Do you have a personal relationships with Jesus Christ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (96 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ShaunLindberghposted 13 years ago

Christians often speak of having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

What does this mean? Please describe your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

What makes it a "personal" relationship?

1. rdlang05 profile image86
      rdlang05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any relationship is personal.  I tend to think this is more of a protestant term... so I'm not completely sure what it means... but I tend to think its stressing a relationship of feeling over a relationship of intellect.

I would say that yes, I do have a personal relationship with God, although it is not always warm and cuddly.  I get angry with God, I sin, I forget to pray.  But I know God, and I know Christ.  He died for our sins, is capable of infinite love, mercy, and justice, and is unchanging. 

There's my $0.02. ;-)

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your comment about stressing a relationship that is more feeling than intellect - that's what is was for me (I am ex-christian), and that's what I observe in other christians

2. profile image0
        ShaunLindberghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@rdlang05 Thanks for your post. May we take this a little deeper?

To keep it simple, I have a wife, son and daughter with whom I have personal relationships. Now each one has a different personality that I have come to know and love as we interact with one another. Each amazingly unique. 

I get to know each one through our daily interaction, not in a broad-strokes kind of way but in the intimate nuances of a close and loving relationship.

Is such a relationship with god possible? And if so, could you or anyone else give some examples.

My concern is the idea of a second hand relationship.  Knowing someone through someone else's report. I am not sure that really counts as personal.

1. rdlang05 profile image86

It seems you're question really is, "Is it possible for a transcendent and non-physical being to be intimate with a finite and physical being"... perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Anyway, Yes, I believe that is possible.  I believe that God loves each of us differently (yet perfectly), and each persons understanding and experience of God is different. 

How does this manifest?  God speaks to me in prayer, not in the sort of crazy way like I "hear his voice", but things are revealed to me, I get a feeling of peace, or something is communicated to me in way I myself wouldn't have been able to.  God speaks to me in Sacrament, he communicates his love and forgiveness in a way that is special to me whenever I receive him, or ask for forgiveness.  Finally, God is present in Scripture, His words have special meaning there that no one else interprets quite like I do.

Hopefully this answers your question.  It's a rather vague answer... but as St. Augustine would say, how CAN one speak about God using such limited language. 

Thanks for prompting the question.

2. profile image0

No.  It's like having an imaginery friend that one is convinced is real.  It's a "feeling" that god has spoken, not an actual voice.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I accepted Jesus in my life and I am filled with his holy spirit. Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is not only about a feeling. It is also a spiritual connection, and living a new lifestyle that reflects Jesus character.

1. getitrite profile image70
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So what's it like being in an actual relationship with Jesus, who is God, and all knowing?  He must, at times, depart some great, great knowledge.  If I were in a personal relationship with God, I think I would become extremely knowledgeable, being that this being is all knowledge.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

getitrite, I invite you to come back to Jesus for you to become extremely knowledgeable in his word again. God bless you!

NO. I meant REAL knowledge!
            Like this:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/starmisthalo/Aw.jpg

1. hanging out profile image60
              hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That means nothing to me.
              John 3:16   For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
              This will save my soul

happy equating smile

Any religion promoting slave-like submission is for the weak minded.

Only a delusional mind would believe the words written by primitive goat herders has any significance, while stating that real knowledge is insignificant.

Anyone asserting such blind adherence to nonsense should be extremely ashamed of themselves.

2. hanging out profile image60

knowledge puffs up, its a proverb. Often with knowledge people start to thinkin they know a lot of stuff and it goes to their head and makes them proud. This is a serious situation that God would like to avoid, so he adjusts the program to circumvent a greater problem.
          He does give huge insights but never does he give meat if milk is needed.

So you're saying that you are in a personal relationship with a person who deliberately keeps you ignorant and therefore easily controlled?

Sounds like an abusive relationship to me.
            You need to stand up to Jesus. 
            Tell him to share more of this superior knowledge, or you are leaving.

lol
              The big question is: what am i in this for?
              "What i get out of it"..... buzzzzz. wrong answer.
              I am in it to Love God.
              Yeah love him
              did you love your parents because they told you everything you ever wanted to know? or gave you all the stuff you wanted? Did you say, "Dad, if you don't get me an ipod i am leaving... lol. I love you dad but give me an ipod.
              This is the attitude God wants to abolish. Pride, selfishness, indignation, rudeness, greed.
              God says, "i will get you an ipod later maybe, in the meantime lets learn this other thing".
              okie dokie God.
              This is why your bitter, God didn't give you everything you wanted, when you wanted it. pride got in the way?

