democrat Party continues to throw out white candidates that are known D.C. shills, like Clinton, Warren, Bidden, they most likely will continue to lose, fragment, and fail to unite enough Americans behind them.

The make-up of the country in 2020 will look as follows:
    White 56%
    Hispanic 26%
    Black 11%
    Asian 6%
    Native American & other - 1%

While there are always a percentage of people who cannot look past race, if that had been anything more than a minority of the population, Obama would have never been elected.  Back in 2008 whites were close to 70% of the population and blacks were only 13%.

However, if a candidate can rally Hispanics, and get them to come out in force, that candidate will have a decided advantage over Trump who would then need much greater than 50% of the votes from everyone else, and that wouldn't be likely.

I don't expect that the Democrats will do this however, I think Warren or someone as equally controversial to Americans who are not prone to liking the Progressive (some might call it extreme) selling points, will be chosen.

And should that happen, the Democrats will fail in 2020.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicat … ethnicity/

Great contribution to the discussion and I agree that the Hispanic population vote will keep growing stronger - a lot of how they will vote in the future likely depends on whether a comprehensive immigration reform is passed or not

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13124886_f260.jpg

None of those that you mentioned have any chance at all against Trump. Consider the fact that there is not one democrat in congress that is helping the US and Trump.

The democrats in congress are working in concert with the Rinos to bring down Trump even if it also takes down the country.

What has Elizabeth Warren done this year?
    What did VP Biden do in 8 years.
    What did Hillary do in 40 years.
    What did Bernie Sanders do this year?
    Kamala Harris was a corrupt AG for California, and unless people want the US to be run like CA they should avoid her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)