The "I can't move or talk" nightmare, what does it mean?

Jump to Last Post 101-130 of 130 discussions (170 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MAMEPIPOUposted 7 years ago

This is a supernatural phenomenon which is the sleeper are in between of being asleep and awake, experiencing inability to react or move, that in your dreams you see a terrifying creature that's on the top of you, for you to hardly breathe. You want to get out of your dream and wake up and move but you can't because of body paralysis. Your mind is completely awake yet you are half asleep so your body won't do the same as to your mind wants your body to do. Science studied that the major cause of sleeping paralysis are genetics and sleep deprivation, also linked to some such disorders.
    But there are things that any of that studies can't explain. I think, you should pray before sleeping. Faith can overcome all. I mean, creepy creatures are really creepy but it's up to you if you'll choose to be frightened or choose to fight and be brave at any matter of time. Because if you have faith and believe there is God who's with you always, nothing to be frightened of, cause He will be the one to protect you from anything.
    Also, avoid being so much exhausted before going to sleep, however it can help to make it worst. Who knows that some cases of these could not been awakened after that dream happened, who knows? Cause nobody can be a proof to tell if they died already. I'm aware about people have died because of nightmares. I mean, you could call it nightmare beyond by calling it sleep paralysis.

2. Eman Helmy profile image56
    Eman Helmyposted 7 years ago

No idont have nihgt mare where some thing  holding

3. Melissa Peck profile image59
    Melissa Peckposted 7 years ago

It's sleep paralysis. When you're in REM sleep you dream. Your brain immobilizes your muscles during this sleep mode so that you don't try to move while you dream. But if you wake up before your body has climbed out of REM sleep, you're still immobile. Stress or exhaustion can sometimes cause it.

4. WiccanSage profile image91
    WiccanSageposted 7 years ago

It's sleep paralysis, there is a scientific explanation. I don't think it means anything except a slow adjustment between being awake and being asleep. Your mind wakes up but your brain delays the signal to your body.

5. Anita Hasch profile image60
    Anita Haschposted 7 years ago

Yes, it happened to me once when I was ten. A long time ago. Anyway I was sleeping and woke up. I know I was awake because I could hear my mother and brother talk in the passage. I could not move, scream and a white vision(like the top half of a soul)? was hovering in front of me.  I kept on trying to shout and eventually managed to move. If it is possible for your spirit to leave your body, as I have heard many times, but don't actually believe it, then mine went somewhere and was trying to get back in. ha ha.
    But when you think that at times you dream of strange places that you have never seen before, then I do wonder. I do think it is connecting to spirits. My father had his workshop in a building some distance from the house. Attached to the workshop was the old office which had been turned into a bedroom for various male members of our family. Each one that slept there was either pressed down, or as my husband who also used the room before we were married said. Somebody sat on my chest. It did not worry him, but some of the other members that slept there refused to sleep without a light. Just like myself I have had a bedside light on every night for years. Just in case.

6. CapCooL profile image80
    CapCooLposted 7 years ago

I've never had that happen to me, but I have woken up during the night and felt that there was someone inside of the bedroom or in the house. I've had the feeling of being watched but there is never anyone there.

7. beagrie profile image93
    beagrieposted 7 years ago

It's a well known thing called Sleep Paralysis, there's a Wikipedia article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I'm by no means a knowledgeable source on the topic but from my limited understanding it has to do with the switch in your brain that disables your body during sleep (so you don't dream you're running a marathon and run into the bedroom wall) and your brain partially waking up while that switch is still flipped.

8. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

It is called sleep paralysis. You're not really out of the sleep state physically even though your mind mostly is.
    There is a theory that this plus dreams as the body tries to make half awake sense of it is why we have stories of alien abductions, and before that, abduction by elves and visits from demons at night.

9. StephanieWeemhoff profile image63
    StephanieWeemhoffposted 7 years ago

It means you are sleeping and you can't actually fully move or scream. Which is good, otherwise you may wake up somewhere you do not want to be.
    Less common, it could mean that in life you feel your voice is not heard or that you don't trust in the relationships around you to hear you and help you.
    Mostly, though, it is just a dream. Your brain is firing randomly and what you feel is because you are asleep.

10. reza senoya profile image60
    reza senoyaposted 7 years ago

many of myth says that you're under evil influence but not, apparently this is called sleep paraylsis. and what make it happen, it's described as below :
    1. lack of sleep
    2. sleeping on the back
    3. use of certain medication such as ADHD
    4. mental condition such as stress
    5. do you have any sleep disorder ?
    and you can prevent it by getting enough sleep and do what you can to relieve stress in your life, sorry for the bad english.

11. Akash Chetia profile image61
    Akash Chetiaposted 7 years ago

During my childhood days , I always dreamed about ghosts coming out from jungles, marches and swamps. It may be due to the reason that at that time I read stories of demons, ghosts whatever and my mind started to work in my sleep. However when i grew young I did not see much of such type of dreams.
    During ,my College days, I was feeling very depressed, lonely and frustrated, than I again began to see such type of dreams like someone staying behind me while I was sleeping and someone just sleeping besides me.  I also faced situations like I cant move or bread. Actually now I have came to realize that our mind understands that we are in danger, even when we are sleeping. It tries to alert us by showing such dreams. these ghosts or demons in our dreams are nothing but projections of our mind's insecurities.