Don't be silly.  God is imaginary.  It would be ridiculous to love or be bitter at something that's make believe.

2. getitrite profile image70

I don't think I said EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know.  Just something profound.  He is Mr. God isn't he?  It would just be nice if He kinda acted like God. 

My parents could have shared alot more with me.  And it could have made me a better person.  When parents shelter their children from the world, and neglect and abuse them, it is not out of real love, but a need to control.

This is a form of abuse.
                Your God sounds like an abuser. Sounds like He's too insecure to be God. And some don't have the sense to see it.

3. rdlang05 profile image86

Please everyone, don't feed the trolls...

1. profile image0

who are you referring to as trolls?  The skeptics?

1. profile image0

I would hope rd is referring to anyone who contributes to this going downhill!

1. profile image0

nearly all the religious threads go downhill

2. rdlang05 profile image86

I'm referring to the people who post in a disrespectful or condescending manner in order to intentionally start an argument (not a discussion or dialogue) with the intent of defacing, ridiculing, or overzealously disproving others.

I don't mind if you're a skeptic, I welcome dialogue.... but please be civilized about it.

1. lcg4jc profile image70
            lcg4jcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your comment, I too long for civility amongst “hubbers”.
            I would also like it if “Hubbers” would allow the purpose of a specific topic to be upheld.
            For example this topic is under the heading Religion and Philosophy with the sub-heading Christianity, the Bible and Jesus
            The purpose under the sub-heading clearly states: Articles about living a Christian life, the meaning of the Bible, Jesus and His teachings, worshiping God, and other topics of interest to Christians.

Please, there are other topics in which you can start a discussion about your lack of faith. Kindly use the appropriate heading under which to place your declaration or statement. This is not in keeping with the purpose of this particular topic which clearly is meant for Christians and their interest; if you are not a Christian then kindly refrain from using this topic as it is not in keeping with its original purpose. Thank you

1. profile image0

so agnostics and those wanting to know about christianity are not welcome?

1. lcg4jc profile image70

No my friend I am not saying that, I am simply saying that it would be nice that if you start a discussion you start it because you really are interested in that subject.

Don't start a discussion just for the mere pleasure to get by acting as if your opinion is the highest in the land and everyone who doesn't think like you is stupid.

This particular topic is for people who are truly interested in Christian topics, whether they are Christian or not doesn't matter.

There should be amongst adults a way to be able to agree to disagree and to use the appropriate etiquette when discussing a certain situation.

Peace to you my friend. In the words of the infamous Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?" LOL

1. profile image50
                  paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this
          2. hanging out profile image60

wait till earnest gets off his ban.
            He is stuck on God killin people and Gods rules that promote death.

Hes a charmer lol
            Its has been very very quiet without him here.
            So nice not to wade through his hate posts every third post.
            i, for one, am elated!

1. profile image0

I don't see Earnest as hateful. I just thinks he enjoys winding people up that don't think things through

1. profile image57
                exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you mean winding people up that don't think the same as he does

1. profile image0

yep, but also I think he is attempting to challenge people to give some thought to what they automatically spout - whether it's futile, who knows?

I tend to do that to my penecostal mother who spouts nonsense, like "chocolate is 100% fat!"  (see the flaw in that statement)

4. lcg4jc profile image70

The definition of “Personal” = of or relating to the private aspects of a person's life; referring to, concerning, or involving a person's individual personality, intimate affairs; having the attributes of an individual conscious being: a personal God
      The definition of “Relationship” = a connection, association, or involvement

So there you go a Personal Relationship relates to one’s own private affair with a connection to, or an association with one that has the characteristics of an individual conscious being: a personal God.

Hence, a Personal Relationship with Jesus is one’s own private affair and intimate connection with Jesus; it is ones individual experience of the Divine and nobody else’s business as to how they choose to carry on this affair.

The affair is personal because it involves one’s own private matters; it is a relationship because it involves one having an intimate connection with an individual conscious being, in this case a personal God.

While it is a simple definition, it is also very clear because it reveals that one's relationship (connection) with Divine is a private matter between the one and the Divine.

No one can judge ones relationship with Divine because it is not open to the critique or involvement of others opinions, it is a private matter.

5. Beelzedad profile image57
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is most likely that the Christ of the bible is a myth.

