Can Someone Help Me Understand This? (CPM, Impressions, Earnings)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. EsmeSanBona profile image94
    EsmeSanBonaposted 5 years ago

Hi Everyone!

If someone could help me understand the basics of this how these thing relate, I would really appreciate it!   Please know I'm about to ask really stupid questions, so please feel free to pass me by if that's going to make you crazy!

How are the impressions and CPM related?  It seems to me that if the impressions go up, the CPM should as well, but that's not looking like the case for me.  My traffic keeps increasing but my earnings are having an inverse relationship to the traffic.  On top of that, I seem to be making less money the more impressions I'm getting.  For example, last year, on 1 February I had 222 impressions with CPM of $6.75. This year, on 1 February I had 1525 impressions with CPM of $4.94.  That just doesn't seem right to me.  But I honestly don't know how these things work, so maybe that's normal. 

I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with my page, something not calculating correctly, or if there's some other thing I don't know about that makes what appears abnormal actually quite normal. 

I'm just wondering if I need to contact someone at HP or if I'm just not understanding something that is actually completely normal. 

Any help anyone can provide is more than appreciated!

1. shahith profile image61
      shahithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, CPM and Impressions are related

when visitors seeing the advertisements that appear in the user's screen when they browse through your website is called IMPRESSIONS this is not action based.

CPM is cost per mille (Mille is a Latin word for thousand) or Cost per 1000 impressions

Actually, the cost totally depends on the advertisers budget and number of impressions.

the formula for calculating your CPM

CPM = Advertising cost / Number of impressions (For the cost per one click if you want to find the cost per 1000 than just multiply that value with 1000)

If advertiser spends more money you will get more CPM.

I hope this answer will help you

EsmeSanBonaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

The understanding just happens.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

CPM is what you will be paid per 1000 impressions.  It varies based on who is buying ads and which ads are being shown on your hubs.  Generally the more traffic you have the low the CPM as you start to run through the best ones and show the ones that pay less.

Thank you!  So do you mean that the CPM does have an inverse correlation?  That's it's normal for the CPM to go down the more traffic you get?

Or are you saying that my high traffic articles get higher paying ads and the less trafficked articles get lower paying ads? Is that right?  Even beyond the CPM issue, I'm steadily getting more traffic, but my earnings are steadily dropping in relation to the traffic, which is another thing I don't understand.  I knew that people said that earnings went down in the winter, after Christmas, but it still seems odd to me that my earnings are going down, markedly so, even after getting more and more traffic.

4. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Just to add to what psycheskinner already pointed out...
    You cannot compare CPM from Feb. 1 2018 to Feb. 1 2019 and say that it went down becuase of increased traffic. There are a lot of other things that determine CPM, including your subject matter, what advertisers want to advertise, how much they are willing to pay to advertise, etc.
    I just looked at a few of your dream interpretation articles and it looks like you are doing great. You need more traffic though so all I can recommend is that you write more successful articles that are going to be added to the niche sites.When you are earning a lot more your CPM will be fine.

Thanks!  I'm just trying to get a sense of what to expect.  I am doing pretty well for the number of articles I have. I'm writing what I like to write about, so I'm pretty happy.  I just noticed that my traffic has been steadily rising, but my earnings have been declining and I didn't know if that was normal or not.  I had went through some of the forums and seen all kinds of things like ads not working and other stuff I didn't understand.  After not being able to make sense on my own, I just decided to ask!  Thanks for your help!  It is most appreciated!

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Based on that Feb 1 number your traffic looks good. After going through your profile page it looks like you are keeping up with edits (even more than me!) so the only thing you could work on to earn more is to have more articles on the niche sites.
        I like Ruperts comment about the alphabet soup. It would be nice if we could just ignore it.

1. theraggededge profile image98
          theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

big_smile I ignore it.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
            DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is an Amazon book in there somewhere: "Zen and the Art of Ignoring CPM"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  That's hilarious!

5. Rupert Taylor profile image97
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

Esme these are far from stupid questions. Some bright and knowledgeable people have tried to explain CPMs, impressions, and other dark arts of Internet monetization (ghastly word) and I'm none the wiser.

Just write as best you can on engaging subjects and leave alphabet soup of initials, served ad types, page RPMs, and all the other gobbledegook to the computers.

Thanks!  Yes, I mainly wanted to make sure I hadn't done something dumb like accidentally turned of ads or something--not that I'd even begin to know how to do that.  None of this had been an issue for me as I wasn't really making much until last year when I guess I got enough articles on the niche sites to make a difference. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Thanks again!

1. samanthacubbison profile image81
        samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here are the FAQ entries for both, if you were curious:

https://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-impressions

https://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-cpm

Also, this is a Learning Center article that is helpful to skim:

https://hubpageshelp.com/money/Learning … y-HubPages

Thank you so much!  These are EXACTLY what I was looking for!  I appreciate your help!

6. Erudite Scholar profile image60
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

HI Esme, CPM refers to Cost Per Mille/Impression. It means the cost of a thousand views. It is the cost advertisers incur when a webpage or link is viewed a thousand times. Impressions are the views on a webpages, website or link. Earning refers to the revenue that is generated from ads placed on your hubs by Google. Google and HP split earnings with the writer.

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate the help!

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Just to note, Hubpages uses CPM to describe what we are paid per 1000 impressions, which more correctly should be called RPM.  So definitions that say it is the total payment fro the advertiser are technically correct but that is not how it is used on Hubpages.

Thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)