12. profile image52
    Ms Elianaposted 7 years ago

Actually ithe is a natural part of REM -Dream Sleep. Yes you are in a state of paralysis because you are dreaming and it's The Creators way of protecting us from hurting ourselves and others. Because we would ACT OUT OUR DREAMS.
    REM Sleep runs up and down our sleep stages throughtout the night from light to heavy sleep, so many times right before we are fully awake from that REM state and our bodies have not caught up to our signal that Reactivates our body to tell us it's ok at to start moving again and so we experience that feeling of being awake ut we can't move. This can also happen in the beginning of sleep cycles but it basically happens in our Twilight stages. This can also be a part of Night Terrors, which are not the same as Nightmares in which you would be in a REM Dream state. Hope that helps

13. carolyn0210 profile image59
    carolyn0210posted 7 years ago

I have had a dream like this, it can be very frightening.

14. ian 12am profile image86
    ian 12amposted 7 years ago

It is sleep paralysis and means nothing at all. Some people say it has something to do with evil spirits

15. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image81
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 years ago

Expressing sleep paralysis is way too easy I suppose but the real experience is shit-scary. Just had another one a week back.

Thanks to  medical science for being able to decode it else we would have continued to halucinate ghosts and evil spirits and be haunted by our own imagination.

16. sivasubrahmanyam profile image61
    sivasubrahmanyamposted 7 years ago

It happens to me very frequently. Suddenly my voice cuts down and I cannot speak or call anybody. My hands will not work and I become immobile. I contacted many people, doctors, elders, and top Tantriks. Everybody has got their own answers and their own interpretation. This is of no use.

Recently I could observe that there is a low supply of Oxygen in the room I am sleeping. As a result when the level becomes even low then there will be some inconvenience in breathing which implies its effect on other organs of the body.

17. AmitAlgotar profile image40
    AmitAlgotarposted 7 years ago

This simply means that you are stuck in something which you don't wanna continue with but you are still doing it for the sake of something or someone. You can't speak about the same nor you can do anything about the same in real life and that's what happen in the dream as well. It could be anything, your current job, relationship, people you are with for some reason etc. Your dreams are mostly the result of your unexpressed or should i say suppressed feelings which you generally don't admit but are always running at the back of our mind.

1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image81
      AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure what you are trying to imply. Its sleep paralysis - a medically defined state of being while in sleep!

2. AmitAlgotar profile image40
      AmitAlgotarposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Ashutosh Joshi: Would you please elaborate so that i can be sure about what you are trying to imply...

3. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image81
      AshutoshJoshi06posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sure, the question asked above was about the nightmares or what we call Sleep Paralysis. I couldn't quite grasp your answer and I just wanted to understand what you meant by "...forced to do something..."

4. AmitAlgotar profile image40
      AmitAlgotarposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Okay got you. by "forced to do something" I mean That a person is forced to carry on with his job or a relationship etc without his will because of some adverse situations. for Example I am currently doing a job which isn't giving me 0% job satisfact

18. energyhealer222 profile image60
    energyhealer222posted 6 years ago

Dear Alem ,

I can assure you that we are not alone.

I had these several times or I could say every single night
    for a year.

Unfortunately , it is not a nightmare, is when you close your
    eyes literally someone, possibly from the bad side, is holding you
    down and it does not give you the change to talk, to move or even
    shout for help.

As it is pretty scary and due to the fact that this was happening a lot to me, I talked to someone who found a way to face it! I was told that every time that this thing was happening to me I should say a prayer and sending who ever that was to the light. After long attempts it worked.

I also found out that the positions of our beds must be on a specific navigation towards south and not north because it could be messing with our sleep. Is a kind of scientific - more Feng sui  information which I never search deep into it. But since I change my bed positon to the south things changed !

19. profile image0
    lori811posted 6 years ago

Hi Alem - I hear you on this puppy. As a child this was a reoccurring nightmare. When we sleep, our subconscious takes control. The nightmare is interpreted as having issues in our lives which we cannot control or have difficulty. The immobile part and cannot scream represents our reaching out for help but but no one listening and/or cares not to. 

Also, the last thoughts we have before hitting the pillow to sleep, are the thoughts our subconscious plays on during our slumber.

Hope this helps. God bless!

20. Autumn Echoes profile image65
    Autumn Echoesposted 6 years ago

I have had this awful experience multiple times. You would think one would get used to it after all that, but no!

This is a phenomenon known as 'sleep paralysis' and usually hits us when we are under stressful conditions. Basically what happens is that your nervous system remains active at the moment of your slipping off into sleep.