By the varying comments presented here already, it's easy to see that believers are expressing their own thoughts and feelings as to the relationship they are having with themselves, their own psyche, the way the they would like to be based on their own "personal" interpretation of scriptures.

In this regard, the Christ is not a mirror of their own selves, but something they want to achieve. smile

Now you're getting it!!!!!!  Its a journey OR a big puzzle of many pieces. Some are working on the bottom corner of the puzzle and another the middle top while some the upper left... Yes we are all at different stages of growth and knowledge. Some know this and others know that.
        There is no pressure to have all the information. The main point and key is to obey what the Spirit of God wants each individual to do.
        Some may smoke for two years while others drop it immediately.
        Others may enjoy the serpent with legs story while others see a deeper metaphor and try to discover that. Hell is believed by some and not by others.
        This is why we come together in forums to discuss the things that be of God and to grow and to learn. Not because we have all the information and nobody can teach us anything new. We want a piece of the puzzle suzie had and tommy has and we want to put those puzzle pieces in the right place.
        Paul said: (and i quite agree)
        1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known".

There is no pressure to conform to what the unsaved think we must be doing or presume to know the level we should be at or even the knowledge they think we should have.
        God is in control and if a few stumble over the education His children have, remember that egypt was in ruins when Gods people pressed on through the wilderness away from that once mighty nation.

Good goin!  smile

6. profile image51
      Kamzezuruposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I prayed for a vision when I was ten years old and God gave me the gift of new spiritual life, with the assurance of my salvation in His presence for eternity. That was at 1am after a Billy Graham Crusade when I was 31. Just 2 months ago I had the wierdest dream which I now take to have been my vision.
      I was walking along an isolated dusty road west of where I live, and it was late afternoon. A stranger joined me from a foot path and walked beside me in silence. Neither of us said anything. Presently the stranger motioned me to take a path leading off to the left but still we did not speak. Then after a little while we arrived at a small country railway station and went in to a lit up waiting room. It was dark by then and there was no one else around, just we two as we sat down on a wooden bench which went all the way around the room saying nothing. Shortly people started coming in and my accomplice greeted each person as though he knew them, as they arrived. There were men, women and a few children but I was not introduced to any. All, without exception, were dirty and dressed in rags. A few came and spoke to me briefly. More and more people arrived until the room was crowded. Then a train arrived at the platform pulled by a large steam locomotive and the people began filing out to get on the train. When all had left except the stranger and me, he motioned me to follow him and led me to the rear of the train where there was a very ancient steam locomotive, with an upright boiler and funnel, attached to some rickety old small wagons without floorboards. we had to make our way carefully to little bench seats, and sat down. The big train was disconnected and steamed off into the night in a westerly direction. Our little train then started to clatter off in an easterly direction from where it had come.
      By this time I was getting agitated because it was very late at night and I asked the man where we were, but he did not reply. The train just puffed and rattled its way back down the track until we came to a built up area and then it stopped at a little siding. Again the stranger did not reply when asked where we were. I was wondering whatever my wife would be thinking at my not coming home, so I told the man I had to get off, and he followed me. We walked down the empty street until we came to a Tee junction and I saw a sign leaning over pointing to my home town. I told the man I was going there but he left me then to go in the opposite direction.
      In the morning I awoke and wondered what this wierd dream was all about. Then during my regular morning devotion it suddenly came to me. The stranger was none other than Jesus himself who knows everyone. I realised then, that although I knew  what he had done for me at Calvary and all through my life, he was intended to be my closest friend, yet I never spoke to him as such. Could we have a mute relationship?
      Baileybear commented about imaginary friends. I had one when I was young and spoke out loud to him as though he was real, but Jesus is no imaginary friend, he IS real though I can't see him because I have no sensory organs to sight spirits. But I am by faith, with my new imaculate spirit in direct contact with God. Now I do talk to him just like I talk to my dog, and I ask him what I should do. He tells me in unexpected ways, directly through my mind, through other people, through circumstances, through Bible verses or through hymns. I never know where or when but have to be always on the lookout and vigilant.
      I still think about all those poor people on the express train dressed in rags and how Jesus wouldn't let me go where they were going. They had no 'wedding garments' and were headed to outer darkness. With that word a lump comes into my throat. How privileged I am!

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too  have had a number of "happenings" such as what you describe.

several while sleeping and a couple while awake.
          When we see the fulfillment of these...  We know that there is a reality that we know little about.

