President Trump Congratulates Wrong State on Super Bowl Win

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (36 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 4 years ago

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trump-mistak … r-bowl-win

I think my 5th grader knows that the Chiefs reside in Missouri and not Kansas. Should our President be aware of such things?

Honestly, I think the media is probably making too much of this. Geography is overrated anyway. One clearly doesn't need to know any geography to be President anyway.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

He's so dumb I'm not surprised at anything he says anymore. His enablers probably didn't notice anyway. tongue

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Of COURSE he should know that!  It is of vast importance to know the home location of every sports team in the country, after all!  I didn't know it, but certainly the President should have that fact secreted solidly in his memory. 

On top of that, to think that the "Kansas City Chiefs" even might reside in the third largest city in the state of Kansas, well, Everybody should know better than that, right?  I mean, you can tell right from their name that they are located in Missouri, right? lol

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You know, it's not a big deal that he didn't know it, but that he didn't take the time to know it so he could get it right. It's just another example of his sloppy, careless MO. In this caee, it's relatively trivial, but in many other cases, it's important.

1. wilderness profile image94

Yes, it's rather trivial, isn't it?  Not something to make a big deal of.

1. profile image0

Yet, it's something anyone else in his position would get right, because they would actually care.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

No one on your side ever makes a big deal out of his ignorance, Dan. You revel in it!

1. profile image0

Bill Maher made a new ad targeting Trump's brain, "a neurological mess."  big_smile

https://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-camp … ump-video/

1. GA Anderson profile image88
                GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Classic Bill Maher. I like sharp comedy.

GA

3. Eastward profile image79
      Eastwardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure your 5th grader probably knows a lot of things the President doesn't know. I'm fine with the President not knowing this off-hand. We all make mistakes or have gaps in our knowledge. I would, however, like a President with enough humility to trust in a team of people to fact check his statements before they go out to the world (or at least a President savvy enough to do a few seconds of Google research).

TRUMP SPEAKS AT FOURTH-GRADE LEVEL, LOWEST OF LAST 15 U.S. PRESIDENTS, NEW ANALYSIS FINDS
      https://www.newsweek.com/trump-fire-and … ama-774169

Trump speaks at level of 8-year-old, new analysis finds
      https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl … 49926.html

I'd say that maybe he's the type that needs to get his thoughts down into writing first and just isn't good at public speaking, but we've all seen the tweets. My benefit of the doubt meter is running on empty.

From some years ago, we were being told to write at about an 8th grade level on HP, because that's what the general population is reading at.

Are you sure you want him speaking at a college level?  Although he really should get anything he intends to say vetted first - these kind of accidents only give ammunition to opponents, however much it isn't really appropriate.

I think speaking at a college level should be required for a POTUS. Although he should be able to dumb it down for the  Republicans.

2. Eastward profile image79

I'm hoping that the readership on HP is edging up, though US adults seem to have weak performance in technological problem solving environments compared to decent literacy internationally https://www.proliteracy.org/What-We-Do/Advocacy/PIAAC (some interesting stats there). It may not be, but the President speaking at an 8th grade level would be a significant improvement.

I don't think there is much of a chance of the President speaking at a college level. Even if he was purposely limiting his vocabulary and speaking patterns to appeal to his base, there would be "accidents" in that regard as well. Sometimes, college level would come through.

I think we are in agreement the President can't be expected to be flawless and always know everything, but he should have trusted people to vet his statements. What would it take to have an assistant take a quick look at a statement before sending it out? It seems his ego won't allow it.

Whether 5th grade, 8th grade, or college level. I do expect more articulation that expressed in examples like this https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 … -windmills

We deserve that much.

We deserve more than Trump can accomplish with his dishonest rhetoric. This is plain to anyone with any sense at all.

1. Eastward profile image79

I agree that we deserve much better. Americans work hard, work long hours, take little vacations, and expect very little (if anything) in exchange for the taxes they pay. We deserve an honest President that genuinely is doing his best for the poor, working, and middle class (the upper classes too, but they've been coddled for the last 50 years). I'm eagerly watching the Iowa results come in.

Watching them as well, EW. I agree, we deserve an honest POTUS, but we have Trump instead. sad

3. crankalicious profile image88
          crankaliciousposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Dan, an excellent point. The average American reads at an 8th grade level. Many don't read at all.

If the President is reflective of the populous, we're probably getting what we deserve.

We need to update Teddy Roosevelt: speak plainly and carry a big stick.

I don't know he is "reflective" of the populous, or whether he is following the same road we were told to do.  I would strongly suspect that most of us here can communicate at a much higher level than 8th grade, just as I would assume that Trump can, too.  I've never been a part of his inner circle or family, so can't speak to how he talks when not in the public eye.  I assume rough and very non-pc, but neither of those have much to do with speaking at an 8th grade level.

But thinking back to his remarks to North Korea, he did seem to speak plainly (I thought the quote was to speak "softly", which Trump does not do) and carry a big stick.  Whether he would use that stick remains (thankfully) yet to be seen.  Although he has used his medium size stick a few times (tariffs, NATO, NAFTA, etc.)

1. crankalicious profile image88
              crankaliciousposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It was speak "softly". I was updating it! I think people appreciate plain speak.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

"And then we fell in love!"

4. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that. It's a football team. It's a city that crosses across two states. Should Trump have researched? Maybe. Does it matter? To nitpickers, maybe?

I think it's weird what football fans think any of us notice or care about their teams.

I suppose if you were going to discuss a team on a national TV program, you would bone up on it, correct?  But perhaps you'd simply fly by the seat of your pants as Trump did?

Which would you opt for, LTL?

1. Live to Learn profile image61

I asked my husband this morning. I assumed he'd think Kansas like I did. He knew they were in Missouri.

Shame on those show me staters. Couldn't think of a name for a city so just borrowed the name from Kansas. Creating confusion and hooplah. I'd recommend we change the name to drama queens but I think the left have claimed that title. smile

Indeed, how dare we expect the leader of the free world to do a bit of research before opening his mouth. Of course, we've grown accustomed to expect nothing of the sort from Trump.

1. Live to Learn profile image61

I agree. This gaffe is about as devastating as any of his others.

2. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 4 years ago

There is a Kansas City, Kansas. However, Trump has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer, and even though most everybody associates the Chiefs with KCMO, I could let him go on this one.

I could as well if I didn't know he was ignorant as hell of geography, among almost any other subject. He's not a reader, as everyone is aware of. I never have trusted  opinions from unread people, and Trump has only buttressed this belief.

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Randy, What worse about Trump if he is too stupid to even consider the depth of his ignorance in subjects he knows nothing about.

It is one thing to be ignorant, as described by Mark Twain. But this "stable genius" has a Godlike knowledge of everything under the sun. If we are not capable of even acknowledging the need to learn..... it is pretty pathetic.

Actually, it's "ugly" pathetic, Cred. More's the pity!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)