Low CPM

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (48 posts)
  1. hclpd profile image93
    hclpdposted 5 years ago

While traffic is back to pre-September levels, CPM has taken a battering, it seems. Is anyone else noticing the same trend?

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Advertisers aren't advertising. It'll pick up again soon.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
        Jeremy Gillposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's unfortunate, but a common occurrence at the start of a new year. Looking at least year's numbers, earnings dropped by around 50% but were recovering by March. Hang in there until then.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

CPM rates in my experience are sometimes volatile but are also often low/lower after major holidays and sales days and high/higher preceding them. CPM I think tends to run in quarters so it is often low in winter following the Xmas festivities and picks up towards March/April. Be patient and wait for the rates to rise. Given a level playing field they should rise steadily over the next few weeks.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Both my CPMs and traffic are pretty atrocious on this account right now. Haven't recovered. But, and this is a big but, if the fix they put in awhile back really does kick 2 months after the fix, I think I still have a month to wait. Or....I'm screwed.

Edit: Okay, so my CPMs and traffic are atrocious on my other accounts too.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nate! Hope it gets better soon.

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jan!

4. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is five times what it was last year but my earnings are lower than last year.  Yes, CPM is waaaaaaay down.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

The past week my CPM was in the neighborhood of $7.00.  For the same week last year it was in the neighborhood of $32.  That seems like a pretty big difference to me.

1. charlesnuamah profile image95
      charlesnuamahposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, your CPM went as high as $32. I must be writing about the wrong topics.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image90
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Advertisers are regrouping. They'll be back! $$$

4. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

Yes, it's gone back to what it was a few months ago. It's the start of Q1, so this is typical, but it seems to be a bit lower than it was last January.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Get used to it. This is a January tradition. Advertisers spent their dough the previous few months.

6. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

We're not supposed to post our CPMs.

7. Natalie Frank profile image91

Which is obviously why i posted it as a general range not exact number, something many people have done before.
    Edit: And the team has never edited it out before.

8. Kenna McHugh profile image90

No worries. I saw it as a range and didn't think otherwise. It is January, and it's time to plan and forge ahead before the advertisers come back. : D

9. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 5 years ago

January is always low because advertisers aren’t advertising. It’ll pick up. Don’t be disheartened!

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mine were the highest ever in December, and now I'm so low it's scary. Every time I feel inclined to write more, this happens, and I wonder if it's worth it. But I suppose everyone is getting back into the routine, and January is an accounting month for most companies.

10. CYong74 profile image94
    CYong74posted 5 years ago

Online writing life is tough, ain't it?

Low CPM, High Traffic.

High CPM, Valley Bottom Traffic.

And in the midst of everything, the Google goddess comes to molest you, twice or thrice a month.

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That sums it up beautifully!

11. ziyena profile image91
    ziyenaposted 5 years ago

For anyone else out there like myself, who  is clueless about CPM …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPbfP7Cxg0

1. Pollyanna Jones profile image94
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This was so helpful! Thank you. I was wondering how this all works. As someone who tends to write about a folklore and niche articles, my revenue has been quiet low and I wondered what I can do to improve this. I now understand that creating the odd article here and there on certain CPC Keywords will help increase the income received through HubPages. Worth a try I suppose.

12. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

I wonder could article sponsorship be a possibility, as a means of generating greater revenue? So a manufacturer, service provider or whatever would sponsor an article that is relevant to them?

13. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

CPM is always low at this time of year.

https://www.mediavine.com/ad-revenue-seasons/

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great article!

14. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

It is a kick in the gut after having stellar November/December earnings. Trust the veteran hubbers, higher CPMs will return. No worries. smile Happy New Year!

15. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

When Amazon was a better earner, the money from the Xmas period that I received used to more than carry me through January and February, when Hubad revenue is lower. Not so for past couple of years. That said, higher traffic is more important in the medium to long term, as CPM's should pick up again (as others have said). Just a pity the traffic's been low over the most lucrative period. Hopefully, the HP "fix" for traffic is kicking in. We need it.

16. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 5 years ago

I have already picked the best tree in the neighbourhood and am currently negotiating with the macaques. Expect to move in soon. Sigh.

I am seeing a general uptick in traffic over the weekend. I am cautious about drawing too many conclusions (sometimes a traffic surge precedes another Google hit, haha!), but there is some hope.

Though living in a tree with macaques in Thailand does have a certain romantic appeal...

17. Natalie Frank profile image91

CPM down another dollar!  At the rate I'm going it won't be too much longer before I hit zero!  Not much incentive to keep writing right now as my earnings have continued to plummet over the last year.

18. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 5 years ago

...How do you check your CPM?

19. Kenna McHugh profile image90

On your reports page.

20. Natalie Frank profile image91

Click Ad Program Reports

21. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Just wanted to say that traffic is looking good! As for CPM, like others have said, not HP's fault.

22. Will Apse profile image88

Compared to the same week last year, CPM is way down for me. I am seeing something like a forty percent decline.

1. hclpd profile image93
      hclpdposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Same. It's around 40%.

23. Alvina Martino profile image50
    Alvina Martinoposted 5 years ago

almost 50% decline as compare to nov sad

24. paradigmsearch profile image59

Perfect time to give straight AdSense a spin. Yesterday was my first full day and am a happy camper. As we know, straight AdSense can be much more erratic day-to-day and can have wide swings; but is much more fun for us gambler types. big_smile

25. Will Apse profile image88

One week doesn't mean much but it is a sharp, unusual decline.

It might be that HP has changed its ad partners.

It might be that 2019 is full of terrors for advertisers.

I am seeing a big Amazon hit too. I reckon that is an authority thing. If pages with Amazon ads are associated with what Paul called "millions of low quality profiles", it ain't good.

One of the advantages of having 11 different accounts (generally it's a pain in the arse) is that I get to compare and contrast. Around a third of the accounts showed a large drop in CPM for the period compared to equivalent last year (40% or so), but for the majority it wasn't significantly different,  or just a very slight drop. It shows how uneven it all is. I can see why different hubbers report very different experiences.

26. paradigmsearch profile image59

How's CPM doing the last couple days? I switched to straight AdSense and have no way of knowing.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's on the rise with me, small increases but rising with views.  I'm not too concerned about CPM rates cos there's nowt much we can do to control 'em it seems to me. In fact, who on earth can control them? CPM rate is inscrutable.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm always trying to guess which is better for a given time period, straight AdSense or HP Ad Program. So far, at this time, straight AdSense is kicking butt.

1. gerimcclym profile image96
          gerimcclymposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To go straight AdSense, do you simply hit the orange Deactivate key on the HP Ad Program? And to revert to the HP Ad Program, is it as simple as htting an orange Activate Key in the same location as the Deactivate key?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You got it. smile

1. gerimcclym profile image96
              gerimcclymposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thank you

27. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Paul, That is good to know.

28. hclpd profile image93
    hclpdposted 5 years ago

It has been a downwards journey since the beginning of this month. Compared to last year, 2019 has been abysmal at best.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)