2. profile image50

What you mean by God. Do you mean Krishna whom Hindus believe as god; or do you mean Jesus who died a natural and peaceful death in India and is buried in a tomb at Mohallah Khanyar, Srinagar, Kashmir, India.

Can you differentiate between Jesus and Krishna; you have not seen both of them?

7. mjane24 profile image61
      mjane24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes i have personal relationship to  Jesus Christ because He is my Lord and my savior.

1. profile image50

Hindus believe in Krishna as god; what is your opinion about such a Hindu who has personal relationship with Krishna? How would you diffentiate and know who of the both is truthful?

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Hindi based entity Krishna is the mirror to Christos or Christ.
          Nearly every religion on earth has a "savior" or "anointed one". Perhaps they are all identical, yet translated based on limited cultural elements and necessity...
          Else they are ba`al ism remakes and that would not be a "good thing" or "good news".

8. dianetrotter profile image60
      dianetrotterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A personal relationship with Jesus Christ starts with the personal knowledge that
      "all have sinned and fallen short of God's glory."  Romans 3:23

We each (personally) make a choice to receive the gift of salvation or not (That's where the personal relationship comes in(

and because we are all born sinners eternal death awaits us

Romans 6:23 New International Version (NIV)
      23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

Those who say they are not sinners are liars!
      1 John 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
      8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

BUT God loves us so mch that He sent His son to cleanse us of our sins
      John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
      16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Whoever, individually, wants to be saved can make that commitment to Jesus Christ.  I don't want to add too many Scriptures to bog discussion down.  Salvation is based on the "milk" of the Word - we are sinners, Christ came to sav us, and we accept or reject

Sanctification - a process of a believer growing in Christ, showing fruit of the Spirit:  peace, love, joy, patience, kindness goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

No I don't have a personal relationship with either Jesus De Souza or Jesus Christ!!
    For starters....
    I'm Not Gay and if I was De Souza isn't my type! sad
    And the other bloke....
    Well I'm pretty Cross with him for letting all my Grandfather's Friends get slaughtered in the trenches during the 'Great' War! sad

well had that grandfather known god he would be secured of a place with God by now. So in fact you may blame God but really blame something else because God tried so many times and in ways you don't even know. Perhaps he found God in the trenches, in which case stop being mad at god until you know for sure. There are no atheists in the trenches.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One Thing I've noticed about Snipers is that they don't usually have a lot of knowledge about their target!
        I certainly don't think you are qualified enough with sock puppet/trollish presence, to cast arrogantly ignorant remarks about factual members of my family!
        Nor do I consider you qualified in understanding the mindset of such people or conditions of World War One trenches on the Somme! roll
        In fact if you did have such knowledge, then you would probably be worth knowing.
        Further:
        Kindly do not take my forum posts out of context mate!
        If you insist on publicly dissing my comments then at the very least understand what was said and do not add smoke and mirrors, in effort to inflate yourself at the expense of others, even if you do so under a name that implies that you have rope handling skills! hmm roll
        I don't believe that I made any reference to God in my original post. How you inject something fictitious into a direct response to that post.. clearly supports this post! roll

"Please everyone, don't feed the trolls..." States RD Lang and I agree.....
        Perhaps you should act on your own words Hangingout and go back to the space where you can be Re-Tweeked by your maker!

Please...Get Some Help.. Delusional belief is curable with the right medication! lol

maybe your jesus de souza can adjust you to accepting truth in a more graceful way mate.

snipers have a pretty good scope to see through.

try to have a nice day.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
            Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I said.... Delusional... also in regards to your own importance lol roll

The 'Truth' as you put it does not affect an honest man mate! - Merely a Delusional One! lol big_smile
            As a Self Promoted 'Trainee Pastor' - You should know THAT tongue
            Especially a trainee with a direct phone line to the big boss as you would have us believe lol

You sound like you're in practice to replace Warren Jeffs lol
            Actually... didn't he hang around with a similar delusional sales pitch? hmm 

I Enjoy Every Day mate!  Thanks for caring so insincerely there young Warren! big_smile