Say you're tremendously drowsy and you simply can't keep your eyes open anymore. At the same time, there is too much happening inside your head - you're helplessly being bombarded with thoughts. This is a very precarious moment, you're really standing on a thread that is dividing the conscious wakeful state and your subconscious mind or the dream land mind, call it whatever. When we normally dream, we fall into that dreamland state completely, but during sleep paralysis, we do fall into that state, but all the while our nervous system remains active and so we are aware of what we are experiencing.

The limb lock down happens for a specific reason. It's your body's defense mechanism to keep you from doing something stupid or harming yourself as a response or reaction to whatever you're experiencing.

The best way to get out of this is... to calm down. Yes! Ironic as it is, the more you fight it the longer you stay stuck in it. Just tell yourself that you've been here before, and you'll be out in some time. Once you manage to calm down, breathing becomes relatively easier and you might even end up getting more than just freaked by the glimpse into your subconscious mind. You might actually explore it, even understand it.

21. Gladys06 profile image53
    Gladys06posted 6 years ago

Base on Science, Nightmare is a nightmare is a dream that results in feelings of extreme fear, horror, distress, or anxiety. This phenomenon tends to occur in the latter part of the night and often awakens the sleeper, who is likely to recall the content of the dream...

Actually, for those who usually experience nightmare tries to find meaning as to why we dream such bad dreams and seems real.

For me, a nightmare has its meaning... A dream has its meaning. We just don't know what is really its meaning but there is a meaning for it. through dreams God is giving us warnings or signs like before.

Dreams and visions are mentioned in the Bible, and God sometimes used the dream state to communicate with His prophets and others. God spoke to Abimelech in Genesis 20, warning him not to touch Abraham’s wife, Sarah. Other dreams include Jacob’s ladder (Genesis 28), Joseph’s dream that his brothers would serve him that led to his captivity in Egypt (Genesis 37), as well as his interpretation of Pharaoh's dreams (Genesis 40-41) that led to his being made the second most powerful man in Egypt. The Lord or His angel appeared to others in the Bible, including Solomon (1 Kings 3), Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 2), Joseph (Matthew 2), and Pilate’s wife (Matthew 27). None of these dreams, however, with the possible exception of Pilate’s wife’s dream, can really be called a nightmare. So it would appear that God does not usually speak to people through nightmares.

22. ChadCrouch profile image53
    ChadCrouchposted 6 years ago

It's called sleep paralysis. Your brain is awake but body is still asleep.

23. Fara ruso profile image60
    Fara rusoposted 6 years ago

Undoubtedly its sleep paralysis. When brain us awake but body is asleep. It had happend with me many a times. It is just a brain activity.  It happens when you are stressful somewhat. Or u can say so much going on at the same time or anxiety. So when you sleep you kind of hallucinate or sleep paralysis.

24. profile image53
    GirlTropixposted 6 years ago

Sleep paralysis requires one to be asleep.
    Same with a nightmare.

I experienced this while being fully awake. Not just once- but 3 times in a row. Each time- the moment I lay down I was pinned down- unable to move or make more than a muffled grunt sound.

After the first time- I stood up- turned on all the lights and left them on - looked around the apartment and then lay back down. It happened again instantly.

3rd time I lay down- I practiced thrashing my body and yelling out- and the second I stopped my practicing- it happened again. And my thrashing plan proved very difficult- but I could move an inch or so side to side. As soon as it stopped I jumped up and went outside the apartment- saw that the manager for the complex was awake - I asked him if anyone had died in my new apartment- He said a man died outside the front entry- a drunk who no one realized was dead for a while (not sure how long a while meant) I only lived there a month and nothing else happen until the night before I moved out.

I was sitting with my 7 yr old son in the living room. He made some offhand remark about the ghost. With no doors or windows open- we were suddenly blasted with 40 mph winds for maybe 5 seconds. Nearly knocked us over. Scary and incredible at the same time.

I did research it and found sleep paralysis- but it doesnt apply when your totally awake.

25. profile image51
    Japsie Jamoraposted 6 years ago

You can use google if you want
    Search
    Sleep paralysis

26. John Wolfgang profile image74
    John Wolfgangposted 6 years ago

It is known as sleep paralysis. It has happened to me on two occasions both for inexplicable reasons.

It can be absolutely terrifying at the time but once you come out of this state and calm down you realise that nothing bad can happen from it.

27. talkmary50 profile image63
    talkmary50posted 6 years ago

I have had the same kind of dream all my life since I  was a kid since I can remember. It is one of the most frightening things that has happened to me and when it happens for a few nights afterwards.  I sleep with fear that it will happen again and try not to sleep to avoid it.

I would like to think it was caused by sleep paralysis or that something mentally was bothering me so my subconscious made this dream. But I don't know.

All I do know is I don't like it and I would love not to have another.

28. Harishprasad profile image72
    Harishprasadposted 6 years ago

This has something to do with an existing problem not finding its way to a solution.

29. Jykeith Comal profile image61
    Jykeith Comalposted 6 years ago

I have went through this. You are under demonic attack. Try to say Jesus name and it will stop.

30. jdnyc profile image68
    jdnycposted 4 years ago

What about dreams where you can move, but it's just really slow?  I sometimes dream that I am trying to run, but am barely making any progress.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)