God does not just want to tweak the bad and mean person he wants the nice person too. The pleasantness of man is okay but it is not the plateau that the mean and bad person is brought too. They are both to come up to Gods level.
              To a place where they can look at God and thank God for the work that God has done in their life.
              An honest man is for the most part honest in compatible circumstances but to claim honesty at Gods level, without God, is vain pride. Anybody can be a good husband and also a dishonest banker. A loving parent but a mean boss. Kiss the wife and drive with road rage.
              Enjoying every day is wonderful, so long as a tsunami doesn't pop by for a visit then i bet God gets an earful when the stereo is drowned.
              Much of mans pleasantry is dependent on good situations, there is only the spirit of God that can make a man sing songs in prison for something he didn't do.
              i am deluded ? I do not think so.
              Caring .. hmmmm. caring is double edged. I could smile and wave and watch anybody topple off a cliff but i choose not too, because God is in me. I say things and if a person blows up in anger, i shrug, and wish them well.
              My truth is firmly grounded.
              Your truth is temporarily situated on sandy ground. As is the nice day i asked you to have, lol
              Enjoy that.
              i have no idea who warren jeffs is.
              But i know who God is and what He is about.

3. getitrite profile image70
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

If Jesus is God-who is all powerful, and made the universe, and has lived forever, and knows everything, why would he want to be friends with any of us?

He created us. You should check my hub about universal size but to brief it up. "does the size of a planet speak about the quality of its inhabitants?" "Can we find good things in both small packages and big? Does the earth have to be gazillion miles in diameter and people 600 feet tall to be important to God?"
      If you answered  2 no's and one yes, to these questions feel free to check out the hub. lol
      He kinda sorta doesn't want to be friends with anyone of us, he wants to change us then he wants to be a parent to us.
      I am sure that is what the pyramid builders thought when moses said, we are leaving this place.

I read your hub, and it is, clearly, just your opinion, all based on conjecture.  It is irrelevant to the question.

There is no reason that God should want to have a relationship with the likes of you and me, except for wishful thinking.

You have no relationship with God.  No.  I absolutely refuse to believe that you have a relationship with an omniscient being.

If there is a creator, I'm sure you are not capable of really knowing It.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
          LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing how you can tell someone what they have or don't have with God.
          Clearly your conclusions are merely just your opinion, all based on conjecture. smile

I just can't fathom an omniscient being desiring to have a relationship with you--or me.
            Do you realize what that would actually imply?

God has no need to desire anything, because everything belongs to him anyway.

God would not need a relationship with us.  That would, presumably, make him human.  That is wishful thinking.

2. profile image0

And that is where the beginning of wisdom is. That IS philo.
      When you realize the answer to that question, everything becomes abundantly clear and brilliant. No more mind shadows or emotional torrents to hide in, be tormented by. Until then, people are stuck in either belief or disbelief, a tsunami of their own thinking...

I think I know the answer to the questiion.

1. profile image0

I know this might sound very "mystical" but in reality and truth, if anyone thinks, they really don't know anything...

You're right, it sounds very mystical.

1. profile image0

G,
              It was not meant to sound mystic.
              The entire concept/illusion of the mind proves humans know nothing.
              No matter how many labels we create within the seemingly endless catacombs of our own thought, not one of those burrows will protect us or become absolute. All those places are Choice Niches, Nooks & Crannies attempting to keep the illusion alive. The mind was not designed for us to indulge it or be ruled by it. As my hub states, choice is the Bastard Child of Free Will. So it is thinking that is the problem, not the solution.

4. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

What is this personal experience you ask. Finally! You have heard of the sinners prayer, (you can google that if you like) This opens the door of which is christ and leads to the father. The simple prayer of repentance is all God is asking for, belief and humbleness. Upon asking God for forgiveness from past sins up to date, He is happily willing to do just that. Now you are aware of the spirit of God in you. You have been marked with a spiritual mark that sets you apart from sinners for all time, your name is written in jesus' book of life and you will be assessed at the judgment seat of christ and not the great white throne judgment. Congratulations!
    Now, let me include that God wants to tweak all types of people from the worst drug addicted mean s.o.b. to the apple pie in the window sill grandma. He wants to bring all people close to himself. You will feel probably bliss at first, happier, lighter, things are pretty cool but a time of growth is needed once you have sampled of the heavenly way. And one day the 'buzz' of a new reality will have 'worn off', so to speak. Its still available but as i mentioned, it is time to grow. Get rid of some stuff and solidify a core based around higher morals than an atheist, impossibly higher morals. But with god all things are possible, <-- thats a quote so you better get yourself a bible and start reading anywhere you feel directed plz don't start at genesis and try to read this like a normal book, Gods book is meant to be read all over the place. Maybe start with the gospel of john.
    You are in a time of Grace. The law is dead. So forget what you know about praying, it isn't always done on the knees, sometimes its done standing up, sitting in a chair, whenever you feel the need to talk to God about anything, you have an open highway. So talk.
    Find out what God wants through the book and ask him. Ask him for anything, love, faith, in him you can put all your worries. You are both in a place of rest and a period of labor. We must try to walk in the spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Many are those hidden sins that we don't see.
    A church is good. There are many people waiting to shake your hand. Again God will place you in a church so ask him to guide you. Do not make up your mind about what denomination you want to be, God will pick one, but spend time checking out all the local churches. This will take time as they are all on sunday morning at roughly the same time, lol.
    But the more you ask God for direction and the more you let him guide you and the more you talk with him and study his word, the more of a personal relationship you will have with him.
    Who knows in the right circumstances you may even feel impressed by the spirit to prophesy in church or find yourself giving others those important words they need to get them started.
    God is wonderful and so full of love.
    And he shows himself in amazing ways although i doubt if you pray for a trip to disneyland, He will send you.
    Everything happened for me when i prayed the sinners prayer, i had an experience and a time of spirit filled bliss, then came the learning, i failed a few times, no worries, just get back up, try again and keep on going, don't feel condemnation, hes a parent now and he will treat you as a parent treats a child. But you can always come to Him, say sorry, ask for strength to overcome the problem and yep, He will bless ya.

1. profile image0

you've given your sales pitch (have you checked the thread why people find being "evangelised to irritating?).

Please answer the question and explain how your relationship with an invisible being is personal like a relationship with someone you can see and talks back.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

getitrite asked a question desiring to know about a relationship with Jesus. The true gospel was shared with him. It was not forced down his throat. That powerful message was free of charge.

1. profile image0

what about answering the question in plain english rather than christian jargon like "walking in the spirit"

To make you think harder.

1. profile image0

I know what all your jargon means, because I used to be immersed in it.  But I think most christians are so used to using the jargon, they don't actually know what it means, let alone think about it

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image69

Baileybear,

Since you don't want us to use "the jargon", I challenge you to give us the words you want us to believe and we, any of us will be able to still give you an answer to the question.

1. profile image0
              china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ok - a question.

All through the history of the past 2000 years christians have caused so much death and destruction, misery and division.  From the repression of knowledge and the people through the dark ages to leading the enslavement and genocide of the 'new world' and colonisation.  From its support and leadership of slavery in the modern world, the unwarranted death and destruction of its appalling 'crusade' against Islam that begann in the middle ages and continues today in the middle east.

Why would anyone be stupid enough trust the double speak of your religion today ?

2. getitrite profile image70

I did not expect to get a sermon on hubpages today, but here it is.  Unbelievable!

your welcome
        Theres a box at the back feel free to donate other than that no plate passing here lol

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60

hanging out, Great message!

pastor in training smile

1. profile image0

Are you really serious?

5. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I tried to have a relationship...I got about this far..

"I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

The dogs of war never compromise,
    No real time for rearranging.

"Help me Jesus, Help me clean my wounds"
    He said he cannot heal that kind.
    Bleeding soul becomes a bitter mind.
    He said it happens every time...
    Knock it down,
    Knock it down,
    That's how the story goes
    In the Land of 1000 No's.
    I'm all over you
    In time my mind is changing.
    Knock it down"

...C.O.C.

1. Troy C. profile image61
      Troy C.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The key to a personal relationship with Jesus is faith, if you don't have faith in him as the word of God says, you can't have a personal relationship with him. Then there's Love for the Lord and what he's done for you.

1. profile image0

please go into more detail about the nature of the relationhip - you say you feel love...what else?

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69

Deleted

1. profile image0
            china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know the truth and you should be ashamed for using the deceptive tactics that you are using. You are attempting to draw people out in an area of vulnerability so you can attack them....shame on you..

You mean trying to draw people out to say what they mean - where there is no meaning.   The only shame in these posts are the lies and deceipt practiced by you and the other proselytising religious folk here.  Nobody has a personal relationship with a mythical being any more than the ancient Greeks had a personal relationship with Zeus.  Trying to promote your fantasies to realities is plain ridiculous.

6. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Yes. Love peace free is who every human being is to the core of their being. Also as a bonus GOD threw in for me a vision of the other side of death of which I am very grateful for and cherish in my heart as on August 1, 1982 a Sunday morning. Thank you.

7. profile image0
    lambservantposted 13 years ago

Some on this forum have spoken of their relatioship with God as more about Feelings. Feelings certainly are real, and we have feelings in our relationships. But sometimes, we cannot rely on our feelings to sustain or grow or participate in a relationship. Feelings originate from thoughts. Thoughts also can decieve. We often times "think" someone meant or said something, that they in fact did not mean or say, but we base our reltationship on what we thought and felt, even though it turns out those thoughts were not based on fact.

I think a relationship with anyone, but especially God, has to be based on faith, trust, belief. Many do not believe the Bible is true. I do, but I am not here to debate that with anyone because that is not the question that was posed. Suffice it to say, that based on what the Bible says, I beleived  and now know that I can have a relationship with God like many out of the Bible did. From Adam, to Jesus, to the Apostle Paul, all had their own individual and unique reltationship with God.

It is true we cannot see God visually, and we rarely if ever hear His voice audibly like the men of the Bible, but we have His word, and that is the primary way I hear Him. I read his promises when I am going through a trial and it is Him speaking to me to say, here is this promise for you. Hold on to it, I will see you through. Regardless if I have any strong emotions at that time or not, I know His presence and voice by faith in Him and the truth of His word. It was Paul who said, Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

1. profile image0

thankyou for presenting more realistically how it is for you. 

So really it is belief based on thoughts and feelings, which could be subjective? 

When I was a christian, I never heard God "speak" - I got the feeling/thought that certain bible verses were meant for me; I used my imagination to "see" him; chrisitans used "prophecy" (which more times than not were completely way off); I got caught up in the "emotion" of music

Was my experience typical of what believers experience?

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Baileybear,
        I like your honesty.

I have a relationship with my friends and familly. It works because I speak, and they speak back, I hear and respond. Unless someone can honestly say they have human-like conversations with Jesus, how can they say they have a relationship with Him? Moses had a relationship with God because spoke and had a conversation with Him. Does the church claim the same thing today with Jesus? No where in scripture does Jesus ever use the term or talk about "having a relationship". It's just not possible unless one hears Jesus audibly everyday.

I believe in Jesus and what He said. That's different. I pray to my father, as Jesus told me too and occasionally what I pray about comes to pass. Do I have a conversation with God? No. I might occasionally get a sense about what is right or wrong, a sense of peace, or an idea, a mental connection just jumps into my head. This is probably the same experience as all 'Christians', but they big it up into a whole 'relationship' thing and wear it like a medal of honour.

The truth is all the feelings, senses, ideas, can just be our own heads talking to us. We know this is true in many instances otherwise Christians would be infalible, but we know they speak crap occasionally and call it "God said". All we can do is choose to belief and act oj that belief which is called faith.

1. profile image0

thanks disappearinghead.  I lot of people find my honesty & directness too confronting. 

Thanks for your honesty too, and being willing to admit that perhaps it's a crock. 

I remember finding christians irritating when they said God helped them choose what shoes to wear etc - so ridiculous - where did God  "speaking" start or finish and their own minds start or finish?

1. profile image0

Yes, ditto to that. This mini-thread has been a very helpful discussion.

1. profile image0

yes, it's confirmed that others had similar experiences that I had when I was a christian - I had my imaginery friend.  Can't you get commited to a psych unit for that?

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Do you have a personal relationships with Jesus Christ?

One cannot have personal relationship with Jesus as one cannot have personal relationship with Moses or any other dead person. Moses died and is buried at Moab and his grave is there; Jesus died a natural and peaceful death in India and is buried in a tomb at Mohallah Khanyar, Srinagar, Kashmir, India.

One is mistaken; one cannot have any personal relationship with Jesus.

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Died in India, huh?
      Just another guru, no doubt.
      Feel so sad for you. Having to justify your faith by making Him something less that the Son of God.
      You may not realkise it, but there is NO Christianity without the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I know you don't believe in His resurrection, but the very existance of Christianity opposes your point of view.
      Paul said that if Christ is NOT risen (from the dead), we are of all men the most pathetic.
      He obviously believed.
      Oh, I know, you think Paul is a false teacher, so I guess you won't accept that statement either.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

died in India is not paar's theory..such theory does exist..theory that Christ came to India before he started preaching too does exist...yes without resurrection of Christ , Christianity wont be same..that is right...but one cannot stop speculative theories..

Infact christ died in India nullifies Islam's version too..So this controversy in rejected by both. I remember an news item when kashmir authorities banned foreign tourist to visit shrine which those tourist believed to be christ's grave...

2. profile image50

I am concerned with Jesus ; not what the Christians or Christianity believe about him.

1. aka-dj profile image64
          aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a total contradiction!
          You can only know about Him what Christians have to say about Him.
          You have already pointed out that we have no writings directly from Jesus Himself. The whole New Testament was written by "Christians". If you don't listen to them, who will you listen to.
          Please don't say the Koran. That was written hundreds of years later, and NOT by eyewitnesses. In fact Mohammad was far removed from Crist.

1. profile image57
            exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it is sad that you have never felt the power of his love, if you ever do you could never doubt Jesus

1. Jerami profile image58
              Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that he has and does.

aka just has a different way of expressing himself than what you are used to.

Folks get me wrong quite often when I say,  Believe what Jesus said. above those things that the apostles elaborated upon.

That makes me bad.

9. profile image50

One cannot have personal relationship with Jesus as one cannot have personal relationship with Moses or any other dead person. Moses died and is buried at Moab and his grave is there; Jesus died a natural and peaceful death in India and is buried in a tomb at Mohallah Khanyar, Srinagar, Kashmir, India.

One is mistaken; one cannot have any personal relationship with Jesus.

1. libby101a profile image59
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is your opinion Paarsurrey based on the Qu'ran!

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy317/mlmvicbc/727603486_l.gif

1. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GOD is the one who decides who will have a relationship with him or not. Can you except this truth about GOD deciding who will know and walk him. No man can come unto the Father except GOD draws him/her to himself. You can clearly see who GOD has drawn to himself and those he has not  drawn to himself. Yes you better be tip toeing around this question because you will be found out by what comes out of your mouth and what kind of actions by word and deed that you sow in your life and you will reap accordingly. Tip toe you must because you are walking on shaking ground where it occur as knowing and walking with GOD in a personal relationship. Earthquakes is happening all around you concerning knowing GOD. No problems for those who knows GOD because GOD drew them to himself and no man can pluck them from the Father's hand. You can clearly see the results where man try to reach out to GOD within his own ability and where GOD himself draws those that he wants to have a personal relationship with. I take full responsibility for this answer because your arms and words are too short to box with GOD. This answer comes to you by way of the throne room of GOD in heaven. Keep on tip toeing and see where that will land you as you are now on shaking ground that is now going on in every person life on the earth through the earthquake that is going on now with every person on the earth. Will you be crushed and overcome by it or survive and thrive because you are safely in GOD hands with a personal relationship with him because he chose you and you did not choose GOD to know and have a personal relationship. This is GOD'S choosing who will know him and not man's choosing. Let the chips fall where they may. I hope that for your sake that your tip toeing does not destroy you. Check out your results. Thank you. Remember this one thing. YOU ARE ON SHAKING GROUND.

11. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Anybody claiming a personal relationship with Jesus is communing with the expression of their own ego.  At best this is incestuous and describes part of what is wrong with religion, or mental masturbation which is a similar thing.  Then of course there are those who are just plain lying - they are 'claiming' another religious 'thing' to promote themselves whilst knowing what they are promoting is a lie.  Most are just liars mouthing and remouthing their lies for their own benefit.

12. profile image50

One cannot have personal relationship with Jesus as one cannot have personal relationship with Moses or any other dead person.

Moses died and is buried at Moab and his grave is there; Jesus died a natural and peaceful death in India and is buried in a tomb at Mohallah Khanyar, Srinagar, Kashmir, India.

The Christians are mistaken; they cannot have any personal relationship with Jesus.

1. Frank Menchise profile image49
      Frank Menchiseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit that a physical personal relationship with Jesus is not possible, as Jesus is now in the dimension of the dead; but perhaps ShaunLindbergh who started this question meant a spiritual personal relationship, if that is the case I believe that I have a spiritual relationship with Jesus, as I have dreamed about Jesus twice. Now this post has started me thinking that it is time for me to share these dreams with you in my next Hub. See you then.

13. NurseMKB profile image58
    NurseMKBposted 11 years ago

Personal... it means you answering to God for you.. You answer to him for your sin your life, He has given you.  You can have your sin forgiven.. thats personal. You can know him personally his love and forgiveness. He will help you, cleanse you from all your sin and remember it no more. Give you newness of life.  Joy peace and happiness.. Not only does he forgive you personally, .. he has gifts for you.  Personal relationship with Jesus is that  one to one real time you come to him and be totally honest seek his forgiveness and recieve it.

Blessings
    Merry

1. NurseMKB profile image58
      NurseMKBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and yes I have a persona relationship with Jesus Christ.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)